What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Stoner Thoughts

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
Have you actually experienced whatever you believe firsthand or not?

Most folks don't realize that beliefs are NOT the truth. All beliefs are conceptual in nature, and only represent or point toward something, and are never true in and of themselves.

Our perceptions are all secondary. We never actually perceive what is there. What we are doing is intepreting data transferred to our mind through nerves. Our mind interprets this data, and based on memory provides an image. This concerns everything we perceive through sight, sound, smell, feelings, and even thinking.

weird isn't it?

Galactic

it's honest

ask questions, seek the truth on the self

the search is the dissolution as you attempt to 'define'

for it cannot be defined

simply experienced

be

DoomsDay

^ when was the last time anyone sat down and thought about themselves. their day to day activities, the motions they go through on the regular.

funny to think that us as people, as a society, spend so much time on ourselves to give an image to others around you. we spend time doing hair and makeup, just to hopefully look more appealing to others around. all of this time spent on your image.... for what.... to fit in to an outline given by society. why?

there is your question for tonight. figure out why you yourself go above and beyond to project an image of yourself to the outside society. in which most say they are non conformist yet they woke up that day and prepared themselves as any other in that society. societys image has ahold of us all and there isnt really an answer to why....

like Galactic said.... Be...

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What if C-A-T really spelled DOG?
Ogre.jpg

peace...

peace...

^ when was the last time anyone sat down and thought about themselves. their day to day activities, the motions they go through on the regular...

I do this daily, I review conversations of the day that really stand out, things that I can improve on, errors, an successes. one of my sifus decades ago said this was something that should be done everyday at some point. then one of the homies told me that I had to do it after I got out the habit... said it was something he had read that did something for the plus of the individual that followed through with it... I hvent got out of it he calls me regularly to see what epiphanies I have come across or to drop off one or 2...I definitely approve this message or this part of DoomsDay msg...

southflorida

Veteran
^ when was the last time anyone sat down and thought about themselves. their day to day activities, the motions they go through on the regular.

funny to think that us as people, as a society, spend so much time on ourselves to give an image to others around you. we spend time doing hair and makeup, just to hopefully look more appealing to others around. all of this time spent on your image.... for what.... to fit in to an outline given by society. why?

there is your question for tonight. figure out why you yourself go above and beyond to project an image of yourself to the outside society. in which most say they are non conformist yet they woke up that day and prepared themselves as any other in that society. societys image has ahold of us all and there isnt really an answer to why....

like Galactic said.... Be...

it is called SOCIAL-self-survival, and it is basically all we ever do.

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I have to disagree with a lot of what is being suggested in the last few posts. It only rings true if you look at the whole population as being a stereotype of the average American. We are not though. I for one don't put much thought or effort into "fitting in" or doing what others do. My attitude is I'm going to do what I'm most comfortable with and people will either be okay with that and like me or they won't.

If I drink water it's usually from the tap, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for water when it's still widely available in a free form.

If I live in a house it doesn't have to be in a good neighborhood although that's preferable for obvious reasons, the only thing it has to be is something I can afford and has enough room for me and my family.

If I wear jeans they just need to fit and be reasonably priced and made decently enough to last a few years at a minimum. I could care less about the name of the manufacturer. In fact the more value the name holds like designer names for example, the less likely I want them because odds are they'll cost way too much and not be durable and rugged like jeans were originally designed and meant to be.

If I grow seeds it just has to be for a strain that I like and fits in with my grow space and style.

Not everyone is so dependent on what others think of them.

southflorida

Veteran
I have to disagree with a lot of what is being suggested in the last few posts. It only rings true if you look at the whole population as being a stereotype of the average American. We are not though. I for one don't put much thought or effort into "fitting in" or doing what others do. My attitude is I'm going to do what I'm most comfortable with and people will either be okay with that and like me or they won't.

If I drink water it's usually from the tap, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for water when it's still widely available in a free form.

If I live in a house it doesn't have to be in a good neighborhood although that's preferable for obvious reasons, the only thing it has to be is something I can afford and has enough room for me and my family.

If I wear jeans they just need to fit and be reasonably priced and made decently enough to last a few years at a minimum. I could care less about the name of the manufacturer. In fact the more value the name holds like designer names for example, the less likely I want them because odds are they'll cost way too much and not be durable and rugged like jeans were originally designed and meant to be.

If I grow seeds it just has to be for a strain that I like and fits in with my grow space and style.

Not everyone is so dependent on what others think of them.

There are always exceptions, but as a rule, for the majority, social status, and all things that are associated with this status matter a lot.

And obviously, not everyone is so dependent on what others think of them, but they are still dependent enough to take into account what they do, wear, say, etc.

...at least if they are honest with themselves. :)

Plus, if you observe, you are still dependent on what others think, otherwise you wouldn't have written all those things in your post. You actually want others to think you are NOT like those folks that are chasing social status, you are different from them.

...the truth is you are just as dependent, but use different beliefs and assumptions.

...you were programmed a little different by the culture (people) where you grew up.

...you identify with different concepts, but the structure of your life is the same as everyone else's.

...you are doing everything possible to survive as the self you believe yourself to be.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Isn't the definition of insanity asking the same question over and over and accepting different solutions or something like that. Or rather asking the same question and expecting to get closer to a solution instead of further down the rabbit hole.

Ive never made a bad cup of coffee and anybody who thinks so is free not to drink it.

southflorida

Veteran
Isn't the definition of insanity asking the same question over and over and accepting different solutions or something like that. Or rather asking the same question and expecting to get closer to a solution instead of further down the rabbit hole.

Ive never made a bad cup of coffee and anybody who thinks so is free not to drink it.

