What's new

Cycloptics Greenbeams 315w owners thread

Ez Rider

Veteran
Wow .. thanks Ez ... this is valuable information indeed. You pulled out all the stops on this one and it has already influenced the way I will set up my grow room. Looks like timmur's recommendation for the sj orca tents are spot on too.

I hope you might be inclined to test a greenbeam light vs normal lamp in the phantom reflector ... to see if you get the same results, regaring the aluminium paint.

Thank you. Really look forward to this.

I do plan on testing with an untreated bulb as well. I'll be picking one up when the phantom shows up. The sj ocra tents are nice, but the sizes don't really work that well for 315's IMO. 4x4 and 4x8 are both kind of awkward for the 315's footprint. At the prices they're asking, it's probably more efficient to build your own. $800 for a 4x8 tent is pretty expensive, especially considering that in my experience, the SJ's frames are horribly flimsy(I tossed my mine after just a few runs because it was falling apart). Also, where most tents run a little big, the sj's tend to run a little small. I plan on making my own enclosures and lining with orca in the future. I am completely disgusted with how poorly the gorilla tent reflected, and it's the only tent I've ever been happy with structurally.

pug1010

$800 for a 4x8 tent is pretty expensive.

I've never bought from them and being in Canada the shipping is nasty, but these have the bigger orca sj tent for a better price …
http://www.horticulturesource.com/secret-jardin-orca-tent-240x120x200-cm-or240w--p21780/

Know what you mean though about the awkward size for the green beams. Also if you don't like the structural integrity, there is no point in buying. For me … the biggest drawback is the height.

Should be interesting to see the phantom vs greenbeam … both the lamp and the total fixture. I am also interested in the heat. I have read reports that the phantom runs hot … I am guessing on 120v (not 240v), but have not heard any reports on the gb running hot on 120v or 240v.

Ez Rider

Veteran
I've never bought from them and being in Canada the shipping is nasty, but these have the bigger orca sj tent for a better price …
http://www.horticulturesource.com/secret-jardin-orca-tent-240x120x200-cm-or240w--p21780/

Know what you mean though about the awkward size for the green beams. Also if you don't like the structural integrity, there is no point in buying. For me … the biggest drawback is the height.

Should be interesting to see the phantom vs greenbeam … both the lamp and the total fixture. I am also interested in the heat. I have read reports that the phantom runs hot … I am guessing on 120v (not 240v), but have not heard any reports on the gb running hot on 120v or 240v.
The gorillas go as tall as you'd like. Their extension kits work pretty well. Personally, I'm hoping to upsize to a dedicated 10x10 room. I think the big sj tent would be awesome for veg, with maybe 4 c/g's, but 6, plus all my other equipment just wouldn't fit. It's only 47"w x 94"l x78"h. My gorilla is 60"w x 108"l x 96"h(1' extension).

I don't see any difference in heat between running 120v or 240v on the pargrows. Not sure about the phantom ballast. I'm only buying the phantom hood(for now at least), I'll still drive the lamp with one of my pargrow's for the tests.

skwirl

I've been enjoying this thread alot. So much so I'm oh so close to tossin' out my budget on an upcoming light change. EZ I'm especially lovin' your enthusiasm and your tent looks to die for:woohoo: McKush thanks for this thread!!!! Timmur, Scrappy + the rest of you are awesome too!!

I run 6 Gavita 1000 watt remote ballasts with XXL hoods in an 11 x 13 room with an average ceiling height of 11 feet. After a few runs IMO the XXL hoods are ca ca crap'! AND it's gets butt hot in there. Fans run constantly. NO C02..oh natural..

I was about to get 6 Gavita 600/750 all in one fixtures...THEN fate struck..and I saw this SUN SYSTEMS CMH light at a new grow store in a tent:biggrin:. First thing that hit me was the light color. Oh do I hate orange light...omg I'm so over it. I think it's causing my hair to fall out..and i'm young!! yikes! I did a ton of online searching and now I've come here to see some amazing things! I'm pretty sure if I dont try this I'll kick myself later...

So quick question before I have my room 'modeled'> In an 11 x 13 space just how many of these super cool lights should I expect to use to get to peak efficiency?...(please say 12 LOL AND not 16 lol)

PS If I do take the plunge I intend to put as much thought as I can into 'reflective' stuff. ORCA everything..including my jumpsuit I use in the grow room

PSS I wish light companies would be more kind in pricing. I think a smaller profit margin would mean an overwhelming increase in sales...BUT then again when I hear of giant weed factories buying huge lots I figure they really don't care all that much about small timers'..sigh..

