What's new

Fermented plant extracts

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea Clackamas thats where i originally got my comfrey. been dividing it ever since. turned 6 into a few dozen easily if not more. gave a ton away and planted like 20 of em.

ill have to say the best place to collect plants for extracts is nature. that is if you dont already grow it yourself :)

dune

im gonna make a extract of saw palmetto tonight i dunno what it will do but i damn sure gonna find out, time for this swamp land and me to start talking.

DARC MIND

Veteran
collected some nettle a while back, got a nice amount

made some FPE and put some to dry to make into a meal

made 5 gals, gave two away

next up will be comfrey(horizon cc!), still needs to grow a little more:tiphat:

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
im getting annoyed by not finding any good patches of nettles, anyone got any hunting tips?
Up here in the PNW they often grow where there is plenty of water,sometimes with water running right through a patch of them.
Usually in the shade as well (but not exclusively),more in cooler areas as compared to dryer/hot micro-climates in roughly the same square mile.

dune

yeah being in the SE is the ass backwards of there, least shrooms are legal. ill try looking around the rivers in more shady areas.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im getting annoyed by not finding any good patches of nettles, anyone got any hunting tips?

cant find any? grow it yourself! nettles have so many benefits its worth growing at home. i know i do. and darc mind above does as well. fresh nettles is more than just fertilizer. you can make rope ( almost as strong as hemp), food, mulch, soil building, and more.

but anyways, hunting tips is they like it near streams and creeks. in the dappled shade of the canopy trees.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
I haven't found any patches either but I haven't looked very hard. I found a few stray plants though, funny story I was down at my local riverwalk and I decided to inspect the area right next to the river... there was a plant that stood out to me so I decided to smell it... the bastard stung my nose! I have discovered the Stinging Nettle. And just after that I found 2 Stinging Nettles growing in a trough outside my house, in the shade as mentioned above by a few patrons. I'm not sure if bigger plants pack a bigger sting, but the ones I found were small and didn't pack much of a sting, I even ingested some raw samples with only minor stinging in my mouth, it wasn't bad at all.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
each patch seems to have its own sting potency cannaexits. ive had huge plants that stung me and it lasted 30 seconds. ive had tiny tiny plants sting me and last for days.

raw nettles are VERY good for you. the trick is to fold them up real good and chew with your front teeth. the rest goes down easy.

dune

ill have to try eating some instead of rolling in them. seems i got the ones that itch for a while. lol silly me.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol its ok i got stung the other day, made a big swollen area on my arm, everyone thought it looked painful but it wasn't that bad. but i also got 3 huge trashbags full of nettles.

S

schwagg

i got a little sting last night collecting nettles and creek water. here's a good tip, don't go collecting nettles in shorts.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol @ 14, when i found my 1st stinging nettle, i stung myself on purpose to see what it was like - not so bad (didn't do it again on purpose tho)

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok so now anyone who has gotten stung there are plants that are the cure to the sting. around here we have dock and broadleaved plantain.

and some people are more sensitive than others, some are immune. i usually let them do the harvesting lol.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol - there's been a time or 2 i got a sting (or 2) and didn't notice too much - just itches a little the next day

i find i can handle them w/ my hands/fingers w/ no concern - they only bother the fleshy softer skin like arms, legs, belly, not my hands though

MrFista

Veteran
You can grip them by placing hands down toward lower stem and lifting as you close your grip to pull all the stings upward, but you get the whole plant, I prefer cutting nettles leaving the root system for the soil microbes. Gloves and long sleeved shirt is always wise.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the best way to harvest them is "top" them just as we would our lovely cannabis plants. leaving lower nodes to grow back giving you multiple harvests instead of just one.

fista's trick works good for collecting the leaves only. leaving a bare stalk that will be good to make rope with.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
lol its ok i got stung the other day, made a big swollen area on my arm, everyone thought it looked painful but it wasn't that bad. but i also got 3 huge trashbags full of nettles.
Do you ever notice that you build up an tolerance after being stung on a regular basis?
I've kind of felt this may be happening to me or I'm just nuts.
Sometimes after being nailed by yellow jackets all summer,I kind of appreciate it for some benefit that my body is telling me to appreciate it for....and it fails to have an effect at the end of summer like it did before the season. It is quite diminished.
Nettles kind of do this to me also if I'm working around and moving through them a lot.

Latest posts

Latest posts