What's new

DigiBerryHaze F1 - Original Haze x Digital Berry bx1

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
quick update on the DBH f2. so its been 8 days since last post and the plants are getting bigger. i took them out to add a pinch of alfalfa, some ewc and fresh compost to keep them going for the next few weeks before they go into half gallon containers and some mild training. The #3 group is on the left and has a runt in the mix. The #4 group is growing nicely...

20230504_200045.jpg
20230504_200027.jpg
20230504_200011.jpg

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
a little update about 2 weeks since last post. In the last week they caught on and started growing vigorously really going through my mild soil mix. i top dressed a few days back but they really need the extra root space so I up potted today. I cut them back aggressively except for the runt which by the looks of the thin stem and slow growth would suffer from the hard prune. The plant3 f2's have a bit more variation compared to the plant4 f2's. There are a couple of stretchy plant in both sets but the plant4 f2's seem more structurally uniform. The plant4 set has overall better root mass which i observed when repotting. The runt plant had very poor root development...i may cull it if i dont notice significant growth in the next couple weeks while I wait for sex to show.

20230518_180931.jpg
20230517_075308.jpg

before repot and prune

20230518_192759.jpg
20230518_181040.jpg

afterwards. the runt is top left. the 4 on the left are plant3 f2's and the ones on the right are the plant4 set. you can see some yellowing in the lower leaves...they were hungry.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the DBH F1 plant 4 that @Jahaze is growing 4 of the seeds from . Recently topped and vegging up to flower. This was possibly my favorite and i messed with the clones but was lucky that i managed to keep this one for another run.
DBH4veg.jpg

VG

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
Update on the DBH f2s: I am awaiting sex on all plants before I post pictures of the plants that will be flowered. So far only one plant has shown sex ( male) and was culled from the plant #3 population. The rest are growing nicely and have responded well to the training. I am noticing some differences now with a few stretchy plants and a couple that have tighter node space and somewhat stout with thicker stems. I hope one is a female. Those two plants have a strong burnt rubber odor and darker leaves atm. The stretchy plants are vigorous and lateral branching has been uneven because they are growing so fast the plant focuses the energy on branches getting the strongest light. Will have to tame them in the next couple weeks before the flip...more to come soon.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds good @Jahaze - i'm pleased you are getting some burnt rubber..hopefully that will mix well with the haze funk. that smell came through more strongly in F2s of BlueDigiBerry too... and the way it smells in veg is so distinctive (reminiscent of Chem genetics although i doubt it is related). fingers crossed for some girls !
VG

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
here are the remaining 6 plants of the DBH f2's. the plants have been growing vigorously for the last week since the hard prune. took advantage and top dress with fresh compost and some alfalfa. the plant3 f2's are down to 2 and i still have the 4 f2's from plant4 that have been sloer to show sex but I'm starting to see development so any day now I'll know how many will be re-potted before flowering. the plant4 set have thicker stems and stronger branches when compared to the remaining plant3 f2's. its still to early to tell but the plant4 group seems to have more wide leaf traits and may resemble the digiberry side a little more. The f2 pictures below: plant3 are the 2 on the left and plant4 are the 4 on the right.

20230613_095154.jpg
20230613_102402.jpg

Plant4 group.
20230613_102657.jpg
20230613_102714.jpg

plant3 group
20230613_102728.jpg
20230613_102742.jpg

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
plant3 f2's. this group as the most hazy representative of all remaining plants at this point. although the leaves are a bit wider the plant quickly throws new growth and the stems are easier to bend and recover. This plant will no doubt be the 1st one into the flower chamber due to its growth rate and i have a feeling it leans toward the narrow leaf side. The second plant in the plant3 group is my favorite off the remaining plants. it has a sticky stem with a pungent sweet skunky berry smell, the smelliest by a wide margin. Sadly I think this a male plant. It has good strong form and very good growth...I may still keep it and collect pollen.

20230613_103130.jpg

Hazy plant

20230613_103054.jpg

sticky berry plant

plant4 plants have a good mix of growth and structure with overall bigger plants than the plant3 group. A couple have a skunky burnt rubber smell with stem rub along with some mild sweetness. they feel more wide leaf overall but with good vigor. Better and tighter population of the 2 groups. below in no particular order:

20230613_102924.jpg
20230613_102947.jpg
20230613_103005.jpg
20230613_103024.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent @Jahaze they really look ready to rock! lets hope you get a few girls.
I agree the '3' skunkyberry plant you think is a male looks pretty distinctive. one thing i notice about it is that the gaps between the veins on the leaflets is huge.. and nice even node spacing especially if it is a male.
VG :tiphat:

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
they really look ready to rock! lets hope you get a few girls.
Yes tomorrow will be 8 weeks to the day these broke ground and only 2 plants have shown a definite sex. I think the plant#4 group has at least tree females but I really can't be certain yet. These girls are shy I guess. The variegated plant and the hazy one from the #3 population I believe to be females but not 100% sure yet so more waiting. I may have to cut back a bit just to maintain an even canopy so these may look somewhat uneven in growth. Stem rubs on at least 4 have a berry smell and the leaves have a skunky rubber thing going. My dog had an upset tummy and she went right to eating the leaves when I had them out to water and inspect. She's likes the aromatic plants so that's a a good sign.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow @Jahaze you let all your plants reach maturity in veg to sex them ? - that's impressive!
I usually have put mine to 12/12 because i don't have the space... which isn't ideal - although i get a few more to show in veg these days because i run 16/8 to reduce the DLI on these modern LED's.
The burnt rubber/skunky veg smell is the same as Chem plants smell in veg (for anyone with experience of that) really interesting how it seems to come out more in the F2s. Sounds like all the digi terps are louder in those F2s.. the F1s were all hazey catspiss primarily, although you may find that comes out more in the flower cycle.
VG

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
Three plants went into flower today. 2 from #4 group and 1 from #3 group. They are in 1.5 gal containers with some room left to top dress as they flower. The medium is recycled soil with feather meal, alfalfa, dolomite, fish bone meal watered and turned frequently for about 2 months. That gets put in with about 1tsp: kelp, 4-4-4, 1tbsp guano, 1/4 ewc with enough perlite to keep fluffy. At about week 4-6 I'll top dress with fresh compost, gypsum and guano if needed. Lets see how they do...

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
Quick update on the DBH plants. Sorry for the lack of picture. I have had to be away from my garden lately and will be traveling so I wont post until the middle of July...sorry. I currently have the original three plants that sexed quickly and added another 2 females bringing the total to 5 of 8. A few of these were really slow to show sex and I must confess there is one that I put into flower that I can't definitively say is a female but had to flip it before it outgrew the container. The Plant 3-2 (sticky berry plant) which I thought was a male may actually be a female but its been 10 weeks and even shorter light periods in hopes of revealing sex has failed. I simply can't tell what it is..going to roll the dice and flower it while I'm away and hope its a girl. The first 3 plants are already producing flower clusters...rather quick response to light change.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks @Jahaze and don't worry about the pics, i know how time consuming it is to take, edit and post pics and sometimes life gets in the way and you only have time to do the basics.. i'm sure we'll get some great pics in good time.
Interesting that the photoperiod response may have segregated, giving some plants that respond quickly and some more slowly.. with luck, 2 weeks won't be long enough for a plant (that hasn't yet shown) to drop pollen if it does turn out to be male !
Given that a couple of the F1s showed intersex traits (and were culled before making seeds) it goes without saying that you should give them all a good look over when you get back... fingers crossed that you don't see any in the F2s but it is something i am slightly worried about.
VG :tiphat: