What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY LED CXB3590 2700K 32VDC X 6 (grow light)

420empire

Veteran
Really one of the best threads in this section of ICMAG no doubt. It´s such a nice write up acespicoli, really interesting and in depth research you are doing here. I have a friend who use the hans LED panel, and got pretty nice results, i was way over surprised with the end result. In the begining i thought "yeezzz, it´s violet light, does it work?!" but i must admit it´s some of the nicest bud i got. So i told him about cobs, and he is willing to add or even use insted of his current panel. The reason why i just not keep pushing him to buy cobs is, his panel actually works really nice. So my question is, does cannabis really need that cobs "light" i mean almost natural sunlight, i would say yes, but his plants say something else.. I may be wrong, but would just to add a curios question to the debate.
take care and please drop some more nice stuff.

Cheers.

Phychotron

Like the thread so far. Great read and great starting source of info for further research.

Here's the link to the full text on the Maryland study of UV on cannabis. Up to 48% increase in THC production by adding UVB to a greenhouse supplemented with HPS. No effect on other cannabinoids or plant morphology.

https://smartgrowtechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/UVB-RADIATION.pdf

I'm thinking of using some CXB's in the future, as they're a cheaper buy in than individual diodes. I may do a combo of both but want to try building a 2-3 light fixture. Sourcing the materials it looks like around $300. Finding that perfect heat sink is tough, I want a passive heat sink but will probably actively cool it.

Not sure if you covered it or not, but I found this good read on the difference in dimming options. Basically PWM is the way to go because it won't effect the diode color by driving it at a lower current like with analog. I also has a broader range of dimming with better accuracy.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1281013

acespicoli

Hi 420empire

I appreciate the kind words :)
Debates are always welcome, I have learned more from others than I ever could have on my own.

Im not real familiar with the hans panel
(I do have a inferior blurple type light no where near as good as the bonsaihero hans is im sure)

Are these the specs you are working with?
6 Cree XPEBRY P01 Royal Blue,
20 Cree XPEBRD 801 Red,
11 Cree XPG-BWT GE6 White,
8 Cree XPEBRO 901 Red Orange and
8 Cree XPE EPR 901 DeepRed Led's

total power consumption max 180 Watt
Recommended maximum grow area 80*100 cm, 32" * 39"

acespicoli

Like the thread so far. Great read and great starting source of info for further research.

Here's the link to the full text on the Maryland study of UV on cannabis. Up to 48% increase in THC production by adding UVB to a greenhouse supplemented with HPS. No effect on other cannabinoids or plant morphology.

https://smartgrowtechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/UVB-RADIATION.pdf

I'm thinking of using some CXB's in the future, as they're a cheaper buy in than individual diodes. I may do a combo of both but want to try building a 2-3 light fixture. Sourcing the materials it looks like around $300. Finding that perfect heat sink is tough, I want a passive heat sink but will probably actively cool it.

Not sure if you covered it or not, but I found this good read on the difference in dimming options. Basically PWM is the way to go because it won't effect the diode color by driving it at a lower current like with analog. I also has a broader range of dimming with better accuracy.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1281013

haha that icon and sig, im digging it :)
I did need to read that text thanx for the MD UVB paper

Seems your right about that digital vs analog dimmer im going to add that in the near future. :tiphat:
Maybe even that aquarium controller or a diy $$$

I also thought of actively cooling these passive sinks, running additional fans for the plants are always in the way also.... oscillating fans
Solid long heat sinks have their merits, our passive sinks would work awesome in a track light fixture

Black - Cylinder Track Fixture - MR16 GU10 Base
Operates up to 50W Max. - Halo Track Compatible - 120 Volt - PLT 10051
$7.95 ea
or
Natural Metal - Gimbal Ring Track Fixture - Operates 150W PAR38 - Halo Track Compatible - 120 Volt - Nora NTH-108N
Could you imagine the ease of a modular cob build?
Its a profitable idea?
Anyone have info on a cob track light fixture I have seen some just not in the diy grow sections...

Last edited:

Phychotron

Prompt reply. I might end up ordering a few 70W heat sinks. The Simpo or EtraLed models look nice. The weight is a big concern, as you can go from 60-69 watt (simp0-135) and increase the weight by 40%. I'm going to email them and see what they recommend.

