What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Tree's

DJM

Which brings to to my next question for OP. I assume with a solid canopy you are not doing any defoliating?

That has been my concern with leaf plucking, the droplet of moisture that beads up inside the bud is a great place for mold to take hold.

Im defoliating now...the canopy makes it very difficult and a lengthy process , but isles cost money, id rather work harder and maximize every sq foot of the room..since im on drippers isles really aren't necessary..its definitely not for every one..the trellis is 2 - 5 x 30s connected in the middle..when I defoliate, I untie about 3 feet between them , on the top and bottom trellis, pop up between the plants and work around that area, tie it back up and keep moving down..i also do the same around the parameter...takes a solid 8 hours to do the room, an isle would make it easier, but it would cost me a good 5 lbs per run from the loss of canopy...im no stranger to hard work, so I don't mind it..I do one major defoliating at day 18..i make sure that I pull down on the fan and take the entire stem off..at this stage , there is no flower, so the base of the fan is exposed to air and dries out..rot is a non issue....then I do another one at the start of flush..also pulling the fan down to make sure no dead pieces are left..i never pull fans from colas or tops, only from the secondary level of the canopy... below the top 10-12 inches..so its not an issue..if I pulled fans out of a cola, it may make it more susceptible to rot...plucking at the start of flush, opens the plants up, allowing more air to flow through them..At the same time I usually drop my temps and rh, so it makes rot really no concern

hope that clears it up

DJM

Can you please explain how you use the trellis?

sure. day 1 of flower I put the first layer trellis on..i lay it right on top, at the same level as the majority of my tops..usually they are all even, but if any are popping above the majority, I weave them through a farther hole in the trellis, making them all level...one can level any canopy regardless how many strains like this..first grow posted had like 5 diff strains and you can look back and see how leveled it is

day 5-7 of flower , when the tops are roughly 10 inches above the first layer of trellis, I put the second layer on..about 10-12 inches above the first layer, strain dependent...at that point the canopy has been leveled by the first layer and left to grow naturally up and through the second layer..if I need a third layer it gets put on around day 12, if not its left with 2 layers

the trellis is stabled into the wall on all sides, and tied together in the center, making it as tight as possible, guitar string tight...when laying the second or third later, I maneuver through the canopy in the same manner I described for defoliating in the previous post..its hard work , but allows me to use every sq foot of the room.. maximizing my space and lighting

hope that helps

DJM

I wanted to mention something else about my rooms..that surely many will scoff at..but I never see anyone doing it so I wanted to touch on it a bit..i gladly welcome any skepticism

i run a 5.5x5.5 footprint per hood..roughly 30 sq ft per 1kw..my canopy is roughly 360 sq feet, lit by 12kw

now there is a lot of misinformation going around on what the ideal "watts per sq foot" is and sq footage of the canopy per 1kw...as well as how close the bulb has to be to the plant..a lot of people think you need to run a 4x4 canopy per 1kw and have over 50 watts per sq foot to get yield and/or quality...this is absolute non sense and is something that gets perpetuated a lot and needs to be demystified..ive been saying for over a decade, 3x3s are meant for 400 watters, 4x4s are meant for 600 watters, 5x5s and up are meant for 1000 watters

now the reason why people think they cant utilize 5x5 or more per 1kw, is A. they hang their hoods way too low and/or B. they are running glass in their hoods...both are counter productive ime..im a firm believer in running open hoods, bolted as high as possible to the roof and never moved..ive ran as high as 6x6 per 1000 watter before and gotten as much as 2.72 pounds from 1 plant under 1 light...how many sq feet the hood can cover is in direct relation to the type of hood, and how high you hang it..higher you hang , larger area it covers..basic..I use the hoods I use because they throw a larger, more even footprint than any hood ive seen or used..with no hotspots what so ever..anyone who has ever ran vertizontals can attest to this and they usually run nothing else after

id like to use this picture to prove my point,,,these hood are 4 feet across..they are on 5.5 x5.5 footprints...notice how the tops dead center between the hoods are about the same size as the tops are directly under the light, even 4 feet down to the bottom..these plants were over 6 feet tall and 5 feet in diameter

picture.php

running 30 sq feet per 1kw is nearly twice as large as the 16sq 4x4 that many people run per kw....if I ran a sog under each light, I could easily do 3 pounds or more a light with this large a footprint.., the less plants per light, the harder it is to yield..and even still I can do 2.5, partly due to how I maximize my sq footage per light...if you are running a 4x4 per kw, take youre glass out, raise youre hood and run a 5x5, ill guarantee youre yield will jump atleast 25% if not more

hope this helps someone out there and shows people that with growing, there is no wrong or right, there is no rule of thumb,,think outside of the box and anything is possible

N

noyd666

they still sell those old style hoods down here in oz, called chinaman hats. always thought they would be good coverage.

TheArchitect

Veteran
I'm running a 5x5 footprint.

Definetly plenty of light, especially since I can boost it to 1150 if I want.

I'm pretty sure we are long lost brothers lol, I do a bunch of 'unconventional' stuff the canna community scoff at but science backs up. I used to run my hydro solution at 75f, never got rot. I have been preaching about vpd for a while, though it usually falls on deaf ears, glad you showed the results. I never run off nutrient solution, instead I do saturated media extracts(look that up if you don't do it already) to determine what my inputs need to be to keep a stable ec, and I water just enough to keep my media evenly moist.

So much mis-info in the canna industry, almost makes me want for regulation, almost.

