What's new

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Goats

I first noticed mr Sparkle on reddit, then on here, and a few things seemed off. There always seemed to be subtle endorsements, whether for a particular seed vendor or forum or piece of equipment, without Sparkle ever actually saying he was pushing product.
I just went to Big Perm's profile page to add him to my ignore list and low and behold, who is one of BP's 2 friends? Mr Sparkle.

Goddamn underhanded guerilla marketing is everywhere.

can you point me to some examples that cause you to believe he's pushing something? the guy has never been anything but really polite in my interactions with him and he is a skilled little micro grower who has shared tons over here and on the other forum he's on.

if he's selling things i am either missing posts where he shows it or it's so subtle i haven't even noticed.

plz show.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I named Golden gloves.

Was wondering what that was. Just saw that pic. To be honest, I'm jealous of that name take. Don't think it's even been used yet...ever...on any strain. Well done. Catchy af too. I dig it on name alone.

I want some... :laughing::laughing:

I've heard mixed reviews on the Zkittles. That's why I said I was a bit skeptical of it. I started reading and the guys who made it were saying when they first introduced it, it was all pre-rolled. It was too leafy and they thought if people saw the buds they'd never give it a chance, but they loved it's terps and it's high, so that is how it went. Pre-rolled every where. Once it caught on, people saw the flowers and were a bit in disbelief. When it won Emerald Cup, it stopped mattering what it looked like.

I talked to a couple big growers out in Cali whose work I respect and one in particular said they had worked the Zkits into pretty much every line they produce for mass because people can't get enough of it.

I got to think about it, with enough hunting, a sour grapefruit diesel might exist in the line, and THAT is what got me sold on it. Chances are, it does exist. I'll have to acquire 4 packs of these at some point to do a pheno hunt.

I had gotten myself hype to run that line, but mostly because I had to. I'm a power over everything type of smoker. Just like I said about the Mochi - oh, creative artist high - oh, love it's terps, it tastes so good, just like skittles = WEAK SAUCE. I ignore those kinds of reports. Not because I don't like flowers that taste great or have mind expanding effects - but because if that is the FIRST thing you mention, instead of wow - that is potent cannabis AND it tastes like...

Just how I've learned to mentally filter the thousands of possibilities when looking for something new. Interesting to know you've had the Zkittles and didn't care for it. Thanks for sharing that insight! :joint:

dank.Frank

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the same vendor that told me GC, Fluence, Gavita, Scyence didn't know what they where doing LOL. You cant argue with people like that.

Never mind most of those lights were designed by someone with "Dr." before their name or a whole string of letters after it.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FWIW - I am classically uneducated, but when I take soils to universities to be tested by people with Dr. in front of their name, they tell me it's impossible for anything to live in it because the ppm is to high. I've been told they don't have a standard test to answer questions I've asked or to provide the type of data I'm after.

I'm not saying this in any way, but you don't see me claiming to be a world renowned anything or the most knowledgeable whatever, either, sooo... - but I'm fairly sure I'm a top tier grower. It's why I want to participate in IC 2020 so badly and why I'm encouraging others to do the same. More entries equals more validation, either good or bad.

Kind of playing off the question that AG asked - If I run these HGLED lamps and find them to be excellent, am I going to be called a shill?

I have zero intentions of going to others threads and saying run these instead. I figure I'd likely suggest them to NEW growers or people converting to LED, just because it'd be a solid investment. But, I do that with other things I'm utilizing in my room as well. If anyone ever asked about exhaust fans I'd say Vortex, but that is because they have worked consistently for me. Does that make me a shill?

So, I'm honestly NOT expecting to be impressed with the LED panels. I'm expecting to have to re-hang the CMH. That means, I'm anticipating any potential issues that may create.

Thank you all again for sharing openly. Free is not always FREE. I fully expect HGLeds is viewing our conversation and I'm okay with that. I like my group of skeptics. It's healthy and it keeps progress real. It also means, I've got you all gathered up in one sweet little den to drop the mass marketing bomb on...

ROFLMAO. Sorry. Couldn't resist. DON'T go get the tinfoil. ;)

I generally don't watch posted youtube links so I missed the video, but if so, buying a light - from yourself - to demo a product you sell and stand to benefit from the success of - that however is a bit ick.

I have zero affiliation with any L.E.D. maker except Lapides. :joint:

I'm telling you right now. Phillthy would kick me in the nuts for even considering messing around with a system that is working properly as is.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
No1 would ever call you a shill brother, well unless you start selling only Vortex fans and HGL lights. then do a side by side like Mr Big is doing.

