What's new

Eagle 20 PM Killer, Cancerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeaMaiden

It is my opinion that grossly overmixing/overusing a product like E20 is far better than underusing it, at least in terms of creating resistance.

And while it may be well-known in the ag/horticultural community that products like E20 cause resistance, it is very much UNKNOWN in the cannabis community.

I speak to this because I had one occasion to try it, before I did my due diligence, on plants that had been infected with root aphids and the PM suffered during and after that was impossible to eradicate.

Before I say more, I would like to qualify my own experience with quarantine, observation and treatment protocols for organisms housed in artificial environments (public aquaria and wholesale aquatic & exotic ornamental import/export), which hopefully alludes to my ability to use a given product and procedure properly. I began keeping aquaria of my own back in 1986, by 1989 I had my first miniature reef tank and needed a job to pay for my habit, which led to employment at an old, well established (and well connected in the trade) aquarium shop in SoCal. That led to employment in the import/export field, and that widened from aquatic ornamentals to include exotics. My experience is much more solidly founded in aquatics, though. I have written a great deal on husbandry techniques, including disease control and treatment, and a good deal of what I've written is still referred to.

I treated this group of cuts which weren't responding to any other methods with E20, and stuck them outside. Putting plants outside is my typical first course of action, it allows a type of QT (physical separation) as well as allows me to observe the plants and disease or pest behavior under natural conditions. I was able to achieve elimination of PM on all but one plant, a cut of The White.

So since reporting this I've had a lot of people come at me and tell me that I must have missed something, didn't apply properly, what have you. And while I would love to give those notions quarter, I must state emphatically that my training and experience with other living organisms disallows such casual mistakes. I feel that somehow I managed to observe a variety, species or subspecies of PM that was able to resist treatment in this one plant.

I have also experienced PM in very dry conditions, with excellent air flow. This discounts the common arguments that high humidity is to blame, or lack of air flow is to blame. I feel, and I think the science bears this out, that it's a variety of factors that come into play, especially issues such as species. I mean, who would argue that The White is a "PM magnet"?
First...the number one preventative is high brix levels in your plant and a sap pH of around 6.4. If you achieve a brix of say 12 and the right sap pH you do not have to worry about PM period. Fungal and/or bug attacks are natures way of removing the garbage...taking out the weak plants so natural selection can work properly.

But that is another discussion. So lets say you are in a high PM area and want to use a preventative. Obviously Eagle 20 works. Also, obviously at least to me, it has plenty of potential downside. If you don't agree do you mention to your patients that you used it?

Something that works just as well and has less downside is foliar silica. I use a powder called AgSil 16. 8 grams per gallon plus a sticker/spreader/surfactant (soap will work) sprayed every month or so will prevent PM as well as Eagle 20.

A friend of mine sprayed a tomato plant in an area thick with PM last summer...only plant in the neighborhood that did not have PM by the end of summer.

So if you are debating the safety of Eagle 20 and would like an alternative there you go.

I admit to using Eagle 20 in veg back in the day before I learned how to raise brix and control sap pH...so obviously I am in no position to knock anyone using it that way...and I don't. Just saying there are alternatives that appear to be totally safe and that you would not mind telling your patients about.
GREAT post and information, and I want to be in on that discussion on how you achieve high Brix (sap sugars, yes?) levels. Are you able to do it organically?
I had bad PM two crops ago... tried oxidate, exel, sulfur burners, etc. nothing really helped other than for the immediate. The stuff kept coming back. So I finally got eagle 20, even though I'm in Calif, and sprayed my mothers and clones. Just brought in a room and found one leaf with PM on it. I'd say I'm pretty darn happy with Eagle! Now I have a regime with it and expect to keep PM at bay. Also, I do bleach everything and what not, so it isn't like I'm not doing other things. I'm also growing out of a basement which I'd imagine doesn't help.

Because everyone has me freaked out with using eagle 20, I wear a respirator, eye protection, chem resistant gloves that go to my elbows, etc. :/
Part of the problem is this paradigm on cannabis forums that bleach is the end-all, be-all sterilizer. It is NOT. If you want true sterilization, go for isopropyl alcohol, a quaternary ammonium product (such as Physan 20), or something similar. Think along the lines of how a medical office or hairdresser would sterilize their tools.

