What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cultivating Zamaldelica and Jarilla de Sinaloa by the Danube

yoss33

Veteran
Hello people :tiphat:
It's 2020 and the season has started! I'll continue this thread with this year's attempts at breeding the great Zamaldelica plant that I keep clones of. Here are the 2 clones that will be used for producing seeds.

picture.php

This one almost died from a russet mites attack, but bounced back:
picture.php

What's the plan:

28 ZamJarilla seeds were started (26 sprouted) with the intent to find a nice male to back-cross to the Zamaldelica mom. Another female will be grown outdoors. Another 2 females will be gifted to 2 friends to grow outdoors guerrilla style and on a balcony.

2 Purple Mexicans started, one will be selected to be pollinated by the selected ZamJarilla male, for a 50% Mexican multi-hybrid. I found Purple Mexican nice as medical weed, so I want to check if the multi-hybrid will make for a good relaxed calm medical sativa. The flowered mother will be re-revegged after harvesting the seeds and will be grown outdoors for a harvest of buds.

6 Kullu Valley seeds started (5 sprouted), all will be flowered and open pollinated to produce more Kullu seeds. A male will be also used to pollinate the Zamaldelica mother. Kullu is described as trippy and energetic, sounds like a perfect match for the Zamaldelica. One of the flowered females will be re-vegged after harvesting its seeds and will be grown outdoors to check if pure Kullu can successully be harvested here, with its listed November-December harvest.

Once I harvest the first Zam x ZamJarilla, Zam x Kullu and Purple Mexican x ZamJarilla seeds, some will be sown outdoors for testing the crosses (I expect very small plants due to lack of time).

So, this year's outdoor season will be with 3 big plants (ZamJarilla, re-vegged Kullu and re-vegged Purple Mexican) and many small ones of the crosses planted later in the season.

yoss33

Veteran
I have already culled some of the ZamJarillas, 19 are left, selecting for visual and olfactory similarity with the mother, so what looks or more importantly smells like Jarilla is removed. I already have 2 favorites, which have the strongest mixed-citric-fruits (like the Zam) stem smell.
picture.php

One of the cups from closer. You can see some short plants - I keep several of them because the one female that I want to give to my friend to grow on his balcony is good to be short.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The 2 Purple Mexicans:
picture.php

And the 5 Kullu's, one of them a dwarf that sprouted late. They are as vigorous as Cannabis plants can get, meaning as vigorous, big-leaved, fat-stemmed and smelly as F1 sativa-indica hybrids can get. They are grown next to the hybrids Purple Mexican and ZamJarilla, but these look like weak inbred lines compared to the (landrace?) Kullu.
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss :)

Glad to see you are resurrecting this thread with your upcoming projects for 2020 season.

Pleased to see you still keep alive your beloved selected Zamaldelica mother from the very first release, very touching.

I think a touch of good mexican sativa genetics is a good way to don't distort the electric cerebral effects of your chosen Zamaldelica during the backcrossing breeding project to her.

The Kullus indeed look very vigorous, curious to know your opinion about this line at the end of the season.
Best wishes! ;)

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you for the nice words, dubi!
I'm also curious about the Kullu. At first, seeing the big leaves, I thought that Khalifa Genetics might have had accidental pollination from another strain, making the seeds F1. But then I read that it is described as very vigorous, as are described other similar strains. And seeing that ZamJarilla's cotyledons are turning yellow, I realized that it's not the Kullu being too vigorous, but the ZamJarillas are slow because of being hungry and the Kullu feeling fine in soils with few nutrients. The soil I use is peat, wormcastings and perlite, no salts added in any moment.
The biggest and first-to-sprout Kullu, that's alone in a cup, is already showing male preflowers at the 4th node. If these preflowers produce pollen, I'll be able to pollinate Zam's preflowers and get some Zam x Kullu seeds earlier.
The 2 Kullus that have lighter-green color (the announced male and another one) are very branchy and the branches grow horizontal. The Zam mom (as Zamaldelica in general) also has this horizontal branching, though maybe not as expressed as the Kullu.
The Kullu stem smell I would describe as mint and rusty metal parts. This "metal" smell reminds me of Haze and I think I understand how it might also bring association with mushrooms, as in Kullu's description. It also has some citric notes like Zam.

justabluez

Veteran
Pulling up a chair! I'm curious about your plans for the Purple Mexican's!! I'm trying to get a Purple Mexican going....
Your plants look quite happy!!

