What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Avi- I'm wondering if it is just a fad? I always come back to the basics-water/nug/fire..Vap is nice too.. idk maybe I'm just a OLDSCHOOLFOOL.

Smurph-thanks for the info and the pics as always

of course its a fad
just look at the prices

S

SooperSmurph

After seeing how much weight it takes to produce concentrates, I think i'm starting to see sense in the high price per gram.

10.5 grams of material yields just over a gram of shatter, those 10.5 grams of bud sold as eigths would be $60 or more, depending on the local market, and the hash made from them will be only slightly better if at all better than if it were made from carefully handled trim from the same source.

I'm all for clarity and truth in labeling, but again, considering the relatively equal quality between high level trim concentrates and bud concentrates, and considering the amount of weight it takes to produce concentrates, prices should technically be higher than what they are, especially for the best products made by the most careful artisans.

Far from a fad, it's spreading all over! Last year I'd be hard pressed to find an extraction tube, vape pen, or ti nail dabber system in the Midwest. Now sometimes I have the pleasure of meeting people who have them outside of CO and it blows my mind :)

Jbomber79

Veteran
no harm/no foul

no harm/no foul

I hear you and your right there is a reason it's a big deal and made from quality and hand crafted with care it's fantastic.. thats agreed upon, I think its variety thats spice of life..still like take to the flowers mostly..

After seeing how much weight it takes to produce concentrates, I think i'm starting to see sense in the high price per gram.

10.5 grams of material yields just over a gram of shatter, those 10.5 grams of bud sold as eigths would be $60 or more, depending on the local market, and the hash made from them will be only slightly better if at all better than if it were made from carefully handled trim from the same source.

I'm all for clarity and truth in labeling, but again, considering the relatively equal quality between high level trim concentrates and bud concentrates, and considering the amount of weight it takes to produce concentrates, prices should technically be higher than what they are, especially for the best products made by the most careful artisans.

Jbomber79

Veteran
midtowest

midtowest

idk I have been around concentrates a while, by the time it's midwest it's a fad.

Far from a fad, it's spreading all over! Last year I'd be hard pressed to find an extraction tube, vape pen, or ti nail dabber system in the Midwest. Now sometimes I have the pleasure of meeting people who have them outside of CO and it blows my mind :)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran

u may be right smurph

grams of bho sell for 50$,
that seems high to me. i can make grams for less than half of that.... and things only get cheaper when you do them on larger scales...
if i can figure it out why cant they?
if butane recycling systems are used the cost of gas goes WAY down, which in turn SHOULD bring the end product price down
& when i shoot tane thru keif (i make w dry ice) instead of buds or high quality trim i get very high yeilds per can of gas, thus bringing the price of good bho way down for my personal production stashes, which i don't sell.
also
lots of shit bho selling for way more than it is worth...

BUT
demand stays high
because it's a "new" way to get high
no disrespect to dabbing & all that comes w it (i love it!)
BUT
it's a fad

and fads never spread quickly, eh?
i know people in the deep south been making their own dabs from buds they buy, bought extraction tubes offline in 2010, been blowing tane and making shatter since 2011
so ya, it's spread, it's caught on, it's hella-popular
it's a great bud.
it's caused a new explosion in glass sales & created an entirely new section of glass art & dabbing swag, like dab rags,dabbers from plain glass to fancy glass to glorified overpriced dental tools to gemstone encrusted fancy dabbers.
not to say it will go away or anything, but it is a fad.... recognize.

S

SooperSmurph

Some better shots since I figured out the anti-shake on my cameraphone.

First Dynamite, which is Next Generation Seed Co genetics, Grapefruit x Hawaiian Sativa, first shot in profile and second slightly closer.

Then Smurphberry Jam, in profile and with a much better closeup than the Dyna, both of these batches should be on the shelf at Ganja Gourmet by mid May, unfortunately we're out of these two strains at the moment, but I did warn ya'll that these were teaser shots!

