What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cultivating Zamaldelica and Jarilla de Sinaloa by the Danube

yoss33

Veteran
Yeah, counting the last days of the gypsie summer - 4 or 5 remaining :)
Hey, koko, wish you better luck next season! At least you produced some seeds for it.

yoss33

Veteran
After some sniffing and an inspection with the lens, I harvested ZamAce #1 and the Jarilla mother yesterday. They both look covered with white pistils, but inside the buds there are brown pistils, the trichomes are cloudy (esp. on the ZamAce), and the smell is not as sharp and fresh as it used to be.

ZamAce #1:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Jarilla:
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The Zam2Aces are emitting (still faint on #4) bud smell when touched, and on all 3 of them it's a sweet smell similar to the Zam smell, without indica/hybrid notes (skunky, fuely) that were present on the 2 ZamAce females.

Zam2Ace #1:
picture.php

Zam2Ace #3:
picture.php

The Zam x Jarilla plants, although starting to flower later than the Zam2Ace and Jarilla small plants (due to lack of light and lagging in development), were the first to emit bud smell and trichomes on small leaves around the flowers. Very attractive sweet flowery smells.
picture.php

The weather seems to be going to be generous to the small plants - the bad forecasts were corrected for the good, and only 2 days of rain and colder weather is coming. The first rain in about 3 months... and perhaps the first light morning frosts. After these 2 bad days, the weather will be back to above 20*C.

orfeas

Veteran
Orf, it's good you've found a way not to miss a season :) I'm confident you'll be able to find (and create by cleaning) a good guerrilla place, it just takes some attempts, because you never know how good a place is until you actually try it. There's a hose visible on your outdoor photo, did you try delivering water from another place (somewhere close)? Or a dripping container?

Hey yoss, sorry I failed to respond in due time, busy as hell plus olive harvesting...wonder how much longer I'll be able to climb up them trees :biggrin:
Your eyes don't deceive you re hose pipe :) that actually dictated the spot... it belongs to a shepherd who keeps his flock way below the spot thus making it pretty safe but not ideal in terms of sunlight for it looks to the north... next season I'll have to go further up the mountain and closer to the spring providing the water...till then I am happy with my little ID garden...

As for yours, despite not being near your usual beasts, it'll still deliver decent buds to keep you going till next term :biggrin:

:tiphat:orf

yoss33

Veteran
I have enough jars of the original Zam, it's my daily smoke :)
Here's the clone of it that my friend grew this season guerrilla style, harvested in the last few days of October, and the photos were taken several days before chop. My friend wanted energetic effect, and so harvested early, despite the mostly-white pistils and the good weather forecasts.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The good weather is continuing. We had only one day of rain/showers, without morning frosts, and now the gypsie summer is back.
Yesterday I harvested Zam2Ace #1 and the remaining branch of the Jarilla. The first early sample from Zam2Ace #1 was very good - positive and bright. The ZamAces have too much indica in their effect (they feel like powerful 50%-50% sativa-indica Dutch hybrid), but the Zam2Ace has very nice balance where the electric effect of the Zam mother is smoothed but there's no stone or dirtiness added, only comfort.

Zam2Aces:
picture.php

Zam2Ace #1:
picture.php

picture.php

Zam2Ace #3:
picture.php

Zam2Ace #4:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Zam x Jarilla:
picture.php

The small Jarillas:
picture.php

picture.php

And a couple of photos of the last few small Jarilla branches, harvested yesterday:
picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
All small plants were harvested today, most of them could go longer, but the weather is going for the worse, a few days of rain, and perhaps the first light morning frost. They all have some frost and smell, so I'll get an idea of their high.

Zam2Ace #3, which has a hint of fuel (weaker but like the ZamAces) added to the Zamaldelica mother's soft fruity (melon, mango) and spices (mostly cinnamon).
picture.php

picture.php

Zam2Ace #4, this is the slowest flowerer, with very similar smell to the Zam mother:
picture.php

Zam2Ace #5, a very small plant hidden bellow its sisters, has even more hints of fuel than #3, smells almost as fuelly as ZamAce #1:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The two small Jarillas:

#1, which smells almost like the mother - flowery:
picture.php

#2, which smells more like the father - very attractive fresh fruity mix:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The small Zam x Jarilla plants, which in general have fresh fruity smells that in some individuals lean more to the mother's and in others - to the father's mix of fruits.
One is mostly green (quickest flowering), one is with dark purple flowers (slowest flowering), and two are a lighter shade of purple.
A close photo of the top of each plant:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss :)

Congrats on another successful outdoor harvest in your hard climate, a pleasure to see you still keep your Zamaldelica selection in clone form from previous years and that you have produced and harvested your own Zamaldelica hybrids with her.

I'm almost sure the hybrid using an ACE Mix male is Zamaldelica x Orient Express, the vietnamese sativa side of Orient Express should produce a nice combo with Zamaldelica, hope you are finding the type of effects you are looking for. Zamaldelica x Jarilla also looks great. Hope you have had a high quality and plentiful harvest.

Best wishes for 2020! ;)

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks for the kind words and great genetics, Dubi!
I intend to keep the Zamaldelica clone till I manage to capture its spirit in seeds, so that I can sprout a new one whenever I want. It turns out it's not such an easy task though.

