What's new

Curing: Jars vs Baggies .. ??

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never store buds in plastic bags or tubs. Why do you think everyone uses glass mason jars ???.
Plastic is a NO NO unless you want to be smoking contaminated buds.

BULLSHIT!!!!
the plastic i recommened (and posted a clear picture of) is safe for food consumption aka no bpa.

"Food Grade Material"

If a restaurant can store there tomatoes in it, its aok for cannabis, too.... "food for thought" :tiphat:

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
412AbDBPTDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

these are about $8 at Walmart, maybe cheaper. The spigot can be unscrewed, and the hole plugged with cork. They are not as air tight as a metal band qt mason jars, but its 4x the volume...

LUDACRIS

Veteran
BULLSHIT!!!!
the plastic i recommened (and posted a clear picture of) is safe for food consumption aka no bpa.

"Food Grade Material"

If a restaurant can store there tomatoes in it, its aok for cannabis, too.... "food for thought" :tiphat:

Baggies for food OK.
Baggies for curing or storing buds = Big NO NO.
Glass jars for curing and storing weed = YES.
And i dont smoke my food or tomatoes. Just my green.
You seem to stand alone on your theory and methods and have the cheek to say i am talking B.S.
:laughing::laughing:

LUDY LOO,

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Never store buds in plastic bags or tubs. Why do you think everyone uses glass mason jars ???.
Plastic is a NO NO unless you want to be smoking contaminated buds.
For storing, I agree that glass jars are the way to go. But "everyone" does not cure in glass. I got the idea to cure in ziplock bags from the Mandala site. IME, everything he says about his genetics and methods of growing, etc has been spot on. So I figured I give his suggestion for curing in bags a try. And, as far as I'm concerned, he is spot on about that too.

And I really don't believe keeping my buds in a plastic bag for a few weeks is causing any noticeable contamination. I certainly could be wrong, but those bags are made for food storage, so I would hope they are not too toxic.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
For storing, I agree that glass jars are the way to go. But "everyone" does not cure in glass. I got the idea to cure in ziplock bags from the Mandala site. IME, everything he says about his genetics and methods of growing, etc has been spot on. So I figured I give his suggestion for curing in bags a try. And, as far as I'm concerned, he is spot on about that too.

And I really don't believe keeping my buds in a plastic bag for a few weeks is causing any noticeable contamination. I certainly could be wrong, but those bags are made for food storage, so I would hope they are not too toxic.

Their is probably around 5-10 ways to cure but i would not use anything other than glass jars and as for storage it would be silly not to get the best flavour from your hard earned green by storing buds in anything other than glass jars.

:)

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You seem to stand alone on your theory and methods and have the cheek to say i am talking B.S.

:blowbubbles:

hmmmmmmmmm

you must not ever go to northern california. or you dont know/work with any growers that produce more than a lil cab full of pot...

i dont stand alone and you are full of bullshit regarding this particular subject.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=167015

I disagree

I store stuff in plastic containers all the time.

Dr Dog grows HUGE. If he was the only guy posting about using plastic buckets I'd feel confident in his word...

I have cured/stored many harvests in FREE food grade plastic buckets. I have taken to lining them with a Reynolds turkey bag, but that is only to cut the loss of hairs/trics due to static electricity.

Food grade plastic is fine.

thats 2.....

At the end of the day, yes you can use plastic...
...When I have large amounts I store it in plastic containers because they're such much easier and cheaper. Ideally I'd use glass but this just isnt feasible.

theres 3 from a single similiar thread... definately NOT alone

and thats not counting of course the offline associates of mine that also use the foodgrade buckets for storage. sorry dude :comfort:

you should grow more pot and personally run into the quarry of where/how to store it all (especially since none sells pot these days, right lol)... packing 5lbs into mason jars is even more tedious than trimming the 5lbs...

open your mind some guy :wave:
its good for you
aloha

LUDACRIS

Veteran
GROWFAQ.

How do I properly dry and cure my harvest?

