What's new

Cultivating Zamaldelica and Jarilla de Sinaloa by the Danube

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks, Thai! I might not find what I'm looking for but growing these crosses is fun!
The cross with Jarilla is nice (at least the 4 small tester plants from last year), the clarity is kept with a lot of added positive vibe at the expense of lost potency/intensity. It's not a "trip" weed anymore but it's great sativa, that's why me and 2 friends decided to grow some this year.
I'm having high hopes for the cross with Kullu. For trip weed. The Kullus started with somewhat hybrid leaves, but progressed into 100% lanky sativa. The thinnest leaves and lankiest structure I've grown. At first I thought it's like the other sub-Himalayan strains - a hash-production sativa with medium-long flowering, but now it looks like it has more equatorial blood (from either south India, or from SE Asia). Maybe a hybrid of an equatorial sativa and a Himalayan sativa. There's definite trip potential!

yoss33

Veteran
Purple Mexican, one week ago, just pollinated and taken for transplanting outdoors:
picture.php

And now, a week later:
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Here are the ZamJarilla plant that was also transplanted outdoors, together with the pollinated (again by ZamJarilla) Zam clone. The ZamJarilla fell sideways during a storm a few days ago, has grown in that fallen position for a few days and so is not in its perfect pose now, when up and bending on a stick. It's got huge leaves.
picture.php

And another Zam clone, waiting for Kullu pollen:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And the Kullu's follow. Unfortunately, the male #4 which was just about to drop its first pollen a week ago, started producing a mix of male and female flowers after 4 nodes of only pollen sacks, and was discarded. The other 4 plants are so far sexually stable, including the male #1, which was taken out of the tent for about a week at very irregular room light, then brought back in with its top above the lights. Still, it's all in male flowers only. Here it is:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here's the dwarf #5, which is growing normally after the big plant #4 was removed from the cup they shared:
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And the lovely #2 and #3, a week ago:
picture.php

And now:
picture.php

picture.php

#3, which is the quickest to flower from the 3 females:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
It might be a speculation, but based only on the 5 Kullu plants present here I'd say that Kullu has 2 phenotypes, possibly suggesting its origin.
The first phenotype (plants #3 and #4) is taller, less branchy, darker in color, has some indica (hash and unpleasant astringent) in its stem smell, and flowers quicker and in solid way.
The second phenotype (plants #1 and #2) is slightly shorter, more branchy, paler in color, all sativa (pleasant metallic and mint) in stem small, slow to start flowering and very airy running buds.
#5, apart from being shorter, seems to be in the middle of the 2 phenotypes.
The males (#1 and #4) have slightly fatter and more "crude" leaves than the females.

yoss33

Veteran
The last photo of the Kullu male. It was kept in the room just for fun and to see if it will throw a pistil at some point, after irregular and weak lighting, no food and drying out from time to time. A firm male.
picture.php

Here are the 3 females outdoors. #3 (on the right back in the photo), which was the fastest to produce flowers, also has its seeds bulking faster, looks like they will be mature in much less time.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I just harvested the Kullus and the Zam clone pollinated by the Kullu male. Will wait a few days for the plants to dry, so that seeds separate easier.
Here they are a few days ago:
picture.php

#2, which was the first to stop flowering and start revegging:
picture.php

#3, the last to reveg and the only one that managed to produce some "bud" smell. Sharp, astringent, I think I can sense the anise in there.
picture.php

#5:
picture.php

The bottom parts of the plants remain, and will be left to grow.

yoss33

Veteran
The Purple Mexican has been harvested first, and I've already planted a dozen of its seeds around it. It's revegging happily.
Lots of resin, kush flavor and very dopey high of the seeded buds. High hopes for the autumn harvest.
picture.php

While the Purple Mexican is heavily PCK-dominant, the Oaxacan parent can also be seen:
picture.php

