What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cinderella 99 The Come Back

diabolito

New guy here. Glad to stumble on this thread.

I was lucky to get some C99 seeds from PeakseedsBC just before they shutdown to be legit. I'm planning on running them in the new year.

I'm reading through the past posts and will post when I get started. It'll be good to get some input on how they look in comparison to other C99s grown here.

StickyBandit

I was lucky to get some C99 seeds from PeakseedsBC just before they shutdown to be legit. I'm planning on running them in the new year.

I'm reading through the past posts and will post when I get started. It'll be good to get some input on how they look in comparison to other C99s grown here.
I think this will be my holy grail strain when they are available. Looking forward to getting some in the ground :)

cannaloop

Welcome @diabolito.

The TRSC/Kwik seeds version is from the breeder of Whish and has had that version out for awhile, prior to Angus at TRSC picking it up. Angus did confirm that it is the same, when I got the Whish C99 from HD a couple years back.

You will see that the photo of the C99 is the same on the RCMC page from 2016 and on HD as the current TRSC:

I bred a TRSC male (kept because of vigour and that it had some green jolly rancher smell to it when handled - for a period of time early on and hasn't done it since) to my 2005 JW C99 and so far the seedling have been healthy, but quite large as I think @StickyBandit has found - it appears to have dominated the cross. I will clone and flower out the females to see what I get. If there isn't something really good about them, I will trash the male and get back to the 05 JW, which I'm also selecting the last of what I had now.

Seeing the nanner on the TRSC version and hearing that the smell isn't there is good info.

I have 3 very different males from the 05 JW, including a really, really stocky male that has very short node length - it also throws out a bit of sulphur-poop smell once in awhile when it gets happy lol. I would LOVE to see the lankiness taken down and it would be so much nicer inside and easier to cover outside and have in the greenhouse. There is a medium stocky male that also throws out poop smells once in awhile, and then a lankier grow-like-hell male that is quite typical. C99 can just go ballistic outdoors and that sounds great, until it's later in fall and you're trying to deal with it. Harder to cover and protect or have in the greenhouse. I got one more female from what was left of my pack and so far she is simply a nice and typical C99. They are all going in the flower cabinet soon, once my only keeper is ready to go in there with the rest. Because it's a small cab I'm not going to do an OP, as I really feel like the first male to burst will simply get all the ladies. I will have to do 3 separate runs to really do this properly, but it's worth the time for sure.

I am guessing that the slower and stockier males are going to have better traits for end product, but I have to breed and then test the progeny of them all, as I'm not going to rush it and lose traits that may be in any one of them.

I realize that photos would help and I can follow up on that, but has anyone found a really stocky C99 before? And I mean that it's stockier than most full indicas that I've grown. It was a runt seedling that barely had living cotyledons when it came up and half of its stem was dead when it emerged from the seed. 15 years in the freezer and it made it.

Hope this isn't too blabby, but I did want to thank everyone for adding what they are finding as it really helps! + please comment on any of these observations.

Brother Nature

Hey mate, the bottom one looks very similar to the keeper female I got from my trsc pack. Mine had more of a artificial pineapple candy type smell that translates to flavour pretty well. From reading this thread it doesn’t seem to be much like the og c99, I found her best at 9 weeks which isn’t early in mists books haha. I really liked the smoke myself though, great flavour and good balance of head and body stone, but mostly cerebral. The high is definitely worth it, even if it’s not a proper c99. Hoping you at least get the same nice high from those, that top purple one looks very interesting. I crossed a few of the c99 males with that female and have had some pretty nice plants come from them. I’ll post some photos when I get a moment.
I did say I'd post a few photos so here goes....

All are at 6 weeks in flower (11/13)

Pheno 1 - Looks ok, has avg. sized buds, tight structure, strangely a liquorice/lemon smell more than anything.
full

Pheno 2 - Very sativa looking, leafy but very frosty, spindly buds, very 'hazey' or 'jack herer' smelling. I'm most excited about this one. (2x photos)

full
full

Pheno 3 - Generic citrus smell, avg. sized buds, looks like a very 50/50 hybrid

full

Pheno 4 - Citrus/licorice smell, medium sized buds, frosty, responds to stress well

full

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
Those are screaming New 99 at me and not in a good way. I dont have time to show you the comparisons right now but any purple c99 in my album is from the New. The leaves are doin the splits here and there and the fat spade looking leaflets are a key indicator along with well any purple. C99 does not turn color in cold temps all the way to 60 and colder at night in my experience. Those peaks I posted were in the lower 60's maybe upper 50's a few times and not a spec of purple.

