What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

3rd-3yed

Veteran

I never doubted it. I've trusted Karma Genetics to bring the dank...since Happy Brother Bx1...over a decade ago. Literally. Nothing but respect for, KG.

dank.Frank

Word Frank, thinking of my lost Happy Bro Bx1 keeper still bring tears in my eyes, I'll regret losing it forever.

Karma's work speak for itself since his first releases, the definition of a solid and trustworthy breeder.

Mochiesel looks really tasty! :lurk:

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
You sure do know how to make a grower feel special, F.A.M. :respect:

You send it, I'll grow it. You know that!

But - I think I have a better pheno of the Mochiesel over here blooming. Telling you. Grape Sweet Tart smelling dankness. I'm stoked to see the color coming through in the pheno you posted though! I'd love to see some color pop up in the line.

dank.Frank

That sounds like a terpene profile that I'd enjoy. Maybe yours will color up later on in flower. I like that you mention tart too, because that usually translates well into the flavor.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
mmm grape sweet tart.

i’ve come across a profile i call purple flintstones vitamins a few times in the past. maybe similar? love the flavor if you can find it with some power behind it that’s a winner for sure.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Nickman - I really do need to learn to start putting a screen in no matter what. Never was such a concern with things in containers or bags. Just pull the plant out, stare at it and start staking. Run some string around the stakes to make a temp cage where necessary, and put her back in place. Grab the next one.

@trichrider - Nothing pretentious about a question. The NPK value is not of the mix itself, but when that mix is added to 1.5cu ft of soil, that media should have said NPK value. I've never listed anything as a percentage of total media, except, perhaps in the past or when designing the base media itself. (example: 5% EWC, 10% perlite, etc - just an example, not based on anything) So, by aggregate - if you are saying the total combined value of everything, as it applies to 1.5cu ft of media, then yes.

The reason it also works to re-amend a larger volume of soil, is I'm using standard agriculture practices for fertilizing a crop based on pounds per acre. (pounds of each particular element - not the "fertilizer" but the individual elements - ie N,P,K, Ca, Mg, etc.)

And yes, the reason this works is because of the balance of the various ingredients in the mix. If you were to put 740 lbs of N in a soil using nothing but blood meal, you'd find yourself having quite a few problems for sure!!

CEC - in this soil, when first mixed is around 25-28. When it gets reused, over time, it climbs higher, between 35-40 as humic substances begin to play their role. This too, is intentional. The ingredients in the mix are balanced to keep focus on nutrient retention - which is essentially what a high CEC indicates. There are enough available exchange sites to form the necessary chemical bonds to prevent nutrients from being washed out of the media.

I haven't seen any lock out yet. I have seen them get a bit hungry at the end of last round. I'm about 99.9% convinced the tip burn I see this round is truly just a result of the mix driving the plants harder than the lights are able to do, leaving a bit of a surplus, that under more intense lighting, plant demands would have increased and therefore required more nutrition.

Which is a bit funny, because I keep hearing how LED drives plants to require slightly more nutrition. Given these are new lights, new strains, it's a bit hard to draw any concrete conclusions without running cuts under different lighting in the same bed, fed the same way.

@Seismic - Thanks! I'm trying.

@3rd-3eyed - Believe it or not, I actually used to have the Happy Brother clone, stateside. Broad mites stole her from me...and the OJD cut of SSSDH. Really a shame! She tasted like candied cucumber melon. Such a unique flavor profile!

@Blazeoneup - Always looking for that bleachy stem rub when sorting Sour D lines. It's a dead giveaway for the isolating the far leaning expression. FWIW - I started seeing the first sign of purpling on the fan leaves 2 days ago. 99.9% sure she's going to turn the corner and give me some great color. By the way, love the new signature. :respect:

@Heady Blunts - I understand what you mean about the vitamin bit. I think, that is a bit more metallic -ish than what this is. Maybe grape baby aspirin with a sweeter sour milk sort of reek to it. I'm really hoping she smokes proper.

