What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cultivating Zamaldelica and Jarilla de Sinaloa by the Danube

yoss33

Veteran
Yet a week later, on the last day of October, ZamJarilla is going slower than the Zam mother but anyways already has some resin and smells sweet and spicy. An early sample taken a week ago was quite nice. Both the effect and the taste remind me of Haze. The effect is more on the Jarilla side, very clean, sharp and positive.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The Kullu are also going on slowly but #3 and #2 already have some resin and smell, so I took samples which are now drying.
#3:
picture.php

picture.php

#2:
picture.php

#5:
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss :)

Love the work you do every season there up north with your pure sativa selections and breeding.
The Mexican Zamaldelica cross looks lovely, your focus on Zamal/Thai selections is being fruitful
and your persistance to finish such long flowering sativas at your latitude and climate is encouraging and inspiring :tiphat:

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, dubi!
The long flowering of ZamJarilla is surprising me, I hoped that the hybrid would flower faster than the Zam mother. It's turning out to be more pure "sativa" than expected both in flowering and effect.
I've tried the first early samples of Kullu, and both #2 and #3 are superb and similar to their effect from the seeded buds in July. #3 is more focused and #2 is more dreamy, both very sativa, uplifting, energetic without being nervous. Very refined energy. The power of the longer-flowering #2 caught me by surprise this morning, seeing only very small trichomes in the sample, I made 2 big hits from the pipe and was pleasantly incapacitated for about 20 minutes, very dreamy start, all in the head without any heaviness.
And so, the Kullu continues to amaze me. I want to keep my final judgement for after I've tried it cured. But even this early, I'd say this is the strain with the most pure sativa effect I've grown. And it's earlier than Haze, Thai, etc. Only the yield looks truly miserable.
The small ZamKullu plants are also flowering very slowly. 2 were removed because of being males, and another 2 because of hermie traits, the rest (5 of them) seem to fall into 2 phenotypes: 1) shorter, faster flowering, with purple/red stems, Zam-like, 2) taller, slower flowering, pure green color, Kullu-like.

yoss33

Veteran
The weekly portion of photos.
ZamJarilla's trichomes are mostly cloudy now, despite the pistils still being fresh (only frozen tips). I was thinking whether the light morning frosts damage them or somehow make them mature faster? But then the Kullu's trichomes are all still clear despite showing the same pistil tips burnt by the frosts.

ZamJarilla:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Even the smaller "buds" are well sugary:
picture.php

Love the red petioles:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And the Kullu, not much progress since last week, only #5 also started to smell.
picture.php

#3:
picture.php

#2:
picture.php

#5:
picture.php

And one of the small ZamKullus, of the shorter red-stemmed pheno. Part of a taller green pheno can be seen in the background.
picture.php

G

What a beautiful show you give us each year yoss!And at this latitude,also having hemp around...Amazing!

Very interesting the smoke report on the Kullus!Eager to hear about the zam kullu result...

Good luck with the finish!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The more i see your ZamJarilla in flowering, the more red/purple Thai traits i see in your plant :)

Glad you like Kullu so much! I smoked Khalifa's Chellakutti and was seriosly impressed with its potent, long lasting and complex effects, with those unique spicy South Indian terpenes that are so rare to find nowadays in modern cannabis genepool, truly authentic and uncontaminated South Indian landrace traits, reminds me a lot the ganja i smoked in Sri Lanka a few years ago.

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, Syd!
dubi, about red/purple Thai... who knows what genes are lurking and will express in these multi-hybrids :) I find this ZamJarilla to be Jarilla-like in its bud formation - big fluffy buds of small stacking flowers that are almost foxtailing, but are more compact and are with well-developed sugary bracts. Here's the Jarilla plant from last year for comparison:
picture.php

And here's the top half of the ZamJarilla. Yesteday I harvested 2/3rds of the plant and will leave the rest to mature some more.
picture.php

I'm still smoking earlier samples with clear trichomes that with drying are becoming disturbingly clear and edgy. It's not rushy, but is anxious and as if raises blood pressure. Great for COVID panic, heh. The first smoking feels great, super sharp yet smooth sativa, but if I smoke more during the day, something nervous accumulates and I already had 2 evenings that for a few minutes I felt coming close to a panic-attack. I guess with curing this effect will soften and I hope the 2 additional weeks of flowering (since samples were taken) during which the trichomes became 75% cloudy will make the effect to have less of this subtle long-lasting nervousness. Or I'll have to mix it with some relaxing indica :)
Didn't have batteries for flash on the camera, so here's a final blurred photo of the top:
picture.php

herbgreen

Veteran
Holy Shit!!

Just in Time for Christmas!

Fantastic perfect branches galore......:D

Cure will def improve and bring out the best flavors and effect

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss,

I have experienced those very electric, anxious, coke type of effects from Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger Meao Thai leaning phenos :D They can be really disturbing!

Koondense

Veteran
Damn that's just half of the plant? Looking crazy good, also the smoke seems a bit crazy :) Reminds me of Zamaldelica and Thai x Panama highs, on the opposite spectrum of relaxing. Have a great trimming weekend!

Cheers

The more i see your ZamJarilla in flowering, the more red/purple Thai traits i see in your plant :)

Glad you like Kullu so much! I smoked Khalifa's Chellakutti and was seriosly impressed with its potent, long lasting and complex effects, with those unique spicy South Indian terpenes that are so rare to find nowadays in modern cannabis genepool, truly authentic and uncontaminated South Indian landrace traits, reminds me a lot the ganja i smoked in Sri Lanka a few years ago.
@dubi I totally agree with you here. The pure South Indian sativas have something really special indeed.

@yoss33 you did a great job with the Zamaldelica x Jarilla and Kullu etc.

Here my Kerala :

picture.php

Last edited:

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, people!
I'll trim the drying ZamJarilla before putting it in the paper bag after a few days. I have to let it cure a bit before judging, the Purple Mexican had some edginess in the beginning too, but is now extremely enjoyable. I like it a lot - pleasant and relaxed, and potent fresh mental high in the same time, not tiring at all.
@BobMarley, Hey, thanks for the Kerala macro. I think Kullu contains a similar south-Indian sativa, judging by the photos and descriptions of the Keralla smell and high that I've read.
Here's a close-up of Kullu #3, which I plan to chop on my next visit:
picture.php

And a couple more:
picture.php

picture.php

Kullu #2:
picture.php

#2 in the left half, #3 in the right:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The ZamKullu which are as slow as if they don't care about seasons at all. These are small plants but old enough, so their flowering shouldn't be delayed by immaturity. A photo of the top of each of them:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The other plants also have this columnar upwards flowering to some extent, but this plant looks like some sort of a wheat grass:
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Year after year, i wonder how you manage to grow such long flowering equatorials with such late flowering response at your latitude yoss.
Your will to grow and harvest these type of sativa strains there is really encouraging and a great example to many northern growers considering to grow sativas.

I think your selections towards those super cerebral electric sativa effects without ceiling are being fruitful in your own hybrids.
ZamJarrilla looks a lot like our old Purple Haze x Thai limited edition (just a bit less colorful) so your cross is evidently going to Meao Thai traits and finished product.