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you, people!

I just gave one of the Purple Mexicans (#1) and one of the ZamJarillas (#10) to a friend who will be growing them guerilla style. Probably he'll give me some photos of them in the end of the season.

Here's that Purple Mexican #1:
picture.php

And the pale-green #2, which has very weak stem smell, but its top is as stinky as skunk with a sweet hash and coffee smell, stinking my whole apartment even before being flowered! I'm worried about this smell but in the same time I'm happy that I have the stinkiest (by far) plant in the pack to make seeds with.
picture.php

I plan to switch my growbox to 12/12 after 10 days or so, when my tomato seedlings that currently occupy most of it are mature enough to be transplanted outdoors. When with enough flowers, the Purple Mexican will receive ZamJarilla pollen and then be immediately transplanted outdoors, where the seeds will mature while the plant is switching to vegetative growth again.

yoss33

Veteran
The Kullus stopped being very vigorous as the cups are becoming small for the plants.

#1, the pale-green male with most-developed and most-horizontal branches, which unfortunatelly stopped developing its pre-flowers and they stay very small and will not release pollen any time soon. What bothers me is that the plant is bringing other very small preflowers that look more like female pre-flowers but these too don't grow. It seems I'll understand for sure what the plant is when flowering is initiated.
picture.php

#2 and #3, which seem the most hungry in their cup, both still not showing any preflowers:
picture.php

#4 (with female preflowers) and the dwarf #5 (no preflowers) in its feet (under the leaflet cut in half):
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The ZamJarillas were eventually selected down to 10 plants in the 7 cups. Here they are, numbered by the order in which they sprouted (same with the PMs and Kullus).

#1 and #9 in its feet. #1 is the only male so far, with developing preflowers that will soon produce pollen. Unfortunately it's not the plant with the best smell - it's weak and mixed Zam/Jarilla. Its leaf shape also has Jarilla in it. So, I'm hoping for better males, though this one has what I like in Zamaldelica - early and robust pre-flowering.
picture.php

Here's #2, which is the smelliest, with smell closest to the Zam mother's. I've been accustomed to this smell for the last 2 years, but it's been just recently that I made the association that it is citric lemon and morello-cherries. Before that I could only say it's some mixed citric fruits goodness. I'm sure other people might say it's something else, but for me it's all lemon and cherry now, heh.
I hoped #2 would be a male, but it's starting to show small female preflowers, so it's gonna be the selected plant to grow outside.
picture.php

#3, which has thin somewhat Mexican leaves close to the father's, but with a strong (as much if not more than #2) mixed Zam/Jarilla stem smell, where sometimes I smell almost pure Zam, other times - more Jarilla. It's just starting to grow some preflowers that so far look male. If it's male, it will be the chosen one due to being much more smelly and more lanky than #1.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
#4 and #7 in its feet. Both of these plants haven't shown preflowers, and both have weaker mixed Zam/Jarilla smell, so they will hardly be the selected male or female. In general, of all 26 ZamJarilla plants only few have the attractive stem smell of the Zamaldelica mother. Most had weak generic/indica (not pleasant astringent) or Jarilla (same but with a little floral/fruity sweetness) stem smell, or some mixes of these.
picture.php

#5 and the shorter #6. No pre-flowers yet.
#6 is short, thin-leaved and has the proper stem smell. Hopefully it's a female, so that I can give it to a friend who wants a compact plant for his balcony.
picture.php

Another short plant - #8, which looks good but has more Jarilla in its stem smell than #6:
picture.php

And #10, which was the last plant to sprout from all 26 AND the first one to show female pre-flowers. It has the proper Zam smell and leaves. In all respects it's closest to the Zam mother, but I selected #2 to grow outside because of the same but stronger smell and slightly better lanky looks.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
A photo of all remaining plants, the paler Kullus in a column on the right side, and the single Purple Mexican in the bottom-left corner.
picture.php

