What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY LED CXB3590 2700K 32VDC X 6 (grow light)

acespicoli

Those white cobs usually have lots of red and blue in them.

Yes intensity is more important than Spectrum up until you start matching the DLI of the tropics and then playing with spectrum can be fun and rewarding.

A with small wattage light set up such as you describe, efficiency diffrences would be hard to see on your bill.

It is going to be interesting, I was looking into the strenghth of noon sunlight at sea level 90,000 lumens approx?
Im working out the intensity levels now :)

Last edited:

acespicoli

If you want to boost your lighting, check out this paint. I contacted this hospital clean room uv reflective paint company about their product. I tested it for them and now they have just brought it to our market. They used my PAR and UVB reflectivity test as a case study. The paint has a satin finish and is cleanable. I recently talked them into offering quarts.

https://www.twilightcoatings.com/collections/coatings-for-horticulture

Thats also a interesting idea nice looking product, im currently using mylar reflective film. :biggrin:
I have used gloss white paint before I did like it better.

acespicoli

4500k 5000k 6500k
I also have some 2700K ..... What is my best LED combinations at what ratio and what energy levels?

Last edited:

acespicoli

The Color Rendering Index (CRI) is a scale from 0 to 100 percent
indicating how accurate a "given" light source is at rendering color
when compared to a "reference" light source.
The higher the CRI, the better the color rendering ability.

biggreg

In nature the light intensity rises, reaches a peak and then falls off. In the grow box it's 12 hours of the same intensity. Look into DLI daily lighting interger. It's the number of photons per day. Try to match that vs peak midday lighting.

1000ppf uniform over the canopy for 12 hours would be a decent goal.
800ppf for veg.

acespicoli

In nature the light intensity rises, reaches a peak and then falls off. In the grow box it's 12 hours of the same intensity. Look into DLI daily lighting interger. It's the number of photons per day. Try to match that vs peak midday lighting.

1000ppf uniform over the canopy for 12 hours would be a decent goal.
800ppf for veg.

biggreg nice point,

Daily light integral (DLI) describes the number of photosynthetically active photons
(individual particles of light in the 400-700 nm range) that are delivered to a specific area over a 24-hour period.

I do prefer 18/6 to 24 (IMO better results with a rest)
The other I like is 12/12 or 14/10 with less daylight near the end of flowering!

A lower DLI can affect the shoot/root ratio, morphology, and the timing of flowering.
Each type of plant has a different DLI range for optimal growth. DLI is directly correlated with plant quality,
and a minimum amount of DLI is required for marketable plants.
Measuring DLI over a growing season and comparing it to results can
help determine which varieties of plants will thrive in a specific location

acespicoli

This is the spectrum output for the CXB3590

Shows some different kelvin values (K) and color rendering index's (CRI)

Last edited:

acespicoli

I am wanting to run my CXB3590 2700K 36 VDC @2100mA

The driver I am considering is the HLG-240H-C2100B

Last edited:

biggreg

The 3000k 90CRI for the win :) (was looking at the spectrum chart) the 2700k would be some warm, almost orange-y light. That would be good too

acespicoli

Different output lu@mA (lumens)@(milliamp)

A milliamp is a unit used to measure electrical current and is equal to one one-thousandth of an ampere.

Last edited:

acespicoli

Wiring in series divides the total power supply between the LEDs.
Wiring them in parallel means that each LED will
receive the total voltage that the power supply is outputting.

Diagram shows resistors its just a example...

Warnings

wiring in parallel drains your power supply faster than wiring things in series because
they end up drawing more current from the power supply.

It also only works if all the LEDs you are using have exactly the same power specifications.
Do NOT mix and match different types/colors of LEDs when wiring in parallel.

Last edited:

acespicoli

I picked my leds chose a driver and decided on a wiring layout.
Now for the frame design.
My first thought was a 1"X1" angle aluminum fame I have seen that done before.
The other idea is to use a track light type design,
I want to be able to use collimating lens on some of these
the LED puts out a 115 degree angle I want my 2700k@ 60 degrees
so covering the bottom is not a option

To work out my beams

acespicoli

Got a idea of my layout together
You can see the blue lights at 115 degrees and the reds at 60 degrees
3:1 ratio I was looking to favor flowering thinking now maybe 2 less reds would be better?
The more I look at this the more I am realizing directional lights will be of benefit

Last edited:

acespicoli

Anyone running any uv lights ?

Ultraviolet light is split into 3 categories based on wavelength:

Ultraviolet A (UVA) is from 320-400nm and comprises about 3% of the photons in natural sunlight that make it through Earth's atmosphere. UVA light does not damage DNA.
Ultraviolet B (UVB) is from 290-320nm and makes up less than 0.15% -- less than 1/5th of 1% -- of total natural sunlight. UVB light is energetic enough to cause damage to DNA, including inducing cancer in animals. Luckily for us, the Earth's ozone layer blocks almost all of the sun's UVB light.
Ultraviolet C (UVC) is from 100-290nm and is almost completely filtered out by Earth's atmosphere, so is not a component of natural sunlight. UVC light is energetic enough that it is used for sterilization purposes-- it kills living cells.
Plants respond to exposure to both UVA and UVB light; different plants respond in different ways, but in general studies have shown increased production of antioxidants / flavonoids and other natural sunscreen compounds in a process called photomorphogenesis.
The combination of UVA and UVB light (from a standard "reptile bulb" fluorescent light) also increases THC and CBD production, but the inclusion of UVB in the light has noticeable detrimental effects on plant growth compared to only UVA.

acespicoli

By Sirius J March 23, 2015

Cannabis researchers in Maryland exposed pot plants to ultraviolet radiation to see what would happen. They found that increasing doses of UVB radiation, a natural part of sunlight, made the plants produce almost 28% more THC in the buds.

In attempting to understand more about the function cannabinoids serve, the scientists discovered a relatively simple way to increase potency by a great margin. They ran the UVB experiment on both high-CBD hemp and potent Jamaican marijuana to see if the cannabinoid content would increase. Curiously enough, while THC increased in the Jamaican weed, the Czechoslovakian hemp received from the University of Mississippi did not produce more CBD.

So UVB radiation plays a role in THC production, but cannabinoids as a whole still retain their mystique. One fact can’t be denied: UVB radiation increases THC in strains that already express high THC.

How to take advantage of the effect

UV light intensity increases significantly at higher altitudes; the best hash plants in the world are grown in mountains and elevated regions. According to the National Weather Service, UV light increases “4-5% for every 1000 feet ascended." This means going from Phoenix to the top of the San Francisco Peaks increases UV radiation by 50%!

States like Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado receive some of the highest intensities of UV light with little cloud cover compared to northern states. Check out this map from the EPA to see your area.

Special fluorescent light bulbs generate radiation similar to natural UV light, and were used in the study. Growers put the plants under 40W Westinghouse FS-40 Sunlamps 10 inches from the canopy. Those exact light bulbs might be hard to find now, but similar, relatively inexpensive products are available in bulk and would be the best option for greenhouse-sized grows. The lights were filtered with cellulose acetate to remove the UVC spectrum—potent, damaging ultraviolet rays that are naturally filtered out by the ozone layer.

Micro and mini grow-ops can benefit from UVB supplementation, but need smaller bulbs. Desert reptiles like the bearded dragon require the radiation to make vitamin D, just as humans do. You can purchase a small UVB-emitting lamp at most pet stores. Mineral enthusiasts also use UVB lamps to make their rocks fluoresce, but the small handheld lamps are probably not potent enough for even a single plant.