StickyBandit

Hey mate, the bottom one looks very similar to the keeper female I got from my trsc pack. Mine had more of a artificial pineapple candy type smell that translates to flavour pretty well. From reading this thread it doesn’t seem to be much like the og c99, I found her best at 9 weeks which isn’t early in mists books haha. I really liked the smoke myself though, great flavour and good balance of head and body stone, but mostly cerebral. The high is definitely worth it, even if it’s not a proper c99. Hoping you at least get the same nice high from those, that top purple one looks very interesting. I crossed a few of the c99 males with that female and have had some pretty nice plants come from them. I’ll post some photos when I get a moment.
I'm glad you're happy with it :)
I'll give some feed back once mines ready, but they look very similar. I thought your top bud pick was mine at first glance :p
Mine haven't gotten cool at all but one is showing loads of purple and I'm curious to find out the effects even though it's not the kick ass version :)

Brother Nature

Those are screaming New 99 at me and not in a good way. I dont have time to show you the comparisons right now but any purple c99 in my album is from the New. The leaves are doin the splits here and there and the fat spade looking leaflets are a key indicator along with well any purple. C99 does not turn color in cold temps all the way to 60 and colder at night in my experience. Those peaks I posted were in the lower 60's maybe upper 50's a few times and not a spec of purple.
The purpling is interesting to me too. I'd been stressing the plants in that tent as all are new seeds I've not run before, but the temps have never gone below 24-25c as it's currently coming into summer here so the ambient temp of the surrounding room stays relatively warm. But seeing stickybuds one coloring like that makes me think there's definitely something else that has been used in this line. The licorice smell is also something I'd not seen in this thread or anything else Cindy related. I try to be optimistic with plants though and even if this isn't a great repro of c99, there's still going to be some good plants in it, I'll just have to call it something else haha. Someday I'll get to grow the proper Cindy out, but until then I'll live vicariously through this and flylow's thread.

StickyBandit

Just keep it clean. I run a tablespoon of bleach through mine for 48 hours after each use then scrub the heck out of it and replace the neoprene collars every time. I always dip in clonex quickly after cutting and remove all but the top set of leaves and the shoot about 4-5 inches total and use a sterile razor blade. RO water, calmag+ to 200ppm then add maxibloom 5-15-14 until I get to 450 ppm and ph at 5.8.

I also have mine on a short cycle timer so I water 2 minutes then 5 min off so the rez temp stays cool no matter what the room temp is. You don't need much light and I still have a few blue spectrum CFL's that I use if its just for a few cuts. They seem to work great.

I dont mess with checking the ph either but if you are new to hydro I would daily. I just set mine and leave it until they are done. I might add back to maintain 450 and adjust ph after 10 days if they arent ready. Usually they are fully rooted in 10-14 days. Visible roots as early as 4 days but thats a record for me I think and just nubs or one root.

I think the key is keeping it clean and using a bloom nutrient as the rooting process requires the same NPK ratio. I know a couple guys on here that simply cannot get an aero to work but atleast one of them refuses to use anything other than his high N veg+bloom one part mix. The maxi is not only cheap but gives great results as a standalone as well. I've used everything from PBP, GH, recently Canna and Maxi which is also GH. I prefer it to a soil mix as I know exactly what I am giving the plants.
Hey @LostTribe . I tried straight water and it didn't work after about 2 weeks so I tried your method last Wednesday and IT WORKS. 5 days to visible roots :D
I used rainwater, Flairform CMX to 200ppm and Flairform Budstorm 0,11,13 to 450ppm
I had those additives handy already so I didn't have to buy them and I didn't even sterilize anything but I did use some rooting compound.
The spinny thing that came with the cloner was useless so I used a shower nozzle style fountain which is great because it's big and doesn't block
Anyways, I just thought I'd give this method the thumbs up so others might benefit. Cheers bud :D (y)

LostTribe

Premium user
Hey @LostTribe . I tried straight water and it didn't work after about 2 weeks so I tried your method last Wednesday and IT WORKS. 5 days to visible roots :D
I used rainwater, Flairform CMX to 200ppm and Flairform Budstorm 0,11,13 to 450ppm
I had those additives handy already so I didn't have to buy them and I didn't even sterilize anything but I did use some rooting compound.
The spinny thing that came with the cloner was useless so I used a shower nozzle style fountain which is great because it's big and doesn't block
Anyways, I just thought I'd give this method the thumbs up so others might benefit. Cheers bud :D (y)
Awsome! When you remove the cuts thats when you MUST bleach it out. Just dump the water and refill with plain water and mix in a couple tablespoons of bleach and run it for 48 hours and then dump and scrub everything you can reach down with a non abrasive scrub pad.

