What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colombian Landrace Sativa 2012

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mesetas Sativa

Mesetas Sativa

attachment.php

To make a long story short I was able to get some bud that has been grown in this region for decades. I met and talked to a grower (the grower) who is in his 60s and lived in the area all his life. He started growing cannabis in the mid 1960s and said the seed came from another local farm. My Spanish is bad but I was able to converse with him to a point. He gave me a handful and I gave him some of my super potent crippy (seedless). He was very happy with the crippy and quickly put it away as he took off for his house (he works for the dude that owns our finca). Anyway the local bud was long skinny dark greenish fully seeded, un manicured Sativa. Did not look pretty at all, smell was nice but very faint. This was not compressed but still kind of flat, it was cut early as well. The guy said it was not his best by far but I was really unimpressed with it and his growing skills. I cleaned it up and got two nice joints from it, the buds crushed into a fine powder (lots of seeds). Even crushed still not much smell, it had a nice earthy taste. The smoke was mild and I was able to take big hits and hold them. Big difference between this and my city bought crippy. I really didn’t feel it at all at first, then after 10 15 minutes a nice calming euphoria came on. Still very mild but noticeable assent after ½ hour or so, the mild buzz went well with the natural beauty of the farm. The effect was nice but overall weak, I was not impressed with this bud at all. I burnt the other joint from the sample with the same effect, I thought it might make great hash cause the effect is nice and clean. I think much better can be cultivated in this climate and I planted about 50 or so Sativa seeds in a nice sunny spot at the farm (with the owner’s permission). I’ll be going back out to the farm this month to check on the seedlings and hope for the best.
Red rider

Last edited:

Raho

Veteran
That is so cool Rider!
That finca looks like it has everything you need to live. Even turkeys!
No "job" required, but plenty of work ;-)

Such a fertile valley, with just enough civilization to keep the girls happy.

Your friend's seeds simply cannot be judged by the smoke you got them with.

You said it yourself, immature. Easily turned to powder between your fingers so either completely over dried (which would probably make it harsh) or very leafy (which would also make it harsh. . . hmmm?) or Both :)
A dedicated but uneducated grower doing things the old ways.

As I typed this I realized that although there is a great opportunity to improve the results with those genetics, even in an out cross to another strain perhaps? It is also an opportunity to connect more with your friend. I would be sweet if you could get him to grow a few to show you how he has always done it.

Just an idea, and the main point is find out more about the old days from him which I know you are already doing ;-)

Wish I was there mate!

bigherb

Veteran
Red

Im happy to know your goin threw with this opportunity

Im very Curious to know what those Seeds you planted were from ?

I know you had some got some interesting bud in this thread which (you spoke highly of ) you aquired not long ago i hope some of those seeds were planted

Hopfully this older fella has other stock in hand or friends/ connect's with some of those Old school Gems

Keep us posted with your progress

Best wishes

1luvbigherb

red rider - you have no idea how jealous you've me, at least -

this thread has to be the most interesting and informative thread i've come across in a long time - if you start any more threads, be assured, i'll be subscribed

thanks for sharing the pictures, info and your knowledge - you definitely filled in a lot of blanks for an old viet nam vet

Siever

Veteran
Hi Kaiki,

If I understand you correctly when you say Panama is a stronger smoke, Punto Rojo is not a very strong smoke?

kind regards

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I grew some South American/Columbian this summer. The seed came from some brick that was sativa dom with the classic South American traits.
I had a Columbian male that I let go till it threw a tadbit of pollin on my Strawberry Dogshit I had about 10' away. I got 2 seeds off it, and just popped a bean for Shits n' Giggles. This Columbian (Pic #1) could have thrown a hermi but I didnt see one. My buddy could have gotten pollin from the same Columbian brick weed on his hands and touched the bud, pollinating it. But Im 100% sure the pollin came from the Columbian, whether it be from the male or the female.
Heres the Columbian - Top Cola dom structure ~
picture.php

Side bud ~
picture.php

Heres the SDS that I got the 2 seeds from~
picture.php

Heres that SDS Harvested~
picture.php

The 1 seedling I popped is vigorous and growing nicely so far. The biggest seedling in the group of multiple strains.
I think the SDS x Columbian will give me something special with monster yields.
I call it "Strawlumbian ShitBrick". LoL!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Red Rider,

I haven't heard from you in a while. When this happens, I'm nervous about one of my very favorite threads dying out. So... what's the latest news down there in paradise?

Someone mentioned to me that I should seek out some Colombian Corinto if I was looking for trippy weed, and I remember reading about it on this thread. I came back to re-read and look at pictures. Nice!