Last edited:

Ez Rider

Veteran
I've been enjoying this thread alot. So much so I'm oh so close to tossin' out my budget on an upcoming light change. EZ I'm especially lovin' your enthusiasm and your tent looks to die for:woohoo: McKush thanks for this thread!!!! Timmur, Scrappy + the rest of you are awesome too!!

I run 6 Gavita 1000 watt remote ballasts with XXL hoods in an 11 x 13 room with an average ceiling height of 11 feet. After a few runs IMO the XXL hoods are ca ca crap'! AND it's gets butt hot in there. Fans run constantly. NO C02..oh natural..

I was about to get 6 Gavita 600/750 all in one fixtures...THEN fate struck..and I saw this SUN SYSTEMS CMH light at a new grow store in a tent:biggrin:. First thing that hit me was the light color. Oh do I hate orange light...omg I'm so over it. I think it's causing my hair to fall out..and i'm young!! yikes! I did a ton of online searching and now I've come here to see some amazing things! I'm pretty sure if I dont try this I'll kick myself later...

So quick question before I have my room 'modeled'> In an 11 x 13 space just how many of these super cool lights should I expect to use to get to peak efficiency?...(please say 12 LOL AND not 16 lol)

PS If I do take the plunge I intend to put as much thought as I can into 'reflective' stuff. ORCA everything..including my jumpsuit I use in the grow room

PSS I wish light companies would be more kind in pricing. I think a smaller profit margin would mean an overwhelming increase in sales...BUT then again when I hear of giant weed factories buying huge lots I figure they really don't care all that much about small timers'..sigh..

I'd advise against the dual bulb fixtures. Also, with orca, the 930 argo bulbs(the best ones) are almost as orange as hps. You don't see it with a silver tent, but it's VERY noticeable with the orca. I had to break out my method 7's again. They usually demo the lec's with the 942, which is a much "whiter", albeit weaker lamp.

timmur

I'd advise against the dual bulb fixtures. Also, with orca, the 930 argo bulbs(the best ones) are almost as orange as hps. You don't see it with a silver tent, but it's VERY noticeable with the orca. I had to break out my method 7's again. They usually demo the lec's with the 942, which is a much "whiter", albeit weaker lamp.

The 942s have better spectrum IMO.

Ez Rider

Veteran
The 942s have better spectrum IMO.

Noted. I plan on trying them in the big tent at some point. I actually forgot to test the 942(I have 1) against the 930 in the 3x3 tent. When the phantom shows up, I'll do that too. I went with 930's because they modeled significantly higher ppfd's than 942's.

skwirl

i'm steering clear of the double lamps for sure. That Sun Systems lamp I saw was a single in a 4x4 tent.

I'll be honest I considered them. Before I knew much at all about these I thought I might replace each of the 6 1000's with a double lamp Sun Systems CMH....doh. Since then I've read alot..including tons of Beta's tech stuff..and my head still hurts lol

Orange light aaargh..

note: for some reason thread tools isn't giving me instant email notification. I have it with other threads...

timmur

i'm steering clear of the double lamps for sure. That Sun Systems lamp I saw was a single in a 4x4 tent.

I'll be honest I considered them. Before I knew much at all about these I thought I might replace each of the 6 1000's with a double lamp Sun Systems CMH....doh. Since then I've read alot..including tons of Beta's tech stuff..and my head still hurts lol

Orange light aaargh..

note: for some reason thread tools isn't giving me instant email notification. I have it with other threads...

It's probably gonna take 16, especially if you go with the 942s. No, I'm not just saying that cause that's how many I have! :)

The 942s have lower output as EZ noted.

skwirl

After observing and reading I kinda' figure that much..I was just wishful:thinking: thinking. The room is rectangular so I'm not too clear on how an even number would work. Withe 15 I could go 3 wide and 5 lengthwise...OR a radial set up. That's pretty cool how they do that

16,,wow that's like 8 grand. Emphasize on the grand part lol. More than my car, my bike, tv, stereo, juicer, clothes, shoes put together:) Basically everything I own..omg. Good thing is I have funds. So no excuse there. I've got 35 days 'till harvest on my last Gavita grow, Then it's decision time

Gavita...oh my what can I say... I had a ballast go out. Remote ballast that they no longer make. They wanted to replace it with a Galaxy. I've seen stacks of these fried ballasts at grow stores. I also can't run my EL-1 with them. I love my EL-1! Shame...Glitch or something.

