What's new

Colorado marijuana prices see huge drop, drug cartels reeling

Betterhaff

Veteran
I remember some of the unpressed Columbians from the 70’s. I’m sure these were grown from seed, from stock that was grown year after year. Sure they were grown in a very suitable environment (soil, climate) but I doubt there was much use of amendments and weed, pest control.

Some were better than others but the supply and quality is what determined the price.

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's not going to happen, cannabis isn't popcorn and pig feed - and hemp(seed) won't be as profitable as what's already growing in IA. Cannabis coming from the midwest will be weatherbeaten and either covered in bugs, bug shit, or insecticide - in addition to the seeds from ditchweed.

If everyone in CO was able to grow as much as they wanted outside, hemp russet mites would soon overrun the state, and if your plants are covered in mites it won't matter that you're somehow the only person in the state smart enough to think of growing a marketable strain and only person capable of doing so. Crop rotation would be necessary. What do you know about corn and alfalfa?

There doesn't seem to be any economy of scale. A large area of cannabis will be expensive to weed, water, protect from poachers, cure, and harvest. If you're going to invest that much and you're going to have to compete, you're going to grow the best, in the best place in the best way.

Dunno why you offer any of that, given that hemp, the other kind of cannabis, is widely grown in many parts of the world.

There's no reason to think drug cannabis will require much more hand labor than tobacco. It fetches $3/lb for farmers.

I suspect that many of the social conventions around cannabis will fall away with legalization. Nobody poaches tobacco & it's not grown for high nicotine content but rather for taste & aroma.

The black market has warped our desires & perceptions in ways we don't even understand.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think that legal outdoor production will revolutionize cannabis as we know it, and that it will take off in directions we haven't imagined.

There's clearly a future for seed varieties, just like hybrid corn. I can't see anybody plugging in 160 acres of clones, but I can see 160 acres of fem seeds. OTOH, clone varieties may well be used by high end boutique growers in a national market, and by home gardeners as well. Lots of bedding plants & perennial ornamentals are clones. They use production schedules & photoperiod manipulation in greenhouses to have 'em ready for seasonal sales.

I see huge possibilities for machine trimmed bud & also for machine processed dry sift products, even blended brand name dry sift kinda like Scotch whiskey.

It'll kill indoor production entirely simply on the basis of price.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I suspect that many of the social conventions around cannabis will fall away with legalization. Nobody poaches tobacco

You think cannabis growing is about to become as regulated as sugar beets and I'm warped. Perimeter security is a mandatory cost of doing business for commercial grows for the time being. Few species of any kind eat tobacco and then don't die you know, so not the best plant to bring up - and it isn't grown in Iowa. Not that tobacco can't grow well there - the product is inferior to that grown in more suitable locations. Labor costs? Let's go all the way and compare India to midwestern labor.

Dunno why you offer any of that, given that hemp, the other kind of cannabis, is widely grown in many parts of the world.

Drivel then, the ditchweed everywhere for observation over the years - even on one border of one of the elementary schools and the jr. and sr. high schools, the thousands of mostly Mexican seeds and some transplants in the area every year for 10 years, the casual daylight walkbys and exciting midnight missions, hash, extract, breeding, plus the slight education about the normal farming going on out here, the 20 years of pretty much hassle-free indoor growing.

In certain other parts of flyover country like out in the hills and rivers around MO, KY there have been some successful and some busted growers. People do get arrested locally for harvesting, but they're samplers of ditchweed, teens, transients. There's only been one serious outdoor grow that I found out about and it was great stuff all seeds and stems covered in microscopic yuck. Is it like that on the coast - isn't there some kind of an industry out there? Why don't cartels or more than a handful of hardcore stoners with bagseed grow here? The Mexican gangs have been here for a long time now - bikers, much longer. When people are arrested for cultivation here, it's indoors 100% of the time. If the police find outdoor grows, they don't tell the media. NORML said Iowa's state court cultivation laws as of 10 years ago I think were the most lenient in the land for big grows.