As for Dr's I swear they all have ZERO common sense. I got a call a few months back, Dr was cold in his office. I went there and thermostat was on 50. I said to him its set for 50 turn it up if your cold. His response..."oh is that what that does" I wanted to hit him with a tack hammer.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think there is some truth in, to be a true expert at something and then to shine above the rest of the experts, you have to be a bit - odd - uncanny even. That degree of focus and commitment to something tends to isolate and consume a person.

There may even be a few of us here like that. LOL.

Much the same as the other scenario, if I keep using the light, that will be the biggest statement of any review I could give.

The catch 22 is it doesn't really mean I'd be saying the lights are going to replace a double ended Gavita as the go to standard in the industry. I run 2 x 315w - the rest could only be extrapolated.

Here's the thing - I'm running 2 x 315 to try and replace a 1k. Now I'm being told that 2 x 200w panels can replace the 1k - essentially. I feel the 2 x 315w system doesn't equate to a 1k. VERY close though. Impressively so. Quality is there. Numbers not so much. That doesn't mean that 2 x 630w CMH wouldn't out perform 2 x 1k though. Because I know without question if you hung 3 x 630w vs 2 x 1k you WOULD crush it.

Rambling. Been smoking Suzy Q Bx2 flowers rolled in Cobalt Haze dry sift all day. :joint:

The gist - because I don't think the 2 x 315w quite = 1k. I don't for see the 2 x 200w panels working quite as well as 2 X 315 cmh and then perhaps certainly not as well as 1k.

If you look at the HGLED panels - The xb200 has 4 boards with 192 LEDs. The xb400 has 8. So, if they are offering 2 x xb200 - That is telling me I'm back to 1000w expectation territory again. 2# per cycle territory again.

THAT is where I belong or these lights being pushed as 1k substitutes just aren't. That includes CMH. I do love the spectrum of the CMH though and the quality this round is honestly getting nuts as the 9wk Cobalt light matures. Resin leaf tacos. Day 51.

I think with these small wattage CMH bulbs I've sacrificed some yield in the name of increased quality. I'm ultimately okay with that...

The issue with these small wattage bulbs is canopy penetration, ultimately - intensity, is probably the wrong clinical lighting term, but - HGLED is using green light because NASA studies showed it drove lower growth production rates. They learned green light IS utilized by plants - it helps carry light deeper into a dense canopy.

THIS is why I want to try the lights. They are 21" x 21". My room is only 30" wide. 60" wide. These panels will quite literally fill my space.

I WISH - however - the manufacturer wasn't saying, "science says this is the optimum amount of light absorption" - I'm kind of an over-kill is king type. If these lights CAN be driven harder, to produce a more intense light, in this same spectrum - THEN - I might not be so skeptical.

To an extent, forget the efficiency of it and let's max this spectrum out until I'm just growing 1lb resin glands on a twig. I hate my high-efficiency washer. It's trash. Nothing ever gets clean. It wasn't cheap either. If high-efficiency grow lights means the same thing, I won't like them either.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I think there is some truth in, to be a true expert at something and then to shine above the rest of the experts, you have to be a bit - odd - uncanny even. That degree of focus and commitment to something tends to isolate and consume a person.

There may even be a few of us here like that. LOL.

dank.Frank

I can relate with this, Im a hermit other than Icmag lol.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
penetration is definitely an issue when you go to lower wattage lights,you just can't get around the whole pi r squared thingy,you can't get around physics no matter what spectrum you run...so the inherent limitation of leds is always going to be getting sufficient penetration without sacrificing coverage...

and one thing about the nasa spectrum studies hgl is misusing is that the plant responses to the various wavelengths were conducted in elevated co2 level spaces and the vpd tightly controlled so if your space isn't kept to the same levels it's doubtful the spectrum is going to have the same effect they saw in the studies...it's just a bad use of science to say some effect observed when growing soybeans is automatically going to apply to all plants.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FWIW - I am classically uneducated, but when I take soils to universities to be tested by people with Dr. in front of their name, they tell me it's impossible for anything to live in it because the ppm is to high. I've been told they don't have a standard test to answer questions I've asked or to provide the type of data I'm after.

I'm not saying this in any way, but you don't see me claiming to be a world renowned anything or the most knowledgeable whatever, either, sooo... - but I'm fairly sure I'm a top tier grower. It's why I want to participate in IC 2020 so badly and why I'm encouraging others to do the same. More entries equals more validation, either good or bad.

Kind of playing off the question that AG asked - If I run these HGLED lamps and find them to be excellent, am I going to be called a shill?