Thanks for your inquiry.
This is Jack, from Mingfa Tech, which is a leading led thermal solution in the world.
We are also the sole led thermal solution partner of Xicato.

Here attached our E-catalog for your reference. Please check which itmes are suitable for your project.
Then we will give quotation to you.
You early reply will be appreciated.

Here's the catalog he sent:
picture.php

picture.php

Phychotron

Err, looking at the CXB3590 at 2100mA and 36v its 76watts out the gate. So I would probably want to bump that up to 100-150w heat sink just to make sure. Its hard to guess what each one of these things can do. It'd be nice to have a side by side comparison.

acespicoli

Check the prices and see how they work out for you

Some others I looked at were
heatsinkusa
kingbrite (china)
northerngrowlights

just to name a few :)

*not sure about icmag vendors?

420empire

Veteran
Hey again acespicoli.

U are welcome. :) Well i asked my friend today, he said two of the panels are from 2013 and I could see on them the are on 65 watt. I think it´s only deep red, blue, and red on these. The other two panels are from 2014 / 15 ish it´s on 80 watt and the have all the sepc u wrote + green in it, theese kick major ass for such a low watt. If i was growing I would prefer hans, all though i also admire COBs DIY, for are more "nice" light to look at. When it comes to growing with COB´s i have no idea... The only thing i can say, is hands down, Hans led are working, and by that "burple" are working, no doubt. I saw somewhere in here that petflora (no bashing) said qoute :"burple lights mutate the plants" well dunno where that came from, sounds like brosience, but if any of you guys have more about this subject, please link som info. btw. mutation is not all ways bad guess it´s one of the big drivers behind evolution.

Peace.

acespicoli

420empire

Hi Buddy if you wanna compare I would look at luminous flux as a comparison unit...
then there is the cost per lumen in equipment comparison
maybe even look at lumen per watt efficiency

The SI unit of luminous flux is the lumen (lm).
One lumen is defined as the luminous flux of light produced by a light source
that emits one candela of luminous intensity over a solid angle of one steradian.

1 candle power?

Trying to stay with 90CRI color rendering index

XP-E2
Getting 200 lm ea chip
50/10000lm?
Price ea? $2.18

CXB3590
Getting 9900 lm ea chip
1/9900lm?
Price ea? $39.00

What do you think does the math look right
I might miss some details as to which ones are better and why?

It seems there is more than one way to grow some buds
depends what you want I guess?
Maybe someone else can weigh in on the pros of the XP-E ?
The CXB 3590 is one powerful COB, if your getting great results now why change?

(4 CXB3590 would cover a 3x3 or M2 nicely) IMO

acespicoli

The specific LEDs that the RW-150 uses are listed as
Cree
XTE Cool White XTEAWT-00-0000-000000H50 R5
XPE Red XPERED-L1-0000-00801 P3.

Those XTE & XPE in the area 51 are bright
That COB light is blinding
im looking online for sunglasses just to work with it :)
I have a welding shield I might try lol

Phychotron

Sorry for my late reply.
I checked all of our products and compared.For this CXB3590, Our HibayLED230130 is the best choice for your project.
The lower weight and better cooling performance. It is good for high wattage lights.

Here attached datasheet of HibayLED230130 for your reference.
Unit Price for 4pcs sample will be USD53.6/piece

Once you confirmed, Please give your detailed address, and courier account to us.
Will send PI to you soon.
Thank you.

$54 each and I'd have to provide my own shipping information.

acespicoli

This is the one I used

Apparently it has just been discontinued..... :(
Not sure if its the company or manufacturer?

Discontinued

The SST140 Heatsink provides 50 to 80 Watts passive cooling for Cree CXA/CXB 3590 and Bridgelux Vero 29. Recommended current 1.75 Amps to 2.1 Amps for 36V Cree CXA/CXB 3590 and Bridgelux Vero 29. The pin height in the new design has been increased from 60mm to 70mm for better cooling.