In the aquatic ornamental field we use a quaternary ammonium product to sterilize all tools that go from tank to tank. If we didn't, we'd be wiping out thousands of animals with one simple ignorant dip. There are many shops that achieve exactly this, and it's preventable.

So, don't use bleach to sterilize, use something that's known and proven to work on surfaces.
http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2009/09/the-refractometer-an-indispensable-monitoring-tool/

This is a video that explains what brix is, how to measure it...how to increase it, etc. Worth watching.

If you go to the articles on that site and look through them you will find all sorts of good info. All of their mineral stuff is based on the work of Albrecht and Reams. Very different ratios than you see in hydro store nutes but some pretty good stuff. I think there is at least one good article on using biological controls as opposed to chemical that is worth reading also.
Thank you for this.
I have a Mob Boss in ProMix amended with Calcium Peroxide that is 7 weeks into flower with a brix of 14 still. Healthiest plant I ever grew. I will be taking a soil sample to the local university extension for a base saturation test at the end of the grow...I wanna know my Ca:Mg Base ratio.

But...the foliar silica works like a champ...it may be at least worth a test for the Eagle users

edit...ebay is the best place I know of to get a refractometer..http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...inity+refractometer&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Again, many thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to bring up a point based on some news articles I read recently about the laboratories themselves. I am not aiming to shoot down Steep Hill, but it appears that we have a problem when there are no standards for testing, no P&P that is standardized, nor any type of licensing or permitting process that allows the end user to know that the lab in question is actually performing good work.

In other words, just because a lab tested it, doesn't mean it is what they say it is. I personally would like to see better guidelines (as in some sort of guidelines) and standards that would allow any and all laboratories that test cannabis to create reports that are truly useful.

If there are standards in P&P, etcetera, I personally would like to learn more.

Here is one of the articles to which I refer: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/15/BANG1N7DLQ.DTL

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
there are a thousand ways around it but in my instance when i had an outbreak (indoor) this is what i did

i removed infected plants in flower

cleaned areas with dutch master zone soap and high ph water

i sterilized the air intake area to my garden via ozone

quarantined all the vegetative plants in enclosed environments (done and clear bags) sealed the root zones and treated with in an enclosed atmosphere with dutch master zone and high ph of 10(toxic environment for molds)

I did the same in flower chamber i sealed it and covered the plants root zones and on uninfected plants used green cure (high ph) and later hydroguard (7 ph) (suspended beneficials including bacillus subtilis)

same beneficial were also added to the root zone

i added ewc to the soil and benefitials in my feed after that and used silica as a preventative when i transitioned plants into flower

silica use was short as transitioned to living soil it was unnecessary and i no longer clean the air intake with ozone

fwiw i was born with well over 100 allergies and am highly bothered by molds and mildews and require my meds to be pretty much hypo allergenic

i now amend with 5 amendments and occasionally top dress or drop a tea on them

Last edited:

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
...And while it may be well-known in the ag/horticultural community that products like E20 cause resistance, it is very much UNKNOWN in the cannabis community....

I agree with you 100%...I use the term "stoner logic" to describe the "knowledge" (or the lack thereof) that exists in the cannabis world. Unfortunately, many times when "uncomfortable information" is shared by some--others let their egos take control, and shoot the messenger before listening to the message. BTW, all my ag/horticulture knowledge is rather recent, as I only started growing MMJ about 5 years ago, prior to that, I had a "real job" with a real desk, real problems, real employees, and real problems (oops already said that).

A much larger "resistance" issue involves pesticides, as evidenced by the advice and posts I see on "stoner forums"...many times bordering on malpractice. The notion that jacking up dosage and frequency of a particular poison is nuts! Whats the definition of insanity?...doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome? Can not count the times I have read something like this: "I increased it to 30ml per gallon, cuz 15ml did nothing"...or "this shit does not work...I sprayed it everyday for a week (instructions say use it every 5 days) at twice the dosage, and next day the ______ were everywhere." Hmmmm, how do you spell "resistance"?

