What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had things mixed up some how. Apparently, I've put 4 of the 9wk under 1 lamp and 3 of the 12wk with the Sis x PK. Oops.

At 38 days - things are looking a week behind still. This Sis x PK looks like it's going to be an anorexic producer or it's going to take 11-12wks.

picture.php

picture.php

Chem Sis x PK @ 38 days

picture.php

Now, the resin that is there, reeks like straight chem and it's intensely sticky and greasy. Very oily resin. Not sure what shes' doing - but she has potential. Still not real "loud" but the funk is there.

dank.Frank

genetic freaked

Veteran
They are looking great Frank!! How are you doing with temps in this summer heat??

Lazy Lightning
Corey Stardawg
Mandarin Cookies
MAC1
Bandaid Haze#7

WOW what a lineup!! So happy you got LL back. Looking forward to the breeding project going down. Will be cool to watch this project and how many different ways you can take it.
Tell Corey I said hi lol.
Hope the BH7 makes it’s.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chickens and eggs buddy. We'll see what makes it. You know that tale. ;) :respect:

Temps - sorry I missed that last post. 91-92 when I open the door. 82-84 when things are closed up. This winter should be very nice. Lights off have been 58-62. Lower, than I'd prefer.

I think next year, during summer, lights on during days, lights off at night. I have my logic. Not for every one, but it'll work better for me in my situation.

BH7 - looks great. Perked up really well under some rehydration advice. The LL, looks iffy. Lot of brown tops. Everything else, surely 1 of each should make it. If LL fails, I'll just plan that road trip we keep talking about.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks all for the kind words and good vibes - but - they are NOT 100% happy.

I'm seeing a faint hint of yellowing a bit too soon and some red/pink veining coming on the smallest leaves in the colas. I'm think it's time for a top dressing of a P/K combo with a VERY slight touch of nitrogen.

Fertoz calcium phosphate 0-7-0 + 26% SiO2, some potassium sulfate 0-0-50, and sodium nitrate 16-0-0 - will be the go to here. These are all organic and extremely available when put into solution. I have versions of these products that can be ran through irrigation drip lines in large field settings, so I'll be mixing a "tea" of sort to correct the onset of an earlier deficiency.

Some might foliar and it might be more appropriate? All these CAN be used as a foliar as well, when mixed appropriately. Example, the Fertoz can be mixed with a citric acid solution to dissolve it and make it passable through overhead misters.

I don't like to spray ANYTHING on my flowers, so through the roots we'll be going.

I'm also seeing some spotting on the leaves. Gmanwho taught me something very valuable I'd never learned before about how chlorine passes through cannabis plant tissues and the resulting damage - which I'm starting to see on the leaves of the Sis/PK and the 12wk Cobalt Haze.

I've mentioned before I was running a risk and creating a potential issue by using tap water. I've always preached RO. It's on the list of upgrades. For now, I'm going to need to start bubbling water to get the chlorine out. I hate that. SO. MUCH. NOISE. (air pumps)

I'll try to document these flaws so you can see what I'm attempting to fix.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Bmac1

Veteran
Hey DF, can you share any details surrounding the damage caused by the chlorine? I'm curious to know.

As for the tap water, how about just adding something organic to the tap water? I could be wrong but it's my understanding that it will neutralize the chlorine/ chloramine. I use tap water and with this last run, it was out of the tap and into the pots. I did see what I thought to be premature yellowing this round though. In past runs, I have just put a small handful of my organic soil into the water bucket straight from the tap, gave it a stir and then watered with seemingly no I'll effects.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hey DF, can you share any details surrounding the damage caused by the chlorine? I'm curious to know.

As for the tap water, how about just adding something organic to the tap water? I could be wrong but it's my understanding that it will neutralize the chlorine/ chloramine. I use tap water and with this last run, it was out of the tap and into the pots. I did see what I thought to be premature yellowing this round though. In past runs, I have just put a small handful of my organic soil into the water bucket straight from the tap, gave it a stir and then watered with seemingly no I'll effects.

That's what I have heard. I heard on a podcast once that you could stick your bare arm into a 55gal drum of water and stir for a few seconds.
That the organic material on your skin would be enough to neutralize regular tap water. That's why there is so much chlorine added to swimming pools, because of the numerous bodies.
I have no idea if this is true.
I also heard that when making a compost tea, that there is no reason to aerate the tap water before hand. That the compost itself will neutralize the small amount of chlorine in tap water.
Then aerate as usual.

I'm on a spring water system so cannot verify first hand.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
gmanwho said:
sometimes the leaves may produce small pin size spotting if the leaves absorbed the bleach as calcium. when the calcium hypochlorite is absorbed it gets absorbed as calcium an then evaporates in the leaf cell. causing cell damage an producing small pin size rust colored spots.

This would be what I'm seeing. The issues is damaged tissue means loss of photosynthesis = loss of quality and yield. I'm not sure that stirring in a bit of soil would do anything different than letting the soil buffer. I didn't have an issue last round. It's something I worried might compound with time. Happening faster than expected.

There are days when I can tell the city has treated because the water out of the facet smells like a community swimming pool. Usually takes 3 days to soften again to normal, undrinkable levels.

They used to sell chlorine/sediment filters for garden hoses but now I can't find those anymore. Used those pre-RO.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
Frank why not just make a activated charcoal filter out of pvc, window screen, activated charcoal and some couplers. no need for reverse osmosis unless you have impurities you need out.

genetic freaked

Veteran
I’ve been wondering this myself since I’m deciding on if I want to go organic or stay coco.
Being in a city is an RO unit better to have then not?
Or should all water be filtered like stated above?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Vitamin C can be used to remove chlorine/chloramine also, 1000mg is recomended to treat 40-50 gallons of water. I learned about this looking into my local water company's water treatment program.

Genetic freaked RO just adds more control since the plants are only receiving what you give them. If the tap hasnt given you problems in the past id focus more on just removing the chlorine/chloramine.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@American Grower - I'll research it. Not a bad idea. Do you know of a way to basically column rinse ad clean for reuse old filter carbon?

@Genetic Freaked - as a rule of thumb, I say RO always, becuse it eliminates a variable and increases control.

@Ibechillin - Interesting. So...citric acid?

I had to prune a leaf and reach around the Sis x P, well, through.

I get the lucky charms smell now. Great description. Smells like the dusty cereal component of it. However, if this plant were a cereal, it be called, Chem O's. This plant smells like the type of cannabis I enjoy. Pale green flowers with a sliver sheen of trichs. Really looking forward to smoking this plant. It's an more sativa leaning OG flower with some gnarly chem notes softened ever so subtly so that instead of being out right offensive, it's alluring and distinctive.

Can't wait to smoke this plant. Going to be a super unique Chem/OG.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So 2.5g of Sodium Ascorbate per 5 gallons of water. Got it! Thanks for that simple, noise free solution. I'll be looking at filtering options as well. :respect:

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
@American Grower - I'll research it. Not a bad idea. Do you know of a way to basically column rinse ad clean for reuse old filter carbon?

dank.Frank

I use well water so I don't use any filter. My only excessive impurity is iron which doesn't seem to bother them.
I see no reason rinsing charcoal from a filter wouldn't work as longer as the charcoal is still good. You rinse new charcoal before using anyway.

Thanks for the great info IB.

Latest posts

Latest posts