What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cycloptics Greenbeams 315w owners thread

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GR - maybe someone will pop in and offer some more guidance but don't think you should need to be 48" away to be safe. don't know your room dimensions or how many lights but your probably getting a little light shock and you may need to increase nute levels just a bit when you make the switch (just a guess, always lots of factors which could be at play). with no pics its all conjecture tho

digging

What are your guys thoughts about placing a green beam above every plant being down as a tree along with vertical lighting ? Over kill or not ?

GreenRonin

Hey GR - maybe someone will pop in and offer some more guidance but don't think you should need to be 48" away to be safe. don't know your room dimensions or how many lights but your probably getting a little light shock and you may need to increase nute levels just a bit when you make the switch (just a guess, always lots of factors which could be at play). with no pics its all conjecture tho

Hey McKush, thank you for your reply!

My room dimensions is 3ft x 2ft with only one GreenBeams. Feeding with MaxiGrow at EC 1.3 and PH 6.0

After some tests( include using a standard metal halide which I have more experience, instead of the greenbeams) I'm sure the problem is not with the light distance. But I'm clueless about what is causing this yellowing from the top inside out.

I tried different soil mixes, different nutes, tried using clones and then using seeds... All attempts failed with that same yellowing from the top. I'm a experienced grower and never had this before, it started like 3 months ago and now every plant I try putting under a moderate light it will start yellowing from the top... Even CFL light if it's too close from my bonsai mums the top of them will be an unusual light green.

Do you know if there is a contagious/systemic disease, bug or pest that will affect clones and seeds in the same ambient?

Unfortunately this topic is not for me anymore until I discovered what is happening with my girls but if you guys could give me a help with this issue I would really appreciate. I'm becoming pretty upset and depressed with this problem. :dunno:

Here are some pics:

timmur

My room dimensions is 3ft x 2ft with only one GreenBeams. Feeding with MaxiGrow at EC 1.3 and PH 6.0

After some tests( include using a standard metal halide which I have more experience, instead of the greenbeams) I'm sure the problem is not with the light distance. But I'm clueless about what is causing this yellowing from the top inside out.

I tried different soil mixes, different nutes, tried using clones and then using seeds... All attempts failed with that same yellowing from the top. I'm a experienced grower and never had this before, it started like 3 months ago and now every plant I try putting under a moderate light it will start yellowing from the top... Even CFL light if it's too close from my bonsai mums the top of them will be an unusual light green.

Do you know if there is a contagious/systemic disease, bug or pest that will affect clones and seeds in the same ambient?

Unfortunately this topic is not for me anymore until I discovered what is happening with my girls but if you guys could give me a help with this issue I would really appreciate. I'm becoming pretty upset and depressed with this problem. :dunno:

Here are some pics:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639137&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639136&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639135&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639138&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Not sure how applicable this may be to your situation, but I had to use cal/mag to resolve issues with my grow under Greenbeams. I also had to bump up the nutrient strength in general. I've been hearing that high lighting levels under CMH requires increased levels of calcium and magnesium. YMMV. Hope this helps.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
for veg i have a single GB in just a tad bigger space than 3x3.

no problems other than faster growth than i would like sometimes

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Here are some pics:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639137&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639136&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639135&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68920&pictureid=1639138&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Hi GR - sorry i can't help you with your issue. your best bet is to post it in the infirmary section though.

best

TreeWolf

Sure thing.

Rives mentioned that Flip has a bunch of Phillips ballasts available too for a decent price, leftovers from another project. Flip said using them would require cutting some cord and hard-wiring things together though. I need them wired for 240V -- not sure if manually "hardwiring" it would mean splicing 2 cords together (not sure how to do that up to code), or just chopping the end of a cord off and screwing it under a nut in the ballast or something simple like that? I will have to ask Flip unless someone here can explain the process a bit more.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure thing.

Rives mentioned that Flip has a bunch of Phillips ballasts available too for a decent price, leftovers from another project. Flip said using them would require cutting some cord and hard-wiring things together though. I need them wired for 240V -- not sure if manually "hardwiring" it would mean splicing 2 cords together (not sure how to do that up to code), or just chopping the end of a cord off and screwing it under a nut in the ballast or something simple like that? I will have to ask Flip unless someone here can explain the process a bit more.

Using the Philips ballasts requires them to be mounted in an enclosure and, at a minimum, providing strain relief for the cords. I used plug headers on mine to facilitate cord removal, but that isn't necessary. Those are fuse holders (one for each leg of the 240v) between the plug headers. SO cord should be used for the lamp connection. There is more detail and a link to the enclosure that I used in the other thread.

picture.php

TreeWolf

Rives, do you have a link to that enclosure handy? I searched the Phillips thread for aluminum, enclosure, etc, found lots of posts talking about it but not the specific one you used. You also mentioned having a couple in an OEM dual ballast enclosure that sounded interesting.

I would not mind permanent connections since you mentioned the flanged inlets are hard to find and expensive.. Would that just be strain reliefs with locknuts? You also mentioned don't forget fusing, is a fuse needed between the ballast and hood?

So this is what the Phillips IZTMH210315R-LF ballast looks like before you put it into an enclosure yeah? Flip and Jeff confirmed there's just some pigtails coming out of it to wire up.
d6gtVCT.jpg

TreeWolf

<3 thanks! Definitely getting my electrician friend to help but he only did some residential apprentice type work for a couple years, just trying to get all of our ducks in a row as much as possible.

Do you have an online source for those flanged inlets by chance or are they that rare? Definitely want to at least have a real power plug like that if not the lamp cord / twist lock too.

I should probably be posting this in the Phillips thread but oh well.. This is definitely directly related to the 6 greenbeams I have on the way :) Should be at about 800 u/mols with 5 of them in a 6'x6', going to try an X pattern with one in the center and the others at the tips of the X. And another for veg.

Almost makes me want to scrap the plants we've been vegging for 2 months now under a T5 while we complete the build-out of a new room, but we might as well flower them while some fresh ones are vegging under proper lights I suppose.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Btw in VR im a 315w GB over a 3x3. In flower im gavita DE + GB CMH over a 5x5.5 and im going to eventually be GB CMH + Gavita DE + GB CMH. After another ventilation upgrade... got 930s and 942s to play with DE. Will dim the DE to the DLI im shooting for. Will be able to saturate the most needy NLD out there if it requires

G

I understand the paint at the tip of the bulb is to eliminate hot spots undert the Greenbeams. I want to know what people experiences have been with using bulbs with no paint.