What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermented plant extracts

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hasent happened to me. it totally depends on the nettles how bad the sting is. i might go harvesting and get stung by them all day and not feel anything, then get to one patch and get stung and it ends my harvesting lol. nettles in full sun seem to be stronger but i cant say thats 100% true because some shade nettles have gotten me good haha.

overall its not that bad, if your careful or have good gloves you wont get stung at all. well worth it to get all that nettle goodness.

MrFista

Veteran
Aye Cap'n. The human immune system is a thing of marvellous wonders. Your body has developed memory cells that recognise the toxin so when it arrives in your system defense production is immediate with blueprints for effective defense weaponry already available.

Great tip once again Jay, you should be a professor of organic pot.

DARC MIND

Veteran
right on fista
some nettle do seem to have a stronger effect onced stung. ive been getting hit with nettle ever since i started collecting and growing myself but most new nettle spots i find seem to sting worse then the nettle im growing in the garden...

any one else notice the very sweet aroma nettle gives out when harvesting?
ive cut my way threw a few lush nettle bushes and i always smell this sweet licorice kind of scent

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Aye Cap'n. The human immune system is a thing of marvellous wonders. Your body has developed memory cells that recognise the toxin so when it arrives in your system defense production is immediate with blueprints for effective defense weaponry already available.

Great tip once again Jay, you should be a professor of organic pot.
Good news..I was hoping I wasn't nuts...maybe it's too late.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys are lucky I've searched all over to find nettles but with no luck in my neck of the woods.

its ok there are dozens of other plants to use. nettles is one of many. it does grow all over the world though so it could just be hiding near you. another great veg fert to replace nettles is alfalfa.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Modifying Gil Carandang's recipe for a flowering FPE, I used AEM with his recommendation of bananas, papaya and squash (the later 2 for their betacarotene content).

It should take 2 - 3 weeks to properly ferment which will work out for the 4 plants that I have in the veg room. I'll be curious to see what effect this mixture will have on the bud sets/sites.

CC

dune

Keep us posted CC could u post a quote to the recipe id love to get it started. just so i have a jump start if it does good for you. keep us posted -Dune

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
Ok so, I have no Nettles in my yard aside from ONE plant that happened to show up in a trough in front of my house, elevated like 3 feet off the ground. It's like destiny.

Well I decided I wanted it in my garden. Based on the old "grab the nettle" adage - saying that if you grab the nettle firmly and intently, like a man should, it won't sting you - I decided to transplant the specimen by grasping the stem and placing it in its new location. I was rewarded with an INVIGORATING sting on every touch receptor on the palm of my hand. My middle finger was just feeling hot-cold-numb for a few seconds there. My hand has never felt so alive.

A

apep

Anybody ever try using chamomile, I think they use it in biodynamics and was just wondering if it would make a good fpe. Thanks

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chamomile is a good foliar spray in veg and good for seedlings as a foliar to prevent damping off and encourage good young growth. also used as a light soil drench in mid flower.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Jay, my flower tea i made 4/18 has a little mold floating around in it now

my 1st instinct is to toss it out and make more

but - does it hurt? maybe the mold (or whatever it is) is a good sign?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just stir it in.

on the other hand i hope you haven't been waiting this long to use that stuff. i bet it was done weeks ago.

what is your flower tea made up of? looks like a few different plants. its best imo to make all the extracts separately, and either apply at different times( best option imo because they all promote different growth and biological stimulus ) or mix them together before application. i never had as good of results when mixing them all together and then fermenting.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have been using it - basically like a store bought bottle of nutes - since day 3 - a month doesn't seem like too long to continue using the stuff

i wonder how soon it "expires?"

i definitely need to do some figuring and come up w/ a better program - like mixing more in the compost pile and isolating more in the FPEs then

been using the mixed flower tea like bloom nutes and alfalfa tea like veg nutes - works good too!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol it is almost basically a bottled nute that you made yourself. and they actually used to make sell nettle tea in France on a large scale but i think they made it illegal. ( probably the chemical companies got screwed because its so cheap to make and so effective)

i suggest if your going to be storing your teas, strain out the plant material. and actually after a few months the liquid turns clear( i have yet to figure out why) but that's when the stuff kicks ass as a biological stimulant. i usually leave the plant matter in there for 2-3 weeks, then take it out and toss on the compost or on top of some mulch, or worms.

as for expiration....i have used teas 7-9 months old with good results. as long as its stored well.

the mixed stuff works, i just think you can do more fine tuning if you keep them separate. which in turn gives you the highest quality nugs. but for someone just getting to know this method. either way works fine.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rockin' jay - yeah i strained veg matter out @ 3 days and bottled (before was open milk jug for extraction)

they definitely dont smell like anything you might sip anymore (blech - the alfalfa straight up stinks)

i m foraging for nettles but haven't found a patch of them yet

A

apep

Hey xmobotx, try lookin for those nettles around streams and river banks especially if theres alot of trees. That seems to be the only places I can find them in my area

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah they are def a water loving plant - though they say to grow it in fertile well drained soil

regionally, there's lots of it in my area - but not real local to me (walking distance) i m a homebody FTMP

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
id say they love shade and rich soil before water. but where there is a stream, nettles shouldn't be far.

Latest posts

Latest posts