I have zero intentions of going to others threads and saying run these instead. I figure I'd likely suggest them to NEW growers or people converting to LED, just because it'd be a solid investment. But, I do that with other things I'm utilizing in my room as well. If anyone ever asked about exhaust fans I'd say Vortex, but that is because they have worked consistently for me. Does that make me a shill?

So, I'm honestly NOT expecting to be impressed with the LED panels. I'm expecting to have to re-hang the CMH. That means, I'm anticipating any potential issues that may create.

Thank you all again for sharing openly. Free is not always FREE. I fully expect HGLeds is viewing our conversation and I'm okay with that. I like my group of skeptics. It's healthy and it keeps progress real. It also means, I've got you all gathered up in one sweet little den to drop the mass marketing bomb on...

ROFLMAO. Sorry. Couldn't resist. DON'T go get the tinfoil. ;)

I generally don't watch posted youtube links so I missed the video, but if so, buying a light - from yourself - to demo a product you sell and stand to benefit from the success of - that however is a bit ick.

I have zero affiliation with any L.E.D. maker except Lapides. :joint:

I'm telling you right now. Phillthy would kick me in the nuts for even considering messing around with a system that is working properly as is.

dank.Frank
Absolutely not. I would call a spade a spade and say those lights are excellent as well. Hell, they still seem to be damn good from what I can tell so far. But they certainly don't deserve the arrogance attached to them.

ETA - If history books are correct, I wouldn't have liked Thomas Edison either. So...

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was wondering what that was. Just saw that pic. To be honest, I'm jealous of that name take. Don't think it's even been used yet...ever...on any strain. Well done. Catchy af too. I dig it on name alone.

I want some... :laughing::laughing:

I've heard mixed reviews on the Zkittles. That's why I said I was a bit skeptical of it. I started reading and the guys who made it were saying when they first introduced it, it was all pre-rolled. It was too leafy and they thought if people saw the buds they'd never give it a chance, but they loved it's terps and it's high, so that is how it went. Pre-rolled every where. Once it caught on, people saw the flowers and were a bit in disbelief. When it won Emerald Cup, it stopped mattering what it looked like.

I talked to a couple big growers out in Cali whose work I respect and one in particular said they had worked the Zkits into pretty much every line they produce for mass because people can't get enough of it.

I got to think about it, with enough hunting, a sour grapefruit diesel might exist in the line, and THAT is what got me sold on it. Chances are, it does exist. I'll have to acquire 4 packs of these at some point to do a pheno hunt.

I had gotten myself hype to run that line, but mostly because I had to. I'm a power over everything type of smoker. Just like I said about the Mochi - oh, creative artist high - oh, love it's terps, it tastes so good, just like skittles = WEAK SAUCE. I ignore those kinds of reports. Not because I don't like flowers that taste great or have mind expanding effects - but because if that is the FIRST thing you mention, instead of wow - that is potent cannabis AND it tastes like...

Just how I've learned to mentally filter the thousands of possibilities when looking for something new. Interesting to know you've had the Zkittles and didn't care for it. Thanks for sharing that insight! :joint:

dank.Frank

There's a lot of cuts I have tossed that many would say I was an idiot for doing so lol. Thees only a few I really miss. For the last few years I haven't run many clone only cuts. The last I had was Sherb.. I currently dont have any other clones from others. I will find keepers in my own work going forward. I have plenty of seed stock to last the rest of my life. Using seeds also prevents all the drama that goes with using others clones to breed with. I will try to live stress free as best I can until its my time.:dance013:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree Hammer with a lot of that, and honestly, the industry changed right before our faces and you caught heat for doing what we had always been doing. That type of fall out sucks and I hate it for you. Wish plants didn't come between friends, but it does happen. I've still not been able to fully repair a fallout over Stank Bros and it (I) was irrelevant to the scene, so...lol. It happens. It shouldn't but it does.

I don't know why I'm always out of rep, but, I'll swing back through.

2 Mochiesel and 1 London Loud above soil already.

dank.Frank

U

useless.gardens

ive seen a few guys go the full monty (veg to flower) on those 550v2 lamps. we'd be talking about 4x8 tents & similar sq footage. i mean, it's only pics... just the internet... i cant see into the bottoms... but those people running the samsung boards & meanwell drivers are killing it.

go with what you know.

i just bought the HLG 300v2 and no fucking way would i ever change even a secondary (let alone my main) flower tent... and now that i think about it... id never change any lighting in any flower tent that i thought produced well.

what are we saving? 50w-100w per/hr over 12 hrs?

if you depend on this medicine, bro, stick with what you got.

no lamp is out performing what you rock ...2 @ 315w ...$ for $ watt for watt ...in your space.

all these lamp companies. if they all know better than us... why am i still b52 bombing it with an adjust-a-wing (the best IMO) & a hortilux bulb?

and if you show me a side by side, me, personally, i wanna see it with a cut i know.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
10/12 on Mochiesel
5/12 on London Loud

I planted them about 12 hours apart so this isn't really surprising me too much. Looks like we will have a good run. I'm not even slightly concerned at this point. Surprised as many are up as there is.

