What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermented plant extracts

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree and, i have seen patches where theres no visible water but those also seem to show up in natural depressions

A

apep

Alright so heres my first plant grown exclusively with FPEs sorry if the picture isnt the best, got a cheap camera.

Shes just some bagseed. Used stinging nettles in veg. no ratios just diluted the water to a light green color.
For flowering used chamomile, yarrow foliar sprays early on, then soil drenches with spinach, broccoli, mung bean, and alfalfa sprouts. I like the sprouts there packed with all kinda good stuff.

Made my FPEs in a 2 liter soda bottle with Lacto B and a homemade fermentation lock, which is just a piece of 3/8" tubing bent in a circle with some water in it. Worked real well.

Thanks for all the input from everyone in this thread!

DARC MIND

Veteran
so far, every recipe ive extracted from here & tested myself has worked great. much thanks for this wonderfull thread and all who contributed here.

picture.php

doing test trails on this atm, plants are responded very well followind a slightly more diluted ratio from recipe.

a few randon images of this years goods from simple mulch,casting,ACT and the above

MrFista

Veteran
I cannot find the post or thread where a user posted his experience with camellia flower extract. His photographic evidence of it helping initiate flower was impressive, so I tried it.

I tried this camellia flower extract and it is a great flowering additive. I did not foliar just put it on the soil with water.

Half jar (100 mls) of camellia flower petals, one teaspoon molasses one teaspoon EM-A. Left for only three days it smelt beautiful. Added to normal water and applied (total 10 litres so 20:1 dilution.)

Absolutely no harmful effect. None, not even where it splashed on leaves. I think it's got beneficial effects though, no side by side, yet, but oh boy it sure seems to have made some plants extremely happy.

If someone knows the post I speak of please link it here for me. This totally warrants further investigation.

MrFista

Veteran
Thanks Jay.

The original poster was bonsai - they did this "A 1:1 mix of finely chopped camellia flowers were combined with rainwater (ph ~6.5) and left for 2 weeks."

Go to page two of the above link to see what happened to the flowers it got applied to.

bonsai

The original poster was bonsai - they did this "A 1:1 mix of finely chopped camellia flowers were combined with rainwater (ph ~6.5) and left for 2 weeks."

I'm now using that same batch of camelia FPE on a GHS arjan's haze #3 and a Nirvana northern lights x haze. It still smells lovely after all this time. Stored in a relatively dark, cool spot.

N

ngen

hey jay, do you think that anything aside from the nutrients comes out with the extract (for example certain phytohormones)?

i've been thinking about making a bamboo extract (i have ample supplies of growing bamboo) for things around 2-4 weeks of age, i'd probably use it more for other plants than canna- wouldnt want the girls to get too lanky if it worked. (i figure that if it did extract any bamboo hormones it would probably be ones that just said 'grow tall quicker!')
or should i just use more kelp lol?
but yeah any info would be awesome.
much thanks, peace ngen.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i believe that certain plant "chemicals" are extracted in the early processes of the extracts, but over time they eventually break down into there original components(say months after its originally made). that is one reason i feel plant extracts are far better than anything you can buy, because nature produces plant chemicals that can not be duplicated in a lab. some of those plant chemicals i feel have great effects on the plant.

not 100% sure on the bamboo though, i use it for building things here. trellising, bamboo shade cloth, etc...

h.h.

Veteran
And I thought finally a use for ragweed...good thing I looked it up.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4044634
I would urge caution with experimentation on valuable crops. The compost underneath many species only allows them to grow and inhibits other plants.
Am I wrong in thinking so?

MrFista

Veteran
i believe that certain plant "chemicals" are extracted in the early processes of the extracts, but over time they eventually break down into there original components(say months after its originally made). that is one reason i feel plant extracts are far better than anything you can buy, because nature produces plant chemicals that can not be duplicated in a lab. some of those plant chemicals i feel have great effects on the plant.

I agree with this entire train of thought, all the reasoning is correct to my limited organic chem understanding. I have witnessed and studied how we try to make organic chemicals and boy oh boy it is hardly ever easy. FPE's are a great way to extract hormones, enzymes, and many other useful molecules including nutrients.

Saying what exactly is in the FPE.... Very difficult. Lots of cash and facilities and brains required. But we can observe what FPE's do for our plants and slowly work things out.

I have no proof that camellias contain something that enhances flowering except my happy plants, and bonsais awesome photo. Bonsais photo is much better evidence than what I offered.

But what was in the camellia extract that had such a profound effect on bonsai's shrub? I think there may be a transcription factor (kicks genes off) at play. But it could be a hormone that sets off a transcription factor, perfect balance of nutes creating a gradient that sets off a hormone that then sets off...

When the anecdotal evidence is good enough, someone will steal it, bottle it, and call it CAMELBAC (camellia bacillus) for only $89.95 for 4 fluid ounces.

This thread is gold. Take notes, make your own Budswell. :artist:

Thanks for enlightening me to this process gang :)

I got buckwheat, mint, basil, shamrock soaking in jars for bout' a month. They still smell nice & fresh.

Also got a nice collection of dry flowers jarred up - great plan guys.

Lookin' forward to testing this out soon.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And I thought finally a use for ragweed...good thing I looked it up.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4044634
I would urge caution with experimentation on valuable crops. The compost underneath many species only allows them to grow and inhibits other plants.
Am I wrong in thinking so?

yes some plants do have allelopathic effects on others. this is why it is very important to either know the plant you are working with, or doing side testing before trying the extracts on plants of importance. so your not wrong, but i haven't found very many of those, and ive tried dozens and dozens of different plants. specially since i put a little research into a plant before i try it, so usually after the research its easy to tell if its worth extracting or just compost.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
jaykush I'm totally on board with having tester plants now :) I just set aside a few extra clones of the plants i am running to use as testers. This way i can have even cultivar specific feedback, if there happen to be noticeable effects. Carefully observing the plant that might be used for testing and it's surrounding environment definitely can give some very good clues and cues on certain characteristics it has.

h.h. what search criteria/engine did you use to find that citation? I have a few odd plants in the backyard that i was thinking of using for various concoctions. :D This is really fun and i'm learning an immense amount.

thanks everyone :D

Ninja420

so far, every recipe ive extracted from here & tested myself has worked great. much thanks for this wonderfull thread and all who contributed here.

picture.php

doing test trails on this atm, plants are responded very well followind a slightly more diluted ratio from recipe.

a few randon images of this years goods from simple mulch,casting,ACT and the above

Darc Mind,

I was wondering how you made that calcium phosphate extract?

Ninja

DARC MIND

Veteran
post# 3
"Here is a simple, natural method of generating calcium phosphate. Get eggshells and roast them enough to generate some good ashes. Afterwhich, dip these roasted eggshells on about equal visual volume of vinegar. Allow it to sit for a couple of weeks until eggshells are practically broken down by the vinegar acids. You may use this diluted 20 parts water and can be sprayed or watered to the plants during the changeover period."

i used oystershell powder,roasred in BBQ, then let sit in vinegar for 3wks. unique smell, this process
looked like grey mud at end,screened, added 20 parts watr then bottled

N

ngen

i believe that certain plant "chemicals" are extracted in the early processes of the extracts, but over time they eventually break down into there original components(say months after its originally made). .

I agree with this entire train of thought, all the reasoning is correct to my limited organic chem understanding. I have witnessed and studied how we try to make organic chemicals and boy oh boy it is hardly ever easy. FPE's are a great way to extract hormones, enzymes, and many other useful molecules including nutrients.

for sure, thank you guys i had been wondering about that for a bit.

Latest posts

Latest posts