Thanks for replies guys

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After observing and reading I kinda' figure that much..I was just wishful:thinking: thinking. The room is rectangular so I'm not too clear on how an even number would work. Withe 15 I could go 3 wide and 5 lengthwise...OR a radial set up. That's pretty cool how they do that

16,,wow that's like 8 grand. Emphasize on the grand part lol. More than my car, my bike, tv, stereo, juicer, clothes, shoes put together:) Basically everything I own..omg. Good thing is I have funds. So no excuse there. I've got 35 days 'till harvest on my last Gavita grow, Then it's decision time

Gavita...oh my what can I say... I had a ballast go out. Remote ballast that they no longer make. They wanted to replace it with a Galaxy. I've seen stacks of these fried ballasts at grow stores. I also can't run my EL-1 with them. I love my EL-1! Shame...Glitch or something.

Thanks for replies guys

Timmur has a room worth more than my whole net worth at the moment....:laughing:

Ez Rider

Veteran

Thanks for replies guys

If you're going to commit to a dozen or more greenbeams, I'm pretty sure they'll do a model for your room.

Timmur has a room worth more than my whole net worth at the moment....:laughing:

:yeahthats

skwirl

Commit is the word. I think to be successful in any venture one cannot be shy. If that means big $$ upfront with a long range big payoff you have to make that move. Cutting corners is NOT AN OPTION

I think however I'll do one or more rounds with my current set-up before I tear into my savings. I have a looong list of stuff that needs to be done..and some girl type medical needs.

The tech is solid. Its a safe investment. Big time electrical savings! PGE in CA is brutal...even with a CARE discount. Now I'm hearing rumors of an 11% rate hike (can they do that jeez)

I do have one option..my veg room. It's 8x6. Maybe that will be my first Greenbeams adventure.

In the meantime I'll enjoy this thread. It's got to be one of the best here. I loved how the 'lions' scared away a couple of "hyenas" early in the thread...grrrr lol

Ez Rider

Veteran
Commit is the word. I think to be successful in any venture one cannot be shy. If that means big $$ upfront with a long range big payoff you have to make that move. Cutting corners is NOT AN OPTION

I think however I'll do one or more rounds with my current set-up before I tear into my savings. I have a looong list of stuff that needs to be done..and some girl type medical needs.

The tech is solid. Its a safe investment. Big time electrical savings! PGE in CA is brutal...even with a CARE discount. Now I'm hearing rumors of an 11% rate hike (can they do that jeez)

I do have one option..my veg room. It's 8x6. Maybe that will be my first Greenbeams adventure.

In the meantime I'll enjoy this thread. It's got to be one of the best here. I loved how the 'lions' scared away a couple of "hyenas" early in the thread...grrrr lol

FYI i'm seeing ~15% electric savings overall. Not "big time", but it will help pay for the systems.

You think PGE is bad, try SDG&E...vampires, plain and simple.

Do up that veg room with 5-6 c/g's with 942's and orca. You'll be amazed. Actually, wait for my PAR tests on the phantom hood, there may be a cheaper, more air coolable way??? Hoping to have them up late tonight...

MerakiLabs

Hi everyone! First off thank you to Timmur and Ez Rider for their continued research. This is priceless!

Allow me to introduce myself as @MerakiLabs. I am a grower based in CA. My research and planning far exceeds my large scale cultivation experience. I have become passionate with cultivation and its many methods. I look forward to learning much through these forums and sharing my personal experiences.

My long-term goal is to have 8 near-identical flowering rooms with a canopy of 8'x8' each to harvest new data at a rate of near once per week. I am thinking 4 different physical locations with each of the four locations having a separate vegetative room/tent and drying room/tent.

I would like start by finalizing the plans for a single flowering room (about 10'x10'). I will start by describing some details of what I have planned (much of it based off of these forums) and finish with some immediate questions I have. Thanks ahead for taking the time.

So I am currently pretty sold on running 12 GBs with the appropriate 315 agro bulbs. For the ease of feeding, I am probably going to run two separate 4'x8' flood and drain trays on rollers with Orca wrapped around or Lumacept UVC-Max on the walls. I would like to keep each physical location under 99 plants as much as possible, but see myself running 18 plants per tray (36 per room) in 10 gallon fabric pots with a coco mix. I am hoping to get a hang of mainlining in veg while having them in something like the 8" Gro Pro Root Master Pot to allow air pruning before transplanting into the room/pots and allowing them to veg for another week or so before flipping. A sealed room with CO2 enrichment via a generator and an 18,000-24,000btu mini-split AC. I do not have anywhere near an unlimited budget, but while being cost-effective my drive and is to grow the cleanest cannabis for yield and potency, while constantly exploring methods of reducing my carbon footprint.

