What's new

Enzyme Test

D

dongle69

This is a simple little test of some different enzyme products.
This test will consist of simply putting some root mass in enzyme mixes to see if the products actually break down dead roots.
There are other uses for enzymes but I want this test to be as simple as possible.
I will be testing House and Garden's Multi Enzym, Canna's Cannazym, Sipco's Hygrozyme, and Care Free Enzymes' Pond and Fountain Protector.
OldMan&theWeed started a thread about cheaper enzymes that got the ball rolling:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111148
I used each manufacturer's suggested application rates.
For each product, I put approximately 7 grams of root material in 8 oz of mixed solution.
I'll try to post updates every few days or so.
HZ=Hygrozyme
CZ=Cannazym
ME=Multi Enzym
PF=Pond & Fountain Protector

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
cant wait for results. You should throw some sensizym up in the mix while ur at it. Overall im thinking the hygrozyme or cannazym are gonna do the best.

D

dongle69

I don't have any Sensizym.
I was just using what I had.
Although I'm now out of Hygrozyme and Cannazym.
I get freebies on occasion, so that was that.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good stuff, I love experiments

what fully applies that the root material is dead ? just kinda looks like the root material is not fully dead ? CZ and PF look the most brown (dead material I would think by being brown)

also are any of the other companies getting ORMI certification, or is sipco the only one ?

D

dongle69

It is fresh cut root material, taken at the same time from a mother plant in a Waterfarm.
The picture was taken about 5 minutes after cutting the roots.
I wouldn't expect to see anything happen for at least a few days.
Hygrozyme is the only one OMRI certified.
Cannazym and Multi Enzym go through a stricter standard of organic certification overseas.
The Pond enzyme is not certified.
Although none of that really matters for this test.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for that info, just wanted to know as I only use "organic" products. I guess if canna's was "organic" they would have it in there bio line ..

waiting to see what becomes of these roots

D

dongle69

I was going to take some pictures for a day 3 update but not a damn thing has changed.
Hmmmmmm.
I'm thinking now that I should have done a plain water test as well...

thanks for that info, just wanted to know as I only use "organic" products. I guess if canna's was "organic" they would have it in there bio line ..

I got this email from Canna regarding Cannazym being organic and/or OMRI certified:

We will not be going for the OMRI listing on it because of the fact that it is composed of 100% natural, organic components already and we think some of this is just a waste of money and an Ad gimmick.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Good experiment.
I for one ,have always been skeptical of these products, specially for the asking price.

SD:joint:

RamCTD1027

I'm interested to see some results as well. I have used Cannazym in the past but recently switched to hygrozyme (due to availability) which is significantly more expensive. Would be nice to see the pond cleaner have equivalent results.

Ram

Capn

Hah, I just used hygrozyme in my rez and let me tell ya...it was funky. Don't think it works tbh. I've soaked hydroton in 5gal buckets loaded with hygrozyme and water for 2 weeks.

Roots were still to be seen.

Greenjag

Can someone tell me why you care- why this is important- and is it of importance to all mediums(soil, coco, hydro)? Thanks.

:smile: Have you ever tried cleaning 30 or 40 buckets worth of clay pebbles by hand? There's a lot of people desperate to find some way of getting rid of this tedious task. Myself, I soak the buckets for 3 days in a high dosage solution of CannaZym after removing the main root mass. It's not a magic fix but I haven't had a problem... yet!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any update?

I threw some dried out / dead roots in some hygrozyme per there instruction and I'm skeptical as of right now