Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
My bad was away from the computer for awhile there.
@Ibechillin - An elbow is 454 grams on my side of the street. Damn dealers always keeping that extra. :joint:
I actually wrote 454g first and then thought about it some and changed it to 448g afterwards before posting, I was expecting this LOL. Maybe its a west coast or just more recent thing but street, medical and recreational has always seemed to have been 28.00 gram ozs and 448g pounds in WA, OR and CA where Ive lived over the last 10 years.
I appreciate your comments on higher feed levels and such. It's something I think I've noticed a lot more in veg than in flower. In part, using old tired soil when I first vegged these plants out - which resulted in not the healthiest clones / cuts - which resulted in lots of failed cuts and sluggish growth when finally getting treated properly.

My soil bed is HEAVILY amended. NPK values are 740-1110-945 - which is far, far beyond anything I have ever seen anyone recommend for any plant. Ever. Soil reports that don't take into consideration the availability rates / break down periods of the various amendments show the available ions to be through the roof and I get told no plant could grow in such a "hot" mix. I know for a fact this is not the case.

I'll admit though, I've been watching the purple petioles myself and wondering if they aren't getting enough phosphorous. It's week 3. Normally, if I was in a 3 or 5 gallon container - I'd be giving them a couple extra feedings of P/K/Ca/Mg during weeks 3 and 5, just to push them along and act as a trigger/signal to kick it into high gear. I've wondering if doing so in this instance would clear this up.

The other possibility - the plants just aren't demanding it yet and are growing exactly as they should, considering I know the soil technically has everything they need and it should be biologically available at their disposal.

Really great insight on the temps as well.

I appreciate you sharing DF, keeps my brain sharp being able to observe and converse. Thats hilarious about the heavy amending in the bed, more than likely you have plenty of soluble phosphorus available. The plants are probably struggling to translocate the available phosphorus from the roots to where it is needed due to the decreased transpiration at typical 74F-78F during lights on. Warmer air can also hold more water meaning relative humidity % will likely remain close to the same from the increased transpiration near 84F.

I'm not 100% sure what their spectrum is, that they claim is causing this differentiation in behavior, but if they are using the same white LEDs as everyone else it's just a 4000k spectrum. I'd not call that "full spectrum" by any means, but rather, a middle of the range, all in one, sort of approach, as opposed to running a spectrum that caters to one end of the range or the other, such as HPS/MH.

Not from Gavita referencing its own LED VS HID spectrum but a typical reference point in LED VS HID. ~55-58% of the spectrum emitted by HID lights (MH, HPS and CMH bulbs) is IR unusable by the plants for photosynthesis that only heats surfaces it contacts. Alot of people have a hard time wrapping their around this because spectrum charts typically only show the usable portion of the lights spectrum by plants instead of the entire spectrum it is actually emitting.

I still think the 3100k(r) CMH spectrum is the best I've ever worked under. I'm blown away by the output and quality of those tiny 315w bulbs.

I was getting close to that 2# goal the last cycle under 2 x 315w (26oz).

CMH is nice because being an HID it utilizes the same ideal environment as HPS, minimizing the initial learning curve that comes with switching to LED. They also bring the increased growth rates and other benefits from the improved spectrum as well, the drawback from CMH same as any other HID is energy conversion to light efficiency though.

If 55-58% of HID light emitted is unusable IR that means:

315w x 0.55 = 173.25w used is wasted energy!

315w - 173.25w = 141.75w only photosynthetic lighting power!

The 200w HGLED were supposed to be comparable to the performance of a 400w HPS. HGLED's largest board is the XB400 and it is supposed to be a 1kw replacement. Well, 2 x XB200 = 1 XB400 - which theoretically puts me right back in the range of 1kw HPS expectations...ie 2# per lamp. I know that is a lot of projection taking place, sure, but that doesn't change to end goal. There has to be some sort of metric upon which to give an honest review of these HGLED quantum boards.

Its aggravating that the design and discussion thread for those lights got deleted, I literally pounded into his/her thick skull how to design them from page 1... I really wish I could share a quote from Hydro Grow Led telling me that achieving 1 GPW under HID lighting is impossible and something only mythical unicorn growers claim...Hydro Grow Led's reference to yield under a given wattage HPS light is estimated at a max of 0.5 gram per watt also...

