What's new

Easiest way to make hash! Quick Wash ISO!

dustin27

Veteran
Some QWISO i made today.

First wash

IMG_0034-800-Copy.jpg

2nd wash

IMG_0024-800-Copy.jpg

IMG_0022-800-Copy.jpg

The first run scraped off as powder, and doesnt mold into balls well. The second was pretty powdery also, compresses better as you can see.

First

IMG_0023-800-Copy.jpg

Second

IMG_0039-800-Copy.jpg

dingbat

i think you are doing something wrong. should look like this

run us through your process and maybe we cant help you out a little.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
Did you know that making hash with anything besides water (butane, alcohol) is on par with manufacturing methamphetamine in the eyes of the law?

No protections under medical use.

Recently educated to this fact. I used to have ounces of this stuff on me. Good thing I was never caught up with the stuff.

Don't sell this stuff, don't transport this stuff.

Keep it at home where you made it and enjoy it safely.

dustin27

Veteran
i think you are doing something wrong. should look like this

run us through your process and maybe we cant help you out a little.

Sometimes it looks like that. Sometimes it doesnt.
This run I used dried frozen materials; stems and trim mixed together, i try to use all of the plant.
I dont really time my washes, and generally do the 2nd wash a little longer. I have a fan blowing over a pyrex cake dish with the mixture to dry it. The first wash of this one was perhaps 20 seconds or less, if I had to guess. I powdered the top of a bowl with it, and it bubbled up nicely. I usually try to hand press it into a single piece, but gave up early this time.
I have had QWISO come out to a consistency that would only stay handle-able if kept in the freezer. After a few minutes out it would turn to oil. I believe that run I used wet frozen material. I still have not documented the process enough to eliminate which step makes the consistency correct

Did you know that making hash with anything besides water (butane, alcohol) is on par with manufacturing methamphetamine in the eyes of the law?

No protections under medical use.

Recently educated to this fact. I used to have ounces of this stuff on me. Good thing I was never caught up with the stuff.

Don't sell this stuff, don't transport this stuff.

Keep it at home where you made it and enjoy it safely.

Really? is that state or federal ? thats interesting, thanks for sharing that with us man.

dustin27

Veteran
I would suppose it is probably the quality of the material used. Its not all sugar trim, some has only a few triches, some is chopped up stems. If i recall correctly, the most potent batch was the batch that had to be kept in the freezer.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
I haven't researched this fully, but the guy who told me this runs a dispensary and says that is the reason they refuse all concentrates, even bubble.

This guy also recently got raided with 100+ plants in the detached garage and multiple firearms in the house...

and he didn't spend a second in jail. said his medical shit checked out.

i don't know what to make of it

anybody know better than me?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ok gang, heads-up, I retract my earlier statement about evaporating in an electric oven, DON'T do it!

I was drying 6 pans in 2 ovens the other night and was standing in the kitchen when the top oven exploded! There was a loud bang and the door flew open (no small feat) then slammed shut. Everything is fine, no damage or injuries, but it scared the shit out of me! I ran over and turned off the thermostats to kill the elements, but man, no bueno!

It's fine to dry out pans and cure/decarb in ovens, but not to evaporate the majority of the alcohol. This was with SLX denatured alcohol at 200*F. Not sure why it happened this time (after probably 100 pans) but if I had been in an apartment or even the city the cops would have come. It sounded like both barrels of a 12-gauge going off about 5 feet away.

Now I'm messing with a rice cooker, the solvent evaporated ok in it, I dried it in the oven, and am gonna try freezing the rice cooker pot (teflon coated) to see if it unsticks when frozen.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
how you gonna evap the solvents in a sealed oven?

too much pressure may build in rice cooker as well.

lucky you didn't get hit in the face watching the process through the oven window

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ovens aren't sealed, they vent through numerous orifices (I used to do appliance repair.) Apparently this had something to do with a perfect stoichometric vapor/O2 mix and something lit it off, hot spot on an electric element perhaps? I found a small burn spot on the edge of a pan, don't know if it was the ignition source or what, will never know for sure. The rice cookers have vents, but I left the lid loose (not latched shut) and it worked very nicely. No temp regulating though, need a thermostat in that thing.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
This was with SLX denatured alcohol at 200*F.

We have gone over this before with you at the end of the HONEY OIL DENATURED STYLE thread,
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10869
and you don't care so I don't care either, but I think this is worth mentioning again even though it is 100% off topic here. If you want to collect a Darwin Award I hope you don't take anyone with you, or influence others to do the same.

55% methanol content in SLX. OSHA PEL 200 ppm.
The MIBK content (boiling point 117C) might be concentrated in the last bit. OSHA PEL 100 ppm.
Isopropyl alcohol PEL 400 ppm. Acetone metabolite is of low toxicity.

Someone will always say -
"but...but...ethanol is an antidote for methanol"
Yet for years I read that every year several Russians, et al., die from drinking the mixture in adulterated vodka. In a hospital setting IV or oral ethanol may be given to prevent death and blindness, when the patient has symptoms and it has been some time, maybe 12-18 hours, since ingestion, since it typically takes a long time for methanol poisoning to present hangover-type or worse symptoms, due to the difficulty in metabolism. The ethanol is metabolized and the methanol not so much. The ethanol treatment continues for some time. A lot of enzyme will have to be tied up by the ethanol for a long time, for this to work.