Questions:
Would you recommend something different other then ebb&flow (flood/drain) for the administration of nutes to the grow medium?

What would be the best way to go about hanging the 12 GB's according to the Cycloptics recommendation? Can I use the light rack on a tray stand so it rolls with the tray?

Is one week of veg in the flowering room under 12 315w agro bulb (3100k) after being transplanted from the 8 inch air pot to 10 gallon fabric pots ideal? I would like to have a minimal footprint of a veg room or tent with enough space to propagate and veg enough clones for 1 flowering room every four weeks and maintain a mother. The veg room will be a combination of GBs and T5s for the babies.

Lastly, but most importantly I need to estimate yield. Confident that I will not be making any detrimental mistakes, but understanding that thing will always need to be dialed in; What is a safe estimate of what I can and should be yielding per harvest of the 64sq ft canopy size?

I am new to forum etiquette and will be posting this a few different places. Please let me know if this is an issue and I will address it immediately. Thank you!

Question, i have messaged Cycloptic a few times on this issue, and have had no response. With normal HID lighting, you need to replace the reflective material of the hood every one or two years, as heat degrades the reflective qualities. And that is with a horizontal fixture, the Greambeam is a vertical fixture, so the reflective properties of the hoods reflector would be even more crucial.

What i want to know is, has anyone tested reflectivity over time? What is the lumen loss over a year, over two years? If you have to pay $375 for a new hood every one two years, well that needs to be a consideration when weighing other options.

I bought one so far, so far i really like it, but that was before i realized Cycloptics will not sell the insert alone, they will make you pay $375 for a new hood. I need 6 main flowering lights eventually, i thought i was on the right track with the Greembeams, but now I am not so sure. I have been actually putting in the time for DYI LED, my next light will be 9 Cree CXB3590 running at 1050mA. Roughly the same amount of watts from that wall, i plan on running a side by side with the Greenbeam, each will have a 3x3 tent.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Has anyone tested reflectivity over time?

Thank you very much!

timmur

Question, i have messaged Cycloptic a few times on this issue, and have had no response. With normal HID lighting, you need to replace the reflective material of the hood every one or two years, as heat degrades the reflective qualities. And that is with a horizontal fixture, the Greambeam is a vertical fixture, so the reflective properties of the hoods reflector would be even more crucial.

What i want to know is, has anyone tested reflectivity over time? What is the lumen loss over a year, over two years? If you have to pay $375 for a new hood every one two years, well that needs to be a consideration when weighing other options.

I bought one so far, so far i really like it, but that was before i realized Cycloptics will not sell the insert alone, they will make you pay $375 for a new hood. I need 6 main flowering lights eventually, i thought i was on the right track with the Greembeams, but now I am not so sure. I have been actually putting in the time for DYI LED, my next light will be 9 Cree CXB3590 running at 1050mA. Roughly the same amount of watts from that wall, i plan on running a side by side with the Greenbeam, each will have a 3x3 tent.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Has anyone tested reflectivity over time?

Thank you very much!

Probably last as long as any other reflector made with aluminum. The design is special, not the material.

How long does it take for an aluminum reflector to break down? I have read different things, most though are saying every 1 or 2 years, but i have not found anyone that did a proper test, or posted evidence to back of their claims. If you really have to replace the hood every 1 or 2 years i think i will have to rethink a few things.

As much as i love the light, if the design was truly special, it would have a replaceable insert, and not rake you over the coals with a $375 hood replacements. One of the selling points is longevity of the bulb, well the hood replacement not only cancels that out, but makes it a worse deal. Yes you would have to replace the reflective material in other HID lighting setups, but you can buy hoods with removable inserts.

Even if they don't want to redesign, sell the insert, and let the user drill out the rivets to replace! But what really burned my ass, was the fact that i have posted these SAME questions multiple times to the manufacture, not ONCE did i get a reply. Its not like I'm kicking tires here, i already bought one, and i need 5 more. These are legitimate questions, even if they don't like the actual questions. Besides, ignoring your customers is no way to gain long term loyalty.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Latest posts