@Chili_B - Brother, MAC1 comes from Capitulator. It's "Miracle Alien Cookies" and aside from that, I'm not entirely sure what she is. Hate to admit it - but she got some sort of stem rot infection or something, even when completely dried out. Her stem got moldy at the base and just never healed. She slowly but surely browned off and died no matte what I did to her. Just not a healthy plant on my end, so she was culled. I'll have to try and get her back at some point, because I'd like to see what she is all about. She's pretty, if nothing else.

Truth is though, I have so many seeds, I'm looking for something NEW NEW.

dank.Frank

Appreciate the insight as well on MAC1.

Mattbho

Subbed and been lurking since the start . I'm thinking you must defoliate that jungle . I dont touch mine until around day 21 (after stretch) or I use that to slow down a plant I know will get too tall.

Did anyone mention led producers better results around 5 deg warmer than h.i.d. lamps. I was struggling until someone clued me in.

Being able to control June, July and Aug temps!!!
Is one of the best parts of going led

nickman

Veteran
Subbed and been lurking since the start . I'm thinking you must defoliate that jungle . I dont touch mine until around day 21 (after stretch) or I use that to slow down a plant I know will get too tall.

Did anyone mention led producers better results around 5 deg warmer than h.i.d. lamps. I was struggling until someone clued me in.

Being able to control June, July and Aug temps!!!
Is one of the best parts of going led

Your last sentence is the main reason I’d like to get some LED’s at least to use during the summer months when it gets really hot around here...!!!...

YukonKronic

You wondered about defoliation and wether these lights grow flowers?
Whole box with HGLED light on
picture.php

C5KC 2
picture.php

Bruce Banner strawberry pheno
picture.php
picture.php

Whole box without pink light
picture.php

So far so good!
I’ve been pulling any fans that block light from a lower bud... also did two larger scale defols but it makes little impact.. probably have to go over it again today or tomorrow.. I lollipopped pretty heavily leaving only top 3 or 4 budsites on anything that didn’t stretch into a nice cola..
continuing to lollipop anything obviously larfy or getting too far behind the rest of the scrog.
I have to say I keep going back and forth wether this light is going to compete with a 600w MH usually landing at a no but if flowers keep looking as good as early developments have shown I may just be a convert. I’m interested to see how lower growth left here and there to reveg looks at end of flower too... I have a wide range of heights in this particular scrog so I should be able to have some idea of how far away from the light decent buds will grow.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
Frank I don’t know if this helps any but I’m getting the final numbers on the hlg 480 with the Samsung diodes. There were 7 plants in 5 gallon buckets with your basic amendment recipe used. Each plant is producing a little over 2 zips per plant so I’m going to say a lb. I defoliated lightly this past round. I will go much harder this round. I do not like the penetration or spread of these lights. It seems to me the drop of off light is pretty significant once your not within 8 to 12 inches from the light.However this is hands down some of the best herb I have ever grown. The tops are dense and frosty as hell. What I’m testing now is matching led watts to hps watts. I’m running 6 in 10 gallon pots under two hlg 480’s in a 5x5 . This is 960 watts comparable to a 1000 watt hps and spread capacity. The spread on two of leds is much better than a 1k would be or seems to me thus far. The temps with only a 4 inch pulling air out is 80 degrees. I think I can get this down 3 or 4 degrees when I put in a bigger exhaust and intake fan in.I pulled almost 3 with 2 600’s in a similar set up so I’m going by that. I don’t know if any of this helps but just my experience so far. I definitely think strong defoliation is must to gain any density on the lowers but those tops will be pretty amazing. I think a mix of led and hps would kill and am working on something now to see. It seems with the lack of heat and the ability to keep temps down with no ac might have convinced me to make the switch. I think once I dial in the Proper watts per sq foot you can pull some pretty decent numbers in a dialed set up and the quality will be most amazing.

Attachments

• 30B2BE3E-01D6-4C0D-8E29-7320C796A565.jpg
    30B2BE3E-01D6-4C0D-8E29-7320C796A565.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15

nickman

Veteran
You wondered about defoliation and wether these lights grow flowers?
Whole box with HGLED light on
View Image
C5KC 2
View Image
Bruce Banner strawberry pheno
View Image View Image
Whole box without pink light
View Image

So far so good!
I’ve been pulling any fans that block light from a lower bud... also did two larger scale defols but it makes little impact.. probably have to go over it again today or tomorrow.. I lollipopped pretty heavily leaving only top 3 or 4 budsites on anything that didn’t stretch into a nice cola..
continuing to lollipop anything obviously larfy or getting too far behind the rest of the scrog.
I have to say I keep going back and forth wether this light is going to compete with a 600w MH usually landing at a no but if flowers keep looking as good as early developments have shown I may just be a convert. I’m interested to see how lower growth left here and there to reveg looks at end of flower too... I have a wide range of heights in this particular scrog so I should be able to have some idea of how far away from the light decent buds will grow.