J

JimmyRow

Some better shots since I figured out the anti-shake on my cameraphone.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44946&pictureid=1053963&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44946&pictureid=1053962&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
First Dynamite, which is Next Generation Seed Co genetics, Grapefruit x Hawaiian Sativa, first shot in profile and second slightly closer.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44946&pictureid=1053964&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44946&pictureid=1053965&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Then Smurphberry Jam, in profile and with a much better closeup than the Dyna, both of these batches should be on the shelf at Ganja Gourmet by mid May, unfortunately we're out of these two strains at the moment, but I did warn ya'll that these were teaser shots!

Anti-shake...gotta look in to that...:biggrin:
Nice work

While flowers are legit, I guess for my money I'd rather have concentrates for the rest of my days, oh well. I feel like concentrate quality is hard to match, hard to tell what is really going into and coming out of your flowers in a commercial setting. $30/G of shatter is cheap in my mind and it goes a long way, when I see people in Boulder paying upwards to 70/G for nug runs.

Until they ban it for health concerns I think it will continue to grow in popularity, perhaps only with niche markets . I blew my 1st Butane run Halloween 2008 in a turkey baster, thought I was crazy, never knew the true power of concentrates until I moved to CO in 2010.

S

SooperSmurph

A shot of a sample from my boys at Stay Concentrated, while this variety won't be on the shelf on Ganja Gourmet, we will have 1 variety of theirs done in time for 4/20, Blue Romulan x Dynamite, which I know will be just as delicious as this:

"Crack to the Future" Green Crack x McFly, absolutely delicious, it was originally called McCrackin but I suggested the BttF reference and it stuck, here's a lovely dab shot:

The white line in the actual "dab" shot is a hair from my cat, shouldn't have set down the sticky dome anywhere but a hard surface, but I set it down on the couch before this shot and managed to pick up a bunch of kitty leavings :shucks:

Fike

Please take no offense to this, but a 10% yield is crazy low if you're running bud. I've been doing the bho thing as my only source of uptake since 2007 and consistently get yields between 18-23% with the average being about 20.5%. I just wanted to comment because that 10% number caught me totally off guard given the quality of material you're working with.

S

SooperSmurph

Please take no offense to this, but a 10% yield is crazy low if you're running bud. I've been doing the bho thing as my only source of uptake since 2007 and consistently get yields between 18-23% with the average being about 20.5%. I just wanted to comment because that 10% number caught me totally off guard given the quality of material you're working with.
Always best to be conservative in estimates of production, then you're never in trouble when you hit minimums.

S

SooperSmurph

Not to mention a variety of things can make your numbers come out seemingly wrong, such as using material that isn't bone dry, frozen vs fresh, etc.

Oh, anyone wanna peek at the 9g chunk of shatter I just picked up from Stay Concentrated?

Second shot with background light so you can see the lovely clarity, it's so good in the first shot you can see the Fallout Boy's outline through it! "Blue Gold Fly" 2/3 Blue Dream, 1/6 Golden Goat, 1/6 McFly, 100% delicious.

Oh, and it's been 7 days at "The Summer Home", here are some shots of those same plants:

First GDP, then two shots of Blue Dream following it, 30 days away from some serious weight!

Sooper I want some shatter! Wow your blue dream looks great man!

Right now I am vegging a Sour D., Chem Dog, and a Kandy Kush. Will try and get some pictures up soon. Not knew to this site just new name, been here since 2006!

Keep up the growing Colorado. Tomorrow should be a great day for 420, might head to Denver for the smoke out. I didnt get any CUP tickets...wish I did now....

Anybody going to Slightly Stoopid tonight at RedRocks?

S

SooperSmurph

SSmurph;
Nice 'Summer Home'.

What RH would you shoot for to call it bone dry?
Ty.

Almost 0 moisture is what i'm told is best for butane extraction, if he receives wet product he generally places it in a warm place under a fan until it reaches that point, then he blasts it, so imo and his it's this number you're looking for when you're looking to calculate yields.

No Red Rocks for me, just the Cup, taking the wife even though she doesn't indulge much, but deep down I know it's a selfish move, her arms will be full of SWAG and my hands will be free to dab :whee:

Status
Not open for further replies.