There is no similarity between American ag production and large scale cannabis until a combine that spits out buds is invented and Monsanto brings out the Roundup-ready Sour Kush Diesel Cookies. Argue about worldwide hemp as much as you want - it has nothing to do with my posts. Will planting drug strains in the same way that fiber strains have been produce a salable product with the best use of area for the lowest costs, or will spread-out Christmas trees that require tending produce higher value product and more cannabinoid per acre? Do growers of fiber and seed need to worry about insects and fungi at all? Do growers in Mexico and Colombia give a flying fuck about bugs, bug shit, fungus, or chemicals in their product? Legal cannabis for the American market should have to meet standards. Consumer standards if nothing else. Norcal has nothing to fear from corn farmers unless it runs out of water, just as no one fears Wal-Mart's Florida blueberries.

@Jhnnn Excellant post sir. If I may add.

And us old school will still have our little closet micro grows just because. We like growing and knowing how our smoke is cultivated old school. Just like my grandpa and dad, as well as many of you and others grew tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, onions, watermelon, canteloupes, peanuts....... LOL!
L
Sounds good to me. ;-)

Yeah whatever dude.

Yeah whatever dude.

You think cannabis growing is about to become as regulated as sugar beets and I'm warped. Perimeter security is a mandatory cost of doing business for commercial grows for the time being. Few species of any kind eat tobacco and then don't die you know, so not the best plant to bring up - and it isn't grown in Iowa. Not that tobacco can't grow well there - the product is inferior to that grown in more suitable locations. Labor costs? Let's go all the way and compare India to midwestern labor.

Drivel then, the ditchweed everywhere for observation over the years - even on one border of one of the elementary schools and the jr. and sr. high schools, the thousands of mostly Mexican seeds and some transplants in the area every year for 10 years, the casual daylight walkbys and exciting midnight missions, hash, extract, breeding, plus the slight education about the normal farming going on out here, the 20 years of pretty much hassle-free indoor growing.

In certain other parts of flyover country like out in the hills and rivers around MO, KY there have been some successful and some busted growers. People do get arrested locally for harvesting, but they're samplers of ditchweed, teens, transients. There's only been one serious outdoor grow that I found out about and it was great stuff all seeds and stems covered in microscopic yuck. Is it like that on the coast - isn't there some kind of an industry out there? Why don't cartels or more than a handful of hardcore stoners with bagseed grow here? The Mexican gangs have been here for a long time now - bikers, much longer. When people are arrested for cultivation here, it's indoors 100% of the time. If the police find outdoor grows, they don't tell the media. NORML said Iowa's state court cultivation laws as of 10 years ago I think were the most lenient in the land for big grows.

There is no similarity between American ag production and large scale cannabis until a combine that spits out buds is invented and Monsanto brings out the Roundup-ready Sour Kush Diesel Cookies. Argue about worldwide hemp as much as you want - it has nothing to do with my posts. Will planting drug strains in the same way that fiber strains have been produce a salable product with the best use of area for the lowest costs, or will spread-out Christmas trees that require tending produce higher value product and more cannabinoid per acre? Do growers of fiber and seed need to worry about insects and fungi at all? Do growers in Mexico and Colombia give a flying fuck about bugs, bug shit, fungus, or chemicals in their product? Legal cannabis for the American market should have to meet standards. Consumer standards if nothing else. Norcal has nothing to fear from corn farmers unless it runs out of water, just as no one fears Wal-Mart's Florida blueberries.

Yeah. Whatever dude. Meanwhile. Me and millions of others will be growing our own
Dank ass killer weed using all the available resources from great breeders and knowledgable botanists who freely share these resources simply because it only takes a few minutes of your time a week. And costs a few dimes a gram to grow killer mega dank, beautiful cured and tasty weed that will give you that relaxing high in the evening.

LOL! Whateva dude. Aint foolin know one. You gonna havta stroke harder than that bro to impress real growers.

Im su damn high i think i edited this stuff 3 times. Must be that stuff. I bought. What stuff did i buy? Holy crap? Ya mean? Cant be that Dinafem Amnesia. Or that DNA Lemon Skink? Hell
Might be both. Didnt i get effed up and mix up all the buds? OMFG! Thank goodness i am home safe and sound and not dribin or doin nuthin stupid on. This dirt weed. And thank you jesus for this bad ass hamburger and bacon and hMburger Nd more bacon samwhich imma bout ta make. ;-)

I aint bought shit. Its my hait. Haha.