Good primer on "pesticide resistance" is written by Ray Cloyd, one of the entomologists I spoke to regarding Root Aphids...this guy knows his stuff: http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/entml2/mf2905.pdf

And for us anal folks that usually explain how to build a clock...when asked for the time--you will find the gold nuggets lie in the material published by these official "Mode of Action" organizations:

Fungicides: http://www.frac.info/frac/index.htm

Insecticides: http://www.irac-online.org/

Rotating products with different "Modes of Action" is the secret, when you must use em...of course the best is to never to use em in the first place!

Cheers!

S

SeaMaiden

Ok, that first pdf, that shit should be made into its own thread and stickied. Seriously.

You're correct about trying to shift the stoner paradigm, too. So, I have a question, to mix things up a bit--what's worse, ingesting PM or ingesting something like E20?

I ask because I've been searching for papers or documentation that demonstrates health hazards for humans if PM is ingested, whether the fruiting bodies and/or spores, or simply what remains in plant tissues. And I have been searching for that because I am now challenging the idea that smoking or otherwise ingesting bud that has obvious PM fruits is somehow inherently more dangerous than smoking or otherwise ingesting bud that has a latent infection. I want to know if there are any reactions, allergic, autoimmune (I said that already!), or other disorders or disease caused or worsened by PM. So far I have yet to find anything that discusses issues of mildew or mold causing problems in humans that aren't other molds or mildews that are already known to cause problems.

Also, I've been laboring under the impression that PM requires living plant tissue, it seems I've received some confirmation of that by your post quoting UCD's IPM management page.

Who needs a stinkin' real job, anyway? Badges! We don' need no stinkeen' badges!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
... So, I have a question, to mix things up a bit--what's worse, ingesting PM or ingesting something like E20?...

My rationale...Eagle at the rate of 1 ml/gallon (equiv to 2 drops in a 1500 ml spray bottle) is responsible. Especially since I spray it on leaves that will never be smoked or harvested (my veg fan leaves are all gone by the time I harvest--and we smoke buds here). Depending on plant foliage, I can spray between 10-30 plants with one bottle....so that's 1/10 to 1/30 of a drop per plant, and there is barely 20% of the active ingredient Myclobutanil in Eagle--so we need to discount the 1/10 to 1/30 of a drop by 80% to equate to Eagle 20. Then take it 65 days with the tiny half life....hmmmm, my vote there should be no detectable residual on my buds.

Is PM dangerous? Well let me take a page from Weird's logic, if the labs test for it--then it must be bad. But since I can taste the PM spores when smoking/ripping/vaping, I prefer not.

AND...as a MMJ cultivator, I feel I have an extra duty to provide the safest and cleanest product possible.

S

SeaMaiden

I'm just looking for some papers that would make what appears to be a dogmatic belief true. I want to support my own beliefs, but support them well, ya dig? That's why I'm looking for anything cited/citable.

I feel my responsibility lies as a steward within my own sphere of influence. I influence everything within immediate physical proximity by my actions or inactions, in total, not just as a cultivator of medical cannabis.

I also have a strong, lifelong tendency to question EVERYTHING, including and especially my own beliefs. I was pondering the question of latent PM infection vs fruiting bodies, and realized that I have no evidence to support the notion that a plant that's not presenting with PM obviously (fruiting bodies & spores) is not necessarily a plant that's not infected with it, i.e. latent infection. And so I thought to myself, "What's the difference, biologically speaking, health-wise, between smoking a plant with a latent infection vs a plant with fruiting bodies? Is there a difference between the fungi within tissues and the fungi reproducing, specifically in terms of human health and hazards?"

So far I can't find anything that may speak to health hazards of ingestion, let alone a difference in the forms of the particular fungi in question.

But I can find stuff that speaks to possible health hazards using E20. I'm sure you can see where that leads me, and how.