But in the case of inhalation of the mixture, what happens after you stop breathing the ethanol? The methanol is still there, accumulated and temporarily unmetabolized, and the ethanol is quickly gone. In the absence of careful study showing that inhalation of the mixture at that magnitude of exposure is safe, I personally stay away from that brand for that reason, for other cheap solvent purposes.

If you want to use this as an excuse to be constantly drunk for a couple days afterwards, then I guess that's OK.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
are you sure there isn't some type of seal on ovens because isn't the idea to keep heat in?

im pretty sure inside a hot (or warm) oven does not qualify as "well vented area" or "open space"

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
truthorlie, ovens have numerous places that air escapes, otherwise you'd never smell food baking/burning in an oven. my kitchen has two exhaust hoods and 4 very large windows that I keep open when evaporating, in order to keep the house from filling with fumes.

The oddity is that I've evaporated over 100 gallons of alcohol in this oven without issue, but something in the oven actually ignited the alcohol vapor this last time. I cannot determine the ignition source, so I'm advocating against evaporating large quantities of solvent in the oven as a result.

GO Joe, MIBK boils at 117c (242*F) but its flash point is only 14*C. It evaporates in room temperature air according to the EPA. here si the MSDS sheet for Kleen-strip SLX, it's 45-50% Ethyl Alcohol, 45-50% Methanol, and 1-4% MIBK. http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat2/MSDS/MSDS%20-%20SLX.pdf

I typically have (and will continue to purge in the oven) run the oven at 200*F for 24 hours until the solvents are gone and stop bubbling. You can tell when there is something left when you tilt a hot pan and the mix runs quickly to one side, bubbling as it runs down the pan. Once this stops it's MUCH thicker and the smell changes. Not exactly scientific, but this precedes the decarb process at 272*F for 7 minutes to bake off any possible remaining solvents and do the THCA conversion for room temp edibles/tinctures.

Do you believe any of the three components of SLX can withstand that duration of heat without evaporation and not be noticed?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Everyone else who does not live in California, etc. does not have their windows open because for example it is currently 6F outside here. I am thinking more of the larger audience of everyone who is reading these threads. Many wouldn't have ventilation, because they are ignorant of the dangers of this household product.

GO Joe, MIBK boils at 117c (242*F) but its flash point is only 14*C. It evaporates in room temperature air according to the EPA. here si the MSDS sheet for Kleen-strip SLX, it's 45-50% Ethyl Alcohol, 45-50% Methanol, and 1-4% MIBK. http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat2/MSDS/MSDS - SLX.pdf

Let's quibble then; the MSDS from the manufacturer:
http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/KS Denatured Alcohol (1625.6) 4-14-09.pdf
Mine: Supercedes Revision: 11/13/2008
Maybe I should have said "up to" 55%.
Yours: Revision: 06/13/2005

Flash point has nothing to do with anything but flash point. Everything that is a liquid at room temperature evaporates, even mercury. The difference is, how much; the EPA does not tell you this, the boiling point is a better source. MIBK is certainly less volatile than the alcohols, but the volatility may be high enough that it does not concentrate at that low of a total amount. Or maybe it does a little. If done on a huge scale by some careless operators well then maybe there could be some problems. IPA on the other hand presents comparably little danger other than the fire/explosion hazard, and possibly a little extra oxidation via transient peroxide formation in air, and a longer evaporation time than lower boiling solvents.

As I said in the denatured thread, my concern is the possible hazards presented by the evaporation, depending on how the vapors are dealt with. There is apparently surprisingly little study done on humans on the long-term effects of sub-acute exposure to the formaldehyde and formic acid that methanol gets metabolized to.

Seeker

Hello ISO-hash lovers! I´m wondering if this process with the coffeefilters filters away any nutes from weed that isn´t flushed?
Or is there any other method that´s better for this purpose?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello ISO-hash lovers! I´m wondering if this process with the coffeefilters filters away any nutes from weed that isn´t flushed?
Or is there any other method that´s better for this purpose?

No it doesn't! Nutes are water soluble.

Instead of just evaporating off your ISO extract, try mixing it with equal parts of saturated salt water and hexane.

Agitate and place in a sepratory funnel, and the hexane will rise to the top with the cannabinoids, while the water and alcohol will drop to the bottom with the evil spirits, where they can be bled off.

After evapaporating off the hexane, I usually re-dissolve it in ethanol and cook that off a couple of times to quickly fully purge the hexane.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I would imagine you could do a water-cure process on the bud or trim first, then bake to dry/decarb, then do a regular solvent extraction. This should remove all the nutes and water-soluble minerals from the mix, and lead to purer extractions. Whaddya think GW?

TruthOrLie

Veteran
I still think ovens qualify more as "sealed" than "unsealed".

Why else would there be a roof and 3 walls with a door?

Best to work with flammable gasses in well ventilated areas.

Just because you can smell cookies cooking doesn't make an oven well ventilated.

You can argue you used to work on appliances until the cows come home.

An oven, for the most part, is "sealed" and as you learned first hand could create a dangerous situation where someone is whacked in the face by a powerful blast from the oven.

Why not just purge the material on skillet over an electric range? Way more ventilated than inside an oven.