What's new

Curing: Jars vs Baggies .. ??

C

Cozy Amnesia

Does either curing in jars or curring in baggies have any advantage or disadvantage over the other?

I ask because I may need to use a large baggie to cure my harvest soon. I just bought a safe, but unfortunately it just barley too small to fit my jars. So I'll either have to find some smaller jars or use baggies.

Thanks in advance for any help!

G

Green Supreme

Baggies are more porous than glass, so better chance of oxidation. Plus glass protects from damaging the buds. Peace GS

C

Cozy Amnesia

Do you guys know where I could find glass jars that are very short in height yet still large enough in capacity? Like the jars labeled "s" in the image below, or even smaller in height:

Glass-Jars-08574833635.jpg

benzo

dont use baggies.

one year i saved .5 of every strain i had. and put them in little individual baggies. and then put them in a huge jar. over time the smells all mixed. and you could no longer tell what bud was what just by smell :/

glass mason jars are the best.

make sure to wash and dry them out really well first. including the lid

HUGE

Veteran
how do folks go about curing like 5lbs? in glass? that would be a fucking nightmare burping 30 cases of jars. what is the best solution for such quantities?

b8man

Veteran
Yeah, burping 30 cases of jars of weed would be a nightmare.

or

That's what I dream about!

Glass mason jars FTW.

sneakinman13

Veteran
how do folks go about curing like 5lbs? in glass? that would be a fucking nightmare burping 30 cases of jars. what is the best solution for such quantities?

go to target. and loook at the jar selection.. i got jars from there i can fit exactly 1 pound in. and there about 20 a jar. hope this helps :tiphat:

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Check out this thread. After having just cured my second harvest in ziplock bags, I'm never going back to curing in jars.

As far as storage though, airtight, sealed glass jars are the only way to go. Cure in bags, store in jars.

most plastic will give off some sort of petro-gas. unless you go lab grade.

also

baggies create static which sucks trich off the bud.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
most plastic will give off some sort of petro-gas. unless you go lab grade.

Are you suggesting that ziplock bags and other plastic containers are not suitable for storing consumables? If that's true, I'd be more worried about food than bud, as virtually every food item I purchase is packaged in plastic. Not to mention all of my leftovers. I'd like to hear more about petro-gas and its dangers.

toastfighter2

You could more than likely find odd sized jars at a pottery barn(or your areas equivalent)on the cheap. Check target is also a good idea. Something else to look at would be food grade storage tubs from a restaurant supply store.
I have to say I got quite a laugh out of the 5lbs in 30 cases of jars comment, I could just see one of my friends trying to do that, and then have me show up with a couple gallon sized jars after letting them do it for a couple days.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran

lol
if you grow it right you dont need to cure it to ensure it smokes awesome. and icures as it dries! the only thing i keep in jars are my personal stash... everything else, when the stems snap/when its dry, it gets bagged up and is out the door. my technique is very similiar to soma's (minus the step of jarring overnight).

see here how soma prepares a harvest for a cup:
http://www.somaseeds.nl/magazine_articles/HowtoGrowaPrizeWinningCrop.html
When I harvest this crop, I surely do not want to dry it too fast, as this would make the taste and potency go downhill. I take all the large fan leaves off with my fingers then I hang it in a cool dark place upside down for about 10 days. I then check them to see if I can snap a stem. Once it is to the point where I can snap a stem, I start manicuring the fine leaf off the plants with my fingers using the scissors only to cut the stems. For a prizewinning crop, I must take all the unwanted leaf off, making it look as clean as possible. I then put it in a canning jar overnight to let it rehydrate before opening it once more for a few hours to make sure it is dry enough to put away. I am now ready to meet the competition, wish me luck.

that said, when ive had a larger amount of a single variety that needs to be stored, food grade buckets are killer and smell proof

picture.php

ibjamming

Veteran
OMG...I can't imagine having to store my bud in a 5 gallon bucket! Must be nice!

Maybe someday...

reckon

for the cure I use these things with my buddies outdoor crop (usually over 10lbs)
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pack-vacuum-storage-bags-95613.html

we just vacuuumed down till it was tight, we didn't go all the way and crush the buds, but these things hold a vacuum, and once filled you cannot smell a thing, so I KNOW they don't leak. but super easy to burp, fluff, and re-vac, even when it's stuffed with 4 lbs.

after the cure, we moved everything to large glass jars for long term storage.

"For mass quantities it is awesome!" --Beldar

LUDACRIS

Veteran
Never store buds in plastic bags or tubs. Why do you think everyone uses glass mason jars ???.
Plastic is a NO NO unless you want to be smoking contaminated buds.

Latest posts

Latest posts