The key is the ppm and the right mix of cal, mg, P and K. They love it! Glad you got some cuts and isnt it easy that way? Leave them in until they have enough roots but not too many roots. You can also trim the long roots back as you put them into media, it wont hurt them at all just use clean scissors.

I sterilize everything so that goes for scissors, razor blades, cloner etc.

LostTribe

Premium user
I will add that it is imperative to keep the temps of the rez water down. Right now it might be colder where you are. In warm climates I recommend using aero in an enviroment with cooling. A cycle timer is also good to keep handy. I always run on a cycle timer now. 1 minute on 5 minutes off is sufficient. This keeps the rez water temp down. If the solution is warm to the touch its too warm.

LostTribe

Premium user
If any of the cut tips down there ever starts to go mushy or dark check it and if its goo or gone soft remove it and start a new cutting. I always take long snips and cut just below a node to make my bottom so they have 3 slices, one for the bottom and 2 for the fan leaves.

harvestreaper

Veteran
did i inspired you to start you own c99 thread? ...bravo!!

they look uniform... she used to show sex pretty early ...any sign of what you have? how were the germ rates? please post updates as regularly as possible

here is a pic of the original F1 Brothers Grimm C99 > 1999 vintage

she had a very special "quality of high" , i never seemed to tire of her

picture.php
takes me back hearing bros grimm think it was them i got the killer queen off around those years best phenos were real nice smoke beautiful scissor hash to ,,c99 identical to pineapple pheno from first release of jackera imo

LostTribe

Premium user
Punch line tester (click to zoom)
5783F10B-DF2E-46B9-86CC-682055184E5A.jpeg

Looking alot like the mom. She's at about 49 days from flip but they do not have her on a strict 18/6 or 12/12 photoperiod. Taking a wee bit longer but should finish up pretty quick I think. What do you guys think?

Dime

UPDATED June 2022

Summary: Before you throw away $150 on Mr Soul's "recreation of cinderella" I recommend looking elsewhere as real Cinderella is still available and at a fraction of that price.

No. I do NOT believe his release to be real and likely 50% Cinderella at best and have chosen to exclude it from the list below due to many discrepancies with the offering and I cannot with a good conscience be a part of promoting something I do not find to be genuine.

Now lets check out some REAL Cinderella 99!!! I have 2 decades experience with this varietal. Further info about many many different offerings of cinderella are found within these pages.

PEAK SEEDS BC BEST CINDY
Credit where credit is due.

These recent pics/plants were from MJ over at Peak Seeds BC. I expect that he's keep the same parents going. He had some people try out different combinations of moms and males, which is the way to do it. Not quick and somewhat time consuming. I ran one of these a couple years ago, but only one seed. It was better than the Joey I had in with it. Recently I was searching through another one of the forums at another site and found some truly amazing pics that instantly re ignited my interest in looking through more of these. I ran one. Just one and found that "Metal" pheno. The "Punch" was found in the same pack and another 2 were grapefruit but fat and potent none the less. All very encrusted and very potent sativa smoke on plants that finish mid 50's. MJ seems to have improved stem strength a bit too. Hats off to them for this.

History on this like is that it started out with the original release from Brothers Grimm>Joey Weed 1st release> 1 pack from I believe Frost Bros> Given to MJ at Peak to preserve.

Hands down the BOTB, Best of the Best, Cindy I've ran out of most of the remakes and this one is definately a cut above the other offerings. They are different from Joey Weed's current release but I feel fairly strongly that may be due to selection. I ran out one pack from Peak and have a couple extra to hang onto.

Truth be told this stuff is so fire it makes me so jittery I keep saying I need to stop smokin it.

Its the real deal thats for certain. Any of the buds want to check some of mine its cool but otherwise give Peak a try and I bet we may find some ever more killer Cinderella in those beans. I think this about brings our project to somewhat of a close or maybe a transition into what everyone else might find in this offering. Hopefully this info will help others with anything from preservation to what things happen when lines go from P1>F2>F3 and onwards.

