What's new

Dinnertime on IC (depending on your time zone)

Yummybud

Veteran
you know what else is good for a quick snack.... dipping sourdoe bread in olive oil mixed with red wine vinegar (I think), it's pretty damn good for a snack....

actually about meat, the other day I was eating this big piece of steak and it was really good and as I was getting full I started thinking about how I'm chewing on a dead cow carcass and then the taste of meat started to make me feel a little sick.

just psychological though. i stopped drinking milk for a month also because once when drinking milk I thought about how it was weird that I'm drinking the fluids of a cow. I think too much when I'm stoned......

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
Yummybud said:
the other day I was eating this big piece of steak and it was really good and as I was getting full I started thinking about how I'm chewing on a dead cow carcass and then the taste of meat started to make me feel a little sick.

just psychological though. i stopped drinking milk for a month also because once when drinking milk I thought about how it was weird that I'm drinking the fluids of a cow. I think too much when I'm stoned......

"yummy" dont get stoned when/if you ever are about to get laid then.....your gonna talk yourself out of it :pointlaug

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
started the evening off with some left over fettuccine alfredo, moved on to some spaghetti with some from scratch sauce with LOTS of fresh sauted mushrooms and a healthy portion of cheese to boot. have a few baked potatoes goin in the oven for a later meal tonight.

all you fast food junkies, just dont know what your missin out on :D

Hope you all enjoyed your meals, Dime

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
I enjoy lobster and crab, but the taste comes mostly from the butter. Otherwise, there isn't much taste. Tonight I went to my daughter's house and took a spiral-sliced ham that we baked with pineapple and brown sugar glaze. We also had green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and croissants. I now have leftovers for about a week. Even though we invited the manager of our hydro store, three people can't eat a 10 lb. ham. I sent some home with the manager(he is hot for my daughter and gives us good deals), gave some to my daughter and still have enough for half a dozen sandwiches and a big pot of ham, beans and fresh cornbread.

NserUame

Pops, I knew you were dirty. But to whore out your daughter like that... I didn't know you were brilliant too.

Either way, it's now 3 in the morning and I'm chomping down a bowl of rice. Rice is an essential staple in my diet, it's easy to make, infinite styles, and it's dirt cheap.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
yummy if you can muster the ability i recommend hittin the lobster or swordfish steak even. lobster is like shrimp in texture and a bit like crab in taste slightly sweet dependin on cold water vs warm water. get a lobster tail for that experience or the swordfish steak especially if you enjoyed your salmon.

gmb i think your right i remember seein a guy this week with ash on his head. its been a long time since ive observed any of that whatnot.

Last edited:

Yummybud

Veteran
well I thought lobster must be good because it's so expensive. I'm going to try it sometime soon, but I'll probably get them too cook it for me, not live. I don't like killing a lobster even though it looks like a freak alien bug, it just seems evil dropping something live in boiling water.

I'll probably end up making it my pet like Homer Simpson.

G

Tonight it's going to be "One chicken stew" which came belive it or not ,out of the Marlboro cookbook.It is has become our favorite stew dish.The wife's always delighted to hear I'm making it.

G

I will be enjoying some pan-seared jumbo scallops, bar-b-q shrimp, asparagus and sauteed squash. This will all be followed by some Grapefruit buds. :D

M

Mr. Nevermind

Yummybud said:
well I thought lobster must be good because it's so expensive. I'm going to try it sometime soon, but I'll probably get them too cook it for me, not live. I don't like killing a lobster even though it looks like a freak alien bug, it just seems evil dropping something live in boiling water.

I'll probably end up making it my pet like Homer Simpson.

Buy the lobster live. When you get home put the lobster in the fridge. The cold of the fridge puts lobsters basically to sleep . They wont even move. Once you have pot of water boiling remove lobster from friedge and quickly drop it in water and cover with lid . In less than 10 seconds its dead and was passed out for the whole thing anyway. Thats about the nicest way to kill em

When i make stuffed lobster its pretty gruesome. You have to cut the live lobster in half longways right down the middle while alive and thats not to much fun to do.

Lobster is good but if cooked wrong sucks!!! Funny thing about lobsters, they are very expensive now but a long time ago it wasnt that way. Fishermen had to eat lobsters all the time and actually hated them after time but they were so cheap then it was a fast cheap meal to em. But the fishermen after time hated lobsters. Old dudes in new england still feel that way.

Nevermind

diggle

I'm not sure how dropping a lobster into boiling water is any more or less cruel than hanging a cow upside down and slitting it's throat?
If you want to eat meat, stuff has to die....
Remember, Homer only kept "pinchy" long enough for him to fatten up real huge...THEN he ate him.