I'd love to have 8 females out of each line like I got when I did the Brotherhood OG run.

This Happy Brother leaner was insane. Cucumber melon OG.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looking forward to what this new Karma Genetics work is going to produce. With good reason.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need some information. Reflections on the Chem Sis x Topanga Pure Kush - from those that have grown both parents. Chem Sis is bread and butter for me. Topanga is a new one, so I'm assuming for the most part, the behaviors I'm seeing and am unfamiliar with are from that gene pool.

Is the Topanga REALLY annoyingly light sensitive? Anything closer than 18" and this sis/pk foxtails. Not a little. I have tops that have gone flat, wide, become just bare stems with tiny half folded green leaflets - and quite literally 4 " below that at the next internode is a flawless diamond.

This seems to create an issue. The light penetration only goes about 16-18" into a canopy at 10-11" from the tops.

I don't know if I'll be able to grow flowers in the sweet spot that are bigger than 12". Considering she stretched from 28-56" - that is a lot of wasted plant, even if flowering from rooted clone in a SOG style garden.

She might actually be a great plant - even production wise. It might be you just hack the top 6" off each cycle and toss it in the hash pile. I have 8 colas that are each 14" or bigger with several side branches. She spreads out beautifully. Isn't overly floppy.

Smells like chemdog and 70's polyester. I'm really expecting her to be a phenomenal plant. I've not seen a single nut sack or banana - and we are at 54 days. Fingers crossed she doesn't panic here in the next couple weeks. She's certainly looking 10-11wk. 10 wk if she pulls a chem sis gene trait and just gets fat out of now where and finishes off - like GG#4 does in the last 2 weeks.

I'm working on the camera situation. Sorry for the lack of pictures recently. I will confess - this round looks 10x better than the first cycle. This 9wk Cobalt Haze is iced out and starting to hit senescence. Her flowers are taking a lovely blue hue to them. I don't even want to discuss the 12 wk side. Thinking it was the other plant really changed how I cleaned that one up. There is a lot of empty space. Nice flowers, but I'm not going to hit the numbers I wanted because I was over zealous on the wrong plant.

It happens. I'm at the phase of the cycle where I'm over it and I just want the next round of plants to get started. I get that way when I see imperfection. I hit the reset and take it from the top. Cannabis - forces patience and character building in that sense for me. Flawed - does not mean a complete waste. Just have to adjust and see shit through. Ride that 12/12 wave just a bit longer... CMH does make some pretty flowers. I'm curious what elites look like in this room. Maybe MAC1 will be ready for a round in a month.

:joint:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i hear yah,it's killing me waiting for 3 plants to finish in the led room so i can reset after fucking up the first round...no 12 weekers in the next round...and i shouldn't be altering stuff like ventilation in the middle of a 100+ degree heat wave and altering my nute regime...i keep trying multiple experiments in one run which of course makes it impossible to say what did what...still need to up my root game,but that will have to wait until free cooling season...still better than last summer when i basically zeroed out for the bulk of the summer,the led's have been a game changer in that respect...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This - is the plant I'm chasing - and have been chasing, for a decade now.

Zoolander - Chem Sis x NL1/NL5

IMG_3913ds2.jpg

IMG_3919ds4.jpg

IMG_3798ds0.jpg

macro-3.jpg

macro-2.jpg

This is the plant I still judge all others by. Sis/PK has big shoes to fill. She is already not nearly as pungent or loud, but that is not necessarily a bad thing for my current situation.

I have a feeling these Sour D Bx2 testers are going to have me running to buy a new filter and perhaps run a second one.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no 12 weekers in the next round...

Hear! Hear! When I was Running - a plant past 10wks was out of the question unless it was just kicked off to the side of the room.

Although, I'll admit. The market is saturated with commercially grown, massed produced Cali and CO terpy insta-nugs and those vape carts.

I'm being drawn to a specialization that I don't necessarily enjoy, but because there is such a market gap - that make you call the ambulance on yourself effect.

Maybe I'm just annoyed by candy vape pen weekenders thinking they are the ultimate stoners. :moon: :laughing:

dank.Frank