What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pinch/supercrop to slow the stretch Frank would be what id do

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I'll be good. I've got a bit more room to raise the lights and they are slowing. I've let them stretch, I kept moving the lights up because the stack was bulging - meaning, the light was preventing growth. I'll take a picture of this later tonight.

I'd like to NOT super crop this time, but you're right, it is an option. The 12wk side came together very nicely and is still slowly getting taller. It will continue to stack, I'm sure, but the plant stretches while building buds. It's rather nice, actually. She's building some great colas, all in the 8" + range right now. I expect they will be 12-13", if not more, when said and done.

The Sis/PK - is looking like it will have little tiny glistening OG buds that smell like loud funyuns. She's putting on resin a bit slower than the other plants, but her trichome field density is going to be up there. She's going to be a pretty gnarly Chem Kush for sure. I'm excited to see her fill in. I think she's going to be a looker at this point. More lankiness in the flowers as opposed to the chunkier sis structure I was expecting.

The big colas are great, but if they rot on me there is no point in letting things stack like this. I'm getting a small circulation fan in there today as well.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Americangrower

Veteran
I snipped...52 branches out of the canopy from the 8 plants.

I opened the door a couple minutes before lights on and noticed the FIRST fading leaf. The canopy is thick enough, it's shading light. I've been looking at things the last couple of days wondering where the next cut off was going to be.

They haven't actually...stopped stretching yet. F'ing beasts.

I'm looking at the canopy...dismayed. I'm hearing the pecking of my fingers across several dozen of IC posts - as I consider "defoliation" - because the shading is heavy and the stretch has been wow and the lights don't penetrate deep.

So I start looking at that 16" range. I start focusing in on - pistils and resin or not - thin stems, that just aren't carrying anything but larf later. I folded down 3 or 4 four of those such branches and saw where they were sitting within the canopy. After focusing on those, and taking a step back, I could see I was making some progress. Light was hitting places it wasn't before.

The end result was me culling 52 branches, creating a new, higher canopy, that really didn't disturb the bread and butter, but has allowed WAY more light into the areas it is needed.

I didn't need to start stripping leaves. I didn't need to "defoliate". I needed proper canopy management.

This is going to get interesting. Redwood forest interesting. :joint:

dank.Frank

I strip them all the time, defoliating is no prob. Though keeping count of how many snips could be a problem:biggrin:

nickman

Veteran
Things are sounding like they’re coming together nicely over there.

I’m kinda having the same problem with the light not penetrating far enough into the canopy as I would like it to. I HAVE been running my lights at 50% because of the heat issues and I know that this is causing the problem.

Those zkittles x sour bx sound like they’re gonna be terpy...!!!...
:tiphat:...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Americangrower - I'm fundamentally against it as a practice. The leaves are the bioreactors for the plant. They absorb light which fuels every other process. Put a plant in perfect soil, but without light it dies. They need their leaves.

I have quite a few new growers following along with this thread as well. Tends to happen when you start the thread with a cut and paste soil recipe. I'm counting things like that to encourage others not to worry about being what may be considered "aggressive" with the plants. Don't worry about snipping off parts that are flowering or budding.

The only thing that ultimately matters at this stage in the growth management cycle - is making sure everything growing and producing is within the sweet spot of the light. Canopy management.

It's not such a big concern with larger wattage bulbs. I didn't stress this so much before when running 1k. With these small 315w lamps though, if you don't want larf, you need to get it out of the way. IT WILL NOT FILL OUT. However, if it has a decent stem for nutrient transport and it is in the sweet spot of the lights, I'm very impressed with the quality of the flowers.

@nickman - I told Karma I couldn't test unless it was something that stood a chance at IC 2020. I only have one more run before the entry has to be grown! He suggested the zkittles x as having a competitive chance, so, I'm going to give it ago. I'm really doubting it though, given I'm a potency is king sort of smoker, but I trust KG.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

(S)eismic

Good luck on the Zskittle mix frank. I've smoked a lot of Zskittle and mixes with it, and they definitely got the taste down, unfortunately though the potency seems to seriously lack with it. I'm hoping you'll find a pheno to break the mold.

nickman

Veteran
Good luck on the Zskittle mix frank. I've smoked a lot of Zskittle and mixes with it, and they definitely got the taste down, unfortunately though the potency seems to seriously lack with it. I'm hoping you'll find a pheno to break the mold.

What is it with all these newer crosses coming out that are all about terps and no Potency...!!!...

Hopefully the Sour in there will kick it up a notch...!!!...

G

@nickman - I told Karma I couldn't test unless it was something that stood a chance at IC 2020. I only have one more run before the entry has to be grown! He suggested the zkittles x as having a competitive chance, so, I'm going to give it ago. I'm really doubting it though, given I'm a potency is king sort of smoker, but I trust KG.

dank.Frank

election campaign dankFranks race to the Greenhouse 2020. Grow hard frank.