The ZamAces, and especially the Zam2Aces, are nice hybrids, all of them with pleasant uplifting high, but they all lack the electric edge of the Zam mother. Zam2Ace #4 was the closest, perhaps due to being harvested with all pistils still white. ZamAce #2, despite its thin pale leaves, is the worse with some confusion and dirty edge. I have 3 jars of it stashed to cure and hopefully improve.
It was disappointing to see that in every of the 4 Zam2Aces (which are 75% Zam mother genes) all electricity is covered in a smooth relaxing 'veil' that makes it a great powerful bright and pleasant experience but not as electric and motivating as the Zam mother. The indica genes carried by the Orient Express male seem so dominant in taking the edge off!
I will try one more generation of back-crossing, growing a bunch of Zam2Aces and selecting a male to pollinate the Zam mother.

yoss33

Veteran
I still haven't tried all 4 of the Zam x Jarilla plants, only 3 of them and the results are mixed.
The slowest-flowering dark purple one had a superb high - very sharp & edgy as the Zam mother but not so overwhelming/intense, more pleasant and clean. Unfortunately this small plant produced only two big tokes, so I didn't have the chance to smoke more and see what the ceiling is, but it felt very pure and ceilingless. A more refined version of the powerful Zam high. About twice weaker in potency.
Another one was also egdy, but in a more unpleasant, anxious and paranoid way. Considering how clean the high was, the effect can be summed up as pure anxiety and paranoia. Which is very untypical for Zamaldelica, despite the reports of how "terrorific" the high can be. It can be very strong but none of the 6 Zamaldelica plants that I've smoked was by itself paranoia-inducing. And this Zam x Jarilla plant, while being a few times weaker, definitely was. I had to delay my visit to my old parents, very unusual for me.
The third Zam x Jarilla plant that I've tried had a high very much the same as Jarilla. Which is a weak, clean, sober, focused, content and pleasant CBD high. Not bad but not what I'm looking from my Zamaldelica crosses.
The following days I'll try the 4th Zam x Jarilla, but so far I'm not sure when and whether I'll continue this line - the great plant is one in three (so far), the rest are not good at all.

yoss33

Veteran
A few weeks ago, seeing that capturing the Zam high will not be that easy when even tiny amounts of indica genes are introduced, I decided to buy another similar sativa to cross. I was having in mind the pure Ethiopian and the Ethiopian/Bangi hybrid to look into when opening the Ace site, but I was surprised to find that Ace had introduced more landrace seeds from other seed-banks and soon I settled on another candidate for a cross to my Zam - a landrace from the Kullu valley right in the foothills of the Himalaya. By its description it sounds very similar both in effect and in structure to the Zam and to what I want to have seeds of. I'm only bothered that it's a "landrace" (low potency and hermies) and that it is listed as finishing flowering in "November/December". But I'm willing to take the risk and try growing pure Kullu as well as Zam x Kullu plants.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I intend to keep the Zamaldelica clone till I manage to capture its spirit in seeds, so that I can sprout a new one whenever I want. It turns out it's not such an easy task though... they all lack the electric edge of the Zam mother.
Hahaha Welcome to "The Search for Trip Weed" my brother. It sounds like you got the same fever that I have. You have written eloquently about threading this needle in the past, and this quote above puts your finger directly on it very simply.

Always love your grows and writing.
:tiphat:
ThaiBliss

Edit: There is nothing like that Thai Stick electric nervous system "buzz". It is so hard to breed for. If it was simply a single gene recessive trait, it should pop out 25% of the time if crossing two different Thai Stick crosses. It must be more complex than that, cause it shows up so rarely. On the other hand, it's not just that buzz that makes Thai so special. It is a number of traits of the high put together to make it the best weed of all time. Hang onto that cut and keep breeding to it. You probably need to find another also. Best Vibes!

Popey

Veteran
I still haven't tried all 4 of the Zam x Jarilla plants, only 3 of them and the results are mixed.
The slowest-flowering dark purple one had a superb high - very sharp & edgy as the Zam mother but not so overwhelming/intense, more pleasant and clean. Unfortunately this small plant produced only two big tokes, so I didn't have the chance to smoke more and see what the ceiling is, but it felt very pure and ceilingless. A more refined version of the powerful Zam high. About twice weaker in potency.
Another one was also egdy, but in a more unpleasant, anxious and paranoid way. Considering how clean the high was, the effect can be summed up as pure anxiety and paranoia. Which is very untypical for Zamaldelica, despite the reports of how "terrorific" the high can be. It can be very strong but none of the 6 Zamaldelica plants that I've smoked was by itself paranoia-inducing. And this Zam x Jarilla plant, while being a few times weaker, definitely was. I had to delay my visit to my old parents, very unusual for me.
The third Zam x Jarilla plant that I've tried had a high very much the same as Jarilla. Which is a weak, clean, sober, focused, content and pleasant CBD high. Not bad but not what I'm looking from my Zamaldelica crosses.
The following days I'll try the 4th Zam x Jarilla, but so far I'm not sure when and whether I'll continue this line - the great plant is one in three (so far), the rest are not good at all.

I had similar experience with Panama. I crossed her with a very weak strain and received 2 phenotypes: one very reminiscent of Panama and the other heavy and psychedelic, I'm afraid to smoke it haha

Latest posts

Latest posts