What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Thai Revival

unnamedmike

I think you would improve the germination using in vitro techniques, Mysticfunk has good information about this, some of your pics are samples they are living seeds, just need more time, the in vitro would give it. Subbed :lurk:

Last edited:

clearheaded

now this ain't very high tech, but alfalfa tea might assist you in getting those seeds going. you can buy alfalfa pellets at your local farm store pretty inexpensively, $15.00 for 50# bag, or alfalfa meal at various places in smaller quantities. forget the npk ratios in alfalfa, it's the other goodies it contains that you're after.

in a food grade bucket mix a cup of alfalfa pellets in a couple gallons of "clean" water. when i make 5 gallons i use 2-3 cups of pellets. let the pellets soak for about 30 minutes stirring a few times along the way to make sure the pellets all break up.

secure an air tight lid on bucket and let it sit for 3 or 4 days. either room temp or outside temp is ok. i make it in the summer when it's 90 degrees plus and leave it outside in the shade. works fine. i've left it brewing for over a week before and no adverse effects. no need to check/open bucket while brewing and do not open bucket inside a living area as it's going to stink.

once opened stir it up good and then strain it through a pillowcase or similar item. mix about a cup or so of the strained liquid in a gallon of clean water to soak seeds in. water soil with same before and after placement of new sprouts.

i use this mixture on my seeds and experience has shown me this mixture makes for a potent, non burning feeding right from the start promoting quick and hearty growth to plants both above and in the soil. on young plants during veg i've seen them stretch a couple inches overnight after a watering with this mixture. leaves will curl and do funny stuff before returning to normal. limbs can thicken up over night too and roots will take off!

i use this mixture throughout the entire life cycle (not every watering) and it's turned out to be one of the best things i've ever done. it's also fun to watch how the plants respond too. i've noticed the younger the plants the more "quick" the changes are to transform the growth of the plant. perhaps this will make using it on your older seeds even more profound? i honestly don't know, but i wouldn't hesitate to try.

i've never tried to crack old seeds using this mixture, but since you have so many seeds to work with...

good luck to ya! now get cracking!

funny things may be herbacides or glyphosate from the feilds..

rolandomota

Veteran
Worm bins. Sprout them in a worm bin. We had someone sprout old Mexican seeds here vintage Mexican seed sprouting 25 to 30 year old seeds. You can thank me later by hooking me up with some free chocolate Thai seeds through the new seed bay thats coming soon or not and just say cool thanks for the Info it's all good. Courtesy of mystic funk thank you for not giving up and your welcome
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334985

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Worm bins? Was planning on doing some for fishing this year and maybe I will.
I guess those warm castings provide instant seedling food.
We don't know how all things work, but sometimes they just do.

Will try the fish heater first. A steady temp and humidity is good.

Many have asked me for these seeds and lets just keep trying to get them to go first. :tiphat:

Attachments

• Thai.jpg
    Thai.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can try pulling the shells off the embryos and see if that help things. I have had a few that stunted but after a few weeks the plant slowly developed.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
You can try pulling the shells off the embryos and see if that help things. I have had a few that stunted but after a few weeks the plant slowly developed.

Prior to putting seed in water or soil? I'm curious on the details as I could definitely benefit from this method if it is to do with seeds with poor germination

Have you tried pasteurizing the soil before planting seed?

maybe even sterilizing and keeping the planter in a very clean environment.

SUPER_HAZE

Hi.

I would try the plagron seedbooster. germinate in low nutrient soil and pH 6-6.5 with distilled water at pH 6.5 and a constant temperature of 24 ° 25 °.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Prior to putting seed in water or soil? I'm curious on the details as I could definitely benefit from this method if it is to do with seeds with poor germination

If I see the seed is struggling to break free of the shell I will then pull the shell off, this is while it is in the paper towel so very early. That might help it along, can not hurt. It goes into the soil at that point.

I have also tried putting fresh worm castings into distilled water let it set a day and use that to germinate seeds.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks everyone and lots of good ideas.

I soaked the seeds in h2o2 and bleach for only 3 mins
Will try doing the same for 5 mins next time.

Will boil some soil. I use Reverse Osmosis water and will boil that too.

Only do a few seeds first.

The seeds pop out of their shells fine on their own.
The shoots grow a very small amount in water and seem to stop here.
My water is around 7ph and have to test it again after boiling. Can test the soil after boiling too.
I put them in soil and they don't come up.

Night4wings20

Thanks everyone and lots of good ideas.

I soaked the seeds in h2o2 and bleach for only 3 mins
Will try doing the same for 5 mins next time.