Ive defo'd pretty hard but leaving more on last couple runs, with the idea that anything that i remove must expose same amount of leaf surface or more>

Why are you not supercropping?

Now if you got potency + terps now dats the shit.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I supper cropped the plants before the net went on, instead of topping, before they went into flower, twice. I do think I'm good though with the stretch. They are beginning to lean towards the light, which means they aren't growing any taller.

I'd prefer not to again late in flower because I think it stresses them out. My one cola self seeded a bit last round when I bent her late. ;)

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
I supper cropped the plants before the net went on, instead of topping, before they went into flower, twice. I do think I'm good though with the stretch. They are beginning to lean towards the light, which means they aren't growing any taller.

I'd prefer not to again late in flower because I think it stresses them out. My one cola self seeded a bit last round when I bent her late. ;)

dank.Frank

I don't like to supercrop, I just spread them since I use bamboo. I can see your point on removing leaves since you are soil and water only. Myself I use biobizz bloom and topmax. So removing big leaves to let 600 watters get at lowers is a must do. I can give them what they need as long as they still have enough small leaves for plant transpiration.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Seeing as the current trend is fruity strains, maybe some Digiberry for 2020 cup? I can only imagine the quality of some Blue grown by your green hands!

This is not a knock at all just stating experience. I have not found anything from Karma I would grow again. Just not my cup of tea.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 29 - Things are starting to fill in. They look a week behind to me, but oh well. They certainly stretched. LOL.

picture.php

Cobalt Haze #2 on this side. She's growing still. SLOWLY stretching while she starts to stack. There are more flowers there than it looks. I counted roughly 5-6 big colas forming on each of the 4 plants. I think a lb might be possible in this screen, but already, I'm thinking it's looking more like 12-14. Time will tell. I might peek out this run at 1.5. That 2# mark is going to take a special plant and mono-cropping.

picture.php

SIS/PK - growing like a gnarly OG, but smelling like a bag of funyuns. This pic was edited a bit to make it appear more like some of the old school OG photos that Jetlife has been posting. I wanted to see if I couldn't get that old grainy look with slightly washed out color from a flash - that was pretty standard on old 35mm kodak disposables - because you didn't take weed pics on a normal camera. Just in case.

Regardless. I'm really loving the look of this girl. Not at all what I was expecting. There is some Chem Sis in there some where - but this girl is looking like, well...pure kush. Go figure.

picture.php

dank.Frank

Prodigygrower

Veteran
Looking good broski!! I can’t wait to see them in a few weeks. Looks like the reamending of the bed is going smooth. I’m worried about this with my own grow I’m a week out of 12/12 now they are in 5gal pots. I guess what I’m wondering being not in a bed if I reamend mix everything up then re plant in the 5gal pots will I be as successful. Seeing with a bed everything is in one big container and can blend together. With the single pots I’m worried about not having a equal blend in each pot. If that makes sense? Anyway props my friend things are looking bomb.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get yourself a plastic kiddie pool. It's life changing. Break up your root balls in the pool, mix your amendments, refill your bags. I find that I lose some soil volume over time for whatever reason and tend to add fresh compost and more worm castings to compensate.

When I was using pots - I always had two batches of soil in rotation. One was always the recycle round, that had just been amended. I'd leave it in the kiddie pool. Always enough for both veg and flower cycles, since it's the same mix regardless.

dank.Frank

Prodigygrower

Veteran
That’s what I planned to do I just mix it in a tarp then put it in the big 90 gal totes the kiddy pool does sound like it would be easier more contained. I still have 30 or 40 gallons left to get me through veg for the next round. I’ll just add some more worm castings mix let sit for a week or so and go. I’ll deff mix another batch to make things go smoother. Thanks for the advice bud.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get yourself a plastic kiddie pool. It's life changing. Break up your root balls in the pool, mix your amendments, refill your bags. I find that I lose some soil volume over time for whatever reason and tend to add fresh compost and more worm castings to compensate.

When I was using pots - I always had two batches of soil in rotation. One was always the recycle round, that had just been amended. I'd leave it in the kiddie pool. Always enough for both veg and flower cycles, since it's the same mix regardless.

dank.Frank
I tried using a kiddie pool. It was too small and a pain in the posterior to store.

I ended up going to home depot and having them cut down a sheet of plywood into 4 12" strips, screwed them together to make a 8'x8'x 12"deep frame, and laid a heavy duty tarp down to make a bin to contain the mess.

When I'm done with it, I fold up the tarp, unscrew the frame, and store it in the garage out of the way.

Latest posts

Latest posts