Includes

1pcs Heatsinks. Pre drilled and tapping for Bridgelux Vero 29 and Cree CXB/CXA 3590
Includes M3x6mm screws for mounting COB and M4x12mm screws for mounting heatsink
Optics

SST 140 is Pre drilled for Khatod SIO3 Silicone Lens and LEDiL Angelina Reflectors.
Why design with Pin Heatsinks

Pin heatsink have a unique pin geometry that uses surrounding air streams for a very effective cooling. The round, aerodynamic pin design reduces resistance to surrounding airstreams that enter the pin array, while simultaneously increasing air turbulence. The omnidirectional pin configuration allows air to enter and exit the heat sink in any direction and exposes the heat sink to the fastest possible air speed. The superior airflow and the high emissivity of the anodized heatsink surface allows Pin heatsink to offer an exceptional cooling for your COB LED. Compared to other undersized Pin Heatsinks, our large pin heatsinks are rated to provide better cooling and ensure reliable LED operation and minimum Light Loss over time.

Compatible with Cree CXB 3590 COB

Pre drilled for Cree CXB 3590 with Ideal Holder 50-2303CR (not included)
Pre drilled for reflector adapter 50-2300AN and LEDiL F13838_ANGELINA-XW (not included)
Pre drilled Khatod SIO3 Silicone Lens PL1825SR (not included).
4x M4 screw positions on outer perimeter and 2x M4 screw positions on sides for mounting heatsink
Compatible with Bridgelux Vero 29 COB

Pre drilled for Bridgelux Vero 29 (not included)
Pre drilled for reflector adapter LEDiL C13584_CLAMP-VERO29 and LEDiL F13838_ANGELINA-XW (not included)
Pre drilled Khatod SIO3 Silicone Lens. (not included)
4x M4 screw positions on outer perimeter and 2x M4 screw positions on sides for mounting heatsink

Specifications*

Diameter 140 mm
Base 10 mm
Height 10 mm + 70mm
Weight 820 grams
Recommended Watts** 50W to 80W Led or 25W to 50W Heat
Thermal Resistance** 0.75 C/W
Material Black Anodized Aluminum 1070
*Specifications are subject to change without notice.
**Reference values measured in 0 LFM Airspeed. Thermal resistance will be lower in an environment with airflow. Actual measurement is recommended each application.

Notes:

COB LED, Driver, COB holder and Reflector is not included.
Pins may bend during shipping. Please pull them back in position with a string. Contact us if you see any excessive shipping damage.
Align Ideal holder before installation to make sure reflector adapter.
Heatsink/Optics mounting positions highlighted in center.

Im pretty sure kingbrite still has these you need a alibaba account and from china its $40 shipping. I bought from USA company the price and shipping was fair.

acespicoli

This is the lens im getting ready to order soon

Description
Ultra Clear Silicone Lenses for CREE XLAMP CXA25, CXA30, CXA35, CXB35 Series COB LEDs
100,00mm x 111,00mm side - 42,93mm height
Type V

BENEFITS:
- Lenses material: Silicone
- Ring Material: PC
- Beam Angle: 60°
- The light spots here represented refer to tests carried out with CoBs with 23mm LES, ~5225lm

SIO3 Silicone Lens is supplied without the holder. The holder is optional and will be supplied only on request under the KE177614 (Material: PC) part number or under the KE177614ALU (Material: Aluminium) part number.
SIO3 Silicone Lens is supplied without the holder with connector. The holder with connector by Bender-Wirth is optional, available only on request.

-------------------------------------------------- Part Number -------------------------------------------------

PL1824SR [ SIO3 Silicone Lens Type V ]
PL1824SR + KE177614 [ SIO3 Silicone Lens Type V + Holder in PC material ]
PL1824SR + KE177614ALU [ SIO3 Silicone Lens Type V + Holder in Aluminium material ]

monarch

Check the prices and see how they work out for you

Some others I looked at were
heatsinkusa
kingbrite (china)
northerngrowlights

just to name a few :)

*not sure about icmag vendors?

I ordered mine form Kingbrite. It was a pain in the ass at first because there interface is terrible. You basically have to have a back and forth email conversation with them to get an invoice. Hopefully its changed by not but they were the cheapest so I put up with the extra work. I ordered CXB3590's CD bin if I recall. I can remember what I paid but it was around 50 a piece I believe. I saw an email a few months ago and I think they dropped in price. Tempting to get more :tiphat: