What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Something I ran across -

Particular examples of formulation ingredients include ionic, non-ionic, and zwitterionic surfactants, such as TRITON® X-IOO, TRITON® X-114, NP-40, SILWET, and sodium dodecyl sulfate; alcohols; synthetic or natural oils, such as castor oil, canola (rapeseed) oil, and soybean oil; soaps; and adjuvants derived from natural sources, such as lecithin, saponin, cocodiethanolamide, and extracts from yucca, coconut, and pine. Additionally, for example, citric acid may be used to acidify a formulation, and compounds such as dipotassium phosphate, calcium carbonate, and potassium silicate may be used to raise the pH. In some embodiments, it may be beneficial to use ingredients that are high in compounds that play a role in the octadecanoic pathway. For example, canola oil is high in linoleic and linolenic acids, compounds that play a role in the octadecanoic pathway. Soaps of linoleic, linolenic, and ds-7,10,13-hexadecatrienoic acids may also be desirable formulation ingredients in some embodiments. An MDHJ formulation used in embodiments of the invention may also include fixative and extender compounds, in order to reduce volatility and evaporation of the active ingredient or ingredients, so as to increase exposure of the plant to the active ingredient. Exemplary fixatives include canola oil, castor oil, benzoyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate and synthetic musks, and sandalwood. Gums, waxes, and other carbohydrates, such as carnauba wax, carob gum, dextrins, dextrose, gellan gum, guar gum, paraffin wax, sorbitol, xanthan gum, polyvinylpyrrolidone, and glycerin, may also be used as fixatives.

Below is a formulation, not sure if it is appropriate -

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/WO2009137258A2/imgf000007_0001.png

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
...such as TRITON® X-IOO, TRITON® X-114, NP-40, SILWET, and sodium dodecyl sulfate...cocodiethanolamide...
Wretch! The rest is rather useless by itself and that patent is one of the reasons why I don't like patents as source for safe and useful information.
Saponins are nice but not your best bet for the intended use and most additives won't do any good but are rather proof that the inventor has zero idea of galenic formulations.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Jasmonic acid is a hormone...yea? Aren't a lot of hormones effective at parts per billion?

Any chance a plant bred by pollen chucking could over produce ja on its own? Producing tiny buds that are just ridiculously covered in essential oil?

I think I have one

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Yes, jasmonic acid is a very active hormone but the chemical derivative dihydrojasmonic acid is rather weak.
Also, mutants for most anything are possible...

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I just want to be safe, and not hurt anyone. Could my Methyl Dihydrojasmonate 25X OD, be harmful to smoke or vape???

It improved effect, tremendously!!!!!!

Applied it 2 weeks before harvest, since it is supposed to stop growth. May experiment with GG4, and letting run longer, maybe a week.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
...Could my Methyl Dihydrojasmonate 25X OD, be harmful to smoke or vape???...
Most likely not. Although, it has never been smoke tested (like nearly every other chemical too). Hence, there is no telling what might or might not happen. Judging from its structure and physico-chemical properties, harmful effects are most likely very similar to any common essential oil constituent (aka "terps") and those are smoked without anyone asking for toxicity (although some like myrcene will form new and unknown compounds once heated enough).

KONY

Veteran
What sorta turn around time did you guys have on email response from best chitosan?
Its too bad you can't just order from the website without interaction. Waiting for them to get back to me...

For now i've started using asprin in veg, however would like to get the chitosan for flower too.

I wonder if I should have emailed them directly and not used the form on the website?

edit: damn i shoulda read the website sooner: says to email them directly for faster response.

Last edited:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I emailed them and asked to send PayPal pay link, total return time was 10 days from email to chito at the door.

whatsmells

It took 14 days from 1st contact to at my door. 10 days from when paypal cleared. My order set in customs for 5 days. They opened the package and took a sample.

iTarzan

CocktailFrank and Whatsmells does the stuff you have smell like vinegar and have a brown color or is it white like powdered sugar with very slight sour smell?

whatsmells

CocktailFrank and Whatsmells does the stuff you have smell like vinegar and have a brown color or is it white like powdered sugar with very slight sour smell?

Mine has more of a sweet taste, with moisture it becomes sticky and is more light yellowish. More of a dirty light yellow.

whatsmells

I am running GG#4 on all my tables and have been getting 2% to 4% duds on my last few runs. After adding chitosan in 3 different feedings, 2 in veg and 1 at the start of flower I can say I don't have a single dud. On top of that they have more trichs and a stronger smell. They are at 5 weeks and the duds would have shown up by now. No frost, smell like fresh cut grass and so on. So far so good. I will post in 5 more weeks at harvest time.

I am running GG#4 on all my tables and have been getting 2% to 4% duds on my last few runs. After adding chitosan in 3 different feedings, 2 in veg and 1 at the start of flower I can say I don't have a single dud. On top of that they have more trichs and a stronger smell. They are at 5 weeks and the duds would have shown up by now. No frost, smell like fresh cut grass and so on. So far so good. I will post in 5 more weeks at harvest time.

Yo man how did things turn out?

KONY

Veteran
Yo man how did things turn out?

I am also curious. I have been using it for a few months now, about once a week, and have noticed less duding, however plants are still being stressed by something and it's reflecting the buds.

My guava bud lowers look completely normal, smell very nice and are coated in trichs, however the buds getting more direct light yellow prematurely, throw orange hairs prematurely and don't swell up like the lower ones. They still smoke okay, however they don't look nearly as nice and don't have the same amount of terps. I have been turning them into oil and getting ~15% return of high quality oil. Or selling them for ~%20 less than my normal amount.