I recently was lucky enough to acquire some Punto Rojo seeds that I'm planning on growing in the next year or so. I have a few other gifts that I'm also excited about so I'm not sure exactly when. The interesting thing is that I was told that the seeds came from a mother whose calyxes turned gold. I remember that one of my favorite great Colombian strains I got when I was a kid was green, brown, red, and gold all in one bud.

Another interesting thing is that the seeds I have are a dead ringer for the seeds I got from great Thai Stick. They are huge, light grey, and a barely noticeable mottling. Actually, more like barely darker cracks that form irregular shaped chunks of seed. You don't see it unless you look really close. I think I was getting a different strain of Thai than most others according to the descriptions of other people I have been reading about here on ICMAG. Mine never had red thread, and the buds were very small that made up the skinny sticks that I was getting. I did see the red threaded fat Buddha Sticks later when I moved to California. Do you think there may be Thai in Punto Rojo's lineage?

Anyway, I hope that all is well with you, and that we will be hearing from you soon.

ThaiBliss

bigherb

Veteran
Im also curious what is the current status ,as this thread is of great interest an excitement .I hope Red rider you have found a comfortable place for you an your family an your closer to your Goals than when you last post

ThaiBliss
I did see the red threaded fat Buddha Sticks later when I moved to California. Do you think there may be Thai in Punto Rojo's lineage?

Anyway, I hope that all is well with you, and that we will be hearing from you soon.

Its great that you can speak from experience ,i appreciate your input

This topic of Thai/Lumbo has always interest me .But in my research ive seen the Details arent immenese on Thai not lumbo either but it seems more abit info is available .I cant get enough though lol

From what ive read an considering these Genetics are thought of to be part of Haze .Some older Folk/OG's have stated that the Haze of Santa Cruz didnt seem to have thai genes an we know commonly today's Haze is reportedly Thai influenced

When i spoke with charlie garcia indepth about Punto Rojo he expressed how he thought it was possibily from africa .I thought this myself about colombian strains in general considering the african slaves an influence they had on colombia

Sorry to carry on but its interesting to me that cannabis was thought to have traveled from Ganesh valley - india /banglaesh to N.africa an spain from spain to the americas .Than it was the spaniards who brought african slaves to colombia an the spanish an portugese also brought in African slaves to Brazil .which could be another source of origin or Maybe it could have be Indian genetics brought by the conquistadors

1luvbigherb

Sforza

Veteran
Wow Raho thanks so much for your kind words & outstanding pics, your always welcome at mi casa. A lots happened and life seems to be on an upswing for us/me. However I don't have time to go into details but we have new friends and they have a "finca". It's like a small farm just outside the city, about an hours drive. Nothings for sure yet but I think I've found a very nice growing environment for my Colombian Sativa. The fincs owner (my new friend) doesn't smoke or even drink but has no problem with cannabis. He said I could plant some there but I only get a chance to go to the finca every 3 or 4 months.

Red, I have enjoyed reading your thread. I spent a good amount of time in Santa Marta in the last 70's and your pictures really brought back memories.

Your mentioning of the finca also brought back memories. We used to talk about the finca de Minca, when I was in Santa Marta.

I loved the Santa Marta gold, but when I got some of that punta roja, dark chocolate colored with the red hairs, it was far stronger than the gold.

Sforza

Veteran
I hope the DAS did not bust your ras. I had those boys come into my hotel room real early in the morning on the day I was flying out one day and they gave the room a real good going over, but luckily we had been warned and everything stashed away where they could not find it.

Stay safe my friend.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I grew some South American/Columbian this summer. The seed came from some brick that was sativa dom with the classic South American traits.
I had a Columbian male that I let go till it threw a tadbit of pollin on my Strawberry Dogshit I had about 10' away. I got 2 seeds off it, and just popped a bean for Shits n' Giggles.
Heres the Columbian - Top Cola dom structure ~
View Image

Side bud ~
View Image

Heres the SDS that I got the 2 seeds from~
View Image

Heres that SDS Harvested~
View Image

The 1 seedling I popped is vigorous and growing nicely so far. The biggest seedling in the group of multiple strains.
I think the SDS x Columbian will give me something special with monster yields.
I call it "Strawlumbian ShitBrick". LoL!

