What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Emerald Cup 2015

For who? So much respect they would charge $200,$300, or $800 for a pack of 10 seeds?

I don't respect any one farmer from northern California. The Emerald region has long been responsible for outstanding product, as a whole its difficult to fault their collective history of excellence.

As regards pricing, why would an adept breeder feel threatened by cost when any hybrid can be replicated?

testymctester

Veteran
As our industry matures, I would expect more extremes when it comes to pricing. Look at other markets and you will see that value is perceived differently by many. Look at cars, clothes, or even better - beverage alcohol. There are huge differences on price for basically the same product.

I work in the wine industry where the comparison is very close. Same varietal of wine, using the same clone, grown in the same region... one bottle is $20 and one is $100. Not very many people could even tell/explain the difference between the 2. BUT, there is definitely a market for those $100 Pinot Noirs and several wine businesses are doing very well creating nothing but $100+ bottles of wine just for those people.

Also, the $200 seed pack is becoming much more common. Swamp Boys, Loompa Farms, Top Dawg, etc. all have $200 packs. I don't buy $200 packs of beans and I don't drink $100 bottles of Pinot, but I understand there are definitely people out there that do. Different strokes for different folks. :biggrin:

Grizz

Veteran
As our industry matures, I would expect more extremes when it comes to pricing. Look at other markets and you will see that value is perceived differently by many. Look at cars, clothes, or even better - beverage alcohol. There are huge differences on price for basically the same product.

I work in the wine industry where the comparison is very close. Same varietal of wine, using the same clone, grown in the same region... one bottle is $20 and one is $100. Not very many people could even tell/explain the difference between the 2. BUT, there is definitely a market for those $100 Pinot Noirs and several wine businesses are doing very well creating nothing but $100+ bottles of wine just for those people.

Also, the $200 seed pack is becoming much more common. Swamp Boys, Loompa Farms, Top Dawg, etc. all have $200 packs. I don't buy $200 packs of beans and I don't drink $100 bottles of Pinot, but I understand there are definitely people out there that do. Different strokes for different folks. :biggrin:

very well explained . I have never smoked there kush that there selling for 800 a pack and wouldent pay that much but if its good you will make your money back easy enough,

theJointedOne

Veteran
The sad part is that most of the expensive packs aren't more than the breeder trying to create false sense of quality through high pricing...

Not saying any particular brand isn't quality or worth it, but dang for those new companies pushing untested genes the high prices seem little more than hype creation to me

Edit: truth be told I did buy a pack from aficionado couple years ago. Definitely happy I did.

well I will let everyone know in october if its worth the 800. they will be done next to lots of other breeders shit (relentless, in-house, bay area exclusives, swamp boys, dna, karma, rare dankness, bodhi and many others). Everyone can talk shit about expensive packs, whatever, someone has to do a side by side to really know the difference

30years

i wish leo had put the info on the site so people could actually understand what the 800.00 price tag is for but who the fuck expected mandle to die so suddenly. all monies for all packs sold go to mandels kids.
there were 36 packs released as mack was 36 when he died.
you can go to go fund me and drop money on mack anderson which was mandels real name. leo isn't making any money off of this deal. leo and mack were friends and worked on joint projects. i hung with mandel for years and i just dropped 1600.00 on the go fund me account too.
the entire seed world about to blow up and a really talented man gets trimmed leaving family in need. a friend uses his business to do the right thing for his friend and generate paper for the deceased family.
you can't say that is being abusive or clever in any way as nobody really even knows whats what. you don't want to support leo supporting mandel, don't. drop some chips direct and bypass the crew but you will see where the paper is going from the site records.
i can't believe I'm championing mack as he had a mouth, a brain, a full pair of balls and needed no mans help there but if any has a few bones to spare and think supporting the family of a dead ganja soldier isn't a bad idea do what you can.

Z

z-ro

I don't mean to bash but when did Relentless become a 'breeder' he's a pollen chucker at best. Swampboys sure they're connected but pollen chucking to the max and charging 200 lol. People need to wise up taking a random male and crossing it to your clone collection doesn't make you a breeder it makes you a pollen chucking closet hack. the cannabis industry is starting to disgust me.

jackel

I don't mean to bash but when did Relentless become a 'breeder' he's a pollen chucker at best. Swampboys sure they're connected but pollen chucking to the max and charging 200 lol. People need to wise up taking a random male and crossing it to your clone collection doesn't make you a breeder it makes you a pollen chucking closet hack. the cannabis industry is starting to disgust me.

