What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cycloptics Greenbeams 315w owners thread

Ez Rider

Veteran
I understand the paint at the tip of the bulb is to eliminate hot spots undert the Greenbeams. I want to know what people experiences have been with using bulbs with no paint.

I'm halfway through my first run with unpainted lamps. I'm not seeing any significant difference from the painted ones. Canopy temps remain similar, and flower development seems on par with other runs. At the 18-24" above the canopy that most of us are using these lamps, the paint actually creates a "cold spot" directly under the lamp. IMO the paint isn't worth the bother. Besides, I've had VERY bad luck with lamps coming through the mail(they all failed in less than 9 months). Now I buy all my lamps locally, with a 1 year guarantee. Maybe when this run is finished, I'll take PAR measurements of the untreated lamps and compare them to my measurements with the treated lamps. No promises though.

Stinkhorn123

Ez Im also using a few unpainted bulbs in my Greenbeams. 2 of my original bulbs will fire but only run for 5-10 minutes. Have your bulbs failed in a similar manner?

G

I've got 3 Greenbeams in a 9x5 tent. Two of the three Phillips bulbs have been no good. The first one burned up with first start up and disintegrated the inside components etc. The second one will fire for a few minutes but go out again. I'm suspecting its going on and off repetedly due to the bulb being warm when checking hours later.
I did a quick fix with a Maxpar 315 and a Solis Tek 315 and they are both working fine in the same fixtures.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Ez Im also using a few unpainted bulbs in my Greenbeams. 2 of my original bulbs will fire but only run for 5-10 minutes. Have your bulbs failed in a similar manner?

Exact same issue. Flip did replace them(FREE), but half of the new ones failed within a few months. Flip did offer to replace those for free as well, but between having to return the bad lamps to him and having to wait on snail mail, I opted to source locally for the lamps, as I believe the damage occurred during shipping.

FWIW, you can buy the silver paint from Graingers. It's only $55/qt:moon: Another reason I opted for untreated replacements. At farther lamp distances(>3' above canopy) the painted tip is most likely beneficial. From my own measurements, I know that it creates a cold spot at 18-24", which is where I hang mine.

Stinkhorn123

Thanks Ez, I do reallly like these lights but this does have me concerned. My initial intention was to buy a bunch more GB's but idk. Hopefully I won't lose anymore bulbs as they've only been running a few months.

G

With my situation it was the lamps and not the fixtures. All three of my Greenbeams have been trouble free since replacing the Phillips bulbs that came with the kits.
I don't know if it was just bad luck, damage during shipping or the paint that may have been a factor.
Regardless Ez's advice about buying lamps locally is on point.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive not had any bulb issues on 3 philips and my 2 GBs. Everything has run flawlessly. I use my gavita with el2 controller and ecm module to fire them and then i dim the gavita to get the DLI i want

pug1010

Any chance this could be a ballast issue ... maybe different ballasts for different models, suiting different lamps?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My guess is bulbs, maybe a bad batch got out... dunno. Hard to say with so few out there. Ive not had any issues with my two GB and three bulbs i burned in. Not burning the bulb in properly could be at play but dunno tbh. Bought the two GB separately too, no issues running the 230v voltage.

iuredbud

Just heard that Hydrofarm is now distributing Cycloptics Greenbeams reflector. It is packaged with the Phantom II 315 CMH ballast and a Philips Agro 3100K or 4200K lamp with Cycloptics painted diffusion tip

srich250

Hydrofarm does not have them on their website.

I hope to have pics of soon.
Running two GB as usual and always absolutely bomb results. I'm running each over a 4x4' row. Not ideal per their specs but it was my only option. I am super happy with results.

My next setup change will be vertical 600 hps and cycloptics 315 CMH over each set of 4 plants in my RDWC setup.

Scrappy-doo

Here's my little closet grow. Day 25, 1 GB in a 52"x56" space. Aiming for a # looking on track so far. :tiphat:

picture.php

weedtoker

Veteran
This seems a great thread to try and answer some little questions. If ya want to try a CMH 315, you always need a cycloptic (Europeans stores that carry them anyone?) Is there anyway you can wire it yourself, can you use magnetics and electronic ballasts? For years I see CMH technology but never seem to find a concrete answer, maybe the way the tech is being dispersed/publicly advertised is not helping, because results seem nice from a distance!

Grow on
Weedtoker

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I gotta 4 1/2 x 9 growspace that currently has 2 gavita de's goin. Trying to decide if I want to get a single greenbeam to go in the middle and turn the gavitas down to 600, or just rock 3 or 4 greenbeams in the room.

ElevatedThinker

32" x 32" Tent and Single Greenbeam

32" x 32" Tent and Single Greenbeam

Hi All,

I know that multiple GreenBeams work magic in certain spaces and right now I have a Sun System 315W reflector. I was looking at the test results from Growershouse (PAR without PPFD) and it seems kinda lower than what I would expect.

https://growershouse.com/blog/cmh-315w-lamp-comparison-test-data-review/

Would a single GreenBeam work better in a 32" x 32" tent with the dispersion, reflectivity, and etc? I bought one on sale at Growershouse thinking I could keep/store/sell the other Sun System I'm using now. I was hoping to achieve at a minimum of 600 umols/s2.

Thoughts?

TreeWolf

Mounting brackets

Mounting brackets

Hi there,

How do you all mount your green beams? Anyone have a link to the uni-strut thing the instructions talked about?

We mounted the green bracket thing on top, and then tied a cable between two holes, and have Sun Grips attached to that cable. But it's really hard to get it perfectly level like this.

Cheers

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi there,

How do you all mount your green beams? Anyone have a link to the uni-strut thing the instructions talked about?

We mounted the green bracket thing on top, and then tied a cable between two holes, and have Sun Grips attached to that cable. But it's really hard to get it perfectly level like this.

Cheers

I don't know what the instructions reference, but UniStrut is a commonly used product line in industrial electrical installations. Any decent-sized electrical distributor should carry the strut and and the accessories to complete the installation.