Those labs also test for THC and other cannabinoids. That line of reasoning (I can't call it logic) doesn't quite carry for me.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
ironic no one has considered that when you apply fungicide to your plants that the myco in your soil is affected

over mineralization kills soil bio diversity

pesticides kill soil bio diversity

fungicides kill soil bio diversity

healthy living soil regulates ph and maintains high brix (there are even beneficial packages that are targeted just for that purpose)

killing the bio diversity eliminates that

marijuana has one of the safest natural ld50 ratings out of our known medicines, it is counter productive to risk changing that dynamic

add to that the plethora of safe methods that don't degrade the environment you grow in there is are simply no excuses to use toxins with your plants

if you grow hydroponically chemically and in a sterile environment you are in control of the variables such as exposure i've grow very successfully with most mediums and most methods

same shit i said in the beginning and sadly enough information that is readily available to anyone who bothers spending a few moments to find out

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Although, not the same but related....Botrytis cinerea is a necrotrophic fungus that affects many plant species, although its most notable hosts may be wine grapes. In viticulture, it is commonly known as botrytis bunch rot; in horticulture, it is usually called grey mould or gray mold.

Guess what, botrytised wines are renowned and highly sought after by those that like the sweeter styled wine.

From wiki...
Noble rot (French: pourriture noble; German: Edelfäule; Italian: Muffa nobile) is the benevolent form of a grey fungus, Botrytis cinerea, affecting wine grapes. Infestation by Botrytis requires moist conditions, and if the weather stays wet, the malevolent form, "grey rot", can destroy crops of grapes. Grapes typically become infected with Botrytis when they are ripe. If they are then exposed to drier conditions and become partially raisined this form of infection brought about by the partial drying process is known as noble rot. Grapes when picked at a certain point during infestation can produce particularly fine and concentrated sweet wine.

Ever drank a sweet riesling wine?--"The legend of sweet Riesling is generally accredited to Schloss Johannisberg in the Rheingau who 'accidentally' created their first 'Spatlese' or late harvest in 1775. The legend goes that the messenger bringing the official order to start picking was robbed on the way. By the time he arrived the grapes had rotted, been infected with Botrytis and were given to the peasants. The peasants brewed their own wonderful wines and the rest is history. It's the Riesling grapes ability to develop high sugar levels while maintaining acidity that produces white wines that age very well. Riesling is produced from dry to very sweet. The sweet, botrytis affected wines are rated in ascending order of sweetness as: Auslese, Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese."

http://www.uncork.biz/tidbits11.htm

In this instance...the enemy mold was tamed and became a friend--I say we offer a million bucks for the hero that can do this for PM and cannabis!

MIway

Veteran
I'm just looking for some papers that would make what appears to be a dogmatic belief true. I want to support my own beliefs, but support them well, ya dig? That's why I'm looking for anything cited/citable.

I feel my responsibility lies as a steward within my own sphere of influence. I influence everything within immediate physical proximity by my actions or inactions, in total, not just as a cultivator of medical cannabis.

I also have a strong, lifelong tendency to question EVERYTHING, including and especially my own beliefs. I was pondering the question of latent PM infection vs fruiting bodies, and realized that I have no evidence to support the notion that a plant that's not presenting with PM obviously (fruiting bodies & spores) is not necessarily a plant that's not infected with it, i.e. latent infection. And so I thought to myself, "What's the difference, biologically speaking, health-wise, between smoking a plant with a latent infection vs a plant with fruiting bodies? Is there a difference between the fungi within tissues and the fungi reproducing, specifically in terms of human health and hazards?"

So far I can't find anything that may speak to health hazards of ingestion, let alone a difference in the forms of the particular fungi in question.

But I can find stuff that speaks to possible health hazards using E20. I'm sure you can see where that leads me, and how.

Those labs also test for THC and other cannabinoids. That line of reasoning (I can't call it logic) doesn't quite carry for me.

i thought there were reported incidence of farmer's lung in the cali vinyards... can't seem to find em...? but that was the thought i had always held regarding the inhalation of pm spores...?

here's a general link to jump from though...

http://www.biology.ed.ac.uk/archive/jdeacon/microbes/airborne.htm

avant gardener

Veteran
Although, not the same but related....Botrytis cinerea is a necrotrophic fungus that affects many plant species, although its most notable hosts may be wine grapes. In viticulture, it is commonly known as botrytis bunch rot; in horticulture, it is usually called grey mould or gray mold.