Just a little teaser update.

Mochiesel #9 @ 41 days - getting excited to sample these flowers. Not at all the phenotype I was expecting. I flowered this plant out because I thought she'd be more Sour leaning - but she's certainly more of a GSC expression. Really surprised by that, but not disappointed. She has a flower/bud structure I just love...that classic Cali "kush" look.

picture.php

London Loud #4 @41 days - THIS plant - is looking like a Sour D leaning and stacking keeper. She is going to take a bit longer to finish up, but she is going to be a beauty. She doesn't have the loudest terps and she really is more sweet to the cheese side than anything else - in fact, all my phenos are. However, that could still change a lot as she matures. Her flower set and stack has the potential to be a great yielding plant. That's really what I was hoping for from the London Loud line - a high end plant with more commercial type yields.

picture.php

dank.Frank

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
thanks Frank. you've really got this on lock.
i'm going back to the beginning of this thread and taking notes.
thought about using a small stock tank for a bed...on wheels, it's beginning to look viable and the fact it can be moved is attractive. we'll see.
thanks again and be well.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@mr. brunch - You know how these lights perform, so you may not understand my skepticism. I won't know anything until I take the first puff and check the numbers. Thank you for the encouragement.

@starke - Thanks for the kind words.

@trichrider - I've been making organic soil mixes for 15+ years now. I have a lot of experience to build on and use as base criteria. I'm really pleased with how this particular mix has been performing across the board. I truly believe it's the best I've ever made and I'm glad I made the whole process of doing so open source so others could follow suit in a similar manner. It's nice to know people are making use of the information!

Glad you're thinking about a soil bed of sorts - on WHEELS!!! There is an idea! No only if my bed wasn't literally wall to wall!!! It has it's downsides as I've mentioned, but all in all I love the root space and the end results I'm getting. I'm determined to hit 2lbs in this 2.5 x 5' box!

Here's the room @6wks, with no color editing and then edited. On a side note - I did the awful task of getting in a screen - in mid-flower. I don't really want to talk about it. I'll never make this mistake again. I REALLY REALLY HATE molesting my plants in flower. I like to let them be at peace and the trichs to never be disturbed. Eh. Next time.

picture.php

picture.php

Notice room temps and humidity levels. 49-50% RH and 84 degrees. Not bad. Not bad.

I'm in love with this Mochiesel #9. I might just have to run a mono-crop of her under CMH. She's chunky up and down the whole way more or less. She really does have the chance to be a legit keeper. I can't wait to watch her finish over the next couple weeks. I'm stoked to have her backed up.

dank.Frank

nickman

Veteran
Your bed and those flowers are looking really good n healthy...!!!...

That’s so cool about that Mo#9... I really hope she finishes out the way you want her too...!!!... I’m sure she’ll be fire regardless, the way she looks now... is she the one with those bright red leaf stems ???

I’ll always remember this one run when I was growing JoshD OG x SourD fem testers for Karma and I had them in twenty gallon totes... they grew so big and full and were just so nice looking... I know it was because of them having all that root space... twenty gallons a plant indoors is a good amount of soil if you ask me...!!!...

I’m just saying between all that soil for the roots and your soil mix the plants are in heaven...!!!...

I love to see full room shots like that...!!!...
it’s looking real good for six weeks man...!!!... :tiphat:...

I’m itching to run one of these Sour crosses... as soon as I get a few other testers outta the way first. . .

mr.brunch

Veteran
The room is looking amazing
I totally understand the scepticism, I’m still looking for reasons to switch that tent back to hps, but I’m finding none at the moment
All the best :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@nickman - They all still have the purple stem thing going on. It bugs me, and normally, I'd have hit them with some P/K tea of some sort to see if I couldn't make it go away, but I already have a hint of tip burn and curl, so I know they are being pushed. Maybe something is not quite right or it has something to do with the spectrum. I really don't know, to be honest. It's not because of the GSC in the mix, because the petioles on the Cheese x are the same.