Webster10

'
you will be fine, just keep youre temps in the right range in relation to those rh levels and you will be good...definitely make sure you have a ton of air circulation...a smart man once said, if you think you have enough air circulation, double it..im a firm believer in that
I should have also mentioned an oscillating fan is in there as well. I'm also going to attach a box fan on the roof blowing directly downwards. The temperature is staying between 65-80F. I am still nervous and think a dehue would cost nothing compared to losing a crop to mold.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I wanted to mention something else about my rooms..that surely many will scoff at..but I never see anyone doing it so I wanted to touch on it a bit..i gladly welcome any skepticism

i run a 5.5x5.5 footprint per hood..roughly 30 sq ft per 1kw..my canopy is roughly 360 sq feet, lit by 12kw

now there is a lot of misinformation going around on what the ideal "watts per sq foot" is and sq footage of the canopy per 1kw...as well as how close the bulb has to be to the plant..a lot of people think you need to run a 4x4 canopy per 1kw and have over 50 watts per sq foot to get yield and/or quality...this is absolute non sense and is something that gets perpetuated a lot and needs to be demystified..ive been saying for over a decade, 3x3s are meant for 400 watters, 4x4s are meant for 600 watters, 5x5s and up are meant for 1000 watters

now the reason why people think they cant utilize 5x5 or more per 1kw, is A. they hang their hoods way too low and/or B. they are running glass in their hoods...both are counter productive ime.

Agree totally, and great post!
Wondering if you have ever tried vertical/bare bulbs, which have always given me better results than hoods.
Bulbs can be really close to the plants. Just wondering, not being critical, as your results speak for themselves.

F

Fields~of~Green

if you wanted to be really accurate leaf temp readings would be more accurate especially if your going extreme high heat and humidity

Don how old were the Jack flash beans how many did you have to select from

You back at the cabanna too mate?

:tiphat:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
damn buddy. you are making it look easy lol. thats an intensely productive garden of healthy looking herbs, im sitting in.

DJM

they still sell those old style hoods down here in oz, called chinaman hats. always thought they would be good coverage.

yeah they are old school. not many growers run them. I high recommend them

these are the ones with the bulb positioned horizontally across the hood. many of the old ones have it positioned vertically..ive also ran the ones that are hung vertically, they still did better than any boxed hood ive ran, but not as good or as wide a spread as vertizontals...sun system vertizontals are the best ones, they are the ones that are silver on top, not white, and made out of steel and not plastic like the white ones

DJM

I'm running a 5x5 footprint.

Definetly plenty of light, especially since I can boost it to 1150 if I want.

I'm pretty sure we are long lost brothers lol, I do a bunch of 'unconventional' stuff the canna community scoff at but science backs up. I used to run my hydro solution at 75f, never got rot. I have been preaching about vpd for a while, though it usually falls on deaf ears, glad you showed the results. I never run off nutrient solution, instead I do saturated media extracts(look that up if you don't do it already) to determine what my inputs need to be to keep a stable ec, and I water just enough to keep my media evenly moist.

So much mis-info in the canna industry, almost makes me want for regulation, almost.

hey brother :tiphat:

words of wisdom. nice to see some else bending the "rules" of growing herb..i have played with saturated media extracts a little bit. impressed you know what that is. that's more of a technique from standard horticulture than from cannabis forums...respect..ive learned more from studying legit horticulture and reading university studies than I have from any forum..why many growers think the information from standard horticulture practices doesn't cross over to growing cannabis is beyond me..they would listen to random people on forums before a plant scientist with degrees in plant biology and decades of first hand experience doing universary studies..which is funny as hell...ive worked in areas of legit commercial horticulture, with many people that would laugh at a lot of the myths that get perpetuated by cannabis growers...ive always tried to approach growing from a horticultural stand point

DJM

So much great info here! What sort of veg lighting are you running?

thanks man...that's what its all about..just trying to give back to the community

I believe I mentioned lighting before...but I use t5s for the first two weeks of veg..then they are under 1kws..i veg under hps's exclusively . I always have. Ive tried both mh and hps and IME you get much better growth rates, vigor and plant health under hps's. I do keep my mothers under mh's though

DJM

I should have also mentioned an oscillating fan is in there as well. I'm also going to attach a box fan on the roof blowing directly downwards. The temperature is staying between 65-80F. I am still nervous and think a dehue would cost nothing compared to losing a crop to mold.

If you are uncomfortable with it..Id say run a dehuey as a safety net..This style of growing is not for everyone..As there are MANY variables that dictate its success or the lack of...Genetics, outside rh, wind, temps, co2, watering schedules, nutrients, canopy management, plant size..all play crucial parts...In my rooms and how I run them, I don't have issues..But that's not to say you wont either, as I have no idea how youre room is..So I don't want to tell you to do it, if I don't know the design of your room and all the other variables involved..If I just told you to run high rh without knowing the details of youre room, and guarantee you success in doing so, that would be bad advice...because as mentioned earlier , I know people that get rot at 50-60% just because their rooms are badly designed

DJM

pardon me if i missed it, but how long do you flush your plants usually?

I always flush for 2 weeks..the difference between 1 week flushed flowers and 2 weeks flushed is quite different..some say you loose yield if you flush for 2 weeks, this is not true at all..however if you flush for 1, you WILL loose quality

DJM

Totally!! i feel the same way...good shit man:tiphat:

whats up brother! good to see you here..we are on the same page..when you guerilla grow and have to hike 2 miles just to tend the patch, the ideal of loosing weight just to make it easier to maintain doesn't make sense..we are no strangers to hard work..ive seen people waste as much as half the sq footage of the room just for isles and walk ways..then go rent another house because they want to run more lights, instead of adding more in the place they already have...its really hilarious