Wu-tang

Grape prices soared from as low as $9.50 per ton in 1919
to $82 per ton in 1921
in 1924 they spiked as high as $375 per ton
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...bricks-american-wine-consumption-history.html

I was trying to find out how much alcohol increased during prohibition but because it was a illegal product their never was any records for how much it sold for, but theirs records for grapes?

That's a 3600% increase in price of grapes during prohibition because of supply and demand?

When prohibition ended the price of grapes returned to normal

The question is what is "normal price" for cannabis?

If cannabis has increased 3600%
that's a ounce of weed selling for $200 during prohibition to now selling for $5 a ounce?

4tokin

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...bricks-american-wine-consumption-history.html

I was trying to find out how much alcohol increased during prohibition but because it was a illegal product their never was any records for how much it sold for, but theirs records for grapes?

That's a 3600% increase in price of grapes during prohibition because of supply and demand?

When prohibition ended the price of grapes returned to normal

The question is what is "normal price" for cannabis?

If cannabis has increased 3600%
that's a ounce of weed selling for $200 during prohibition to now selling for $5 a ounce?

$5 per oz is very much in line with current tabaco pricing before tax.

idiit

Veteran
smug look on a grower's face as he states: "got $80/lb. for my seconds, but had to piece it out to get that price".

^ not so distant future possibility.

S

SooperSmurph

"Yay yay we're gonna be able to buy cheap weed!"

Not to distant future.

"Man... back when it was regulated people actually used to try when they grew it, this tastes like shit."

S

SooperSmurph

Except will it be? Probably not.

Dispensaries already cut corners in the name of higher profits, with lower prices, people growing huge fields of pot will be putting out... exactly what they put out today, a bunch of outdoor most people don't want to smoke unless they have to or it has been made into concentrate.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Except will it be? Probably not.

Dispensaries already cut corners in the name of higher profits, with lower prices, people growing huge fields of pot will be putting out... exactly what they put out today, a bunch of outdoor most people don't want to smoke unless they have to or it has been made into concentrate.

have you ever seen outdoor where you live that compares to the indoor ?? or is it all just shit ??

S

SooperSmurph

Hm, have I ever had good herb that was exposed to the elements and allowed to take on grit with every stray breeze... Nope.

Had some AMAZING greenhouse grown, but actual outdoor, especially done on a wide scale, is always going to produce inferior flowers. The concentrates made from those flowers? Delicious! The flowers themselves? Sorry I like my scallops free of sand.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Yes i think that seems to be the case sam ,
i gave up telling folks my stuff was outdoor , they never believed me,
doesnt come that clean etc etc etc ,,, but it sure can ..

unless your indoor is completely organic smurf ,, i dont think id let a stray bit of dust bother me much ,,
im glad to hear some use is made of the concentrates at least and they are being appreciated somehow ..

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Hm, have I ever had good herb that was exposed to the elements and allowed to take on grit with every stray breeze... Nope.

Had some AMAZING greenhouse grown, but actual outdoor, especially done on a wide scale, is always going to produce inferior flowers. The concentrates made from those flowers? Delicious! The flowers themselves? Sorry I like my scallops free of sand.
Unless you are in a laboratory clean-room you will find dust / dirt on everything imaginable, indoor weed included.

but my outdoor weed doesn't have any fuckin grit or sand in it. maybe yours does.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I really see cannabis sativa headed in the same commercial path that wine is on. Scales of production, that usually coincide with quality / individuality.

S

SooperSmurph

Unless you are in a laboratory clean-room you will find dust / dirt on everything imaginable, indoor weed included.

but my outdoor weed doesn't have any fuckin grit or sand in it. maybe yours does.
So you really think that there isn't a huge difference between a room with filtered air and the general atmosphere?

Apparently air intake filters are worthless and nobody should bother?

Stray speck of sand in a washed scallop vs a mouthful of grit in an uncleaned scallop.

Take an object, any object, it doesn't need to be sticky like cannabis, and place it outside in your yard, leave it there for 60+ days. Take another, put it in a box, move air into the box with a fan, through a filter, leave it next to the unprotected object, leave it for 60+ days. The object in the filtered environment will be vastly cleaner, this isn't "outdoor hate" this is a fact.

Latest posts

Latest posts