What's new

Fermented plant extracts

B

BugJar

I always thought lactobacillus was sensitive to light.

I go to bed less foolish tonight

Last edited:

Oregonism

oreganisms caught the copy/paste bug! who's next?!?!

Well tell me how I approach this then?

I understand I have stepped on toes, however, I still stand by my statements until proved otherwise:

I think I have some data here that I interpreted that argues that linalool under the current constructs isn't water soluble in a soak. Unfortunately it is also these other great terpenes and terpenoids that I set out to use as well: camphor, limonene, etc.

I am actively working to examine FPE and actively identify the biochemical makeup especially of plant material. There are many active chemicals in plants that are hydrolysable, but without much research or data collecting. I am attempting to narrow that gap.

I work with over 50-100 different plants, there is a lot of data that comes out.

I have worked in chemistry, specifically aqueous chemistry, I am not the greatest, but after 10 years or so, I have a few things down and don't won't to step on toes, but some of the negative tone is bothersome.

W89

Veteran
Bump!

Started making some FPE's today, 1 stinging nettle, 1 Dandelion, and 1 Comfrey.

I gathered my plants, cut them into small bits, stuffed them into 2 ltr bottles and added about a 3/4 of a ltr of water.. I put the lids on but put a little pin head size hole in them..

A Question... after a month or so should I just strain the contents of the bottles and put them into clean bottles and keep them in the fridge? will they last a couple months like that? just wanting to make some nutrients for this years outdoor season on the cheap.. will be planting straight into final pots so the soil will be light on nutrients as i dont want to fry my little auto seedlings.. I gathered with stinging nettle/comfrey and dandelion the nutrient needs will be filled.

W89

Veteran
Well tell me how I approach this then?

I understand I have stepped on toes, however, I still stand by my statements until proved otherwise:

I think I have some data here that I interpreted that argues that linalool under the current constructs isn't water soluble in a soak. Unfortunately it is also these other great terpenes and terpenoids that I set out to use as well: camphor, limonene, etc.

I am actively working to examine FPE and actively identify the biochemical makeup especially of plant material. There are many active chemicals in plants that are hydrolysable, but without much research or data collecting. I am attempting to narrow that gap.

I work with over 50-100 different plants, there is a lot of data that comes out.

I have worked in chemistry, specifically aqueous chemistry, I am not the greatest, but after 10 years or so, I have a few things down and don't won't to step on toes, but some of the negative tone is bothersome.

lighten up mate ffs

Hey W, I had a Burdock FPE all winter long...just used it up a week or two ago. Kept her in the fridge like ya said. The thing with FPE's is they smell so fucking awful that I'm not really sure either how to tell if it's gone bad.

W89

Veteran
alright my son? I think the 3 combined should give me everything needed, I will still use kelp and neem botanical teas but for the base of my nutrients these FPE's.. I ditched an attempt of making a syrup as it started getting all this white shit in it, it was dandelion and comfrey, the comfrey one smelt like hay-not that bad really

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i made a flower FPE and it had a surprising smell @ 1st ~ i almost wanted to drink it

sort of a tang but sweet fruit thing

but by the 3rd day it went to more of an acrid foul thing like the 1st was there but it had gotten a little less 'hmmm; i wonder what that might taste like' now

it was powerful i would put a TBS to a gallon of water and get a little leaf curl ~a tsp to a gallon was better and still plenty strong

i cant remember but something did go wrong and it went super-skank so i threw it in the compost

W89

Veteran
when its fermented enough do you just strain them and they are ready?
my stinging nettle one smells like raspberry and the comfrey like alfalfa lol

VortexPower420

Veteran
I have a question for all of you that have experimented with FPE's and other plant teas for a while.

Has anyone tried Colts foot
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/duke/farmacy2.pl
That is what I have found to be what is in it. Do any of thoes stand out as plant stimulating.

I see a high K but that is about it.

Colts foot is one of the first flowers to come out in the spring. I my area it is invasave and I have a whole shit load. Interesting thing about the Colts foot is the flower comes out and sets seeds before the leaves come out.

I figure it must have a lot of stored up energy and flowering hormones to set seed before they ever photosynthesize.

Could be interesting I am out to chop a whole bunch tomm morning when they first one up and chop them.

Spring has finally sprung when I am located so all this free plant nutrients and stimulants are exciting.

Also starting a fresh dandelion tea tomm

Any thoughts on the solts foot would be great

Hey W, You got a extract goin atm? I've got one started a few days ago. Ideally I would like to be able to store it for a solid year.

I'm not sure if I should make an FPE and see how long it will store or if I can take the dandelions and dry them for use in the future?

W89

Veteran
Mine are still in the shed atm, thanks for reminding me lol will go check tomorrow... Ive dried comfrey leaves out got some in a bag with all my amendments ect, the dandelions are getting real big around here so gonna go collect a load more at some point, I'm really skint atm so free ferts are really gonna help me out this year

Dkgrower

Veteran
If u use LAB as fermentor u can monitor the fermentation process by checking the pH - when it get around 3.5 the fermentation process is finish and the liquid should be filter off and stored.

Btw i started to use alot more molasse in every run 10% of total volume.

Nettels and dandelions are soon ready to be harvested and made in FPE.

I really feel that u need to plan ahead to have quality FPE rdy to use when the plants needs it.

Anyway this tread changed my growing so much and i love all u guys for spreading good information

W89

Veteran
I just shredded some plant matter and added water to it and left it in the shed.. simples

shmalphy

Veteran
I have been drying dandelions.. The FPE stinks to high hell, I can't imagine it after a year.

Also found some horsetail, I will be drying that as well.

B

bajangreen

I got some FPEs that are a year old they were kept in pep bottles with the cover on, they are clear liquids (some have a slight golden,brown tint) with no smell but different tastes all in the acid range, all have sediment. are they good to use still?

Whoa dude...balls of steel...tasting your FPE's???

Shmalphy...so it's all good just to dry the dandy's and make a tea when I need it?? That would be my preferred method anyhow.

mapinguari

Veteran
bajangreen, I am using comfrey FPE and nettle FPE, both made in 2011, and they seem to work well.

They certainly do have a smell, however.

EDIT: Should have written "made in 2012" sorry...

Last edited: