What's new

DA: We'll Prosecute, No Matter How Council Votes

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
BTW, Prop 215 was written and gotten in play by rogues. Interesting thought though, since Ms Corral's operation was totally illegal before 215 was passed, she was just as much a rogue under the law as Dennis Peron.

That's pretty much true.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Can you make purchases with a credit card?

I can only imagine people charging up a shitload of credit and bankrupting that card.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
DA: We'll Prosecute, No Matter How Council Votes
By JONATHAN LLOYD
Updated 2:45 PM PST, Tue, Nov 17, 2009

The ordinance would allow collectives, where pot is grown by members, to remain open but have to be at least 1,000 feet from schools, churches and hospitals

That seems fair. Is what we have to deal with in Canada, although a dumb rule, if I have a high school close to me, the last thing I want is any of them knowin

City Attorney Carmen Trutanich and county District Attorney Cooley recently said they would target stores that are profiting and selling to people who don't qualify for medicinal marijuana.

Yes and that is called trafficking, and illegal. Although it would be great to go to 711 for a bag of bud. It is still against the law, and very counter productive to the medical movement it was set up for. How will the laws possibly change, if immediately after med use was being accepted. Everyone flaunted the law. Like it or not, there are people against our passion

"Undermining those laws via their ordinance powers is counterproductive, and, quite frankly, we’re ignoring them. They are absolutely so irrelevant it’s not funny," Cooley told the LA Times.

This is just publicity for an upcoming election no doubt.

Latest Los Angeles County District Attorney Election Results

March 2004 Primary Election
Candidate Votes Percent of Vote
Steve Cooley 533,727 59.3
Nick Pacheco 135,508 15.1
Denise B Moehlman 81,094 9.0
Tom Higgins 63,556 7.1
Roger Carrick 60,957 6.8
Anthony G Patchett 25,713 2.3

Steve Cooley wiki

Controversies
[edit] Robert Blake

Steve Cooley's office was unsuccessful in the prosecution of Robert Blake for the murder of his wife Bonnie Lee Bakley. When interviewed about Robert Blake's acquittal, Steve Cooley publicly called members of the jury who acquitted Blake "incredibly stupid" and refused to apologize for the statement.[3]
[edit] Battered Women

According to The Los Angeles Times, advocates for battered women have criticized Cooley’s handling of Deborah Peagler’s case and others like it. In eight out of eight cases, he has opposed the use of a California law that allows battered women in prison to be given a new hearing if evidence of domestic violence was omitted during the original proceedings. Cooley had initially supported Peagler's release from prison, but then withdrew his offer to reduce the battered woman's prison sentence.[4] In 2008, a California Superior Court Judge removed Cooley's entire office from Peagler's case due to allegations of misconduct and conflicts of interest. [5]
[edit] Albert Robles

Cooley's June 2008 re-election opponent, Albert Robles, faced misdemeanor charges filed against him by the DA's office in November 2007. Robles was charged with printing a political mail piece without a return address and expending more than $100 cash in a political campaign. Robles accused Cooley of direct involvement in the charges brought against him because of a personal vendetta and to effect outcome of the 2008 DA's election held June 2008.[6] Cooley denied those allegations.[6] Robles lost to Cooley in June 2008, but in October 2008 was found not guilty of all charges[6][7] and was re-elected in November 2008 to his seat on the Water Replenishment District of Southern California board.[8]

richyrich

Veteran
It is still against the law, and very counter productive to the medical movement it was set up for. How will the laws possibly change, if immediately after med use was being accepted. Everyone flaunted the law. Like it or not, there are people against our passion

My sentiments exactly. I have been given a lot of flack for it. That okay, though. Freedom of speech.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
My sentiments exactly. I have been given a lot of flack for it. That okay, though. Freedom of speech.

That is because the majority of active "loud" users are for legalization. I am for it too, and am one the loud active users, but I also support the med movement.

B

Blue Dot

That is because the majority of active "loud" users are for legalization. I am for it too, and am one the loud active users, but I also support the med movement.

It's possible to be for both full legalization and the med movement at the same time and to also realise the two can be kept completely separate.

That's how i view it.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Why are you leaving CA for CO or DC if you don't mind my asking?

I am tired of CA. The place is covered in blue dots and the the gov't is dysfunctional and costs too much. OK, I get the latter in DC if that happens. But the DC area is where I grew up, I lived there for 4 decades and it's 'home' in my mind. I was in process of heading to CO when they announced the House had voted to repeal the Barr amendment and that if the Senate passed the appropriations bill and it got signed into law that Initiative 59 which was voted in in 1998 would finally be implemented. Upon reading I59 it's just written much better than P215 or A20. No arguing over whether dispensaries are allowed, it's in there. No arguing about how they need to form the business entity under the law, it's in there. No arguments over who can start and work for a dispensary, it's in there! No arguments over whether they can place a special tax on cannabis dispensaries like Oakland recently did, it's in there! No arguing about the 'intent' of I59, it's in there! It's so well written it's made me willing to move into DC as an actual resident. That plus there's a couple of fat tax breaks for moving in, but they get it on the back end I'm sure. I could almost believe the authors had the benefit of CA's experience with P215 when they wrote it until I realized it was written in 1997.

So I'd rather move to DC than CO. But then the health care argument started and the idiots in Congress decided that they don't really need a budget. The bill that the Barr Amendment was attached to was the DC appropriations bill which is how DC knows how much money it's going to spend in a fiscal year. The fiscal year starts October 1. They still haven't passed a budget for DC. Silly me thought that the whole thing would be decided by 9/15 in time to implement the budget. But Congress said to the District, just spend all you want, we'll print more. Had I anticipated this delay I surely would have run another cycle, but here I sit in full thumb twiddling mode, wondering how a fucking country that's in as bad financial shape as the US can just ignore the budget because the lawmakers are too busy arguing about a bill that won't take effect until 2013 at the earliest. :wallbash:

whew, what a wall of text!

ok blu and rr the law does not allow sales for profit, but it does allow for compensation. Now there are alot of costs involved to get medication to the patience. no matter if they grow there own or not, and sure there is set costs on most of it, but what is the value of a persons time involved in anyone involved suppling medications to the patience. The cost of the knowledge, and the HIGH risk these people are taking to supply these meds . Also if there is a bumber crop and you have more than what you are legally allowed to have as a co-op how do you figure what the true price for compensation should be.and where does compensation start, from the minute the seed pops until harvest? How many man hours is that? I agree the system needs to be addressed, but to just shut down everything until they can make up there minds is ludacris at best, the city screwed up, they had a list of original permits pryor to the moratorium and hardship law and they messed up and let the flood gates open and now they have a mess on there hands.But instead they are trying to punish the mass, and shut it all down. Maybe they should review the city permits, allow the originals that are still open to remain and shut down the ones who falsely applied for the hardship, then make the changes then make sure all collectives comply whith non-profit and any changes made. To me that would make more sense .Oh and by the way not for profits of any type do make sales , you ever buy a box of girl scout cookies?

B

Blue Dot

ok blu and rr the law does not allow sales for profit, but it does allow for compensation.

Caregivers are allowed reasonable compensation.

Courts have said that dispensaries are not caregivers.

There is no mention of "vendors" or "over the counter middlemen" in any law.

richyrich

Veteran
ok blu and rr the law does not allow sales for profit, but it does allow for compensation. Now there are alot of costs involved to get medication to the patience. no matter if they grow there own or not, and sure there is set costs on most of it, but what is the value of a persons time involved in anyone involved suppling medications to the patience. The cost of the knowledge, and the HIGH risk these people are taking to supply these meds . Also if there is a bumber crop and you have more than what you are legally allowed to have as a co-op how do you figure what the true price for compensation should be.and where does compensation start, from the minute the seed pops until harvest? How many man hours is that? I agree the system needs to be addressed, but to just shut down everything until they can make up there minds is ludacris at best, the city screwed up, they had a list of original permits pryor to the moratorium and hardship law and they messed up and let the flood gates open and now they have a mess on there hands.But instead they are trying to punish the mass, and shut it all down. Maybe they should review the city permits, allow the originals that are still open to remain and shut down the ones who falsely applied for the hardship, then make the changes then make sure all collectives comply whith non-profit and any changes made. To me that would make more sense .Oh and by the way not for profits of any type do make sales , you ever buy a box of girl scout cookies?

The arguments you bring forth here have already been debated in previous threads. You can click on my name to filter my posts and ready them if you would like my position. I do not feel like re-hashing the same issues.

Speaking of the pre-ico dispensary/collectives with permits, if you search my posts you will find out that I hold the 3rd legitimate business license--they are not permits--in the City of LA. I know all too well of what you speak of, costs, etc.

Yes, I do know that non-profits can make sales. Non-profit is exactly as it sounds, no net profit remaining after all numbers are tallied. A non-profit like the girl scouts is not constrained by the laws regarding MMJ. Your analogy argument fails.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
there is no mandate that big pharma must be "affordable" (unlike MMJ).

I'm gald you brought up economics.

With numbers it's extremely easy to figure what is affordable to the avg citizen based on earnings, inflation, etc.

i mean with computers it's ridiculoulsy easy.

guess what, $60/1/8th isn't affordable, sorry to burst your bubble.

why do i need YOU telling ME what the fuck is affordable????

ALOT of dispos sell $45 1/8's and alot of times is great smoke.

"voted by the people"? Where in 215 (which was the only law voted by the people), does it say "sales" at dispensaries are legal?

it also doesnt say its not illigal, and says the producer may be compensated for there time. its all in the rules of NPO(non profit org) and under federal tax laws NPOs can pay the owner of the npo alot of money, millions even.

tell you what grow me out a pound, make it good, and i wont pay you for it...

:dueling:

that way YOU can make it AFFORDABLE for ME, see i have no money to buy smoke...

you have a warpped idea of reality. need to grow more, or get a better fucking job. personaly, id do both!!

fucking whinning little bitching complaining little fuckin' girl.:woohoo:

A

Amstel Light

what a bunch of greedy fuck-ups....saw on cnn the "med mj" trade magazine, one coop has snoop dog as a spokesperson.... it's just childish and counterproductive... will the state "tax bill" be presented and passed in time? to me these dispensaries remind me of pain mgmt clinics.....bogus

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
WAMM made a press release supporting the existence of dispensaries. I posted the press release as a thread over in Dr. Jay's forum.

richyrich

Veteran

why do i need YOU telling ME what the fuck is affordable????

ALOT of dispos sell $45 1/8's and alot of times is great smoke.

it also doesnt say its not illigal, and says the producer may be compensated for there time. its all in the rules of NPO(non profit org) and under federal tax laws NPOs can pay the owner of the npo alot of money, millions even.

tell you what grow me out a pound, make it good, and i wont pay you for it...

:dueling:

that way YOU can make it AFFORDABLE for ME, see i have no money to buy smoke...

you have a warpped idea of reality. need to grow more, or get a better fucking job. personaly, id do both!!

fucking whinning little bitching complaining little fuckin' girl.:woohoo:

One could say the same about your post. Nothing useful, just the same complaining justification babble. Follow the usual posters in these threads and you will find your questions repeated and re-answered.

B

BioMechanical

It seems strange that herb is legal medicine in California, and they want you to keep it a 1,000 feet away from a hospital.

Maybe they should move the pharmacies pushing pills that sometimes kill people...

A

Amstel Light

It seems strange that herb is legal medicine in California, and they want you to keep it a 1,000 feet away from a hospital.

Maybe they should move the pharmacies pushing pills that sometimes kill people...
lol sometimes kill......The number of deaths involving prescription opioid analgesics increased 160 percent in just 5 years from 1999 to 2004. By 2004, opioid painkiller abuse deaths outnumbered total deaths involving heroin and cocaine (HHS’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006).

Warrior

Just heard on L.A. radio station KFI:
California Attorney General Jerry Brown has sided with the LA CIty Attorney in stating that all medical marijuana sales in California are illegal.

EDIT: Don Duncan of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) has characterized the KFI report as a "bad soundbite". He says that he doesn't believe that the KFI report reflects Brown's position, in that it contradicts ASA's conversations with Brown's staff. Duncan also says that Joe Elford, chief counsel for ASA, will call Brown's office on Monday for clarification.

Holding my breath for now. Hmm Either way I gotta at least stock up on some dispensary clones and learn to grow. Thank God we have a community on ICmag from which to learn.

pugnacious

Wow. I really hope that isnt true. Its almost unbelievable. I was raised to believe that Jerry Brown was a hero. Mainly from my dad.