NserUame

You couldn't be more right about New England. When I was a kid my family used to go to Maine occasionally during the summers. My mother would insist on going out for seafood at least one night we were there. The whole time my father would bitch about dropping $12 on a 'God damn water bug, they breed like rabbits'. His hatred of Lobsters transferred over to me, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 25 dollars for a giant bug.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Maistre said:
Lime grilled salmon with a little lemon-garlic butter sauce.

Butter lettuce and radicchio salad with roma tomatoes... sweet yellow onion... sliced zucchini... caramelized walnuts... tossed with a sweet italian dressing.

bon appetite!
Oh my god, that sounds so damn good! Too bad I'm the only one in this house that likes salmon, I'd be cooking it every day if I could :badday:

Northern_Greens said:
if you EVER have anyquestions concerning Italian food just p.m. me. i'm learning from this little old italian lady who knows everything...ask wolf he'll agree that its a genetic thing lol
Yeah, he says it's a genetic thing, lol. Wolf doesn't exactly cook pure Italian foods, it's kind of a mix of Italian, Creole & Southern/Country cooking....Although, it does make for some pretty damn good meals :D

Well, the Gnocchi couldn't have been too bad, he inhaled it pretty quick! During that brief pause between mouthfuls, I heard, "Wow, this really takes me back!" I couldn't find anything to use for sauce ingrediants---Sauces can't be milk or cream-based, Wolf can't have that. We don't have anything for reds, so a red sauce was out of the question. Therefore, I improvised, and cracked open a can of chili dog sauce :biglaugh:
We both agreed it tasted a lot like ravioli. It was pretty damn good, one bowl & we were stuffed, Wolf wasn't kidding when he said it was a very filling "comfort meal". He did mention the Gnocchi itself would be a thumbs-up at an Italian dinner table, but said, "They'd smack you upside the head for using chili dog sauce!" Lol, oh well, you use what ya got on hand :D

Just for clarification, due to a couple of varieties of Gnocchi out there, I made the "potato dough" Gnocchi, if anyone's familiar with it.

We did have a longwinded discussion about Italian dinner table rules, which lead to his grandma's table rules. I found it pretty funny, so here's a few he mentioned:

"When you go to dinner at my grandma's, expect to be there for at least 2 hours. And don't make any excuses to try to leave early, because they won't work. And she'll get pissed. You don't want to make her mad, trust me."

"Don't swear at my grandma's table.....She will smack you for it."

"Don't insult or make fun of anyone while at grandma's table.....She'll smack you for it."

"Don't refuse a glass of wine from grandma, that's an insult."

"Don't refuse finger food from grandma, even if it's 5 minutes before dinner. That's another insult."

"If you're in the kitchen with grandma, don't sample anything before it's ready, or you'll be seeing stars."

"No matter how many people are at the table, when grandma speaks, SHUT THE FUCK UP, or she'll smack all of ya! When grandma speaks, she's the only one speaking until she's done. In grandma's words, she's the matriarch, she will lead this family to hell and back, and you will respect her."

"If grandma starts speaking in Italian, you've managed to piss her off. Congradulations!"

Wolf swears anyone on here with a traditional Italian family can relate to any of that :biglaugh:

Yummybud

Veteran
I did a search on google and it's funny there are so many websites on how to humanely kill a lobster and so many people argue about it. From what I heard the best way to kill it is to cut it's head in half.

I don't feel bad about squishing spiders so lobster is basicly the same thing just bigger. crabs and lobsters are the closest relatives to bugs.

best way to humanely kill a lobester is by taking a very sharp and thin knife and jamming it in the back of its skull... I know it sounds kind of sadistic and morbid, but if you do it right you literally sever the brain from the brain stem and its an anlmost instantanious/painless death... funny that no one else has mentioned that they do scream.

Niki lol yea i would be more scared of a little old italian lady than a big gangster with a gun anyday. but you and wolf are right it definitally is a matriarchal thing in traditional italian families. Personally i myself am not italian, family history is mainly from that dirty stinkin little island just off the cost of the rest of europe...you know the one that started fucking the world up, lol. i do have another question tho.. is it cappucino or espresso or a coffe like drink that your not "supposed" to drink after 1030 or 11 in the morning??

NOKUY

Veteran
lobster is good, but it's not half as good as king crab legs (which is what I'm eating for dinner tonight)

VictoryGardener

holy hell
tonight.... I might make a pizza on my pizza stone... some buffalo mozerella, tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil, lots of parmesan.. margherita pizza I guess.. its gonna be good though

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Yukon, you are right. The King crab is great. Big problem is that too many restaurants overcook it or put it on a heated bar that turns the meat into thin tough little strips.

We used to go crabbing off the Oregon coast and cook them in a big pot right on the beach. When done, rip the shell off, run them under some water to clean the guts out and dip the meat in melted butter. It was great. Very rich food, though. I could only eat a couple.