What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damaged plants from Broad ,cyclamen,Russet Mites

Rakosnicek

Veteran
my 1st and only BM infestation(lasted 2yrs) hit me in nov 2010
sept-oct 2010 I has white fly prob that i dealt with using Volck oil.
white flies are a known vector for these vermin.
i didn't even know what i was dealing with for 1-1/2yrs.
I lost countless crops and $$investment.
I lost hard earned hard to aquire keepers.
killing them on the plants(veg) is the easy part ime.
if your in flower it's a diff. story.
when i found out It was BMs i was dealing with they were DOA as soon as my avid/forbid arrived
BUT
they kept coming back for over 6months.
until i shut everything down and went nuclear in the grow room
have i been completely BM free.
I sprayed the walls with forbid4ft up.
drenched the cracks and crevasses in the base boards,i
bombed the room with Pylon TR and the gas type bug bombs.
did the heat treatment for 4-5 hrs at a time.
there was carpet under the plastic so I sprayed iso alcohol and put the plastic back down tite
so the fumes killed any live bugs.
I did this for 2wks
i can say Ive been BM free 2yrs this coming march.

you have to be progressive with these things.
keep your scope handy and use it often,
especially if you have a white fly prob
View Image

ouuu that sounds very bad :frown:

but now it does make sense... this summer i had chilli peppers and tomatoes on my balcony.. and there were white flies, a lot of them :frown:
i also noticed some strange cork-like damage on stems and flowers of that peppers...

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
sounds like that was it.
WFs and BMs seem to have some sort of symbiotic relation ship
given WFs let em hitch a ride.
SOOOOoooo
makes me wonder it's a given this happens with other bugs.
BMs are so tiny they could easily *get a ride* with other bugs

RetroGrow

Veteran
Gnome, you are an honorary member of the broad mite club. A dubious distinction, but distinction nonetheless. :)

the gnome

Veteran
Thanks You Sir RetroGrow...
opf course I was on the 1st floor when this spawn of satan erupted in my garden.
dubious no doubt but Gnome's take it any way they can get it :tiphat:

mtntrogger

Veteran
my 1st and only BM infestation(lasted 2yrs) hit me in nov 2010
sept-oct 2010 I has white fly prob that i dealt with using Volck oil.
white flies are a known vector for these vermin.
i didn't even know what i was dealing with for 1-1/2yrs.
I lost countless crops and $$investment.
I lost hard earned hard to aquire keepers.
killing them on the plants(veg) is the easy part ime.
if your in flower it's a diff. story.
when i found out It was BMs i was dealing with they were DOA as soon as my avid/forbid arrived
BUT
they kept coming back for over 6months.
until i shut everything down and went nuclear in the grow room
have i been completely BM free.
I sprayed the walls with forbid4ft up.
drenched the cracks and crevasses in the base boards,i
bombed the room with Pylon TR and the gas type bug bombs.
did the heat treatment for 4-5 hrs at a time.
there was carpet under the plastic so I sprayed iso alcohol and put the plastic back down tite
so the fumes killed any live bugs.
I did this for 2wks
i can say Ive been BM free 2yrs this coming march.

you have to be progressive with these things.
keep your scope handy and use it often,
especially if you have a white fly prob
View Image

Good lord gnome ! Forbid 4 ft up the walls ! Two weeks of ...just the heat treatments or ....the heat and sprays,bombs ISO on carpet. ? Congrats on winning man

the gnome

Veteran
ha! this is a blast from the past...... i'd rather forget
thanks mtn :)

actually I have been BM free until my last bloom run aug-sept
and again, it was preceded by a whitefly prob in late veg.
i was 2wks into bloom and i did the heat treatment, got a bit carried away and temps
maxed out around 130ish
lol, the tops the BMs didn't damage i seared

mtntrogger

Veteran
How did that treatment work for you man. Other than burning a few tops... Did you later them again with the heat ?

Veterangrow

I want to start off by saying in no way am I an expert.

If you want to kill russet mites or control their population down to less then 10% I would recommend this form of treatment. It is organic and I have used it on two grows now dealing with these bastards.

It is important to ph your solution after mixing to 5.8 to 6.0. A major boost in kill would be to add ice to your solution. Russet mites hate extreme cold or heat. You will not see a difference until about day 2 or 3. They,will not be moving or act very very eradic.

Day 1

60 MLS a gallon of Big time Exterminator. Be carefully that it's not the new formula which is 3X more powerful

Day 2

60 ml of big time exterminator

Day 3

Either mycotrol or botanigard at 10 MLS a gallon. Mycotrol is OMRI CERT. botanigard is not but they are the same solution from the same company.

Day 4

Nothing. Plant recovery

Day 5

Big time exterminator 60 ml a gallon

Day 6

Mycotrol or botanigard at 10 MLS agallon.

AFTER DAY SIX SPRAY EVERY OTHER DAY FOR A WEEK. AFTER THAT ONCE EVER 3 DAYS ALTERNATE BOTH PRODUCTS
I hope this helps anyone who tries it

RetroGrow

Veteran
ha! this is a blast from the past...... i'd rather forget
thanks mtn :)

actually I have been BM free until my last bloom run aug-sept
and again, it was preceded by a whitefly prob in late veg.
i was 2wks into bloom and i did the heat treatment, got a bit carried away and temps
maxed out around 130ish
lol, the tops the BMs didn't damage i seared

Ten degrees too high.....:)
Only need 120F in flower, for no more than an hour...other wise the terpenes evaporate off...although 2 weeks in shouldn't matter. Buds aren't developed enough.

Bughunter64

I am long time seller of biological pest controls and I am building a new web site to include bio controls for growing grass and wanted to know if I could use your Broad Mite plant damage photos?

Chris

Aksala

I am long time seller of biological pest controls and I am building a new web site to include bio controls for growing grass and wanted to know if I could use your Broad Mite plant damage photos?

Chris

That's when you know your plants looked fucked up...when someone wants to use them as an example of what BM's can do lol.

Thats for sure bm damage and can happen in a matter of days in warm conditions. I just lost 4 plants and a few others look like shit. I hate using pylon but it's the only thing that keeps them at bay for like 2wks.

Tiffany2180

Russet mites

Russet mites

I'm trying to figure out if I have them or not. I have scoped the underside of leaves and see egg like things that are clear to a Milkey color, but no bugs. I have sprayed the bad stuff a few times, but no big improvement. So I'm stumped we have been told that russets are hard to find and that they hide during the day cycle. With the "egg" content on the back of the leaves I would think we would have seen them by now. It's been about a month and a half the ladies have been looking sick. And I'm still in veg. Here are a couple of pics of two different girls. Any ideas what could be going on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 27

mtntrogger

Veteran
Been wondering if my fresh start garden (from seed) has been under attack from some type of evil. Have been scoping regularly, STILL havent found anything that moves, but noticed some stippling today (day after heat treating to 112 for 3 hours). Here is what I found on the crappy usb scope at 400 x . Definitely eggs (I think) but not looking like broads or russets , could these be cyclamen eggs ? Please help if you have any idea

Attachments

• 160217135400353794750.jpg
    160217135400353794750.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 160217135511353864984.jpg
    160217135511353864984.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 160217135530353884468.jpg
    160217135530353884468.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 160217135207353681234.jpg
    160217135207353681234.jpg