Peak Seeds BC Cinderella 99 mom - Metal
View media item 18117820
View media item 18090806
View media item 18090014

The Legend of Cinderella is that of a 50 day heavy leaning sativa plant. These plants grew decent buds but lacked strength in the stem structure. The smoke itself was revered by many as a hypnotic and some plants may have the potency to cause some smokers to freak out and have extreme paranoia and anxiety. Smells and tastes were something very rare, fruit as well as baby poo and spice. The fruity characteristics were lost in the majority of lines I have tried over the past decade, longer actually.

This thread started as a search for my long Lost Holy Grail known as Cinderella 99. Over the past decade I have continued to keep searching. With most results leaving me with a great deal to be desired. Lots of times I wanted to just give up and look to new strains that it seems everyone is interested in and give up on what once was. Recent findings have given rise to a new feeling of hope. There is still a great deal to be done. The road we travel is long and rough but its not about the final destination its about what we experience and learn along the way that makes us who we are.

It feels surreal to finally have run into species with such similarities to the original lines. The euphoric smoke is most pleasant and should be held among the best varieties of time. The #1 is a very Euphoric experience, long lasting, floating, flying, mind numbing ride lacking the paranoia and raciness of my other keeper. #4 is a completely different creature, the fear comes out quite often, speedy, racy and definitely paranoia inducing floral mango esque sweet yet deadly experience not created for the novice smoker. I prefer the #1 as it is a multi dimensional experience without the hellish extremes of the other line. These take a few more days than the originals but not more than a week IMHO, in a dialed environment they could finish very close to 50 days. I normally take them to 58.

Important Notes:

I have run:
Original C99 2002
F2's
Gno3
Gno3 f2's
f3's
Dutchgrown f2
FMS C99
Mosca F1
Mosca Bx1
Joey Weed C99
Nuggetshiners Foundry C99
FDM C99 F3
The Real Seed Co C99
PEAK SEEDS BC CINDY 99 (BEST AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR COLLECTORS AND PRESERVATIONISTS)

An important note for those that are new to C99 and what this thread is really all about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefingchong View Post
Joey Weed description states - "You will get 99.9% of what you get from the original."

is this tested to be untrue?

ANSWER:
I believe Mr. Soul used to make that comment that she was true breeding and that JW probably included that in his own description as well.

BUT, if that were true we would all have plenty of super DANK c99 everywhere we looked would we not?

It comes down to the dominant and recessive alleles within each singular female and male plant which are bred to one another in 1:1 matings.

Conclusion:(just with regard to your question)
With regard to the most sought after characteristics of the Original Cinderella P.97 C99 plants, Grapefruit appears to be much more dominant within the line, than the more sweet and Tropical expressions. It may have been a case of too small a population left behind to breed with or it may be a case of seed makers chucking without testing. Facts are that most HS seed stock was depleted within months of the disappearance of Brothers Grimm Seeds. Additionally, most growers choose to cull all male plants, even then I find C99 to produce a higher ratio of females. Odds are that not enough males were kept to find a proper mating. Then comes standard breeding principles regarding dominant and recessive combinations.

I believe all 3 of these issues have played a role in the current state which we find the line in today.

Nevil believed strongly in 1:1 matings which takes ample time and loads of testing of progeny, while maintaining all males and females in clone form. BG originally took another route with the use of cubing the line. It took them 2.5 years to complete. Some things I have read from Gregor Mendel since that time lead me to believe that this cubing process may have been the cause of a degradation within the line to where we are now. This time BG tried to one off a line with 1 male and no testing and was destined for failure, either due to loss of Princess or due to no testing of the 1:1 mating. Most "breeders" of today are not breeding. But that's dependent on the individual and I am not calling anyone out its just my opinion. I have been guilty of that too in fact.

Good Vibrations
:ying:
LT
outdoor cindy

Attachments

• 20201216_145335 (2).jpg
    20201216_145335 (2).jpg
    213 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201217_122346 (2).jpg
    20201217_122346 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50

johnnylawrence

A Real Cinder-feller Story.... A few years ago, a friend of mine was getting ready to leave town after the summer, and he was offering several different kinds of weed at bargain prices. I picked up some Alien OG, C99, and Blue Dream. I only found one seed in all three half-ounces that I ended up with, and that was from the C99. I didn't actually find it until about a year or so later. The dark brown seed was deep in the middle of the very last bud in the C99 bag. I considered myself lucky to have found a female seed (likely female), and I planted it. Well, it had trouble cracking out of the shell completely, which I helped with. Then it looked to be sort of a mutant... see the pic.
DSCN7093.JPG

