What's new

DIY Nutrients formulations, recipes, chemistry etc.

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey Mr. Mist there are so many studies that show vitamins esp B-vitamins dont have any effect.

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/vitamin-b1.pdf

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4DMG/Garden/beware.htm

https://www.*********.com/community/threads/the-myth-of-vitamin-b-1.50516/

economy is nutrients companys wanting to sell some thing expensive, the theory of gravity is some thing you can measure and feel

GOD RYGER TIL ALLE DANSKER DER LÆSER MED; BIG UP - GROW MORE - GROW HARD

@Heinrich you dont mix calcium nitrate with any sulfate if you want to stock it, bc you will get percipitation of gypsum..

Heinrich

Hey guys, what you think about mixing nitric acid, orthophosphoric acid, potassium hydroxide, calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate for DIY fertilizer? I ended with a very good dissolved end product but the PH was very low because of the high EC.
I've ended with PH 2-3 :(

Mr.Mist

I currently don't have time to continue the debate of B vitamins but I will return to this subject later today or one of the next few days..

Things falling to the ground is not gravity, but a product of gravity.
Gravity is the theory that matter attracts matter..
It is thought to be the reason that stars, planets and molecules exists...
It has never been proven, even though newton said he did...

maxturgor

If there is real interest I would love to begin posting formulations based on actual mineral analysis so that people could:

A. Use the same "nutes" they are using now for literally 1000% less money

B. Expose the fact the these nutrient companies are making about as "fair" profits as Exxon Mobil... and the worst part is virtually ALL of these companies do close to ZERO of their own R&D and are just allowing others to manufacture their products and making the population over pay.

C. Expose the high levels of chemicals (i.e. Chlorides) contained in products people are using up until harvest... these companies know what their products are used for and most don't seem to care enough to be honest about their inputs. I don't see how they are any better than a Monsanto

Ok would love to see some data :biggrin:

Mr.Mist

C. Expose the high levels of chemicals (i.e. Chlorides) contained in products people are using up until harvest... these companies know what their products are used for and most don't seem to care enough to be honest about their inputs. I don't see how they are any better than a Monsanto

What's wrong with chlorides?
I'm asking out of interest, NOT doubt.. :)

Also I consider any company to be morally superior to monsanto, as long as they're not patenting nature..

For me the main problem with GMOs and Round up is not, the fact that it gives people cancer and destroys nature.
It's the fact that they're patenting crops.
And the fact that they go to farmers, who refuse to buy their patented shit, and sow their own patented seeds on the farmer's land and then sue them for growing the crop illegaly...

Making unfair profit and underpaying workers, is way more defendable, but still despicable..

Mr.Mist

The last link doesn't work and the first two links is about vitamin B1 and not any other vitamins.
None of the two first links state that vitamin B1 is without effect.
Quoting the first link:
"Plants in the field manufacture their own source of thiamine and it is therefore unnecessary to add any additional levels."

We're growing cannabis. It's not "necessary" to do anything..
Just put some seeds in the soil and they'll grow and spread like the weed it is, without ANY help what so ever. Necessity is a ridiculous subject to bring up in cannabis cultivation IMO...

"Many fungi and bacteria associated with plant roots also produce thiamine, so it’s likely that healthy soils will contain adequate levels of this vitamin without amendment."

"Likely" as in not necessarily..
"healthy soils" note that this doesn't include poor/depleted/impoverished soil, soilless media or hydro...
"Adequate levels" meaning supplementation is not needed because there is enough, not because it is useless to the plants..
The phrase rather implies a need for vitamin B1, than the opposite.
"Further research throughout the last half of the 20th century investigating the application of auxins to root systems suggested that auxins may stimulate root growth, but that vitamin B-1 on its own does not."

This means that B1 alone doesn't stimulate root growth.. It doesn't mean B1 isn't beneficial to the plant..

B vitamins(including B1) improve the health of the plants and improves the plant's ability to fight off pathogens..

Plants produce these vitamins and are able to take them up through the vascular system. If they take them up they don't need to use as much energy to produce them on it's own..
It is the same reason we supplement with carbs..
It's not necessary.. The plants produce it them selves.. It's already in the ground..

And B vitamins help fungi thrive!

Quoting the second link:
"Several studies using intact mums, apple trees, orange trees, pine, tomato, beans, pepper, corn, pear, watermelon and squash have failed to demonstrate that vitamin B1 treatments provide any type of growth response."
Again this is about vitamin B1 as a root stimulant..
Not about whether or not vitamin B1 supplementation has an effect..

It seems like you were reading up on root stimulants and stumpled upon B1, found out it doesn't stimulate root growth and assumed there was no other uses for it..

B-vitamins dont have any effect.
That's a wild claim to make and I have never heard of or read of scientific studies proving or even suggesting this..

