What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Emerald Cup 2015

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
results are up and boy are they strange. 3 different phenos of Cherry Limade won 1st, 6th and 11th and none of them over 20% THC!

the top 10 are mostly all very turpy and low THC #'s in high teens and low 20's.
second place broke 30% a couple 25's...

http://theemeraldcup.com/winners/

seems strange that so few of the top 20 are clone only.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
It has nothing to do with chickweed.

Trust me, when you've seen enough lab results, and smoked enough of the samples to correlate those results to "potency", you begin to realize that 'potency testing' should really be called 'cannabinoid profiling'.... potency is a measure how high a variety makes you feel, and total THC content is but one factor in that equation along with which terpene are found in the terpene profile, and their relative amounts.

The worlds best whiskies and wines are not judged on the % ethanol content, and we will see in time that the same holds true for cannabis.

It's not about how high the numbers are, it's about how the cannabis makes you feel.... if we keep chasing numbers, we're not going to find the most pleasurable cannabis. A 28% THC cookies or OG certainly are powerhouses, but they are not the end all be all... often times a 20% sample with the right terpene complement hits my nervous system in a more enjoyable way.

2 cents,
-Chimera

shredGnar

Many of the comments don't seem too positive. Funny those are the best of the best.

Have any of you seen or sampled any of these winners? Curious as to what you all say about them...

testymctester

Veteran
Many of the comments don't seem too positive.

Babbabud and I were chatting about this at the beginning of the awards ceremony. Some of the descriptions sounded very negative. We could see somebody in a position like, "I got second place but they said my herb tasted like fermented toilet cleaner."

One of the judges consistently compared the entries to different foods. Babbabud mentioned they must have a really bad diet based on the descriptions.

HillBilly1

Veteran
yep and in big bold letters it says 2014 results. nothing wrong with me that a good pair of glasses wouldent fix, sorry
Same cut in the hooter lol. She not bad
For a skinny leafed gal lol. No it really is a
Nice cut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 22

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
It has nothing to do with chickweed
sorry, i was joking. :biggrin:
A 28% THC cookies or OG certainly are powerhouses, but they are not the end all be all... often times a 20% sample with the right terpene complement hits my nervous system in a more enjoyable way.
I think culture plays a role also. In my limited experience I've found that more NorCal smokers prefer fruity/exotic strains compared to SoCal where most folks wants super-potent kush.

the emerald cup winners were not objectively the best samples but simply the ones which best suited the preferences and palates of the judges in that region

thats why i dont really care who wins. it's subjective.

Golden Tree

Trust me, when you've seen enough lab results, and smoked enough of the samples to correlate those results to "potency", you begin to realize that 'potency testing' should really be called 'cannabinoid profiling'.... potency is a measure how high a variety makes you feel, and total THC content is but one factor in that equation along with which terpene are found in the terpene profile, and their relative amounts.

The worlds best whiskies and wines are not judged on the % ethanol content, and we will see in time that the same holds true for cannabis.

It's not about how high the numbers are, it's about how the cannabis makes you feel.... if we keep chasing numbers, we're not going to find the most pleasurable cannabis. A 28% THC cookies or OG certainly are powerhouses, but they are not the end all be all... often times a 20% sample with the right terpene complement hits my nervous system in a more enjoyable way.

2 cents,
-Chimera

Nailed it!

Golden Tree

I hear you Shcrews...:)

A lot of people only want that high THC bud.....

I'd LOVE to taste and experience those top ten Emerald Cup finishers!

Be well dudes

GT

redlaser

Veteran
Same cut in the hooter lol. She not bad
For a skinny leafed gal lol. No it really is a
Nice cut

How would you describe that cheesequake #16, is it more cheese or Querkle or balanced? I've had a few cheesequake phenos and liked the cheese leaning ones better but had a more balanced one that was really good as well.

HillBilly1

Veteran
How would you describe that cheesequake #16, is it more cheese or Querkle or balanced? I've had a few cheesequake phenos and liked the cheese leaning ones better but had a more balanced one that was really good as well.
Very very Sat Dom but would say taste
Smell are qurkle Dom for sure and has the
SQ coming trough also who seems to be
Present in most of the TGA stock I try

redlaser

Veteran
Very very Sat Dom but would say taste
Smell are qurkle Dom for sure and has the
SQ coming trough also who seems to be
Present in most of the TGA stock I try

I've grown a few different space queens and liked the flavor alright but the buzz is not what I'm looking for. I think its the romulan in it because c99 is great by itelf , never tried romulan. Unfortunately they use space queen in a lot of their crosses.

2 cents,
-Chimera
To be fair the second place flower from Josh Pope, the Lemonhead OG does have a robust terp profile and it probably correlates to the high THC count. However, I'm not shocked that a lime line carries over year to year when regional presence and respect is quantified.

I speculate that once clone strains like GG are entered into awards shows in their seed form, they might get a better look at taking hardwares.

Latest posts

Latest posts