And the Zam mother, eagerly waiting, all in preflowers everywhere on its thin stems:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Unfortunately, the male ZamJarilla #1 started producing female pre-flowers with long pistils after 2 nodes of male pre-flowers that developed and almost dropped pollen, but the plant was discarded before that. For a moment, after almost all 10 ZamJarillas showed as females, I got scared that out of 26 plants I'll be left with no males.
Fortunately, the small #7, among the last 2 to show sex, is showing male pre-flowers. Not the best plant, stem smell is weak, not pure Zam smell, but under the loupe it looks to have nice trichome density on the leaves close to the petioles. Here it is with the 4 females left a few days ago. I discard all new-shown females because I don't need them.
The bigger #3 (left) and #2 (right) on the back row.
The compact #6 (left) and #8 (right) on the front row.
Male #7 in the middle front.
picture.php

Yesterday I gave #8 to my friend with a balcony. Tomorrow I'll give #3 and #6 to another friend who has a greenhouse, I don't know if he'll grow them both, he said he needs only 1 plant.
And this weekend I'll transplant #2 outdoors, together with the first batch of tomato seedlings. Then I'll switch the indoor lightnight to 11/13 to initiate flowering in the remaining plants. Being in small cups (apart from the 2 Zam clones), they are definitely waiting for it.

paisajedehierba

Hi Yoss,
I am sorry to hear about your hermie ZamJarilla. In my cupboard this week has happend the same history with AutoZam x (Zam x Ehtiope) cross. Two nodes pure male preflowers … than fem... . Zamaldelica seems to be a little bit capricious when it comes to outcross it with other sativa and sativa dom strains. I wish you good luck with the one male left out of 26 plants.

Attachments

• 04-24-2020_AZZE_hermaphrod.jpg
    04-24-2020_AZZE_hermaphrod.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 47

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks! I too wish you luck with these temperate sativas :)
About the ZamJarillas, the Zamaldelica mother is very stable sexually, though the line is not perfect, had 1 hermie in the 12-pack of Zamaldelica.
The Jarilla father hermied a little (few female flowers) under erratic lighting, so he also added to the temperament of the children. In general, Jarilla seemed very unused to artificial lighting and hermied readily when overgrowing the lights (tops receiving less lights than parts below them).
I'm not too worried about hermies, because I need these seeds for growing outdoors where plants go hermie much more rarely. On the other hand, if I now see that a male is not stable, I will not make seeds from him, even if that means I won't make seeds this season. I'm not in a hurry :)

yoss33

Veteran
A few photos of the plants that left in the grow box and are now under 11.5/12.5 light schedule.

The 2 Zam clones:
picture.php

Purple Mexican and the male ZamJarilla:
picture.php

ZamJarilla from closer:
picture.php

Purple Mexican from closer:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The ZamJarilla male has been separated, so as not to pollinate the girls. Only one starting-to-flower Zam branch was manually pollinated to get a few seeds as quickly as possible. The Zam clone will be pollinated completely when it builds more flowers, maybe after a week or so.
picture.php

This male is also showing a few pistils, just like its Jarilla father, and not as much as the ZamJarilla #1 male. I will make seeds from it, but will see how the ZamJarilla females performs outdoors this season. If they are stable females, I'll assume the sexual instability is only for the males in the line (something on the Y chromozomes?), which is fine for me. The 4 small ZamJarilla females I grew last year as testers were stable.
picture.php

And here is the Purple Mexican, its first preflowers were also pollinated with ZamJarilla pollen. While in veg, its top smelled pungently of hash, now the smell is turning sweet and slightly fermented, like old pineapple juice.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Here are the Kullu's. So far, so good. Vigorous, hungry plants. The leaves progressed to proper thin sativa style. All of them showed sex: 3 females (#2, #3, #5) and 2 males (#1 and #4) - perfect for a reproduction. The males will soon be removed from the tent and will wait for the females to produce enough flowers.
picture.php

picture.php

#2 and #3
picture.php

#4, whose preflowers looked female when small, but are now turning into solid grapes of clubs.
picture.php

And the dwarf #5
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Pleased to see you still keep alive your beloved selected Zamaldelica mother from the very first release, very touching.

I think a touch of good mexican sativa genetics is a good way to don't distort the electric cerebral effects of your chosen Zamaldelica during the backcrossing breeding project to her.
Hi Yos33,

I second these sentiments.

All the best in making seeds whose offspring have the traits you are seeking.

ThaiBliss