What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermented plant extracts

bigshrimp

Veteran
Think of spines on nettles as tiny brittle syringes, if you grasp directly they will puncture your skin. If you grab them at the base and slide up when you harvest, you break the spines and don't have stinging hand.

If you get all stung, there is a plant that i can usually find a few feet away that is great for skin rashes.
picture.php

View image in gallery

Common name is jewelweed, impatens genus. Just crush up leaves and smear on on poison ivy, nettle, bee stings. Should give some relief.

If not sure of the id, pick a leaf and hold underwater. You will see a shiny reflective underside to the leaf...

Happy gathering

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Cacti will vary since they are such a diverse group of plants. I am sure if you look into specific species, then you will get more information about minerals, and other things in them. Look in the aloe thread or search for yucca information. While not cacti they are succulents and have similar traits broadly speaking. good luck

Scrappy4

Veteran
Fermented kale, anyone tried it yet? I've started a five gallon batch, but do not recall anyone doing kale.

Scrappy4

Veteran
I dont see why it wouldnt work out in adding something good...

You do a comparison of its nutrients from an analysis?

No, it was more.like a crime of opportunity. The kale, bucket and water were available. It was left over as I took down our garden. My wife already canned 8 plants and it was ferment or compost, and ferment won.

VortexPower420

Veteran
I use kale as mulch, with other common salad and cooking greens.

Seems to work great for a mulch. Can't see why for would be bad.

Timbuktu

I use kale as mulch, with other common salad and cooking greens.

Seems to work great for a mulch. Can't see why for would be bad.

Timbuktu

yea, I do the same this year.
I grow a 50ft row of kale this year, 3 different varieties, and WOW
do i have a lot more that the cooler season kicked in, fall.

Its about 3-4 ft tall with 2ft leaves the Tuscan kale.

the siberian,, WOW ... like 3ft leaves.

self

Has anyone made and used a mint fpe?
Mint is a vigorous and rampant weed in my garden, so filling a bucket and fermenting seemed like the obvious thing to do after I chopped my comfrey and nettle patches.
From a very brief search it seems like it might be a good all around mold and insect spray, but I'm a little worried it's antibacterial properties might work against my other sprays?
Thanks you! This thread has added 50 pages since I last posted here, amazing!

bigshrimp

Veteran
Has anyone made and used a mint fpe?
Mint is a vigorous and rampant weed in my garden, so filling a bucket and fermenting seemed like the obvious thing to do after I chopped my comfrey and nettle patches.
From a very brief search it seems like it might be a good all around mold and insect spray, but I'm a little worried it's antibacterial properties might work against my other sprays?
Thanks you! This thread has added 50 pages since I last posted here, amazing!

Mint is a great botanical extract, and is very useful in pest control. I have a few varieties that i use. I blend up a handful add to a gallon of water. After about 24 hours i strain and use this as a base for my neem recipe.

I have not used it as a FPE, which is meant to extract its nutrient content.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
there was some usa university website that had the massive npk list for all plants, link?

if i make a fermented plant extract from fireweed, which is apparently high in calcium, will the calcium be extracted and be usable by the plant?