What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado marijuana prices see huge drop, drug cartels reeling

idiit

Veteran
believe it was a RAND study I read where they estimated the average cost to produce outdoor was $100, greenhouse $250, and indoor $500 in a legalized market.

Right now it costs (trimming, grow/harvest costs) about $200 to grow high quality outdoor (certified organic, climate comtrolled slow dry, hand trimmed, small batch cured, properly stored). $150 of that going towards trimming.

^ obviously per lb. ?

good post. mt.zion.

I don't want to jack a good thread. I'll lay off my prognostications.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Oh, and I don't currently do events outside CO where I need to bring samples, while it probably wouldn't be a problem to get them there, the risk of losing the ability to work in the CO industry isn't one I can take, so the Emerald cup probably wouldn't be for me.
That would suck to be stuck somewhere where they dont even have good outdoors. Good luck!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Promoting higher prices? Nope.

Promoting the sustainable reality of a regulated market.

In my version, everyone wins, big growers, little growers, consumers, only difference is a few large land owners growing don't somehow destroy the market for indoor.

Oh, and I don't currently do events outside CO where I need to bring samples, while it probably wouldn't be a problem to get them there, the risk of losing the ability to work in the CO industry isn't one I can take, so the Emerald cup probably wouldn't be for me.

I dont understand why that indoor thats grown artificially needs to survive , other than to support a few folks like yourself that make a living from it ..
Its too costly , its not as good as its made out to be compared to well grown outdoor , its just not sustainable in a completely legal market ,,,
perhaps lighting will be used in some cases in the future , but not for the full cycle , only to extend days and keep clones ...

The results you have seen with cannabis are based on the fact you live in a shitty place to grow it outdoors , sure its better indoor and in greenhouses where you live ,, check your climate , some of us have good climates and see different to what you are seeing ...

Jhhnn

Veteran
Yeah, this ORIGINAL post wasn't meant for a personal pissing contest. Time will tell if prices decrease.

In the long run, how can they not?

I think we need to consider that legal cannabis is a complete paradigm shift. Prices have been held high by the artificial scarcity of prohibition & limited access wrt MMJ. The State seeks to do much the same limiting supply w/ licensing of retail providers, but they're really at cross purposes with the intent of A64 in doing so.

How can the black market be reduced if the profit made undercutting retail prices is still very attractive?

Authorities have, instead, sought to maximize per unit tax revenue by retaining artificial scarcity in the market.

The proper balance between those goals exists at a much lower price point, something the State can easily promote by allowing outdoor cultivation. The first state that does will gain an enormous advantage in an emerging national market.

S

SooperSmurph

I dont understand why that indoor thats grown artificially needs to survive , other than to support a few folks like yourself that make a living from it ..
Its too costly , its not as good as its made out to be compared to well grown outdoor , its just not sustainable in a completely legal market ,,,
perhaps lighting will be used in some cases in the future , but not for the full cycle , only to extend days and keep clones ...

The results you have seen with cannabis are based on the fact you live in a shitty place to grow it outdoors , sure its better indoor and in greenhouses where you live ,, check your climate , some of us have good climates and see different to what you are seeing ...
Colorado is shitty for outdoor? :laughing:

Hot days, cold nights, dry air, conditions in Colorado are perfectly suited for drug cultivar type cannabis. While people in California are fighting Mold in the fall we sit back and watch the weeds grow.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Colorado is shitty for outdoor? :laughing:

Hot days, cold nights, dry air, conditions in Colorado are perfectly suited for drug cultivar type cannabis. While people in California are fighting Mold in the fall we sit back and watch the weeds grow.
so how come you cant find pot as good as the indoor in that perfect climate for pot you have ??
doesnt make sense you have a perfectly suited climate apparently , yet u grow better weed using artificial methods ...

doesn't your season end fairly abruptly at the altitude u guys are at?? and the latitude ??
do you think that affects the quality of the outdoor ,,
since you say that u have had greenhouse pot as good as indoor , so that seems to suggest your climate is not as perfect as your touting ???

you cant have it both ways mate ,,
you dont have a perfect climate to grow cannabis ,
or thats where it would all be grown ..

S

SooperSmurph

Round and round, facts are facts, controlled environments produce cleaner products than open ones.

Greenhouse = controlled environment, vastly superior to your fields of mold, bugs, and dust.

