What's new

Enzyme Test

D

dongle69

Day 9

Day 9

Here we are on day 9 and things look pretty much the same:

Pretty lame considering one of the selling points of these products is that they break down dead root material.
Again, there may be other uses for these products, but so far they aren't doing jack shit!

D

dongle69

do enzymes sterilize?
if so, then it would not matter how long it take to decompose

Many people use these products to break down dead root material, so the length of time it takes for that to happen is very important.

Can someone tell me why you care- why this is important- and is it of importance to all mediums(soil, coco, hydro)? Thanks.

Although the marketers claim that enzymes somehow improve plant growth, the real benefits of enzymes have to do with the prevention of root rot and the break-down of dead root material. Root rot can happen in any container garden, no matter if you are growing in coco, rockwool, or soil. To keep the roots healthy precise pH and nutrient control and enzymes are necessary.

ackuric

Enzymes are biomolecules that catalyze (i.e., increase the rates of) chemical reactions.[1][2] Almost all enzymes are proteins. In enzymatic reactions, the molecules at the beginning of the process are called substrates, and the enzyme converts them into different molecules, the products. Almost all processes in a biological cell need enzymes to occur at significant rates. Since enzymes are selective for their substrates and speed up only a few reactions from among many possibilities, the set of enzymes made in a cell determines which metabolic pathways occur in that cell.

Like all catalysts, enzymes work by lowering the activation energy (Ea or ΔG‡) for a reaction, thus dramatically increasing the rate of the reaction. Most enzyme reaction rates are millions of times faster than those of comparable un-catalyzed reactions.

Enzymes are known to catalyze about 4,000 biochemical reactions.[3] A few RNA molecules called ribozymes catalyze reactions, with an important example being some parts of the ribosome.[4][5] Synthetic molecules called artificial enzymes also display enzyme-like catalysis.[6]

Enzyme activity can be affected by other molecules. Inhibitors are molecules that decrease enzyme activity; activators are molecules that increase activity. Many drugs and poisons are enzyme inhibitors. Activity is also affected by temperature, chemical environment (e.g., pH), and the concentration of substrate.

just an idea....dunno what your temps are, but warming up the jars to like 75-80* to speed up the process. You could throw the jars into something like a 9x13" baking dish of warm water to keep the temps uniform.

Thanks for posting this up!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is sad

we pay this price to see no results, maybe there are microscopic things happening, but for the price of these products... we should request time lapse videos as I have to say right now were wasting our time using these products

I'm gonna call up spico some time and tell them about this ( I also have some roots in a jar and nothing happening ) and see what they have to say

ackuric

I'm gonna have to disagree that enzymes (store bought) are necessary for healthy roots.

disagreement = argument

you're arguing that enzymes aren't necessary for healthy root production.

Bozo

I am confused .Are people expecting to see live roots dissapear? Fresh cut roots placed in water will take time to die the enzymes will only speed up the process .No need to get too excited yet I dont think you want to use any of these enzyme products at strenghts that would dissolve white roots .I guess we should ask ourselves what we expect from an enzyme product.I want a bacteria free enzyme to help sanitize my resevior between cleanings ,and break down dead root keeping living root mass healthy and able to take water and nutrients in more effeciently

I am confused .Are people expecting to see live roots dissapear? Fresh cut roots placed in water will take time to die the enzymes will only speed up the process .No need to get too excited yet I dont think you want to use any of these enzyme products at strenghts that would dissolve white roots .I guess we should ask ourselves what we expect from an enzyme product.I want a bacteria free enzyme to help sanitize my resevior between cleanings ,and break down dead root keeping living root mass healthy and able to take water and nutrients in more effeciently
LOL this is a great and funny test,

i grow in coco and each run i dump my used coco in barrels after harvest filed with roots......I re use my medium over and over and over,,

IT takes time for the enzymes to work on DRyed dead medium usaully a 3 week period........I have been broke and out of enzymes and when i did not treat my coco.......at 8 weeks later when i needed the batch of coco It was still loaded with root mass......

D

dongle69

disagreement = argument

you're arguing that enzymes aren't necessary for healthy root production.

Well, millions of grows happen without any store bought enzymes.
Healthy roots and all.
I've tried about every popular enzyme out there over the last 3 years and my roots were no better than the previous 20 years of growing without the enzymes.
Are you saying people have to buy enzymes for healthy root production?

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran

I was just gonna ask. Are those roots dead yet.

Mabey we could try a paper towel, cut up apple or something?

D

dongle69

I'm expecting to see dead roots get chewed up by the enzymes as advertised.
I don't think that these roots that I cut 9 days ago are still alive.

D

dongle69

Mabey we could try a paper towel, cut up apple or something?

I'm trying to get rid of roots here.
A paper towel or applesauce would be too easy.
That is why Canna wants you to test it that way.
Of course, feel free to do all the testing that you desire.
I would enjoy seeing the results.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Dead organic material is dead organic material. They advertise the breakdown of dead organic material. You think these products are programed to break down certain dead organic material. Only diff is some may take longer than others.

Are you trying to get rid of live organic material, or dead? As stated before that makes a difference. Theres no reason not to believe those roots sitting in water are not still alive.
For the sake of an accurate test, i think we should all be on the same page.

Canna might have suggested using paper towels, and applesauce because they are easily available to everyone, but I dont have dead roots lying around.

I agree with the enzyme naysayers. Enzymes are like car insurance. Just as most times you drive, you don't have an accident, most times the grow may be fine without enzymes. A plant with root rot will not normally survive however. So why not ensure the safety of your valuable grow with enzymes? And if you do choose to buy insurance, is it better to pay 40$ per grow for hydro enzymes, or 10$ every YEAR for pond enzymes?

Dead organic material is dead organic material. They advertise the breakdown of dead organic material. You think these products are programed to break down certain dead organic material. Only diff is some may take longer than others.

Are you trying to get rid of live organic material, or dead? As stated before that makes a difference. Theres no reason not to believe those roots sitting in water are not still alive.
For the sake of an accurate test, i think we should all be on the same page.

Canna might have suggested using paper towels, and applesauce because they are easily available to everyone, but I dont have dead roots lying around.

I agree.