What's new

***DrBud Takes CFL SOG to the Next Level***

hey DR. Bud

can you elaborate a bit on the "one-stem-two-colas" thing a bit? I've read the entire thread(*gasp*), but I don't remember reading anything about that, but maybe I missed it. Should that be the case, then please, throw me a link or a page reference.

Up until recently I've grown with hps, but had to scale down. I was almost getting used to the idea of not smoking anymore homegrown for a while, until I stumbled upon the micro-section. And I must admit, that a lot of folks are doing fine, so I thought to meself: some homegrown, however little compared to the hps-grow, is way better than nothing - though my biggest gripe is with the yield. Right now I more or less finished a cabinet with around 230 watt cfls, clones vegged for a week, and today they are going to be flipped to 12/12.
So therefore I'm really interested in any technique, that can maximize yield, like the above picture you posted... ;)

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Awesome 2 headed beast u got there doc, excellent thread and info for all 2 read and learn, amazing what good soil mix an a few simple bulbs an some TLC will produce. :rasta: :rasta:

Peace an Respect,
b00m

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Mushuthewhale - I would try the LST method, tie you clones down and the branches will get confused and think they are tops so instead of one cola you get 3 - 4 ect heres a example...

I took this clone for my first grow a few months back and did LST to it, I flowered them that short and waited till they grew a few inches before I started bending and tying down..

Here she 3 weeks later and I trained it to grow in a circle around the edge of the container

This is the same plant a week before harvest notice the curved stem and 3 main colas?? I ended up with a 1/2oz dry from this cut

This is her sister which I started to LST but then decided I wanted to see what the diff would be so I let it go without LST and I got 7.4g dry from this one and they were the same size cuts flowered at the same height so I would say check out the LST tutorials on here and you will increase your yield or you could look into SCROG

Thundurkel:
Thanks for the LST-mini-guide(well explained and easily understandable) though I am quite familiar with that. Ohh, and I think I get i now, the plant is just topped or FIM'ed. For a second it looked more like som sort of strange bonzai-work. I suppose, that the picture and the following segment of text from drbud's post confused me a bit:

"Note that it is not a two stemed plant it only splits to make 2 top colas...two stems takes up to much room....we only want one stem w/ 2 top colas "

The text indicates that it is one plant(the singular form), but with two tops, but not two stems. I assume, from the following use of terms like stems, tops etc. that if one topped or LST in early veg., the plant would form more "stems", whereas if topped in early flower, the plant makes two tops - correct?
But I assume, like blackfoor, that one could tie the tops together, to avoid the plant using too much space - is this the case here?

topping is a great way to increase or even double yields in a SOG, here are 2 plants i did, 1 topped(on left), 1 untopped(on right), left doubled yield of right... can you tell?

Sir Stickybuds:

Thanks for the reply. It does look absolutely stunning, no doubt about that. But the second cola on the topped plant, does take up a lot of space; which seems contrary to the ceoncept of SOG.
But none the less, today I just topped a POG and an afghani(they just got flipped to 12/12), to see if I can achieve this narrow kind of forking, in my micro-setup.

mushuthewhale said:
Sir Stickybuds:

Thanks for the reply. It does look absolutely stunning, no doubt about that. But the second cola on the topped plant, does take up a lot of space; which seems contrary to the ceoncept of SOG.
But none the less, today I just topped a POG and an afghani(they just got flipped to 12/12), to see if I can achieve this narrow kind of forking, in my micro-setup.

well in that pic yes it does look like it takes up a lot of space, that is cause i pulled it out of the cabinet and a 3/4 ounce(dry) cola was a lil heavy on the stem and so it leaned for the pic, i had a total of 7 plants in 2 sq. feet. 5 were topped. when u have 12 colas in a 2 sq. ft. space they all seem to hold each other up and take up just enough space.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
knna said:
It would be nice if you were posting your weekly harvests. So we could see what you harvest on a two months basis on average, and not by multiplying the best plant of a single harvest. Im not interested on such maths, but on seeing what are your actual harvest each week.

Ive been following this thread since the start, 4 months ago, and we havent any clue of what you harvested during this time. Very nice pics of 6 (i believe) plants harvested on 6-16 and nothing else.

