What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Citric Acid

MrFista

Veteran
Perhaps it is the component why citrus is not recommended for worms as it breaks down slow. Which I completely ignore and process probably a kilo of citrus peel/pith every week. It's certainly got nothing to do with a couple of acidic functional groups on the molecule - fulvic/humic are much more acidic.

I'd like to look at this buffer again, but it's a race vs time to finish my sections permaculture blitz (one handed blitz mainly) before summer school.

I think it'd be pretty easy to ascertain if this is harming your weed potential - your weight - oh, that's right, you kick everyone's ass at weight.

Still worth an investigate. MM?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
from a quick look about the net, citric acid needs to be 12% solution for use as a 'germicide' - which is thousands of times stronger than we are talking about here.

lol mr f - the yields come from squeezing as many buds into the canopy as possible.
you know those guys with white gloves that are employed to squash people into the japanese bullet train? - thats me with my buds that is :D

VG

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
A local source for citric acid has this description on the label - "Our anhydrous Citric Acid comes from the fermentation of crude fruit sugars"

Good? Bad? No big deal?

CC

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
should be fine CC - anhydrous would be more concentrated than crystals though. (crystals have water in them also)

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no formula - but mine is monohydrate

from the web the formulas (im sure MrF. know already)

C6H8O7 (anhydrous)
C6H8O7. H2O (monohydrate)

MrFista

Veteran
Thanks mate - the obvious eludes me often! That makes sense, whereas removing water from the first formula makes for some very difficult and confusing interactions my poor wee brain has been trying to work out the dehydration reaction lol....

spurr

Veteran
Using monohydrate is better IMO because it's much easier to work with. Anhydrous substances tend to absorb humidity from the air once the package is opened if they are not sealed well and right away; so it defeats the purpose of using anhydrous.

My 2 cents :)

Gastro

I'd like to bump this thread. Just curious if anyone has experimented further and gotten more conclusive results on the use of citric acid?
We have been using citric acid for quite a while now to lower water ph, however our setup isn't controlled enough yet to state whether it has any effects, either negative or positive.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hard to get conclusive results when there are so many variables, but i have used citric acid in my waterings for a few years now. i grow many different strains, many for the first time - and my plants always seem very happy and yield great. sorry i cant be more specific than that...

VG

mad librettist

Veteran
Nothing to do with citric acid, but you mention the fresh cheese is like ricotta, then talk about banana squash blossoms.. here in Italy they do a lot of things with zucchini flowers, for example, stuffing it with ricotta and baking it for about 10 minutes :D

Derail over.

that happens in my kitchen too, if there is any chance at all I am going to get laid and it's late spring.

I have to say, I like it better fried, and filled with frozen custard.

mad librettist

Veteran
being as it is a natural plant root exudate then it seems a safe thing to use in organic soil.

hmm... VG, I gotta disagree. Ammonia fertilization isn't organic, and that is a natural component in soil.

TB Gardens

Veteran
Hey great read! Thanks for posting all this info in one place, I will be using citric acid from now on.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm... VG, I gotta disagree. Ammonia fertilization isn't organic, and that is a natural component in soil.

hi mad, the comment was in relation to the possibility that citric acid may kill the soil microbes.

just found this paper that i need to try and get the full length of, but the abstract seems to go a long way to explaining why citric acid will help some important nutrients be available to plants - quite relevant for those that add dolomite to their soil too.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3546618
Calcicole species were found to exude much more oxalic and citric acid than calcifuge species

fabvariousk

Veteran
Great thread. I am a big proponent of citric acid.
I have been going through about fifty pounds every six months using it as a ph down.
I use a hundred gallon galvanized aluminum water container.
Sitting inside that container is a 2 cu ft giant peat moss tea bag I made out of an old curtain. i also have a few airstones in there.
I add a few cups of citric acid every few days and it brings the ph down to around 6.
I have a electronic ph meter that sits in the container constantly monitoring it.
My water comes out of the well around nine. The 4 dollars worth of peat that has been in there for over six months drops it a whole point. I am not sure but I think the peat also makes humic acid while breaking down.
The only problem with this sweet setup is the acid has eaten a little hole in the container.
Need to replace it with plastic.
If I am repeating myself sorry just smoked some wicked hash. yum.

G

Is the function of adding citric acid to improve smell and taste, or is it more for the health of the plant?

I give my plants orange juice (orange peel tea)
They seem to like it.
I also give them peppermint tea for fresh breath.
Going great so far
I'm thinking about having a movie night in the garden, give 'em all a little popcorn.
Ok, back to the A-Team

Granger2

Veteran
Does anyone have any definitive info or whether Citric Acid harms my microherd or not? My guess is that it harms it by dropping the pH too low if you use too much. I don't think any harm comes from judicious use.

But I'm guessing and assuming. I really need a fuh shoowah answer. Can anyone steer me to info? I spent quite a bit of time on google and elsewhere last week and no luck. Thanks. -granger

cyat

Veteran
Does anyone have any definitive info or whether Citric Acid harms my microherd or not? My guess is that it harms it by dropping the pH too low if you use too much. I don't think any harm comes from judicious use.

But I'm guessing and assuming. I really need a fuh shoowah answer. Can anyone steer me to info? I spent quite a bit of time on google and elsewhere last week and no luck. Thanks. -granger

Its super safe for the micro herd, but will absolutely destroy the macro herd!

Latest posts

Latest posts