Since I am no longer young and impatient, I took my time and let it grow. After what seemed like a really long time (probably a month or six weeks), it corrected itself and started growing like a normal seedling. It was vigorous - super-vigorous. I had to chop off all the tops at least once to keep it from growing too tall. I started flowering it when it looked mature, and my female.... was a male!
DSCN7125.JPG
DSCN7126.JPG

I crossed it to my sativa-leaning Mango Haze female and made some excellent seeds. Many of the offspring are super-resinous and all are fairly dense. There are some one-hit wonders (or very close to that). They range from Indica-looking to more Sativa-looking than the Mango Haze mother. Most are sort of in the middle. I trust the person I got the C99 from to correctly label his strains, and it smelled like pineapple. The buds were sort of a brown color due to a large amount of brown/red hairs. Most notably, the C99 buds the seed came from were dense. You could drop a nug on the table and hear a -thud-. I think it is probably C99 (correctly labeled), but I'm not sure what 'type' it is, if anyone thinks it looks like what they have, from a certain breeder or whatever. I actually had a couple of original C99 females back around 2000 or 2001, I and thought they were decent but hardly 'the holy grail.' Smallish plants with paranoia-inducing brownish buds that made colors look brighter than normal... that's what I recall. The C99 buds I got from my friend, the source of the male seed, also had the color-brightening effect. Sorry about the 'blurple' light, but I think you can still see. Notice the jagged leaves with aberrant serrations.

As far as the rebirth of Brothers Grimm, Mr. Soul always sounded like an older, slightly-snooty, middle-aged European man when he posted online 20+ years ago and wrote strain descriptions. That was a long time ago. I am inclined to wonder if the current, not-old-looking Mr. Soul could be the son of the original Mr. Soul or something like that. Maybe the 'new' C99 is not the only thing that is not genuine.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

There is a look at the end of my run of Peak BC C99. Courtesy of LostTribe, a C99 affectionado.

Dime

A Real Cinder-feller Story.... A few years ago, a friend of mine was getting ready to leave town after the summer, and he was offering several different kinds of weed at bargain prices. I picked up some Alien OG, C99, and Blue Dream. I only found one seed in all three half-ounces that I ended up with, and that was from the C99. I didn't actually find it until about a year or so later. The dark brown seed was deep in the middle of the very last bud in the C99 bag. I considered myself lucky to have found a female seed (likely female), and I planted it. Well, it had trouble cracking out of the shell completely, which I helped with. Then it looked to be sort of a mutant... see the pic.
View attachment 18796156
Since I am no longer young and impatient, I took my time and let it grow. After what seemed like a really long time (probably a month or six weeks), it corrected itself and started growing like a normal seedling. It was vigorous - super-vigorous. I had to chop off all the tops at least once to keep it from growing too tall. I started flowering it when it looked mature, and my female.... was a male!
View attachment 18796158 View attachment 18796159
I crossed it to my sativa-leaning Mango Haze female and made some excellent seeds. Many of the offspring are super-resinous and all are fairly dense. There are some one-hit wonders (or very close to that). They range from Indica-looking to more Sativa-looking than the Mango Haze mother. Most are sort of in the middle. I trust the person I got the C99 from to correctly label his strains, and it smelled like pineapple. The buds were sort of a brown color due to a large amount of brown/red hairs. Most notably, the C99 buds the seed came from were dense. You could drop a nug on the table and hear a -thud-. I think it is probably C99 (correctly labeled), but I'm not sure what 'type' it is, if anyone thinks it looks like what they have, from a certain breeder or whatever. I actually had a couple of original C99 females back around 2000 or 2001, I and thought they were decent but hardly 'the holy grail.' Smallish plants with paranoia-inducing brownish buds that made colors look brighter than normal... that's what I recall. The C99 buds I got from my friend, the source of the male seed, also had the color-brightening effect. Sorry about the 'blurple' light, but I think you can still see. Notice the jagged leaves with aberrant serrations.

As far as the rebirth of Brothers Grimm, Mr. Soul always sounded like an older, slightly-snooty, middle-aged European man when he posted online 20+ years ago and wrote strain descriptions. That was a long time ago. I am inclined to wonder if the current, not-old-looking Mr. Soul could be the son of the original Mr. Soul or something like that. Maybe the 'new' C99 is not the only thing that is not genuine.
I think when most vendors went fem across the board a lot was lost in the name of greed. I grew sensi star when it was fairly new and it would kick very hard,too hard for some people ,I have grown the fem version maybe 5 years ago or so and it only shared looks. It was ok but not close to what once was.

Latest posts

Latest posts