I would accept that on other journal, but as you are claiming you get 2.7g/watt im really interested to see it. I avoided any hater comment during this time, expecting you show your weekly harvests so we can check it.

But its 4 months since the journal started and you havent showed but a single weekly harvest and without any weight info (anyway, im not specially interested on weight, but in seeing those weekly harvested plants).

Maybe im a bit paranoic (you know, im a stoner) but im starting to suspect you dont want to show your weekly harvests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovz
Hi DrBudGreengenes i stopped in to say thank you for teaching me your ways. I really appreciate you documenting your success and putting it out there for people to see. I will admit i wasn't sold at first, i thought theres no way he's yeilding that much with just cfls and soil. I figured anyone can say there getting 2.7 grams per watt when infact they're not, but after lurking and reading through all of your threads multiple times i've realized your know what you're talking about and you've made it pretty easy for others to mimic your style of growing. For this i am thankful.

Quote: DrBudGreengenes....
Thank You.....and remember for the 2.7 grams per watt you would need for all 27 plants ....to finish 21 grams dried...that would be in a Perfect situation.
Which I have not achieved as of yet but I am working on it

I will remind you once again the 2.7GPW...is in a Perfect situation....which has yet to be achieved....but is currently in "Refinement Stage"....I have been running 16 different strains and Compiling information on each of them and their "Sweet Spot" for use in the SOG.

As for Pics well I have been busy Testing for several Seed companies during the time frame you speak of below are some pics........"Geisha" by H3ad Seeds....

LifeLess

Veteran
I also use cfls and have a hard time believeing that the buds in the 1st 4 pics are grown in pop bottles under cfls only. Look at the size of that bud in the 4th pic. No way. Even my best bud dosent come close. I say BS. Plants in all the other pics are cfl plants. We wanna see a pic with a uncut plant in a pop bottle with a bud that big. Twice the size of a forearm. These are about my best and there not even close. LOL pretty amazing buds.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I agree with Knna.

I think maybe a weekly peak inside your chambers would convince me of your method. But I really don't think you're achieving the buds you are showing in the dense-SOG that you supposedly use. For example, how are those side buds making it to the canopy, when your method involves stacking plants as close together as possible?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Lifeless - Why not do some reading before acting like an ass? They weren't grown in 20oz bottles and he didn't try to make it sound like they were. There are tons of pics that show the (1 gallon?) pot that they're in.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=83041

MarquisBlack - Maybe you should take a look at that thread too you can easily see the Geisha's weren't grown in the High Density Sog method.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Here's the Geisha that's going to be used for the SOG method. Not hard to tell why...
DrBudGreengenes said:
Well it looks like Geisha#3 will be added to the "Rotation" in my perpetual SOG garden.
She has done well in the 16 plant per sq ft SOG
She was flowered a 2"s and finished 2day at 12"s

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Lifeless how is it hard to believe I have this Urkel in just a 20oz bottle cut to 160z and it's as big as your cola's ....

LifeLess

Veteran
LOL that looks nice . Keep up the good work. These were grown in 32 oz cups not saying its the size of the containers. Cfls only penatrate so far. Try some exhaust and maybe yer plants wont look so wornout. Yer buds allways look so leafy and airy they might dence up with some exhaust. Temps gotta be crazy with no exhaust.

Last edited:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
LifeLess said:
I also use cfls and have a hard time believeing that the buds in the 1st 4 pics are grown in pop bottles under cfls only. Look at the size of that bud in the 4th pic. No way. Even my best bud dosent come close. I say BS. Plants in all the other pics are cfl plants. We wanna see a pic with a uncut plant in a pop bottle with a bud that big. Twice the size of a forearm. These are about my best and there not even close. LOL pretty amazing buds.

Well here ya are
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1667782&postcount=55

they were grown in 16 oz bottles....until the last 41 dayz of flowering...and they were placed in 1gallon pots ...BCUZ the were falling over from the WEIGHT of the budz.....piss and moan all ya want I do It works.
and there is a lil' more work involved than just stickin 6 plants in a Rubbermaid and watering them once a week....EXPERIMENT.....quit w/I can't Google it so it must not be real Mentality

LifeLess

Veteran
those look about right for the days there at. I dont see anything that blows my mind like your end product. I guess i should check into that strain you did and see what happens.

Latest posts

Latest posts