Keep the drying area dark, the air well circulated and exchanged with fans, the temperatures in the lower 70's and the humidity between 50-60% with a dehumidifier, if necessary. The bud will smoke smoother if it takes around a week for the moisture to evaporate, quicker drying will harshen the taste and degrade the burning properties.

After drying, any variety benefits from a slow cure. Curing involves atmospheric oxygen to metabolize cannabinnoids and terpenes into more desirable forms. After the harvest is dry enough to create a snapping sound when stems are bent, the material is placed in sealed glass containers. Once the oxygen is consumed within them, the process slows to a halt.

The jars should be opened and aired out once or twice every 24 hours. If you smoke a bud as soon as it is drys, it is nothing like it becomes after a nice slow dry and cure. The buds must remain dry with no moisture from inner stems still dispersing, kept out of direct light and the ambient temperature/humidity should be comfortable for humans. I usually vacuum seal and refrigerate after 3 weeks, but have extended the curing time to 5 weeks, if discernable improvements were still occuring. No bud should be smoked before its time.

Peeling stems for a faster drying period

by Psychotropic Nomad.

Peeling stems is a much quicker way to dry the product. The first day of drying i would normally cut all fan leaves off and score the main stem with a sharp knife. Peeling the stem exposes the inside of the stem to air, cutting drying time by 20%. You can do this scoring ritual everyday for 5 days until all is dry.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
from soma - he only jars his pot overnight after taking it off the lines!!!!! and thats for a crop that will go to competition!!!!
none of this "3-5 weeks til its ready" bullshit....

from: http://www.somaseeds.nl/magazine_articles/HowtoGrowaPrizeWinningCrop.html
When I harvest this crop, I surely do not want to dry it too fast, as this would make the taste and potency go downhill. I take all the large fan leaves off with my fingers then I hang it in a cool dark place upside down for about 10 days. I then check them to see if I can snap a stem. Once it is to the point where I can snap a stem, I start manicuring the fine leaf off the plants with my fingers using the scissors only to cut the stems. For a prizewinning crop, I must take all the unwanted leaf off, making it look as clean as possible. I then put it in a canning jar overnight to let it rehydrate before opening it once more for a few hours to make sure it is dry enough to put away. I am now ready to meet the competition, wish me luck.

its curing while its drying!!!
edit: but it all starts with growing the plants right feeding them right flushing them right.....

Last edited:

Xtensity

Remember folks, just because a lot of people do it, doesn't mean it's the safest and most reliable method.

I don't know much about the chemistry of various plastics, but I do figure if you cure in a plastic bag, there's a higher chance of trichs getting rubbed off; this is because the flexibility of the bags will often rub the buds if the bag is being handled.

In a jar/container that is handled correctly, this wont happen.

What I do know about various plastics. There was a study done, showing that bottled water in plastic bottles, after a certain period of time becomes dangerous to the health when consumed. This is because of the various chemicals in the plastic.

With this known, I don't see a problem in curing in plastic containers for a month or so, but long term storage in plastic containers is a big no no, unless you don't mind your weed tasting like plastic along with other dangerous chemicals going into your body.
I personally would never cure in plastic; with anything stored in plastic, the plastic will almost always alter the taste.

Also remember that plastic containers are more prone to odor leakage than glass jars. Remember odors are simply small amounts of an element/compound touching/reacting with the Olfactory bulb in the nose, which triggers the smell in your brain. Meaning, valuable cannabinoid particles escape overtime. So in theory, with this being said, buds may actually loose potency quicker if stored in plastic vs glass.

There's no point in arguing which is better or why you shouldn't use one or the other if you don't know the reasons.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
GROWFAQ.

What is the best way to dry and preserve the cure for smooth, sweet buds?

Contributed by glass joe:

Commercial growers take the colas from the plant and manicure them before drying. They usually dry them on a line, upside-down, which is fine.

