What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermented plant extracts

neongreen

Veteran
Got ya now I think.

So those products would be supplemental to inoculating with EM1? I didn't realize (or perhaps I just forgot!) that beer and sake were still "living".

Yeah, very interesting!

One other thing I'm unsure about - If I'm keeping the bin in the kitchen, and adding kitchen scraps, the bin will be mostly full of air, especially at the start. Not to mention the scraps sit on a platform with holes in it, so the liquid can drain through, and obviously there is an air space beneath, at least till liquid starts to fill it. Won't that be bad? Am I missing something?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Got ya now I think.

So those products would be supplemental to inoculating with EM1? I didn't realize (or perhaps I just forgot!) that beer and sake were still "living".

Yeah, very interesting!

One other thing I'm unsure about - If I'm keeping the bin in the kitchen, and adding kitchen scraps, the bin will be mostly full of air, especially at the start. Not to mention the scraps sit on a platform with holes in it, so the liquid can drain through, and obviously there is an air space beneath, at least till liquid starts to fill it. Won't that be bad? Am I missing something?
neogreen

Let me try and answer your questions in the order that you asked them without a bunch of HTML bull-sh*t.

1. The processes outlined by Jaykush via his links is NOT as a supplement to the EM-1 product but rather, if I understand what he was trying to convey, an alternative to buying an off-the-shelf product like EM-1

2. RE: Bokashi composting - part of the problem for people trying to find information about 'bokashi' is that this term describes 2 completely different products/processes are affiliated with the term 'bokashi' and I'll try to explain.

By taking a product like EM-1 (or your own homegrown 'BMI') you can inoculate wheat bran, rice bran, wood chips, et al. with the inoculant, let it dry and it's now a 'something' that you can add to your soil mix (highly recommended), or as the deal for your 'bokashi composting' tub that you bought.

RE: Bokashi bucket - as you add produce or whatever to your bucket and add 'bokashi bran' to the mixture, yes there is 'air' but when the bucket is filled and sealed, that is when the fermentation (or anaerobic composting - whatever term you prefer) occurs.

Once the items in the bucket are 'fermented' then you must do something with it. Some choices that you have are adding this 'muck' to a regular compost pile (best option, IMHO) or adding this muck to a large worm bin (with at least 40 lbs. of worms, IMHO) or you can bury this muck in your regular garden between the rows of plants and the garden's microbes and nightcrawlers will make quick work of this 'pre-digested compost'

What I'm trying to say is that once the 'bokashi composting' process is complete (i.e. a PH of 3.8 or lower) then you still have to process it further to make use of the muck.

I hope that makes sense - it 'sort of' does for me but then I'm writing and not necessarily reading. LOL

HTH

CC

neongreen

Veteran
Thanks for clarifying that Coot.

I'm just making up the mixture using nettles (roots an all). Now all I need to do is add the EM and let it sit!

I have tones of Ivy growing here (although I'll have to check if its the right species), so I think that will be next up.

I just got my EM today (250 ml), and I already have to order a new bottle lol

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
neon

For some, but not all applications, you can take the mother culture (EM-1) and make what is called "Activated EM" (AEM) and really save money. I've used AEM for making bokashi bran, general soil treatments, foliar applications, etc.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
From EM America: How to make Activated EM-1

There are several web sites giving their directions/methods. Personally I like to add a bit of rock dust (Azomite, rock phosphorus, Canadian Glacial Rock Dust - it doesn't really matter), a bit of organic sea salt and a small amount of kelp meal. Look around the web and you'll be buried with information/opinions so I won't bore you with mine!

LOL

CC

neongreen

Veteran
Yeah, that's what I was going to do with the remaining EM. Still have 50 ml left, so I'll get some bran and inoculate that for the bokashi bin. Good idea on adding the rock dust/kelp meal. I have a bit I can use :smile: No salt though!

I've still got to order more EM if I want to try the Ivy. Regretting not getting a liter now, but now I only need another 500ml at most!

I have a load of left over nettles (perhaps 3-4 kg minus roots, and perhaps 3/4 kg with roots), and I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with it, although I want to preserve some (drying and/or freezing which I think might be a good idea?) for future use. I think I want to keep them separate, since the roots have anti-fungal properties. Some will go straight into the bokashi bin too.

I'm using a food processor to grind up the plants quite fine which seems easier than cutting them up by hand, but I think I have a bit more plant than the recipe calls for because of that (measuring by volume). Hopefully that won't harm it, but I'll try to accommodate for that next time.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
neon

EM America sells a sea salt product that is priced beyond stupidity. I use one of the gourmet salts like the grey salt from Europe, pink salt, et al. Not Morton's or any other sodium chloride product.

The link is worth a read.

While I like EM and the various extensions (like SCD Bio Ag) and formulas, some of their marketing statements border on the nutty.

Like this one from their salt product page:
This sea salt is harvested directly from the Okinawan sea during the full moon to capture the maximum amount of energy from the ocean and the moon.
LMAO

CC

neongreen

Veteran
lol, yeah, I'm with you on that Coot!

It's a little off-putting I have to say!

Thanks for the link.

I got a few pics which I've uploaded

Chopped nettles
picture.php

picture.php

The container I'm using for the FPE
picture.php

Does that look like it's going to work? There are one or two air pockets between the plastic sheet and container!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
add more water, i would double that amount( or if you have it use the other half lacto bacillus culture) other than that your doing just fine good luck! :)

neongreen

Veteran
OK will do. which would be better - water from the rain butt, or I'll just boil the kettle to dechlorinate some tap water?

Unfortunately the lacto bacillus is still being cultured. A few more days and I add the milk.

Ta for the tips jay!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just use any water, but i don't suggest boiling it. let some sit out overnight and add it after most if not all the chlorine evaporated.

then just play the waiting game, strain, dilute and apply :)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Jaykush

I started an experiment today in an attempt to find another 'tool' to fight mites.

I took a 'BMI' which is based using organic non-pasteurized miso, kefir extract, natto and fermented bamboo shoots. This gives me a total of 400+ lactobacillus strains. To that I added organic fish bone meal, kelp meal, Azomite, sea salt and pure humic acid (90%+).

To fight mites I added 2 each habanero chiles, 4 semi-rotted garlic cloves, need seem meal and finally some soybean meal.

It's fermenting for about 2 hours. I'm hopeful that the ingredients that I've chosen will prove to be effective against mites.

I'll report on my findings.

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
400+ lacto b strains huh. are you battling mites, or do they pop in every now and then?

the hab and garlic spray, best to chop it up well in a blender, and let ferment in the sun for a week. then i used to dilute, add yucca after diluting and then foliar spray it.

but to be honest ever since i started using plant extracts, pests have been on the extremely low side. specially with regular nettle foliar sprays in veg.

anyways good luck! mites can be a pain in the ass.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
400+ lacto b strains huh. are you battling mites, or do they pop in every now and then?
Jaykush

Not for me personally and that's because I'm completely 'anal' about spraying my 5 plants with seaweed extract which has been known for over 90 years to be effective to preventing mite eggs to hatch. I also spray neem oil and yucca extract twice a week.

Most of my efforts are to help medical growers here in Oregon who for the most part are clueless about growing anything. My experiment is probably a fool's errand but what the heck, eh?

I hope that my efforts will be effective - at the very least it will be interesting.

CC