Guess what, botrytised wines are renowned and highly sought after by those that like the sweeter styled wine.

i'm pretty sure botrytis is a cannabis pathogen as well. think i'll try making bubble out of some moldy bud. could be it tastes like truffles.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Talked to a client who has lots of alphabet soup behind his name, and his feeling is PM fungus is not toxic; rationale is the fungus is everywhere and lands on all plants--but not all plants are susceptible or show signs of the fungus. Guess we are going back to the notion that certain strains are PM sponges--while others are not...but given the right conditions, environment and plant health--all strains probably can exhibit PM.

Now as to smoking PM (I used hookah tobacco as the example), he said no--as the heat would vaporize the PM spores and what not before they would enter the body. I asked what about unburnt spores, he said, "they are everywhere" and are not toxic.

Interesting that it is not toxic, but like SeaMaiden, I could not find a single test where PM specimens were "combusted and/or inhaled", hmmmm.....

Cheers!

S

SeaMaiden

Eclipse, thanks for asking around. I'll still search, I like shaking up my own dogma.

tr1ck_

Now as to smoking PM (I used hookah tobacco as the example), he said no--as the heat would vaporize the PM spores and what not before they would enter the body.

I am a bit confused by this. Wouldn't the vaporized spores still be inhaled? For example if you put a nug into a volcano, and you vaporize the THC, it doesn't just disappear, it enters the body as vapor.

Also I think he made a good point about plants taking on PM depending on their specific health and situation. I think a lot of it can be attributed to brix as mentioned in a previous post. This video (Thanks for posting YosemiteSam) is really worth watching: http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2009/09/the-refractometer-an-indispensable-monitoring-tool/

Y

YosemiteSam

http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2010/08/the-top-ten-biological-farming-strategies/#more-1249

another interesting article.

if you go to the last thing...something about monitoring...it talks about plant sap pH and how to move it one direction or the other.

and again, the problem with hydroponics is nitrate nitrogen and the lack of calcium you can bring into play.

it really does show that a well mineralized living soil is the only way to produce truly healthy plants.

it is getting harder for me to keep pumping up my weed with chem ferts and maintain a clear conscious...i am basically down to the we burn it and inhale instead of eat it argument to sleep at night

avant gardener

Veteran
dude. ^^^

can we please go back to opinion based diatribes about the merits of organics vs synthetics and indoor vs outdoor? keep posting crap like that and someone's liable to actually learn something. and we all know that the only reasons the internet exists are for arguing and looking at porn.

education... pshaw!

S

SeaMaiden

Yosemite, I watched that first Brix/refractometer video you posted three times. I'm still not sure I've got it, but the video and you are completely jiving with what Neal Kinsey's saying in his articles.

Say it like Huell, "That's amay-zing!"

M

moodster

i know a bloke who was in intensive care after smoking powdery mildew i would rather go without LOL

avant gardener

Veteran
http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2009/09/the-refractometer-an-indispensable-monitoring-tool/

This is a video that explains what brix is, how to measure it...how to increase it, etc. Worth watching.

If you go to the articles on that site and look through them you will find all sorts of good info. All of their mineral stuff is based on the work of Albrecht and Reams. Very different ratios than you see in hydro store nutes but some pretty good stuff. I think there is at least one good article on using biological controls as opposed to chemical that is worth reading also.

I have a Mob Boss in ProMix amended with Calcium Peroxide that is 7 weeks into flower with a brix of 14 still. Healthiest plant I ever grew. I will be taking a soil sample to the local university extension for a base saturation test at the end of the grow...I wanna know my Ca:Mg Base ratio.

But...the foliar silica works like a champ...it may be at least worth a test for the Eagle users

edit...ebay is the best place I know of to get a refractometer..http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...inity+refractometer&_sacat=See-All-Categories

just got my nifty $20 refractometer.
11 brix in veg, pure hydro, no organics.
no clue if that's even good.

Status
Not open for further replies.