Frank I don’t know if this helps any but I’m getting the final numbers on the hlg 480 with the Samsung diodes. There were 7 plants in 5 gallon buckets with your basic amendment recipe used. Each plant is producing a little over 2 zips per plant so I’m going to say a lb. I defoliated lightly this past round. I will go much harder this round. I do not like the penetration or spread of these lights. It seems to me the drop of off light is pretty significant once your not within 8 to 12 inches from the light.However this is hands down some of the best herb I have ever grown. The tops are dense and frosty as hell. What I’m testing now is matching led watts to hps watts. I’m running 6 in 10 gallon pots under two hlg 480’s in a 5x5 . This is 960 watts comparable to a 1000 watt hps and spread capacity. The spread on two of leds is much better than a 1k would be or seems to me thus far. The temps with only a 4 inch pulling air out is 80 degrees. I think I can get this down 3 or 4 degrees when I put in a bigger exhaust and intake fan in.I pulled almost 3 with 2 600’s in a similar set up so I’m going by that. I don’t know if any of this helps but just my experience so far. I definitely think strong defoliation is must to gain any density on the lowers but those tops will be pretty amazing. I think a mix of led and hps would kill and am working on something now to see. It seems with the lack of heat and the ability to keep temps down with no ac might have convinced me to make the switch. I think once I dial in the Proper watts per sq foot you can pull some pretty decent numbers in a dialed set up and the quality will be most amazing.

All those pictures are inspirational to say the least ...!!!...

How’s the stretch under these LED’s...???... typical or less stretch than usual...!!!...

U

useless.gardens

im killing it with an hlg 300v2 in a 3x3 w/ sour dubbs & some ODB aka cheesy rider :

verdant's bubba s1 under a carambola 100w panel :

had this a few weeks : marz ts1000

these lamps are the truth for veg. but flower, i dunno. 315w cmh producing for me too. one thing i dont like is that burple look but if it grows baller flowers who am i to say? then again, ive been using mh in flower since 1990. 250w enclosed fixture i got outta the back of a high times mag. ordering crazy shit from magazines & pushing the envelope even then. lol.

there is a reason you always see led comparison #s to a hid style lamp... & that's cause hid style lamp is the truth.

a free lamp & good review are to some degree mutually exclusive.

kim kardash gets $50k a tweet. feel me?
these lamp companies need to pay sponsorship like nike pays labron.
if an engineer from hlg comes here & starts popping about their lamps im to think what?

hid 4 life >> till you give me free lamps, free tents, and an endorsement contract.

Last edited:

Mattbho

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Hammerhead - MAC1 was a slow vegger. I didn't mind that as much though, being a soil grower. She seemed to fill roots out just as fast as other plants, which was a bit deceptive in terms of keeping her happy. My biggest issue was the limited side branching which made it hard to get multiple cuts of her to flip.

@blazeoneup - Glad to have you following along, brother. You're room is looking on point. Love what you are doing with the screens like that. :respect:

@Ibechillin - Hahahaha. You knew I wouldn't let those numbers slide, but you're right. Dope game uses different maths. Your break down on the amount of wattage actually getting to the plants for a CMH is interesting to me, if you consider the possibility that these HGLED lights are so fine tuned in terms of spectrum, there really shouldn't be any wasted energy, and are perhaps closer to performance of the 315w than I'm willing to believe immediately. I also wish that her threads were let up. I understand why people took the climate they did with her, but at the same time, I was trying to learn stuff. Even if she was posting incorrect information at times, the correct information was coming in from other people. I'm not a lighting expert by any means - it took me two years to be convinced of the 315w CMH before buying one. I'd NOT have LEDs in my rooms at all, if they had not been given to me for evaluation purposes.

@Fitzera - It would seem the pink hair thing is more common and spread across more varietals than I would have imagined originally. That means Sherbinski's "Pink Panties" could be anything...LOL.

