What's new

Earth Juice - Anything you want to bring up!!!

Zendo

adding my :2cents:

Adding chemical nutes, and chemical PH adjusters to your organic nutes and teas will for sure damage your microherd.

You have really a few choices. Use EJ's natural PH up/down, use a natural home remedy PH up/down, or create a soil environment that doesn't need the ph adjusters.

While adding chemical PH adjusters to teas won't kill every microbe in your brew, it will lessen the counts and it's effectiveness. Why would you go through the process of using organic soil, organic nutes and teas, only to hinder it with chems and make your grow non-organic?

again, just my :2cents:

STRAINZ

Do you have any idea what your pH is before you use it? Mine is like 3.7-ish right when I add the the nutes to water... my water out of the tap is 6.0.

I've never checked it! I just use a filtration system that filters out 98-99% of everything & leaves the trace minerals. Then I add in the nutes according to Jmans schedule, mix everything up, and feed. This is my first run and I've never tried to brew the nutes or check the ph, so I guess I have nothing to compare to....but like I said previously, the plants with EJ are looking the healthiest thusfar!

FinestKind

Adding chemical nutes, and chemical PH adjusters to your organic nutes and teas will for sure damage your microherd.

You have really a few choices. Use EJ's natural PH up/down, use a natural home remedy PH up/down, or create a soil environment that doesn't need the ph adjusters.

While adding chemical PH adjusters to teas won't kill every microbe in your brew, it will lessen the counts and it's effectiveness. Why would you go through the process of using organic soil, organic nutes and teas, only to hinder it with chems and make your grow non-organic?

When you say "natural home remedy pH up/down", what do you have in mind? I've been trying to find out if cider vinegar (organic, of course!) is a viable option as pH down... any suggestions otherwise?

I'm just getting some of my EJ harvest dried enough for a smoke test. I must say that it burns very smooth and has a very clean taste. I am impressed with that. I had some issues with my space that caused my yield and density to go down, but what is there is stony and tastes smooth. Thanks Earth Juice IC Maggers!

Anyone here ever grow Humboldt Headband?? That is my next strain I am going to grow with EJ. This time I am going to try and push the limits of the EJ Brews!!

Zendo

When you say "natural home remedy pH up/down", what do you have in mind? I've been trying to find out if cider vinegar (organic, of course!) is a viable option as pH down... any suggestions otherwise?

I think cider vinegar would work, or Lemon juice (teaspoon a gallon I think) is recommended for lowering PH.

Baking soda and something else can be used for up, but can't remember right now..:joint:

I have the EJ stuff.

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
I have the EJ stuff.

gonna see if i can get some of this on teusday....

i use 2 myco inoculums and have some pretty impressive root masses.... perhaps adjusting is not really necessary like i keep reading.

i wanna know... so not in my current grow, but in my next possibly.... i'm not gonna adjust at all, just to see what happens.... if things go awry i can always start

do you know if chelating agent EDTA also kills the herd....?

:watchplant:

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
gonna see if i can get some of this on teusday....

i use 2 myco inoculums and have some pretty impressive root masses.... perhaps adjusting is not really necessary like i keep reading.

i wanna know... so not in my current grow, but in my next possibly.... i'm not gonna adjust at all, just to see what happens.... if things go awry i can always start

do you know if chelating agent EDTA also kills the herd....?

Why not just use humic acid? Its good for the micro herd and chelates.

Also a good organic soil should require no pH adjustment besides dolomite lime. The buffering agents in soil along with the micros do a good job when used with DL.

EJ Grow and Bloom AS pH adjusters!

EJ Grow and Bloom AS pH adjusters!

I used to use the full EJ line for a couple of years but just could'nt take the low pH problems I was having. I had just bought 2 qts of each when I'd had enough of sickly plants. I wasn't doing an organic soil mix at the time, just Promix, extra Perlite and EJ.

So anyway, I had all this EJ BS on hand and figured since it would send the pH into the basement, I'd just use it for pH down, since my tap water is 7.8-8.1 consistently. And I've been doing it that way for years now. 1/2 to 3/4 tsp in a gallon of my tap water and, presto, 6.2-6.4! I use EJ Grow in veg and Bloom when I flip. Maybe a quart, quart and a half a year. Why not get trace amounts of very good things in your pH down?