i have to agree.
I came across a semi local seed company, that was selling F1's. They made it very clear, no bullshit. They sold hand made packs of "12" seeds for $100, but every pack was simply guaranteed 12. Most packs (including the one i bought) have at least 20. Mine had 23 seeds in the pack.
I was very happy with the purchase for several reasons. 1) I knew from the get go that they were F1s. they didnt try and hide it as something else. 2) even at $100 for 12 seeds, thats a fair price. 3) they give you waayyyy more than you expected.
This is how i believe most seed "breeders" should be.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Thought I was alone!
:tiphat:

jackel

not everything in life is rainbows a cupcakes. If all people posted was happy go lucky crap, then no one would learn anything. yin/yang

B

BAKED_BEANZ

ok well wow, relentless is really cool dude . nope that doesn't make him a breeder . however he's a member here and contributes a lot , i feel that should be respected . i haven't even grown his gear . so i,m no fan boy .

i can see what your saying rather than how your saying it . it is extremely hard to find breeders that do work there lines .

but on the flip side , there,s tonnes of people that are happy playing with hybrids ( pollen chucks) and some of the strongest tastiest herb has been found there . not to mention nice unique gear .

me myself absolutely love a good pollen chuck , who wants something so worked you know what your getting every time . if you want that theres clones .

all this thread has been about is people bitching about price off seeds . man just be thankful you can actually get half the stuff you can . you have a choice what you buy and how much you pay . why bag out on what someone else is doing with there money .

long live the pollen chuck . screw the haters lol

Last edited:
B

BAKED_BEANZ

i,ll agree with you shcrews, bodhi would have to be the best placed and priced gear on the market . the dude definitely stands out among other seed produces . certainly not money orientated guy. he,s one person that could certainly ask more if he wanted and get it . its shows when people are doing it for the love of what there doing not the money:)

T

turtle farmer

Thanks to all that came by the Soil King booth to say hello.
I've been in bed since the cup. Smoked or dabbed with a sick stoner germ.
It was fun in the short breaks I took over to the 215 end of the event.

dimebag_

judging

judging

wassup kids-
was just curious about how the judging criteria works for the event-if its posted somewhere and I missed it, I apologize…ha

what exactly are they judging the entries on?
who picks the judges?
are the judges growers themselves?
are the judges daily smokers?
are the judges the same at every years event?
do the judges test multiple strains back to back in a single day? how many? and how long in-between samples?
what makes the best, the best?

I read a few judges comments regarding smoking joints-is this the method they use to test the entries? joints? should be a nice medium sized bong rip IMO…mabe two to make sure and get a good taste...lol

seems like there should be specific guidelines regarding thc content, cbd, myrcene, terpenes, dryness, etc, or what it takes to win. That way its possible to know what numbers it takes to win by achieving the numbers of whatever they're looking for. It seems crazy to me that all the judges would lean towards the same strains that win.
I mean fuck, its just so damn subjective-everybody wants to get stoned and have it taste great. But everybody has different taste. Some people wanna get super stoned, not think, and get crusty.- others just wanna catch a sweet buzz and cruise. Some strains might taste the best to one dude, while another tastes the best to a different dude. Everyone has a different tolerance. What justifies one strain winning over another-whatever tasted the best or felt the best on that particular day for that person? theres a lot of variables. Seems like just a big crapshoot to me….a really fun crapshoot…ha

they should rename it the mean gene cup….lol

dbag-

jackel

wassup kids-
was just curious about how the judging criteria works for the event-if its posted somewhere and I missed it, I apologize…ha

what exactly are they judging the entries on?
who picks the judges?
are the judges growers themselves?
are the judges daily smokers?
are the judges the same at every years event?
do the judges test multiple strains back to back in a single day? how many? and how long in-between samples?
what makes the best, the best?

I read a few judges comments regarding smoking joints-is this the method they use to test the entries? joints? should be a nice medium sized bong rip IMO…mabe two to make sure and get a good taste...lol

seems like there should be specific guidelines regarding thc content, cbd, myrcene, terpenes, dryness, etc, or what it takes to win. That way its possible to know what numbers it takes to win by achieving the numbers of whatever they're looking for. It seems crazy to me that all the judges would lean towards the same strains that win.
I mean fuck, its just so damn subjective-everybody wants to get stoned and have it taste great. But everybody has different taste. Some people wanna get super stoned, not think, and get crusty.- others just wanna catch a sweet buzz and cruise. Some strains might taste the best to one dude, while another tastes the best to a different dude. Everyone has a different tolerance. What justifies one strain winning over another-whatever tasted the best or felt the best on that particular day for that person? theres a lot of variables. Seems like just a big crapshoot to me….a really fun crapshoot…ha

they should rename it the mean gene cup….lol

dbag-
http://theemeraldcup.com/faqs-and-further-contest-details/#howjudged