The first link was a really good read though! Thank you for sharing it! :thank you:
If you know of any other good articles about vitamins in plant cultivation please link them!
GOD RYGER!! :smoke:

AWDTERROR

Does anyone know how to make a diy stock solution of AN Carboload.
The ingredients listed on one site are:
•Arabinose
•Dextrose
•Glucose
•Maltose
•Xylose
and another site claims
Contains Non-Plant Food Ingredients:
15% ………. Deoxyribose
15% ………. Lyxose
20% ………. Ribose
20% ………. Xylulose
20% ………. Xylose

I am also interested in making a diy Advanced Nutrients b-52 stock solution.
The ingredients listed are
1. Vitamin B-1:
2. Humic Acid: Derived from leonardite which has many plant benefits… and…
3. Sea Kelp:

I am running Jacks hydro pro 5-12-26/ Calnit and really would like to make some additives. Any help is appreciated.

glow

Does anyone know how to make a diy stock solution of AN Carboload.
The ingredients listed on one site are:
•Arabinose
•Dextrose
•Glucose
•Maltose
•Xylose
and another site claims
Contains Non-Plant Food Ingredients:
15% ………. Deoxyribose
15% ………. Lyxose
20% ………. Ribose
20% ………. Xylulose
20% ………. Xylose

I am also interested in making a diy Advanced Nutrients b-52 stock solution.
The ingredients listed are
1. Vitamin B-1:
2. Humic Acid: Derived from leonardite which has many plant benefits… and…
3. Sea Kelp:

I am running Jacks hydro pro 5-12-26/ Calnit and really would like to make some additives. Any help is appreciated.

Carboload is just really 250g/L of glucose. Keep an eye on www.manicbotanix.com - we'll be making a stack of formulas available not too far from now (just building a new site as we speak).

Full formula (original AN manufacturing formula)

INGREDIENTS QUANTITY (400 L) QUANTITY (1000 L)
1 Sodium Benzoate 2.4 kg 6 kg
2a Xanthum gum 1.8 kg 4.5 kg
2b Isopropyl Alcohol 3 L 7.5 L
3 Glucose 100 kg 250 kg
4 Fulvic acid 8 L 20 L (Don't waste your time - they use it for colour and their fulvic is actually mostly humic)

Yeah --- I hope people aren't paying much for this

Last edited:

AWDTERROR

Thanks for the quick response guys. Do you have the breakdowns for big bud, overdrive or b-52.

I am also interested in what role does the isopropyl alcohol plays in the carboload mix...

What are you guys using to reduce stretch.. besides paclo.. I have been thinking about trying Jasmonic Acid. Anyone have any experience with it.

glow

Thanks for the quick response guys. Do you have the breakdowns for big bud, overdrive or b-52.

I am also interested in what role does the isopropyl alcohol plays in the carboload mix...

What are you guys using to reduce stretch.. besides paclo.. I have been thinking about trying Jasmonic Acid. Anyone have any experience with it.

The isopropyl alcohol is purely used to break down the Xanthum gum and the sodium benzoate is purely there so the shite doesn't fester. Anyone who uses this stuff is a moron:)

glow

ok thanks. Your saying carboload is a waste..?

If you're using bennies than there is some value to providing sugars that serve as energy/food for bennies (although a ferment of molasses and humates/fulvates would be more effective for this purpose),,, as for any other benefits yes a waste. One more ingredient in solution that while it may provide a placebo is essentially a waste of time. Although as it costs about 50c to make and if you consider it has benefits go for your life I guess.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Isopropanol is used for a nifty old trick: Mix it with a gelling or thickening agent (xanthan gum is the correct name, xanthum is a frequently used misnomer) will allow you to disperse it evenly in water so that it won't clump but result in a homogeneous gel or thick liquid. It is the same with making fondue where you mix the maize starch with some Kirsch before adding it to the white wine and ultimately the cheese. Try it with some cheap ingredients: strong booze, wheat flour, and water (cold water works a lot better than hot one) ;) !

The ingredients listed above look very funny (funny like a joke for nerds... me, I actually had to giggle) but would partially explain the high costs. On the other hand, some might be derived by hydrolysing wood (which BTW is very cheap), others are likely pretty useless (especially in hydro) or only useful alone (again especially in hydro), and last but not least the composition of the mentioned carbohydrates doesn't make too much sense.
Should they have changed the recipe mentioned by Glow, chances are very low that it's even close to the two listed above. But that's just my opinion...

PS Upsss... too slow with posting :D

PPS They should at least use some alcohol which is better plant available, such as methanol, ethanol, or even glycerol. Doesn't disturb at low enough amounts and might even be used as second 'carbon' source by microbes and plants alike.

AWDTERROR

Well, I am new to Jacks. My old nutrient line up was
-Botanicare CALMAG+
-SVA/SVB base
-SBA/SBB base
-AN Bud blood
-AN Carboload
-AN B-52
-AN Big Bud
-AN Overdrive
-phosphoload (low dose)
-hygrozyme
-orca mychorizi
-Pro Silicate
and Bloombastic

I get rock solid beautiful nugs. I am hoping I can achieve a comparable product with the jacks. I plan on using agsil16 for silica, but what would you suggest to replace some of the other items, if even necessary.

Thanks for you time.

Latest posts

Latest posts