What's new

Enzyme Test

D

dongle69

Question for the experts...

How long does it take for a root to die after it is cut from a plant?

This test has nothing to do with the multitude of uses for enzymes, as there are already threads discussing that.
This thread is strictly to find out if the enzymes break the shit down, and how long it takes.

I'm wondering why people are getting upset.
Perhaps because they are paying $125 a gallon for this stuff?

KindHypnos

How long does it take for a root to die after it is cut from a plant?

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd have to say on general assumption that dry=dead.... so not to say that roots will not die in water, just that taking live roots and putting them in water is going to aid in their "lifespan" so to speak..... I would think that dry roots placed in the same solution would decompose faster, but that's just a guess.

D

dongle69

Theres no reason not to believe those roots sitting in water are not still alive.

That is a confusing statement.
Do you mean to say that there is no reason to believe that the roots are dead?

For the sake of an accurate test, i think we should all be on the same page.
I think we are on page 3.

...I dont have dead roots lying around.
You should have some every two months or so, eh?

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Sorry my statement was confusing, im guess that those roots are not dead yet. that may be the reason why your not seing results yet.

No i dont have dead roots every few months because im still a noob who concentrates more on changing my grow room then sticking with on thing and working with, so im not even close to an expert. Im as much as a rookie as they come. I was just thinking out loud in your thread cause im very interested in the results, because i would like to reuse my coco. But will in no way pay the price hydo companies charge for enzymes.

Thanks for doin the test. My post were nothing more than suggestions. Smoke1

D

dongle69

Sorry my statement was confusing, im guess that those roots are not dead yet. that may be the reason why your not seing results yet.
No i dont have dead roots every few months because im still a noob who concentrates more on changing my grow room then sticking with on thing and working with, so im not even close to an expert. Im as much as a rookie as they come. I was just thinking out loud in your thread cause im very interested in the results, because i would like to reuse my coco. But will in no way pay the price hydo companies charge for enzymes.
Thanks for doin the test. My post were nothing more than suggestions. Smoke1

Cool, thanks for that.
I'm rooting for the pond enzyme!

Bozo

I wasnt stirring the pot asking if roots were dead .I would also like to say thanks for doing the test it is more than I am willing to do .If people dont like the test you could always don your own.

hbstoner

Possibly let the roots sit in a jar of just water for a week before you add any enzymes.. then you might have some good root rot going and see if the enzymes work faster then? Either way I think this is a totally worth while experiment...

S

Shan Diego

Praise

Praise

I don't have all that many posts on this site, but I have read lots of them. My conclusion is this: this is, by far, one of the most intelligent threads I've come across. Kudos to y'all. I'm thrilled, and (without naming names dongle, et al...) I am quite impressed with your methodology.

My mom worked in a sugar factory when I was in her belly...they processed sugar beets into sugar, and bagged it into bags labeled C&H, S&W and 8 other brands of goods, with a variety of retail price ranges. However, fundamentally, they were all identical. I think the comparison applies here...'zymes are 'zymes...although, in the next experiment I would like to see a properly designed control group.

Oh, and if you are not in recirculating coco yet, you should be...

i bought a container of pond zyme after reading the thread here about pond cleaners. i put one scoop that should treat 100 gallons of water into a one liter container with some leaves and roots, after several days all that i noticed was a stink from the water.
i dont think enzymes live up to what they claim, but as long as if they sterilize for the next grow is cool with me. i have a bunch ill be using it anyway.
anyone know if this is safe to ingest?, a pond zyme colon cleanse

ackuric

I dont need pics to prove enzymes work, all I need is experience.

Neighbor had a Hawaiin Skunk in a bubble bucket and the roots were starting to go black/brown.

Purchased Hygrozyme

3 days after application all the roots are back to white

Coincidence, I think not, no other changes were made.

Continue on.

D

dongle69

I dont need pics to prove enzymes work, all I need is experience.
Neighbor had a Hawaiin Skunk in a bubble bucket and the roots were starting to go black/brown.
Purchased Hygrozyme
3 days after application all the roots are back to white
Coincidence, I think not, no other changes were made.
Continue on.

As I stated in an earlier post:

This test has nothing to do with the multitude of uses for enzymes, as there are already threads discussing that.
This thread is strictly to find out if the enzymes break the shit down, and how long it takes.

:wallbash:

D

dongle69

Non update...

Non update...

Here we are 18 days in and still no change other than some water evaporating out of the glasses.

...I would also like to say thanks for doing the test it is more than I am willing to do .If people dont like the test you could always don your own.

...Either way I think this is a totally worth while experiment...

... My conclusion is this: this is, by far, one of the most intelligent threads I've come across. Kudos to y'all. I'm thrilled, and (without naming names dongle, et al...) I am quite impressed with your methodology.

Thanks y'all.
I'm trying to keep it simple.

Oh, and if you are not in recirculating coco yet, you should be...

Well shit fire I am!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=108395

anyone know if this is safe to ingest?, a pond zyme colon cleanse

I would love to see a thread on that.
Maybe no pics, though!

SuperConductor

Veteran
Have to agree with ackuric. If you want this test to be taken seriously you need to at least use roots that are actually dead as well as a control.
I think a test using a full or part rootball with lots of brown dead roots then use the zym products and note the difference would be much more realistic.
Not flaming just saying.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Why do you need a control if nothing has happened in 18 days?

dongle69 - thanks for doing this.

I don't know anything about enzymes. Can bacteria do the same thing?

D

dongle69

...If you want this test to be taken seriously ...

If you ever make a contribution to the forums, people might take you seriously.
I get enough PMs to know that people appreciate this thread very much.
Now run along and start your own thread.

Tokin_Jo

Dongle69 which cheaper enzymes do you recommend, oh and k+ for this thread! I've got 2 - (24) site ebb and gro bucket systems to test on. Currently using hygrozyme and pbp but will be switching to connesuer soon from AN. using sensizyme vs cheaper enzymes

D

dongle69

Dongle69 which cheaper enzymes do you recommend, oh and k+ for this thread!

Thanks.
Multi Enzym by H&G is the most cost effective of the "brand name" enzymes, and it performs well with live plants.
I haven't used the cheapo pond enzymes enough to recommend one.
They are all failing at this particular test, but there are other reasons to use them as well.

Perhaps a more valid experiment would use three buckets left over from the end of a grow cycle. The plants are harvested. The three stalks cut off at the level of the soil or coco. The medium contains the roots left intact as they were at the end of the grow.

Three different solutions are now prepared. The first one is made with a half gallon of water and hydro store enzyme. The second is a half a gallon of water and pond enzyme. The third is just half a gallon of water.

Each flower pot gets its own treatment and they are labeled accordingly.

The roots are left to rot for a month.

After a month the medium is examined for evidence of root decomposition.