Thanks for the kind words - I've only show you half the room so far. The thermometer sit in the middle and the Mochiesel had flopped over due to weight and were shadowing the other half a bit. Part of the reason I was irritated I didn't get a screen up when I should have. I really did know better.

Remember the other half was planted a bit later with not so healthy clones. It's a mix bag of results, but I'm glad it's not empty!!! There are some good flowers there still.

I think from this point forward, the clear path is 8 plant SCROG for production runs. It is the nature of the beast - a bed that is. The REAL benefit comes with having bigger plants, bigger roots, more nutrient transport, etc. These SOG plants aren't bad, but it's not the same flower I'm used to seeing in some ways. I think that is the result of root development more than anything else.

Good vibes! Loving the look of your LVTK runs. Nice frosty nugs! :respect:

@mr.brunch - I'm with you on that I do believe. I can't see letting the CMH sit idle, but from what I'm seeing it wouldn't make sense not to keep these lights active either. I'm sure if I ran a double screen SCROG, with it stripped down except the top 8-12" of plant / colas - the end results could be rather surprising. I didn't adjust to the light very well, and that's simply because it just doesn't have the penetration of a 315w CMH. 14-18" of canopy penetration with my 315w CMH runs.

Still. I'll wait to see the finish line before making any final judgements. I'll certainly have a fair impression of what they can do based on how things are coming along at this point. Glad to have you along the journey, seeing as you already traveled the road. :joint:

PS - Mochiesel #9 is turning purple on the leaves and the calyxes are starting to show a hue. She's going to turn for us!!!! I've always been a sucker for a frosty purple plant. They are just so sexy to grow! :woohoo:

dank.Frank

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Things are looking quite well, temps in check, humidity in check, colas on deck, color change coming :woohoo: :dance013: :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@blazeoneup - I've been looking back at my own albums and then in other threads in general, and I guess it was all in my head. They don't really seem that far behind right now. It seems like they really went through a massive change between wk5 and wk6. I really hope this continues to be the trend.

If nothing else, I'll keep running these lights in another room... ROFL. It's how it goes. I need more room to sort new genes while still ensuring I have an uninterrupted supply anyway. :comfort:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But it also makes your dwelling sound like a airplane is trying to take off...

Still have to run that additional filter and duct blower.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whatever happened to scammie? her site went to members only so i lost interest...but she had disappeared for a couple of months...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I honestly don't know. I've not heard from her via the email I provided her. I'm not very good at keeping up with multiple forums, so I never made an account there. LED is not really my focus any more than CMH was my focus...

Honestly, I'm just trying to grow great medicine. The LED revolution is happening before my eyes and I'm not very handy, regardless how easy - and it was out of my price range. I was offered an opportunity to try something I otherwise would NOT be able to participate in - the LED revolution - without any real cost to me, other than potentially a bunk harvest.

Well, I can't really say much in terms of anything yet, and I really don't like how my run went with them based on my own lack of perfection. I still think, I'll have a fair concept of what is possible with the tech and I think I'll continue to use it, but I'll also use the CMH. It's silly to have them and not use them.

I already want to run a mono crop of the Mochiesel #9 under 2 x 315w CMH. 8 plants. Double screen. I think that'll be my 2# plant in this space.

I'm not disappointed in the HGLED 2 x XB200 setup - I'm just not as impressed as I was with the Growers Choice 2 x 315w CMH setup.

I'm nearing 49 days in all fairness. These plants are going to go much longer - they are 9-10wk plants crossed to a 11-12wk plant. I'm expecting 10-12wk flowering periods.

They have a lot of maturing to do yet.

When Mars Hydro offered me a free light - I accepted. I still have to see what the EpiStar 160 is capable of in a flowering situation over a 2.5' x 2.5' area.

If HLG offers me a set of lights to cover my full space to do a comparison, then I'd find myself testing another set of lights and screwing around even more...

If Phillthy was reading this, he'd PM me and tell me to get it together and stick with what I know and ignore any offer and just do what I know works. He'd not be wrong.