@MattBHO - Glad to have you following along. It's been a bit of a erratic ride so far, but things are chugging along. Time waits for no man! Running LEDs a bit warmer has been mentioned at this point, with the ideal temps being closer to 84 vs 78.

I'll be honest. I'm not much a believer in the VPD charts in terms of producing quality. Perhaps I am wrong and I had this discussion the other day with F.A.M.I.L.Y. - but it always seemed to me, under HID, if you went above 78 then you lost resin quality, even in CO2 rooms where the chart says run them 84-86. Yields will go up, but it can't all be about numbers - it has to be about quality first and foremost.

I'm leery of the idea of a slightly warmer room. I might find myself in the same situation as everyone else though. Running LED in summer and CMH in winter just to offset normal seasonal temps.

@Nickman - 105+ degrees here in the summer. I understand what you mean! I hated seeing temps peak above 90 while I had the door to the flower room open and air flow changes. Exhausted air comes back much faster then and temps go up quickly! Doesn't give much time to take pictures or gawk at the ladies later in flower.

@YukonChronic - :respect: Thank you for sharing your experience. You seem to be a week or so in front of me with your flower run. I'm at 4wks today and things are still stretching for me - or they better be - or I'm not going to have near the numbers of my last CMH runs. I've got plants a different heights as well - and I've thought the same as you - at least I'll know at what distance the light works and does not. I'm like you - still very much on the fence if this technology is going to perform as advertised. These are NOT the same LEDs as everyone else is using. This spectrum is very unique. Yes. It grows healthy plants without a question - at the end of the day HGLED promised 3 things about her panels - 1. Lower Temperatures. 2. HID quality flowers. 3. Better yields. Until I harvest, I won't really have too much to say about the lights, other than like yourself, yep, they grow plants.

@sdd420 - Faster flowering times is something I keep hearing from LED users. I also heard the same thing from CMH users and I can't say I noticed things ripening any faster than I would have expected them to based on their gene pools. I expect these Sour D Bx2 hybrids to run in the 10-11wk range of the most part. I'll be surprised by anything that is truly done before 10wks.

@ProdigyGrower - Glad to hear you are nearing a harvest! The basic amendment recipe, SHOULD give you a better yield per plant than that. Those sound like 3 gallon type numbers. In a 5 gallon bucket, under 1k HPS, I was pulling 3-6oz per plant, depending on the strain. At only 2 ounces per plant, I have to wonder if light penetration is the issue. Then again, I've been saying this the entire time about small wattage lamps. I was amazing I could get 18" colas with those 315w bulbs. I really don't see that happening here with these HGLED. 8-12" colas is what I'm seeing right now. You're results are absolutely a welcome addition and certainly help me when I wrestle with these issues mentally.

@Razor_Ridge - Good to see you F.A.M. - How did those OGx x Snowman come out?

@Nickman - Stretch is weird under LED. I'm watching internode distances like a hawk trying to allow them to stretch as much as possible without getting lanky. It seems, the apical meristem will stop vertical growth and surrender that energy into secondary growth - which is good if you are running a screen, not so great when you want a bunch of single colas. I've had the lights further away and have just been letting the plants stretch into them at night, then raising them as necessary. I've stayed about 14-18" away for the most part, but I'm thinking they are probably only about 8" away right now. I need to raise them again, more than likely if stretch is not finished.

@Useless.Gardens - Good to see you drop in. You know I've been following along in your thread. Your tent city is such a vastly different approach than my own, but I get it. I agree - LED for veg seems to be a no brainer at this point. I've honestly considered, since these panels are 22" across, I could saw them in half and use them over my 18" wide veg shelves. The way they are wired, sawing the XB200 in half, wouldn't even impact performance in any manner. It just give me two smaller, more narrow units. XB100 custom job.

That statement should also tell you - the free lights I accepted - came with ZERO pretext of giving positive feedback. Before I accepted anything from HGLED, I was very clear I would give an honest review and I wouldn't compromise in any way shape or form. Everyone on these boards KNOWS I tell the truth, even when it isn't pleasant or favorable to me. I'd never become a shill for any product - even the ones I love using - but if it works, I'll certainly let people know what I can about the tech. Good and bad alike.

I've got a Mars Hydro EpiStar 160 to put to the test yet. My LED fun is not over by a long shot. Not to mention, I've still not tried any of the "white/yellow" LED spectrum that everyone else is running. I have these weird carnival light panels - so it's a bit of a different ball game. I'm curious to know how they stack up compared to other LED panels of similar wattage.