I still use a bit of Meta-K when I think it's called for. Now I use a modified Vic's Supersoil all-organic mix and have no need for anything but a little top-dressed guano in flowering and EWC+ teas, of course. My girls are happy happy with this approach. Peace

rudeboy52

Lc"s mix and Ej go great together. i can add un-brewed ej mix and my runoff comes out 6.5-7 every time. The brewing does help the plants use the nutes a little quicker but it doesn't seem necessary.

FinestKind

Lc"s mix and Ej go great together. i can add un-brewed ej mix and my runoff comes out 6.5-7 every time. The brewing does help the plants use the nutes a little quicker but it doesn't seem necessary.

Huh, 6.5 to 7? Surprising, since it seems the EJ solution has a really low pH for most people... may lend credence to the idea that the microbes raise the pH in the soil.

FK

Last edited:

generalgrievous

ICMag Donor
picked up some EJ ph up crystals and some dolomite lime today......gonna stop with the acids and whatnot .....perhaps not immediately but soon......

BerndV

I would have to disagree with the notion that standard pH adjusters will interfere with microbial activity or alter whether or not your nutrient solution is truly "organic". All pH lowering agents are some form of acid that donate hydronium ions (positively charged hydrogen atoms). Be it weaker acids like citric or acetic acid (vinegar), or a stronger acid like phosphoric acid, the process of lowering pH is exactly the same. Stronger acids simply require less to obtain the desired pH.

The reverse is true of pH raising agents, such as potassium hydroxide. Adding potassium hydroxide removes free hydronium ions and adds a bit of potassium. So called "natural" pH raising agents , such as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), do exactly the same thing.

There is no mechanism by which either of these processes will kill microbes.

generalgrievous

ICMag Donor
EJ ph up crystals rule....

EJ ph up crystals rule....

if thats the case thats good to know cuz i have massive bottles of the stuff....i'll never touch it again now that i got the EJ crystals though.....:dunno:

the EJ ph up crystals absolutely rule the world....it only takes a speck to pull out of the 3.5 abyss, less than a 1/16 tsp...
my first attempt was a 1/4 tsp. and that took me way to high...
last night the speck put me at 6.3... higher than i was after but i'll take it...

the best thing is this only added 20 ppm to my nute mix...

to pull out of that ph 3.5-3.7 with the drops took over a tsp... well over and would add 300ppm to my nute mix....

i like this better....:watchplant:

I am making some earth juice tea for my houseplants today!! I hope they appreciate the extra love they're getting!! I am hoping they blow up with some new growth. I think in the future I am going to make my houseplants and patio plants some form of ACT on a regular basis.

Anyone else give their normal plants extra love from what you learned about cannabis?

generalgrievous

ICMag Donor
I am making some earth juice tea for my houseplants today!! I hope they appreciate the extra love they're getting!! I am hoping they blow up with some new growth. I think in the future I am going to make my houseplants and patio plants some form of ACT on a regular basis.

Anyone else give their normal plants extra love from what you learned about cannabis?

i was given charge of the family vegy garden as a young teen... not by choice.

i started smoking several years later at 17.... i also pulled my first cannabis harvest at 17.....thnx dad.

not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg, but i grow a massive heirloom vegy garden every year... every one gets treated the same.....

i recently made the switch to coco... and now my drain to waste 'waste' has grown me 3' tall fava bean stalks in beer cups....

they get transplanted tomorrow but i'm gonna snap some pics and start a vegy thread....

your house plants are gonna love you...

Cool Moe

Veteran
I made some compost tea and top-dressed with some worm castings and a few tbspns of Rainbow Mix grow on a hibiscus plant that looked a little hungry, could tell by the next day how it made her feel...I've counted at least two dozen new blooms since then and a ton of new leaf growth

TheBudFather

I use Biobizz.... but i would like to try something diff..... EJ was top of the list.... but i dont like the sound of the PH issues...
Will EJ be a better choice over Biobizz?...

Latest posts

Latest posts