What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone of a Clone of a... Degredation Experiment

beta

Veteran
I know my Northern lights x Cinderella 99 was bomb when it was first grown from seed but the clone of it is average. I have ran her 8 times to try to recreate that first bling I saw. I have never come even close since.

My guess, being familiar with your setup? The first time you ran it, you didn't have root aphids; Each subsequent time since, you have.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a clone will not be quite as vigorous and the seed plant it was taken from, possibly because clones dont have a taproot and are already mature. i actually think this is an advantage, especially with stretchy strains. i prefer to work with clones and find them easier to manage.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Strongest is the seed .. Then if you clone from the seeded plant that is your best senario .If you start to clone from clones you can do this but the clones get weaker and weaker , Hence the three/one leaves when you grow clone after a few takes lol peace out Headband707

beta

Veteran
If you start to clone from clones you can do this but the clones get weaker and weaker

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? There is no known mechanism by which clones (and clones of clones of clones) can get 'weaker' simply through the process of cloning; Before you make a claim like that you'll need to explain how it'd even be possible.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Do you have any evidence to support this claim? There is no known mechanism by which clones (and clones of clones of clones) can get 'weaker' simply through the process of cloning; Before you make a claim like that you'll need to explain how it'd even be possible.
What do you mean do I have evidence of this LOL LOL.. Yeah growin for years lol.. Bra you mean to tell me that when your cloning from clones that it's all good and you never get degration? LOL .. okay then,, which strain is doing this for you? I can tell you that there are strains that do better then others but do they get degraded DAMN RIGHTS they do lol..I'm really happy for the ppl that don't feel the degration from their bud but that is not me .. Not even a little,, I get immune from every bud I have ever smoked .. so do tell about the bud I won't get immune to lol..Degration is accross the board from growin to smokin..peace out Headband707:dance013:

Anecdote ≠ Evidence

Umm, all of them? I've grown for years without moms, just taking clones of clones; To be honest, the quality has only improved, but that's more than likely due to my skills growing with time...

You said Anecdote does not equal evidence and then you turned around and used your own anecdote as evidence.

atomicfield

I apologize for my comments that lacked a couple of comments.

1. The EZ-Cloner will create rooting sites and roots in a time frame that is beyond exceptional. It's simply amazing.

2. How that rapid rooting process translates into a benefit across many growing processes remains a mystery to me. Then again I'm not all that bright.

I was given a brand new unit to test and I was blown away with the results. The benefits remain a mystery to me for an organic purist growing in a 'real soil' but I'm open to further information.

HTH

CC

inside tip: ez-clone is completely redesigning their machines. i've only seen the prototype. they've added controls for water temp and pump pressure, plus some other stuff I can't remember. look for them in a year.

c'mon children... can't we all just get along?

beta

Veteran
You said Anecdote does not equal evidence and then you turned around and used your own anecdote as evidence.
I'm only questioning the claim that 'clones of clones degrade over time due to the cloning process alone', not making my own own - Since I'm not making a claim, I do not need to provide any evidence.

Furthermore, I was using my own contradictory anecdotal evidence to illustrate why anecdotal evidence doesn't work.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Anecdote ≠ Evidence

Umm, all of them? I've grown for years without moms, just taking clones of clones; To be honest, the quality has only improved, but that's more than likely due to my skills growing with time...

And I'm sure this has nothing to do with tolerance, right?
Like I said bro do tell?? which one do you not get immune from?? I will tell you if thats the same bud I don't get immune too.. I guess you could say your getting better but I would really doubt that one as there is NO BUD out there that I don't get immune to again of-course it's tolerance what else would it be LOL... As far as being a better grower lol,, perhaps ... I'd say I'm pretty good at what I do..I didn't realize this was going to turn into a who has the bigger dick .. But again I have the biggest dick.. LOL peace out Headband707:wave::jump:

nah you understood something seriously wrong!

Wikipedia:
"Cloning in biology is the process of producing similar populations of genetically identical individuals that occurs in nature when organisms such as bacteria, insects or plants reproduce asexually."

very true! sure there is some dedegeneration but its very small and takes for ever to be noticed

Okay professor, I did talk earlier about the degeneration as slight, so what is seriously wrong with that?

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Presumably, growers from whom you have purchased cannabis from hold the same belief you do - That clones of clones degrade. You'd think then, that at least a few of them would take precautions like turning the seed plant into a mom from which clones can be taken. If this is the case, you've (presumably) smoked cannabis grown from 'well cared for' (from the perspective of your claim) plants, yet you continued to build a tolerance to this herb as well.

How then, can your tolerance buildup be taken as 'evidence' that clones of clones degrade?

No dicks about it, homeslice; Just pointing out that your extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence to support it before reasonable folks will believe it.

Well bro I'm still waiting for the bud that doesn't degrade from YOU???
I wouldn't be so sure that ppl I get clones from believe what I believe lol .. Do try telling a person that their gravy train has no more gravy lol..Some believe it but most just want the cash from whatever they have lol.. Atleast that is what I have found.. I have no agenda here as I would love if a clone wouldn't degrade that would be fantastic as I would have strains that I really love still here doing what I wanted them to do in the first place. You find me the none degrading bud and I will try it LOL.. peace out Headband707:tiphat:

beta

Veteran
I have no agenda here as I would love if a clone wouldn't degrade that would be fantastic as I would have strains that I really love still here doing what I wanted them to do in the first place. You find me the none degrading bud and I will try it LOL..

I would highly encourage you to not presume something for which there is no evidence to be true. You are welcome to continue assuming that genetic degradation via cloning is the cause of your 'problem', just be warned that any conclusions you draw from this flawed logic are likely untrue.

I would highly encourage you to not presume something for which there is no evidence to be true. You are welcome to continue assuming that genetic degradation via cloning is the cause of your 'problem', just be warned that any conclusions you draw from this flawed logic are likely untrue.

i think he said that he notices degradation of the bud, but not genetic degradation. so you can both be correct.

he sees overall quality decrease with successive generations, a common experience. This is probably due to genetic mutation cause by stress, but there are other possibilities.

and you are correct that genetic degradation is not the correct term.

I wanted to ask CC, I think it was... about cuttings not having tap roots versus seed plants. Does this matter in root bound pots? (I'm thinking of the typical indoor garden). PEACE ALL

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I wrote a short free verse poem about it:

lasting mutations are statistically
very rare,
pathogens are
statistically
very
common.

occam's razor.

I'm only questioning the claim that 'clones of clones degrade over time due to the cloning process alone', not making my own own - Since I'm not making a claim, I do not need to provide any evidence.

Furthermore, I was using my own contradictory anecdotal evidence to illustrate why anecdotal evidence doesn't work.

Sorry I jumped the gun on that one, after re-reading what you said made sense. I like your evidence/quantifiable observation based approach.