Will boil some soil. I use Reverse Osmosis water and will boil that too.

Only do a few seeds first.

The seeds pop out of their shells fine on their own.
The shoots grow a very small amount in water and seem to stop here.
My water is around 7ph and have to test it again after boiling. Can test the soil after boiling too.
I put them in soil and they don't come up.

They need a little extra boost. I read a little of that worm bin method thread and that seems to be the best in terms of germination rate. 67% is pretty damn good for 20+year old seeds.

I have some old seeds myself and I have tried the paper towel method with normal water, h202 pre-soak and normal water. Last thing I tried was h202 pre-soak and then put them into water like normal but with a air-stone to increase oxygen levels in the water.

The last thing I tried boosted them enough to retain a longer tap root but just like you once they hit the soil they don't pop.

Either try the worm bin method or GA3. These methods (so far) are the best i have witness in terms of success :)

Good luck!

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
If I see the seed is struggling to break free of the shell I will then pull the shell off, this is while it is in the paper towel so very early. That might help it along, can not hurt. It goes into the soil at that point.

I have also tried putting fresh worm castings into distilled water let it set a day and use that to germinate seeds.

Thank you brother :tiphat:

King Rat

get some rhizotonic from canna and try this one:

soak them 24h in RO
spill out on a plate with a paper towel and cover with paper towel - then sprinkle some RO water with H2O2 over that top paper towel (use 3 drops 35%H2O2 per 100ml) cover the plate with a second plate upside down
after 24h get 2 fresh clean plates, paper towels and repeat the steps but now use rhizotonic (4ml per L) instead of the H2O2

maybe that works for you

bestothebest

I feel like the work bin is a good bet. But it HAS TO BE A GOOD BIN. If it is not an older bin, that has been processed enough, it probably won’t work. I suspect that the worms create the perfect humidity, nutrient conditions, etc for the seeds, and if the worms have not finished doing their job, the seeds won’t germ as well.

Sachiel

Hey guys,

I read all 22 pages of this ongoing struggle to get these genetics back to life. I myself are a fan of these spindy Thai girls! So I registered to this forum!
Has anyone considered employing tissue culture techniques? I mean, the main problem with these old seeds is, that most of the stored nutients in the cotyledond are used up. The cells themselfes (in the embryo) should still be viable.
I myself started to cultivate callus derrived from sterilized Seeds/Cotyledons. This callus can then be turned into meristems (growth-nodes) wich will grow into small plants. This is all done in sterile in Vitro cultures. These small plants can then be taken out of the vials and acclimatised to normal indoor conditions.
I´m not a native speaker, so if you need me to clarify anything just let me know ;)

I would also post some pics of my setup (sterile workbench etc) if there is intrest.

G

Hey guys,

I read all 22 pages of this ongoing struggle to get these genetics back to life. I myself are a fan of these spindy Thai girls! So I registered to this forum!
Has anyone considered employing tissue culture techniques? I mean, the main problem with these old seeds is, that most of the stored nutients in the cotyledond are used up. The cells themselfes (in the embryo) should still be viable.
I myself started to cultivate callus derrived from sterilized Seeds/Cotyledons. This callus can then be turned into meristems (growth-nodes) wich will grow into small plants. This is all done in sterile in Vitro cultures. These small plants can then be taken out of the vials and acclimatised to normal indoor conditions.
I´m not a native speaker, so if you need me to clarify anything just let me know ;)

I would also post some pics of my setup (sterile workbench etc) if there is intrest.

Please do show your set up.:tiphat:

Sachiel

All right, here are some pictures I have on hand. Maybe I`ll make some more on my next run.

picture.php

This is my sterile workbench. Basically its a laminar flow of sterile air (fitered by a HEPA filter) in wich you can work without introducing unwanted microbes onto your media.

picture.php

These are leaftips of a variegated Shoot. I was hoping to produce a whole variegated plant by inducing calus from them an then have these callus produce shoots, but unfotrunately the arising shoots had lost their variegation.

picture.php

Here is anoter Batch of these after abbout two weeks on the induction media. Callus has formed on the rim of the leaf pieces and can now be taken off. The small callus are then transplanted onto fresh media to have them grow further.

Next week or so, I´m going to attempt to induce some callus from some Vietnam seeds my Dad sourced from one of his friends. He said they came here around 1976

Night4wings20

Hey guys,

I'm interested to see your setup, I have some old seeds from 1970-2000 which could benefit from your step by step methodology :)

Latest posts

Latest posts