Are we speaking the same English? Probably not. Peace out, mic dropped.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
its pretty obvious your experience is limited compared to some others ,
you refuse to even leave your state to check out what the other guys have ,
and then say their stuff is mouldy , but u didnt check ..

your just a poser smurf ,, with limited experience but a large mouth ...
the future will show u how wrong you are ,,
i dont need to bother wasting my time with you ...

S

SooperSmurph

This thread was apparently about the effects of legalization on the presence of drug cartels in the Colorado market, but you can keep on trying to show off if you want, it's obvious that's what you really want, to play at being better than someone else.

Cartels weren't forced out by low prices, they were forced out by the large scale availability of legal product from dispensaries and private growers that was higher quality than their imported or factory farmed product.

Who wants to deal with a guy who probably has a gun in his waistband when instead you can visit a storefront or a friend? Not me.

So now that the thread's on track again... i'll drop the mic again, sorry sound guys, I know, they're expensive and that's super bad for them.

Jhhnn

Veteran
so how come you cant find pot as good as the indoor in that perfect climate for pot you have ??
doesnt make sense you have a perfectly suited climate apparently , yet u grow better weed using artificial methods ...

doesn't your season end fairly abruptly at the altitude u guys are at?? and the latitude ??
do you think that affects the quality of the outdoor ,,
since you say that u have had greenhouse pot as good as indoor , so that seems to suggest your climate is not as perfect as your touting ???

you cant have it both ways mate ,,
you dont have a perfect climate to grow cannabis ,
or thats where it would all be grown ..

Not to take issue with you at all, but the latitude of Denver is basically the same as Mendocino. Constraints on outdoor growing are related to water, topography & politics. Many of the more remote regions are too dry or too high for outdoor growing but it happens at smallish scale in rugged tucked away places along the front range in the foothills, the San Luis Valley & the Western Slope. That's particularly true down south. I knew of growers around Gardner as far back as the late 70's whose harvests were much anticipated by those connected in any way.

Probably the best place for commercial outdoor production would be on irrigated land along the Arkansas River valley in the SE part of the state. Pueblo county isn't really conservative but the politics further east are indistinguishable from western Kansas. Many suitable areas on the Western slope are similarly conservative but with a Mormon rather than a Baptist twist.

Generally speaking, there's little fall rain in those areas often with extended dry fall weather.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I will comment once more.
"controlled environments produce cleaner products than open ones."
FYI, this can be true it is not always true, I have seen greenhouses with much more damage from Pests and Disease then any crop I have seen outdoors. I put a bunch of the photos in my book Hemp Diseases and Pests, you can check out the controlled environments.

Round and round, facts are facts, controlled environments produce cleaner products than open ones.

Greenhouse = controlled environment, vastly superior to your fields of mold, bugs, and dust.

Just not true, experience has shown me that pests and disease can flourish in a greenhouse, easier then outdoors. And I did write the reference book on the subject. I spent a decade writing that book, the results of 30 years of my personal work on the subject as well as my two colleagues 50 years of combined experience. We were the largest importers of bio-controls in the Netherlands, beside Koppert, importing millions of ladybugs and other IPM controls yearly. We used all the IPM I legally imported. I had Koppert helping with the book, they are listed on the cover, they used to visit my greenhouse facilities all the time and we collaborated on several projects besides the book, where they tested some of their IPM products before release to the general public. I know pests and diseases of Cannabis as well or better then anyone on earth. And what you say is just not true.
-SamS

Are we speaking the same English? Probably not. Peace out, mic dropped.

