What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Nutrients formulations, recipes, chemistry etc.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Dunno.... they're simply THE one fruit/veggie waste with the highest amount of chemical crap inside (followed by citrus fruits IIRC).
Many of the stuff sprayed on them is designed to preserve them (from insects, microbes, and the ripening process) during transportation; the stuff decays over the curse of a few weeks (tunable dependent on shipping time) in order to sell a "clean" product. Notably, the stuff looses its activity but its degradation products are still there. How these affect your plants and your health??? To me, it started to seem quite obvious why roses like the stuff so much when I figured out that most modern rose hybrids don't survive well without chemistry LoL.
Seriously, there's no telling what might or might not cause nobody investigates that sort of things but hey, who doesn't throw their banana peel on the compost?

trucker

I start with what I use in veg,, just the amm sulf...then I add in the MKP with it after 10-14 days depending on what the girls tell me... then after 21-28 days I add in the Pot Sulf... for a couple weeks..then i cut out the amm sulf and just use the other 2.. till i just cut it all out and give her a gulp of fresh water for the last week or 2

41 pages in. that was the info I was lookin for:woohoo::

Autodogg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
tiphat.gif
[/FONT]

epicseeds

INGREDIENTS
  • Peters 5-11-26 Hydroponic Special
  • Yara Calcinit
  • Epsom Salt

CANNASTATS PREMIXPPM PROFILE

dzbgZ3Y.png

After reading YosemiteSam for hours I tried to work with what I have and get as close to the K:N ratio of 2:1 and K:Ca:Mg of 4:3:1 as I have seen him suggest. I really like YosemiteSam's philosophy on Calcium levels.

Like Yosemite I am running in pure coco. While he was running trees, I am trying Ebb and Flow with this setup.

Any suggestions? Any alarmingly obvious issues you can see?

I plan to run this up until the end of stretch and then I need to find a way to increase P up to maybe around 70 and would like to leave K where it is at but I am not seeing how I can increase P without increasing K.

Maybe I will just run the whole grow this way and towards the end of flower slowly decrease the calcinit levels.... I dunno this is still a work in progress.

I also would like to find a way to get some more Silica in there but from what I have read it can mess with PH big time.

Anyways - what do you guys think?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I plan to run this up until the end of stretch and then I need to find a way to increase P up to maybe around 70 and would like to leave K where it is at but I am not seeing how I can increase P without increasing K...
Get your hands on some ammonium polyphosphate or superphosphate (single or triple)? The more expensive alternative would be organic bound phosphates...

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Howdy people.

I'm going to read back over this again, several years after reading when it was new.

I really like to stay away from growshops as much as I can these days, so the time has come to have a go at making my own shit. I've messed around flowering with Tomorite far weaker than I would use on tomatoes (because of all the nitrogen) and added monster bloom to it, but I have no idea what I'm doing. :D

Here are some salt mixes I can easily get, I'm hoping one or 2 of them will be a good basis for home made nutes.

1-0-1 = N.P.K. FERTILIZER 26 - 0 - 26 26% 375mg/kg (Mg/225) Iron 168mg/kg Manganese 85mg/kg Copper 85mg/kg Zinc 30mg/kg Boron 44mg/kg Molybdenum 1.1mg/kg

1-0-2 = N.P.K. FERTILIZER 19 - 0 - 36 19% 36% 375 mg/kg (Mg 225) Iron 168mg/kg Manganese 85mg/kg Copper 85mg/kg Zinc 30mg/kg Boron 44mg/kg Molybdenum 1.1mg/kg

1-0-3 = N.P.K. FERTILIZER 13 - 0 - 46 13% 46% 375mg/kg (Mg 225) Iron 168mg/kg Manganese 85mg/kg Copper 85mg/kg Zinc 30mg/kg Boran 44mg/kg Molybdenum 1.1mg/kg

1-1-3 = N.P.K. FERTILIZER 12-12-35 Nitrogen (N) 12% Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2 05) 12% (P5.2%) Soluble in netural Ammonium citrate and water Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2 05) 12% (P5.2%) Soluble in water Potassium Oxide (K20) 35% (K29%) Soluble in water Magnesium Oxide (MgO) 375mg/kg (Mg 225) Iron 168mg/kg Manganese 85mg/kg Copper 85mg/kg Zinc 30mg/kg Boron 44mg/kg Molybdenum 1.1mg/kg