However, usually airflow is forced, and temps too high, humidity too low. As soon as the buds are considered dry (usually a few days), it is sold. The reason for this behavior is the fact they are, as I said, commercial growers and in a constant hurry to exchange their buds for cash. Every minute counts and they don't want to 'waste' the space or the time needed for drying and curing. This results in harsh, grassy tasting weed that lacks the full-bodied flavor and smooth stone of properly dried and cured bud. To do it right:

At harvest-time all you have to do is cut the plant as low as possible and hang the whole thing upside down to dry on a line. The room you use to dry should be the about the same size you grew in (if not the same room). The humidity should remain a constant 50-60%. Too high and buds will mold, too low and they dry too fast and taste bad. Temperature should be around 65-68 degrees, wherever possible. Make sure the room is dark, as light degrades THC.

All kinds of processes, like the transport of sugars inside the plant still take place, even when you cut it down. These processes will slowly come to an end while the drying progresses, but are the main factor for the end-taste of your smoke. That is the first reason why you don't want to quick-dry your weed. The second reason is the way that a plant dries. Plants are made up of cells and, as we all know, cells contain mainly water. Exposed to air, the (dying) plant's outer cells will dry out first but the above-mentioned processes will still transfer water from the inner cells to the dryer outer cells, thus causing the plant to dry equally all over. By removing the stalk and cutting off the individual colas, you prevent this natural process by taking away the extra moisture that would be drawn from the stem to the leaves and bud. Got it? Good! Moving on...

Make sure you hang the plants so that they do not touch each other (invites mold). With constant temp and humidity, the plants should be ready for manicuring in 3-4 weeks. At this time trim colas from the main stalk, and trim large and medium fan leaves (save them for making hash), leaving most of the smaller leaves sticking out of the bud in tact. Hang them up again and for a day or two, until 'popcorn' dry. The stems should snap when you bend them, and the bud should be dry, but not brittle. Now for the curing...

Trim all remaining leaf (save for hashmaking) tight to the buds, and trim smaller buds from larger stems. Store them airtight jars; air at this point degrades THC. Note- ziplock bags are NOT airtight! You could use buckets with an airtight lid like used for food and sauces and such, but the best containers are those glass jars with the rubber seal and latch. Just put as much bud in it as possible using light pressure. The point is to fill it as much as possible, so not too much air remains in the container. The less air, the better. To be safe, check them the next day to make sure it's still dry (did not 'sweat'). Any excess moisture at this point will invite mold. If it did sweat and is moist (soft) again, lay the bud out on something other than newspaper and put in a dry place to get the last water out.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is because of the various chemicals in the plastic.

BPA - theres lots of BPA free alternatives that ARE safe aka food grade.

There's no point in arguing which is better or why you shouldn't use one or the other if you don't know the reasons.

agreed.

LUDACRIS

Veteran

LUDACRIS

Veteran
i can throw up soma links & quotes al night long ludicris hahaha

check out his website though its chock full of award winning advice
http://www.somaseeds.nl/magazine_articles/index.html

WTF is "the plants should be ready for manicuring in 3-4 weeks" ???? lol

You are just wasting your time arguing with me as i said i dont care what you do and i am only posting the FAQ from reliable sources and i dont think any hard core growers/smokers would agree or prefer smoking weed stored in plastic bags but everyone to there own i guess but not for me.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree plastic bags are bad for long term storage.

im saying bpa-free food grade plastic containers are okay/safe (and practical!)

you'd probably be surprised at the amount of pot sold at dispensaries thats been stored in plastic buckets like i posted that have the end users raving about it being top quality and admitting their own inability to match the quality of cure. i know i was lol

LUDACRIS

Veteran
i agree plastic bags are bad for long term storage.

im saying bpa-free food grade plastic containers are okay/safe (and practical!)

you'd probably be surprised at the amount of pot sold at dispensaries thats been stored in plastic buckets like i posted that have the end users raving about it being top quality and admitting their own inability to match the quality of cure. i know i was lol

Its all good just do what you feel is right and it will be fine.
(good luck).
I am busy fucking around with my rap thread so i am all over the place at the moment with 5 browsers open.
Have a nice one.

LUDA.