I believe the saying is: insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

The interesting thing is I do a lot of the same thing and get different results. What does this mean then? :)

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
sometimes the question is where or when not what, but honestly where and how are my best friends around. Thats the killer is where really, since it determines who, and frankly thats what adds to our expectations and consequently our chosen way of evaluating our earthly works or something

I think if you are into experimenting it can take years to even figure out what it is that you wnat to see. The reality I guess then is that you need a stronger focus of what the end result you seek, that will add to deep wisdom on your part or whatever you seek. When you see where you want to be the path is clearer for me, maybe it will be for you too.

I have had lots of experience which suggest to me that indeed there are times when we live where our self is silent or at least sleeping. There is something which guides you and directs you during that part of our conscious trip too, and that is not the self, so perhaps the self is not even what you are examining.

WelderDan

Veteran
Plain or Peanut? Salty or Sweet? Dig up all the cables and cords for the electric guitar, or just grab the acoustic? Will Yellowstone erupt and blanket the continent in several feet of ash? Can I make a pipe/bong out of this?

Alternatively: Will this make a good pipe/bong? If society collapsed today, do I have enough supplies and ammo? What about Aliens? Shoot 'em, or offer 'em a toke?

Galactic

The interesting thing is I do a lot of the same thing and get different results. What does this mean then? :)

i observe 2 types of things in the world in my lifelong struggle/study of causality(or the illusion of). A, then B, must be C next...

1)things that are true all the time, situation-independent, unconditional

2)things that are true some of time, situation-dependent, conditionally... therefore false/illusory

the human experience of suffering is because we are primarily concerned with things of the 2nd category. they dictate our style of communication, dress, favorite foods, colors, dislikes, whether you get mad when its your spouse vs best friend, etc.

the majority of choices we make, if we are honest, are quite arbitrary. it's only our egos who take offense to this lol, "me? make arbitrary choices on illusory decisions? i'm important, i'm unique, insert next opinon here [(2)things that are true some of time, situation-dependent, conditionally... therefore false/illusory]

the ego does all the talking all the doing. and for some reason, the Greater Beings that we all are underneath takes the backseat from the being.

what are the things true all the time?

-there is only the present moment: the past only exists in our minds when we bring our attention to a particular moment. it is an illusion to believe it exists. the word is illusory. there is only the present moment. and each second, there continues to be a new present moment. We do not move forward, backwards, up, down, we simply ARE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT. Forget the words past and future. Language is simply how us limited humans meekly attempt to communicate and 'hold the same ideas'. words are simply desciribers/anchors to a larger underlying 'thing' two parties are communicating on. even time itself is illusory. it should be understood to be closer to simply a tool of reference when we are communication about different 'present moments'

-love is the creation force: all things truly are possible. only with love will you give without necessarily receiving back equal (quite unconditional:)). say to a girlfriend or spouse or child. its a giving action. not taking away from the situation. not I will mow you lawn if you give me $20. that is give and take, zero sum, we both win we both lose. it's conditional and therefore illusory. the unconditional i mentioned, pure love, is real. Love is true. when you show love, you create/build something. on all levels, the physical, mental, spiritual. you make friends, you make days, you can even CREATE LIFE. science is way behind what each human is somehow inherently capable of... We can create intelligent design because we are the blueprint of intelligent design

-the individual sense of separateness from the whole is the source of all 'suffering' : can you look past the illusion of suffering and entertain the idea that it is love? aren't lessons which increase your overall experience(remember, it being good or bad is an opinion) and understanding as loving a gift as one could receive? that aside, an individual who truly believe he is a separate, unique entity from the whole of every other person acts accordingly. its dog eat dog now. we go out there and we sometimes wrong others but 'its ok' because that guy is not my friend or family, etc. if i hurt him it doesn't hurt me, and 'you gotta do what you gotta do' lol.

separateness is the germinator of "taking more than receiving in return" AKA the opposite of love AKA a destructive force... and where there is descruction old structures may have a chance to burn and new built in the present... because you can also only build with LOVE :)

i understand im all over the place for 'normal' audiences but i hope the intent is clear. maybe don't 'focus' too much and just 'gaze' when you read this thing.

i love you all and appreciate you

southflorida

Veteran
@galactic. Excellent posts. Enjoyed reading it.

Being takes a back seat because the false egoic self has built a large snowball of concepts (beliefs, convictions, assumptions) and all attention (perception) is then focused on defending these ideas. Basically, the self-mind (ego) is a survival mechanism and a tool. It is not bad or good in itself, it simply is what it is.

Confusing out true-self (real-self, Being, Consciousness) with this mechanism is what sends us down the slope where we are doing everything to survive as this false-conceptual-self, while continuing to promote, create, and defend this self with all our might.

What is interesting and a paradox, is that Being is the self, even the false-egoic-self, since Being (Consciousness) is one structure, and all the elements inside of it (all distinctions) are also it.

These distinctions are distinct (different) from each other, but they are not separate.

By the way, what is amazing is that Being (Consciousness) in its awareness creates this illusional (virtual) reality through making distinctions. This is how it pulls off this experience. By breaking itself up into a very large number of distinctions and then forcing these distinctions to interact with each other, it evolves itself.

That's what loves is. The mutually beneficial interaction and cooperation between sentient beings, which are obviously also distinctions.

And that is what I have also become aware of, that the false-egoic-self is trapped in the past/future illusion and because it feels separated and isolated it suffers and struggles as it tries to survive as something that it is not. It's survival is based on an illusion.

By focusing on what is (instead of what is not) and by being happy regardless of what we experience at the present moment, even if it is not what we want or like, we can slowly detach and de-identify from all the false beliefs and concepts and eventually exist as something that we are, instead of something that we are not.

This leads us toward Being in the Present Moment, and toward Being Love.