3-0-1 = N.P.K. FERTILIZER 36 - 0 - 12 Nitrogen (N) 36% Ureic Nitrogen 33.4% Potassium Oxide (K2 0) 12% (K8.3%) Soluble in water Magnesium Oxide (MgO) 375mg/kg (Mg 225) Iron 168mg/kg Manganese 85mg/kg Copper 85mg/kg Zinc 30mg/kg Boron 44mg/kg Molybdenum 1.1mg/kg

3-1-1 = N.P.K. FERTILIZER 33 - 10 - 10 Nitrogen (N) 33% Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2 05) 10% (P4.4%) Soluble in netural Ammonium cirtate and water Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2 05) 10% (P4.4%) Soluble in water Potassium Oxide (K2 0) 10% (K4.4%) Soluble in water Magnesium Oxide (MgO) 375mg/kg(mg 225) Iron 168mg/kg Manganese 85mg/kg Copper 85mg/kg Zinc 30mg/kg Boron 44mg/kg Molybdenum 1.1mg/kg

I'm not worried about having to mix from salts every time, assuming they're not tiny amounts, I know I wont be able to make an A/B solution from these obviously, so I'm gussing I just need to know how much of whatever salts I need to add to any of these to make grow and bloom forumulas.

I have Monopotassium phosphate in the form of Monster bloom, and I have epsom salts.

I can also easily get this chelated micro mix

Iron 3.35% Copper 1.7% Manganese 1.7% Boron 0.88% Zinc 0.88% Molybdenum 0.023%
https://www.gardendirect.co.uk/garden-care/fertilisers/trace-elements/chelated-trace-element-mix

I know the micro mix is useful if I do decide to go looking around for more base salts, I was just wondering is any of those complete formulas would be useful. I though maybe one would be good for veg and then altered to make a bloom mix. Am I on the right track?

knabik

There's not a lot of salts in a typical two-part nutrient.

Here are the basic formulas to make a Veg (2-1-2) Bloom (1-1-2) and Finish (0-1-2) nutrient. You would need to add a trace element to these to complete, but it gives you an idea of just what's in most bottles of A+B and it's a lot less than you'd think, volume of each part is 1 litre:

Grow Formula (1 litre, 100:1 concentration, add at 10ml/l)

This formula closely equates to a ppm N:p:K:Mg ratio of 150:50:100:50

Part A
Potassium Nitrate (Saltpeter) KNO3 = 9.6 g
Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2/Ammonium Nitrate double salt = 94.3 g

Part B
Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salt) MgSO4.7H2O = 50.7 g
Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 = 22 g

Bloom Formula (1 litre, 100:1 concentration, add at 10ml/l)

This formula closely equates to a ppm N:p:K:Mg ratio of 100:100:200:60

Part A
Potassium Nitrate (Saltpeter) KNO3 = 19.2 g
Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2/Ammonium Nitrate double salt = 50.6 g

Part B
Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salt) MgSO4.7H2O = 60.9 g
Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 = 44 g

Finish Formula (1 litre, 100:1 concentration, add at 10ml/l)

This formula closely equates to a ppm N:p:K:Mg ratio of 000:100:200:60

Part A
Potassium Sulphate (Sulphate of Potash) K2SO4 = 16.6 g
Calcium Chloride CaCl2 = 30 g

Part B
Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salt) MgSO4.7H20 = 60.9 g
Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 = 44 g
Buenas.
Gracias por compartir tus conocimientos. Me han sido de gran ayuda para iniciarme a formular mis propias soluciones nutritivas.
Tengo una duda respecto a tus formulas. Cuando te refieres a esto:
Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2/Ammonium Nitrate double salt = 50.6 g
¿Quieres decir que se añaden los dos compuestos hasta alcanzar los 50.6 gramos o que se puede añadir cualquiera de ellos de forma individual en esa cantidad? ¿Se añaden los 2 o solo uno de ellos?

Gracias y saludos.