What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Citric Acid

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool stuff. i worked in a (stilton) cheese factory for a few months.

S

SCROG McDuck

What more could one ask for..

a cheese recipe..
I'll be you could make some 'budda' outta that
curd.. fat based... and presto! cannacheese!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
So I've got the food-grade citric acid from the home-brewing store downtown. Cheap enough.

So what is a safe amount to add to water - per gallon. And how often?

I am not using dolomite lime - I use either limestone or oyster shell powder and both are Calcium Carbonate and the soft rock phosphate contains 23% Calcium (elemental)

Thanks!

CC

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CC, this should be a safe level to start. mix a tablespoon of citric acid with a pint of water and then use 2-3 tablespoons full of this in 2 gallons water.
alternatively if you have a pH pen (sorry i know it may be against your religion ;) ) then bring your pH down to about 6

Syd

ICMag Donor
One of my chem professors was also a cheese maker, and the two are entirely related. Ricotta is the easiest of all the cheeses to make, as it is not a mold, just soured milk. The dry cheeses and blue cheeses get really complicated to make.

Simple ricotta twist: Use (roasted) garlic infused milk instead of plain. Soak a smashed garlic clove in the milk, remove the clove before adding the acid. It really is super easy to make ricotta, and I have sold mine in restaurants (not exactly legal). I've only used raw citrus juice, which is mostly citric acid.

Please tell your professor to call that "thing" anyway he wants but not ricotta nor by any names of original tradictional cheeses. What a palate barbarian!

MrFista

Veteran
Nasturtium ice cream - now you got my attention. What species did you use?

People over here working on 'mood foods' with hops - meant to chill you out - perhaps I should eat some.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
That recipe...was from a bistro that I was the sous chef at. Not from college. We did very new school California food like Nasturtium Ice Cream and Garlic Ricotta and lots of molecular gastronomy tricks.
Is 'New School California' out of the cuisine disaster known as 'California Nouvelle' in the 1980's?

You know - pretentious use of ingredients under the banner of 'creativity' by adding 4 or 5 products that had no business being partnered up? Like boeuf en daube with chanterelle mushrooms, braised ramps over Forbidden Rice?

Ah yes - the other 'scene' in Cali!

CC

Matt Rize

MUSHROOM SEASON HAS BEGUN

MUSHROOM SEASON HAS BEGUN

Is 'New School California' out of the cuisine disaster known as 'California Nouvelle' in the 1980's?

You know - pretentious use of ingredients under the banner of 'creativity' by adding 4 or 5 products that had no business being partnered up? Like boeuf en daube with chanterelle mushrooms, braised ramps over Forbidden Rice?

Ah yes - the other 'scene' in Cali!

CC

Just because you asked... we were a seasonal vegetarian and sustainable-seafood bistro, with all the produce, dairy, seafood coming from within 100 miles. We were certified green and all that good stuff. The ricotta was just a brunch thing. I made rosewater. We used pectin and other vegetarian alternatives. No ramps, but lots of green garlic. Lots of herbal sorbet and ice creams like Nasturtium, lemon verbena and basil ect. I made "fries", or "chips" for you limeys, with well seasoned polenta or panisse batters...BOMB. Lots of really good local cheese, bread, and flowers (literally we picked edible flowers everyday). I digress.

Nice thread: BACK TO CITRIC ACID. 6.2 pH is ideal... for all stages of growth and varieties?

Frozenguy

Veteran
Makes sense to me. I dont pH my feeding/reg cycle water but I do pH my rockwool cubes when cloning.

I only use lemon juice and water, and since then, my roots have been coming out bigger, faster, whiter..

Maybe I should start adding some to my water to see how it maintains through the life of the plant..

Great thread!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Just because you asked... we were a seasonal vegetarian and sustainable-seafood bistro, with all the produce, dairy, seafood coming from within 100 miles. We were certified green and all that good stuff. The ricotta was just a brunch thing. I made rosewater. We used pectin and other vegetarian alternatives. No ramps, but lots of green garlic. Lots of herbal sorbet and ice creams like Nasturtium, lemon verbena and basil ect. I made "fries", or "chips" for you limeys, with well seasoned polenta or panisse batters...BOMB. Lots of really good local cheese, bread, and flowers (literally we picked edible flowers everyday). I digress.

Nice thread: BACK TO CITRIC ACID. 6.2 pH is ideal... for all stages of growth and varieties?

um... YUM!

MrFista

Veteran
Aww CC - that species is so boring and common for food! I was thinking something like nasturtium officinale - a hardcore vitamin loaded icecream with a peppery bite - MMM.

FinestKind

Wow, I started reading on page 1 and then skipped to page 4... the topic seems to have taken a sharp left turn somewhere in between :p

FK