What's new

Chitosan

h1ghscore1

@bubbabear you mind sharing at what dose's you have used the regalia at/ successes? you mentioned a study showing more harm than good at 1.5x the recommended dose.

BubbaBear

I use it at 20-30ml per gallon. I tried to find the study but couldn't. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a half strength dosage works best in some circumstances.

Also you should consider using Regalia first then chitosan, regalia is kinda thick to be spraying on your flowers week 5-6. Chitosan is cleaner and works at a lower dosage, 50-100ppm should do the trick.

h1ghscore1

i really appreciate your time to answer these question @bubbabear, tis all noted.. just awaiting on the arrival of regalia. :tiphat:

growshopfrank

Veteran
Don't use HCl..jeese

Vinegar yes, Citric acid yes, Phosphoric acid yes, but not HCl

I harvest 25-30% with Actyl salycilic acid. Just because Arabadopsis gets bald from it don't mean it does to Cannabis. I can't not use it..got dudding to work around right now.

Not trying to derail this thread but i have seen some grows that had severe cases of dudding turned around by treating the mom stock with pylon might be worth a try
http://www.plantproducts.com/ca/images/Pylon_Miticide_Insecticide_label_2014-05-01.pdf
Read user instructions ...no surfactant reguired

shaggyballs

Veteran
Not trying to derail this thread but i have seen some grows that had severe cases of dudding turned around by treating the mom stock with pylon might be worth a try
http://www.plantproducts.com/ca/images/Pylon_Miticide_Insecticide_label_2014-05-01.pdf
Read user instructions ...no surfactant reguired

Hey Frank, this is not meant to be directed at you.
Also I am Not the pot police, this is just FYI.

For Ornamental Crops in Commercial Greenhouses, nonfood
use.
Please use at your own Discretion.
https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-129093_01-Jan-01.pdf

Peace Frank
:smoke out:
shag

EDIT:
I see it is labeled for use on fruiting vegetables.
So I may be eating Crow here, but I hope to learn the truth.
Anyone know if this is a good choice for cannabis?????

Grøn

Chitisan oligo.., Phosphite and other chemicals that induce ISR should if use at every feed been in the low 20PPM if used weekly use it at a more heavy dose 80-100PPM

Try make an row and give it a high dosis 100PPM with every feed you will get extreem crystalisation but yeild will drop 10-20% thats what i see, try foliar feed 1 plant every time you are in the grow room and see what happens =)

unklemike

Hello everybody . I'm curious how far into flowering can chitosan oligosaccharide lactate be sprayed on the buds? Also how often is it applied and at what ppm for resin production?

Hello everybody . I'm curious how far into flowering can chitosan oligosaccharide lactate be sprayed on the buds? Also how often is it applied and at what ppm for resin production?

If you search at ic you can find another informative thread about chitosan. There is a good read at the logical gardener as well as a link to a comprehensive scholarly text.

Ive been using 200ppm foliar about every 5 days. Ive done this for tbe last 5 weeks. Plants are @ day 60 12/12.

doneit

Veteran
This has been asked before but i can not find an answer?? Can Chitosan capsules from GNC be used?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
GNC? Doesn't that stand for Gypsy Nirvana Collection? Since when does he sell food supplements? :)
Likely, there are other additives in there, like magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, or silica. Most won't disturb your plants much but just won't dissolve in the water. You should check the label ;) .

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anybody know if using chitosan with ogbiowar is alright, or would be counter productive?

BubbaBear

You shouldn't have any issues, the chitosan will feed the microbes and the microbes will breakdown the chitosan to chitinase which wards off insects

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Thats wuts up. I just wasnt sure cuz i know it stopped powdery mildew which is i think a fungus so wasnt sure if it would hurt the benneficial fungus found in ogbiowar.

BubbaBear

It's something I've always been on the fence about till recently, you always hear about chitosan being used to prevent PM and it's anti microbial qualities but also how it enhances microbes in the root zone, from what I've gathered the oligosaccarides in chitosan feed microbes but chitosan causes a SAR reaction in plants that causes plants to ward off pests including PM. so it's not the chitosan killing micobes it's the defence mechanism it causes in the plant to ward off damaging microbes, It can be pretty confusing, I still scratch my head about it. I do know that everybody's favorite company Monsanto uses chitosan oligosaccarides in there new line of microbial based products to enhance mycorizial and microbe production, they call it lipo-chitooligosaccharide (LCO) technology. Just to be safe I wouldn't throw chitosan in when brewing tea or apply it at the same time as biowar, alternate them instead.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
@Bubba

Just my from-time-to-time-nitpicking:
- Chitinase it the enzyme used to break down chitin into N-acetyl glucosamine. Not only bacteria but also plants, fungi, and even animals have such enzymes.
- Lipo-chitooligosaccharide does not equal chitosan. LCO simply contain short-chained chitosan backbones. The two compounds have things in common too but should be treated as separate chemicals ;) .

BubbaBear

Hello OO, Damn you and your actual science contradicting my bro science once again. LOL jk, your insight is always appreciated. So is the chitinase enzyme produced when chitosan is broken down by microbes?

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Hello OO, Damn you and your actual science contradicting my bro science once again. LOL jk, your insight is always appreciated. So is the chitinase enzyme produced when chitosan is broken down by microbes?

chitinase enzyme is what is used to break down chitin into chitosan if my memory servers me correct. once i started using crab meal, frass and bud factor x i stopped researching chitosan/chitin bc i see the power these things has done to the same strain grow with it and without it and there is a huge difference in trichome/terpene oil production and over all plant health and vigor