Heres that Strawlumbian Shitbrick - Flowering Week 1 ~
picture.php

picture.php

She has the Columbian look to her leaves, with the branchy structure of the Strawberry Dogshit. Nice looking plant so far.

bushweed

Veteran
Sorry to carry on but its interesting to me that cannabis was thought to have traveled from Ganesh valley - india /banglaesh to N.africa an spain from spain to the americas .Than it was the spaniards who brought african slaves to colombia an the spanish an portugese also brought in African slaves to Brazil .which could be another source of origin or Maybe it could have be Indian genetics brought by the conquistadors

Hi bigherb, you might also remember that elmanito's research suggested that cannabis had been introduced into Colombia from Borneo by American Pharmaceutical companies wanting new land to grow their drug cultivars. This sugests that Indonesian genetics may have populated Colombia (since the largest part of Borneo is the Indonesian province of Kalimantan), which is similar to Thai genetics, but more equatorial like Colombia.

“Marijuana arrived in Colombia thanks to the aid of the USA in 1930. Seven years before the USA made Marijuana illegal.. In 1930 the department of agriculture of the United States (USDA) created a project to promote the different uses of marijuana. United States knew that marijuana had immense medicinal potential and industrial. The USA did not want to use American lands so they decided to go to Colombia to develop the project. The Marijuana utilized for this project was brought from The Island of Borneo. Borneo and Colombia are very similar countries in question of environment. Both countries are situated in tropical rainy forests, the perfect environment to grow Marijuana and for this reason the USA chose Colombia for the project. Colombia is a very tropical country. In1937 the USA made Marijuana illegal. The projects were canceled. The gringos that were working in Colombia on the project had to return but they never destroyed the plants. They left the ones that were working with in Colombia.”
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3678826&postcount=31

Also agree that some cultivars must have predated the building of the panama canal, not only via African slaves, but also the European colonists who took hemp everywhere they went, and like the case when Joseph Banks brought Cannabis Indica instead of sativa to Australia, this may have occurred with the Conquistadors. I mean can anyone tell the difference between hemp and South Indian, Nepalese or Thai strains grown close together?

Then also like in the Carribean Islands where indentured Indian farmers brought drug cultivars (as did Chinese gold prospectors and railway builders the world over) suggests multiple sources and entry routes. This would tie in with a conversation I had with Charlie where he said he couldn't figure out where the Mangobiche came from, but that it was significantly different to other Colombian cultivars such as Punto Rojo, Santa Marta Gold, Corinto, lowland Reds etc.

Also not out of this world to think that cannabis may have predated Spanish colonization, that the Indios who were the first migrants to the New World thousands of years ago, may just have brought cannabis with them, since they, like cannabis, originated in Asia.

So my bet is that there were multiple entry points for the introduction of cannabis to Colombia, from antiquity up until as recently as 1977 when the highland gold strain - blue sky blonde - was bred from imported thai stick genetics.

"the Arhuaco Indians in the higher altitudes are growing an even more potent variety of pot: Mona (blond) plants so pale that they look bleached. The Cielo Azul heights produce a pale plant known as Blue Sky Blond, developed as a hybrid two years ago with seeds from Thailand."
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=799845&postcount=1

peace, bushy

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Interesting talk here. It is likely that the South American genepool is a mishmash of sorts, originating in different corners of the globe.

We have genetic evidence linking Colombian strains to West Africa and I'm inclined to think that was the biggest source of genetics in Brazil and Colombia. Especially the red and black strains like manga rosa, punto rojo and colombian black.

Another factual source is East India, but these strains would have had a bigger initial impact in the British Caribbean. I don't know which strains were introduced by the Spanish but the English soon realized that the climate in Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean was ill suited for European hemp, which they needed to build sails and ropes, as well as clothes. They started importing Indian farmhouse genetics that were better suited for the tropical climate, later thousands of Indian coolies were brought over and in all likely hood they brought some seeds with them as well.

These two sources we can be quite sure of, further speculation is a bit of a stretch but the Spanish also had tight connections to island South East Asia, with ships sailing regularly between the Philippines islands and Acapulco.. go figure! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_galleon

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Red rides

Red rides

In conclusion, I am closing this thread because I don’t believe there is and pure sativa to be found here.
That is not to say that Colombia still doesn’t produce world class gourmet cannabis, it’s just not pure sativa. There is so many strains here to try to count them would be like counting the stars. I’ve had hundreds of samples from hundreds of regions over the years as well as growing many strains I grew myself that I can honestly say. The best effect for me comes from the plants grown at a high to medium altitude, regardless of its color or seed content. For me the ultimate effect is a very euphoric clean finishing all around sensation. I think that this effect comes from hybrid plants grown out under the high altitude tropical sun. So I’m closing this thread and starting a new one on my next grows at the finca this year. Thank you all so much for all your wonderful (and helpful) comments and blessings. Now back to the finca!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Peace from Colombia!

Last edited:

Chomba64

Veteran
This has been an interesting thread. Good luck with your ventures... Peace
PS... Keep looking as they are there and are difficult to find...