We are speaking the same english but you do not know what you are speaking about, you are wrong about this. You have little to no experience with outdoor growing yet you are an expert that knows that a greenhouse will be vastly superior to outdoors, maybe you need to check out the pest photos in my book, many are all controlled greenhouses out of control, it can happen pretty easy. Much easier then outdoors. Don't take my word for it, I doubt you will, but anyone that wants to believe SooperSmurph, you do so at your own risk. This guy has no real idea, look he thinks that people will grow under lights, he doesn't understand that lights were a prohibition artifact, like high prices caused by the illegality, not by the intrinsic costs of production, as production can be outdoors in many areas.
And will be in the future, and the effect will be falling prices anyone that can't see that may be speaking the same English but they are in denial, plain and simple.
I deleted all my posts after the OP seemed to get tired of the pissing match, I will leave this one up. So posters can believe whom they want, but if I say superior Cannabis can be grown outdoors why would people deny that it can be done? If others say they have done it and seen it many times, it is not just me. I suspect SS is trying to rationalize his love and desire for high prices, so he can make some cash before he gets out of the trade, he has said so. This is not just a trade for me it is my life, and profits are not the reason I grow, or the reason most grow. I do understand that many do and I have many friends that are dependent on the income, but that is not a good reason to keep prices artificially high, or to keep Cannabis illegal to keep the price supports around.
Legalize, Tax, Regulate, and let the market decide what they want.
I understand why growers under lights are worried, as they can't compete in a legal world. Economics is a bitch.
How many here want under lights buds sold for whatever a gram when they can buy resin from the exact same clone grown outdoors and the resin is cheaper then the buds per gram? The future is clear, and the prices will be cheaper. And the cartels know this and are diversifying as we speak. Mexican has seen many improvements over the years, from trying to use better genetics to growing more unseeded, to more careful production and transport, to making hash and transporting that. I had friends that used to have the locals grow their crops for them and then transport the whole crop manicured but unpressed so it was in almost perfect condition. Unseeded, Acapulco Gold. More would have done this except it used much more room in the move, it was done by people that were proud of their work and wanted to present the product at its finest. They could have made more by pressing the Kgs and putting bigger loads in the same space, but I am glad they did it, the first sinsi I saw was from this field in the late 60's, back then no one understood sinsemilla, except a few, very few, growers and movers. He also put out the first real attempt at a grow book,
Complete Guide To Growing Marijuana by Dave Fleming
RIP Dave Fleming my friend....
-SamS

Jhhnn

Veteran
Sam's right, of course. Growing cannabis under lights is a historical anomaly, an artifact of prohibition, technology & cheap energy. It'll persist for some while in an atmosphere of imposed regulatory scarcity.

If you think prices have dropped so far, watch out when big greenhouse growers have recouped their initial investment. They can make money at a fraction of the price indoor growers need to survive. When cultivation is allowed to move outdoors that pattern will repeat.

In a world where cannabis was legal, drug cannabis might not be grown much at all in this country.

Check out this INDOOR tomato grow op.

Check out this INDOOR tomato grow op.

Promoting higher prices? Nope.

Promoting the sustainable reality of a regulated market.

In my version, everyone wins, big growers, little growers, consumers, only difference is a few large land owners growing don't somehow destroy the market for indoor.

Now I am sure you will pay more for the tomatoes grown in this controlled environment. But $3000 a pound? No? maybe $5 or $10 a pound and tomatoes are helluva lot more fragile than weed.
hydroponic%20Tomatoes.jpg

At this point I think you are just making stuff up and arguing for the sake of arguing. I don't need to and I wouldn't pay you a thousand a pound for your stuff. And I also get sick of how peeps always talking like they grow top shelf and everybody else grows mids or dirt weed. That's just plain stupid.

S

SooperSmurph

This thread was apparently about the effects of legalization on the presence of drug cartels in the Colorado market, but you can keep on trying to show off if you want, it's obvious that's what you really want, to play at being better than someone else.

Cartels weren't forced out by low prices, they were forced out by the large scale availability of legal product from dispensaries and private growers that was higher quality than their imported or factory farmed product.

Who wants to deal with a guy who probably has a gun in his waistband when instead you can visit a storefront or a friend? Not me.

So now that the thread's on track again... i'll drop the mic again, sorry sound guys, I know, they're expensive and that's super bad for them.
Indoor vs Outdoor can be its own thread.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I grow indoor. I do outdoor when it is feasible. 50 to99 plots and can say a few strains like cherry pie gsc and a Shiva widow x produce indoor quality but outside no green house and my ins are top notch and have taken cups by my partner.
I see the writing on the wall and am saving for a live of land and a de lamp supplemented green house that I will climate control.

My favorite of will not perform but the Shiva widow killed the ins of the same strain and were sampled side by side.

The gsc didn't look as good as the ins but the high and taste were better.

I love my ins but nothing would be better than varieties suited for my micro climate and grown to their potential.

Wendull C.

Veteran
It isn't going to happen over night but Samz is speaking truth and like any industry knowledge is power and we adapt or get another job.

In a legal market prices can drop to 500 a unit or less and I will just grow more. I don't need to make a killing. I just want a living and put kids through school so I will adapt or go back to surveying and civil engineering.

In vs. Out the out will win out especially when people can concentrate their crops and sell it to consumers as resin like sams said.

S

SooperSmurph

LoL, not my fault that central america stuck to the brick market. Local 》imports, all day.

Latest posts

Latest posts