----------------------

I think after browsing and reading and studying what other growers using LED are doing in their rooms, I'm going to have to take defoliation a bit more seriously than I have in the past. One of the interesting things about the 530nm spectrum (green light) is it is supposed to carry other colors (blue, red, yellow, etc) further into a dense canopy for better results. This is in fact, data that NASA applied when they were developing the most efficient LED spectrum for producing crops on the International Space Station.

I don't KNOW if it makes any real difference or not really. It's hard to tell. But, that is the correct data and that is what they concluded. That is why these boards have the color spectrum they do. It's all very odd to me, but I'm very thankful for the opportunity to play with the technology with out any direct cost to myself. It's nice to be exploring the options a bit.

However, I'm still going to defoliate fairly heavily. I was hoping Scrappy Doo would pop in during this part of the thread and give his take on it. I know he just converted to the technique and is loving his results. I'll have to drop him a PM.

I can't thank you all enough for the good conversation and feedback. I'll update later tonight with pictures.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Useless.Gardens - Honestly, nothing wrong with that flower - EXCEPT - it's not big enough. Follow me on this. I have 2.5' x 5' - to try and pull 2#. That is my personal goal. In this 32 plant SOG - the goal was 1 ounce coals. That means 14-18" buds on every stalk. That is what it takes. That is why I have focused so much on the light penetration of LEDs. I'm thinking my best results in this rig, will be with 4 plants per light, SCROGGED in a double screen, like I did last time. Pulling 1oz colas also takes the right strain and she has to have legs. I'm not liking the idea of running 12wk strains all the time to get the stretch I'll need to make those colas. Time will tell, but I think the buds just aren't going to be big enough under these LED panels to give me the yield goals I'm after.

@MattBHO - Garden is looking good and I haven't committed to the expansion quite yet. I'd really like to get a round down with this LED first, but why wait? You're right. The 2 x 315W CMH just sitting around is ridiculous and sort of driving me a bit crazy at the lack of usage. I do plan to build out a bit more though. Just takes money.

dank.Frank

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Using the LED as supplemental side lighting with the CMH overhead could work well also if possible. Dr.king was claiming some impressive yields with an overhead 400 HPS and 150w of LED side lighting but also doing sequential harvesting to let lowers fill out more.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
If 2 lbs is the goal I would try to fit 7-800 watts covering that space. 2 grams a watt is no easy achievement and I think it’s more difficult in a smaller space without all the light overlap. With the leds it would be worth a par meter just to know you have them at the right height, even a few inches makes a big difference.
Vpd is more about establishing a canopy with as many flower sites as possible and then dropping the humidity as the flower density requires it. I have found I can keep humidity in the 70s, temps in the low 80s through 5-6 weeks and as flowers swell then the drop in humidity makes them thirsty and might signal them to get serious. It’s really probably just the way I like to do it.
Keep on growing.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I agree the numbers are not where they should be. I pulled 4 in the same mixture in the same buckets under a 600. I definitely learned quite a bit from this. I know the genetics I’m growing are not high yielding og’s and cookie crosses but I still feel like a oz per gallon with the amended recipe is easily doable. I guess I’ll be going back to the Stone Age of single ended hid lighting lol. Ohh mine too finished a week sooner under the led’s and seem to be more frosty and sticky. If this is the case from having a
Much better spectrum. I think I’m going to try those hortilux super blue bulbs out this next run or alternate to get more diverse spectrum. We will see what I can do in these 10 gal under two hlg480’s. I did just pull a round using your mix your currently running in your beds. It was a bitch getting some of the things lol. It was really easy though in 10gal buckets I just mixed for 1.5 ft and planted and off they went no burning no stalling just balls out. Pretty amazing fr thanks for all the help hands down best herb I’ve produced.

Attachments

• 2B892E91-4F95-4311-8EE5-AA4084360A39.jpg
    2B892E91-4F95-4311-8EE5-AA4084360A39.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 16

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
The 2 p, I think is definitely achievable with the 630s and a semi sog. On my side of the street, the math is 448/lb 28g/z. 175-225/z all the way up.
As for the defoliation, DF if it was mine I'd be pulling the big fans and leaving the smaller stuff. I'm not sold on the light penetration of led compared to a cmh/hid.

Latest posts

Latest posts