Building a mirror cab, ie doubling the space - allows me to get back to doing what I KNOW works - that being the 2 x 315w CMH, ie modern HID tech. I truly feel like with the right cut, it's possible to pull 2# per cycle with that lighting in this setup.

It's not about yield per say - it's about accomplishing a personal goal, without sacrificing or compromising methodology - that is in part what makes it a personal challenge and fun.

HGLED - offered me lights. I accepted. I knew what I was getting into. To date, personally, I've not had a single issue with her when it came to receiving or with the operation or function of the lights in any way. They work like...lights. Plug them in. TA-DA. Keep a fan around board height to circulate air and keep them slightly cooler to maximize efficiency...just like any light, move the heat...and see what I get.

I never promised to give a positive review nor was there any mandate to do so. I wouldn't have accepted if there were any conditions placed on it outside of - just use them and document the results. I don't take clones with conditions attached 99.9% of the time, I'm certainly not going to be a shill for anyone or anything, regardless of how I acquired it.

There were no stipulations.

I'm going to expand for multiple reasons - BUT MOSTLY - because - for 2 x 200w - they really aren't doing a bad job. I'd easily compare each panel to a 400w HPS in terms of canopy penetation - but again, we haven't hit the finish line yet. I'm along way from any final conclusion...

But, I find the XB panels to be competent grow lights - and now that I see how they work, I want to try and maximize their potential - because we are growers and that is what we tend to want to do. I have them. I'm not going to let them collect dust any more than I am the 2 x 315w Growers Choice CMH rigs.

I think I name dropped enough various things that it sort of balances out and nullifies itself so I am able to remain impartial??? LOL

Good vibes, Unc. - I really don't know. I'm just trying to grow some weed. :joint:

dank.Frank

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,aside from a few reports of bad boards it seems like they do work...at least as far as i had read on that forum...everyone here seems to be doing fine with them...i just thought it...maybe not unusual that she disappeared,just interesting that she,and here main minions abandoned the site at the same time...

YukonKronic

I’m finding my xb400 to be pretty good in my setup.. i would even say its beating my other box that has more wattage in white LED.. I think I want 2 or 3 runs before I can say for sure if it beats 600w MH or even my white LED setup if I can get them damn well dialled. I hate hodgepodged lights... I’m wishing hard for another tsl 2000 to fill out the space and get rid of the one home made fixture I had to use this run.

I was in the same boat as you .frank regarding wether things were looking quite right in early flowering but as I pass through six weeks I have large buds and colas covered in frost and stacking hard...

Have to say it’s cool to see your moving towards a double scrog for soil beds as well... I’m finding that when I get it placed at the right height (Haze cross next to a broadleaf dom?... oops) it makes an enormous difference to canopy organization and therefore yield as I can pack more colas in. The difference in flower quality on a larger root system with thicker stems is real as well in my opinion. At least for a soil bed.

I definitely want to see you try the double with lowers stripped .. pretty sure my xb400 would grow some 14+inch colas if done that way.
I can’t wait to find out!
I started my Oaxaca x Panama yesterday.. they’re going with HPHaze x KC and then I’ll start the A5s1 probably in a couple weeks prior to cutting current xb run..
ROOT EXUDATES!:dance013:
They absolutely HAVE to matter.. no other way I could get multiple strains feeling happy next to each other with no tests or measures to guide me in scattering feed. As I said I have Haze crosses next to heavy feeding hybrids and they’re all thriving.

I maintain my conviction that using cannabis based mulch/compost is of enormous benefit to keeping my soil in an ideally healthy state for herb to grow.

In the wild weed grows on old weed patches best or I don’t think fields of it would develop.

Really enjoy watching you work .dank it’s neat to see where my own “wing it” version of living soil has similarities to your well planned and developed ideas that you have managed to distill into a reliable recipe...
You make an interesting and useful metric to follow as indication of my own success or failure..

Latest posts

Latest posts