ZamJarilla:
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I tried all 3 Kullus and I'm very impressed. Super clean and motivating effect that has power. Tastes great, somewhat like Haze - sweet and woody. And all this from stems and leaves without any visible resin and seed covers with pitiful-looking resin. It makes me doubt that this is the effect of cannabinoids in trichomes.
#3 felt the most focused. #2 that I tried just now for the first and only time, as I smoked it all, is feeling the most spacey and dreamy, but still generally well-focused, and still very energetic and motivating. The flavor on exhaling reminded me of Purple Haze x Meao Thai. The Kullu feels even purer sativa, in terms of energy and motivation, without rough edge and paranoia.
If these plants manage to bring out the same high in November, even in late November, they'll be a winner, as they feel like December/January-harvest weed. #3 was faster to initiate flowering, so it has the most chances for having buds with resin in November.
Just thinking about real visible resin with the same potency and effect excites me. Autumn is going to be interesting!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Nice to hear it yoss :) Glad you like the smoke of Khalifa's Kullu! Hope the genetics can be fruitful for your breeding projects.

I tried his Kerala Chellakutti and it was great as well, strong, long lasting and thought provoking sativa effects, reminds me a lot the highs i got in Sri Lanka. Best wishes!

yoss33

Veteran
The ZamKullu seeds were the last to harvest and plant directly in the ground, but the first to sprout. It seems they didn't need any winterization. You can see the sprouts here, in front of the revegging Kullus:
picture.php

The seeds of the Purple Mexican were the first to harvest and plant into the ground but only one sprouted so far and it died because of draught. I water about once every 3 days and on every visit the ground is completely dry and the plants droopy from thirst. The mother is picking momentum after revegging:
picture.php

Not much progress for the ZamJarilla in the last 3 weeks because of the draughts. I upped the watering on my last visit, in order for the ground to stay most and the Zam2Jarilla seeds next to it, that are sprouting right now, to survive.
picture.php

picture.php

Montuno

...como el Son...
(...)
I also have 4 Jarilla de Sinaloa seeds left and decided to grow them for producing more seeds and then perhaps do a selection from these in the following seasons. I found the couple of Jarilla plants grown by me and a friend to have the most authentic old-school mexican high from what I've grown and smoked.
(...) (from what I could understand from the user Sinaloa - the Mexican farmer himself that has kept and brought the line to the public)
(...)
View Image

I also plan to pollinate the Zam mother with Jarilla pollen and explore this pure-sativa combination. Zam's potency and Jarilla's clean effect and flavour could mix well.

You are talking about Sergio (aka Zsergio; aka @sinaloa ).
He did the same (with the help of CannaBioGen) with the "narcohibridos" Chapita n' Talibana.
Jarilla de Sinaloa (aka Cola de borrego de Sinaloa is a landrace.

Last edited:

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks for clarifying, Montuno!

After 2 weeks, the ZamJarilla is still of the same size due to the draught, despite the 30 litters of water every other day. Now I started watering with 50 litters, let's see if it will grow more. All Zam2Jarilla seelings that sprouted died thirsty despite my efforts.
picture.php

The Kullus and the ZamKullus seedlings bellow them. The ZamKullus are vigorous seedlings, that seem to have developed deeper roots quickly.
picture.php

The Purple Mexican, which is at the spot with fewest hours of direct sunlight, which in draught like this turns out to be an advantage. There's one of its children surviving bellow it, but the mother got quickly wide and dense, so I doubt this child will manage to grow without any direct sunlight.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks, organic guy! I too can't wait, but the fun part is coming soon :)

Here are a few photos of the Kullus. And the still-small ZamKullus in the bottom of the first photo. The biggest ZamKullus are the ones in the shade of the Kullus, the sun (and draught) is too strong for seedlings.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And some photos of the ZamJarilla plant.
picture.php

This plant has extremely flexible stems that bend under the slightest wind. It reminds me a lot of the branches of the willows that grow along the nearby creek.
picture.php

The grayish tree in the right part of the following photo (above the decorative tree with red "buds") is one big willow. I have to take a closer photo of its branches and leaves.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php